Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tweeter install? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51394)

Prog 11-15-2013 08:35 AM

Tweeter install?

I'm about two steps above a total noob when it comes to audio, so I apologize in advance for the dumb question. I've only done one speaker install on an S13 with no tweeters, so I've never installed tweeters. I've taken out the mid and the tweeter in my BRZ and noticed that when one is removed, the other doesn't work. So my question is, how do you installs mids/tweeters in our cars? (I just want to drop in new speakers, possibly add an amp and a sub later.) Do you have to cut the factory wires? Is there a guide somewhere? I've looked for a harness for it with no luck. Both the tweeters and the mids have plugs that go into them instead of just wires, and I know normal speakers don't have plugs, but do tweeters?

JPFr-s 11-19-2013 10:48 AM

I couldn't find any harnesses either.. The tweeter harness has 4 speaker wires going into it. 2 are coming from the headunit and 2 going back out to the mid. If you disconnect the tweeter, obviously you will have no sound to the mid. Just cut the wires and re-connect for your configuration. Use a meter to determine which are coming from the head unit to save a little time, as the colors are not the same on R and L sides. If you're running the factory head unit, don't expect much difference in sound quality, and remember that the factory mids are 2ohm. I took out the dash mids all together and ran a nice 2-way setup in front with a 10inch sub in back. Not too pricey and sounds pretty nice. Of course this is with a new headunit and some amps driving all of the channels.. Good luck.

Prog 11-21-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPFr-s (Post 1340142)
I couldn't find any harnesses either.. The tweeter harness has 4 speaker wires going into it. 2 are coming from the headunit and 2 going back out to the mid. If you disconnect the tweeter, obviously you will have no sound to the mid. Just cut the wires and re-connect for your configuration. Use a meter to determine which are coming from the head unit to save a little time, as the colors are not the same on R and L sides. If you're running the factory head unit, don't expect much difference in sound quality, and remember that the factory mids are 2ohm. I took out the dash mids all together and ran a nice 2-way setup in front with a 10inch sub in back. Not too pricey and sounds pretty nice. Of course this is with a new headunit and some amps driving all of the channels.. Good luck.

It really sucks to have to cut the wire, though. That's one of the reasons I was hoping to find a harness.

Also, I don't know how/what to do with a meter, so...

I don't have a factory head unit, and I don't know what 2 ohm really means or why it matters. Can you see why I just want a harness now? :bonk:

infinite012 11-21-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog (Post 1344302)
It really sucks to have to cut the wire, though. That's one of the reasons I was hoping to find a harness.

Also, I don't know how/what to do with a meter, so...

I don't have a factory head unit, and I don't know what 2 ohm really means or why it matters. Can you see why I just want a harness now? :bonk:

You need to put down the parts and pick up some research. Try googling for a car audio forum (there are tons out there, just pick your poison).

Prog 11-21-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite012 (Post 1344352)
You need to put down the parts and pick up some research. Try googling for a car audio forum (there are tons out there, just pick your poison).

I don't have any parts, that's why I'm posting here and asking how people are doing it first. :)

MidnightRunner 11-21-2013 07:42 PM

Ok... I've swapped out my 6.5 and my 3.5 speaker, and my best advice would be to keep the 6.5 if you are keeping the stock amp. The stock amp sits behind the driver side rear seat btw. If you are daring enough to run a separate amp, then to hell with the stockers. Do some research and you'll find the right speaker harness. If worst comes to worst, cut and solder.

As for my dashboard speaker setup, I went with the Pioneer tsa878 with a pair of Metra 728104. I cut the old speaker brace out and stuck it on my pioneers, chopped the end wires on the Pioneer to the Metras and that was it. Good luck! :D

(For some reason I can't post pics on this post, so pm me your email if u wanted pics of my dash speaker setup.)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

MidnightRunner 11-21-2013 07:45 PM

Oh and btw, I kept the stock tweet. Also do yourself a HUGE favor and remove and destroy that shitty pass filter on the 3.5

Prog 12-05-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightRunner (Post 1345707)
I went with the Pioneer tsa878 with a pair of Metra 728104. I cut the old speaker brace out and stuck it on my pioneers, chopped the end wires on the Pioneer to the Metras and that was it. Good luck! :D

Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but are you saying that that harness works with the stock OEM harness for the dash speakers/tweeters? Crutchfield shows two speaker harnesses, one of which looks like it's probably for the door speakers, but I have no idea what the other is for.

MidnightRunner 12-05-2013 11:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog (Post 1370453)
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but are you saying that that harness works with the stock OEM harness for the dash speakers/tweeters? Crutchfield shows two speaker harnesses, one of which looks like it's probably for the door speakers, but I have no idea what the other is for.

Sorry. I must've been in a hurry to type that. I cut the stock harness out of the speaker bracket, and then wired positive to positive, negative to negative. The tweet was a bit more complex, and since my 3.5 dash speaker hit highs pretty well I didn't bother with the tweet.

Here are some quick pics I had.

MidnightRunner 12-05-2013 11:34 AM

To answer your question, the Metra was for the doors not the dash. I just reused the dash harness.

Prog 12-05-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightRunner (Post 1370525)
To answer your question, the Metra was for the doors not the dash. I just reused the dash harness.

I know that the Metra 72-8104 is for the doors, but Crutchfield also lists this one as compatible with our cars and I don't know what it is: Metra 71-042C Speaker Wiring Harnesses. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html

Thanks for all of your replies!

MidnightRunner 12-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog (Post 1371105)
I know that the Metra 72-8104 is for the doors, but Crutchfield also lists this one as compatible with our cars and I don't know what it is: Metra 71-042C Speaker Wiring Harnesses. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html

Thanks for all of your replies!

Ok then those might be for the dash. Crutchfield has pretty good customer service (from my experience anyways), so give em a call to clarify. Good luck, and btw I literally just swapped my stock amp to the alpine ktp455 and I HIGHLY recommend it. Awesome little amp to fully power your doors

Prog 12-06-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightRunner (Post 1371140)
Ok then those might be for the dash. Crutchfield has pretty good customer service (from my experience anyways), so give em a call to clarify. Good luck, and btw I literally just swapped my stock amp to the alpine ktp455 and I HIGHLY recommend it. Awesome little amp to fully power your doors

Thanks! I emailed Crutchfield and the advisor said that that harness is indeed for the dash (they don't have a harness for the rear speakers).

PatrickSAN 04-11-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog (Post 1372511)
Thanks! I emailed Crutchfield and the advisor said that that harness is indeed for the dash (they don't have a harness for the rear speakers).

Did the Metra 71-042C plug in up in the dash location?