Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AFRICA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Exhausts (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96150)

86 South Africa 10-13-2015 06:54 AM

Exhausts
 
I am looking at the tons of options the EU/UK and USA have available... and looking at what might be affordable for us in SA.

I am looking for a full system - equal length headers back.
I am probably going to supercharge it in future, so I am not concerned with a 2hp gain from one brand over another. I do want a nice smooth sound though.

Anyone have facts/prices/good contacts?

Importing stuff from overseas is crazy expensive!!!
I love the HKS header-back, but at around R30-40k before shipping it's simply unaffordable.

Freedom 10-13-2015 07:23 AM

Rob Green Motorsports (RGM), they do superchargers and custom exhaust for roughly R90 000.

Do a bit of searching on the Africa thread for exhaust options, this question has been asked a few times before. Most of us have gotten the BRZ exhaust.

For quality headers you will unfortunately have to import.

FT_86_SM_GP 10-13-2015 08:18 AM

Agree with Freedom on the cat-back (BRZ De Graaf)

On a side note - I recently heard a RGM supercharged BRZ with the DeGraaf catback (Probably had de-catted stock header), sounded pretty decent.
(First time I heard a SC BRZ in person, heard allot of RGM 86's, but most of them had the stock 86 exhaust).

Any specific reason why you want a EL header ?

Where are you based? KZN?CPT?JHB?

Sporran 10-13-2015 08:23 AM

I second what Freedom has said. Rather wait until you're ready to fit your supercharger then speak to RGM and get both - they'll be matched and dyno tuned so you'll be sure they'll work well together.

You could opt for just an exhaust but you'd need a tune to optimise it and if you're already considering the FI route why not just do them together?

Dammod 10-14-2015 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86 South Africa (Post 2418414)
I am looking at the tons of options the EU/UK and USA have available... and looking at what might be affordable for us in SA.

I am looking for a full system - equal length headers back.
I am probably going to supercharge it in future, so I am not concerned with a 2hp gain from one brand over another. I do want a nice smooth sound though.

Anyone have facts/prices/good contacts?

Importing stuff from overseas is crazy expensive!!!
I love the HKS header-back, but at around R30-40k before shipping it's simply unaffordable.

Headers and a tune make a world of difference, ask @FT_86_SM_GP and check out a few of his track videos and dyno results:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=158
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=155

I only made 15kw less then a RGM Supercharged GT86 a while back at a Cape Town dyno day when I was still on a earlier revision tune making less power then I am now.
I had a BRZ Exhaust (obviously :-)) Phoenix Performance tune, on pump fuel.

steve99 10-14-2015 04:51 AM

have a read of the Basic Bolt on Mods Giude link below

if you want cheap option see if you can get someone to remove the cat in header and weld in a piece of pipe, dont just knock out the cat internals.

no sure how strict they are on cats in SA, but also you could do same to secondary cat just striaght pipe it. The rest of exhaust is not that restrictive, maybe swap out the overpipe of get one made as it necks down in places.

if you remove primary cat you will likely get cel code p0420, you can try o2 spacer in second o2 sensor but a tune is much better option especially on your crappy fuel.

if your going to the expense of a supercharger you probably want to be running about 7 to 9 psi, some of the kits running 4 to 6 are not much better than a NAcar runnig an exhaust and tune.

86 South Africa 10-14-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP (Post 2418439)
Agree with Freedom on the cat-back (BRZ De Graaf)

On a side note - I recently heard a RGM supercharged BRZ with the DeGraaf catback (Probably had de-catted stock header), sounded pretty decent.
(First time I heard a SC BRZ in person, heard allot of RGM 86's, but most of them had the stock 86 exhaust).

Any specific reason why you want a EL header ?

Where are you based? KZN?CPT?JHB?

EL for sound and smoother exhaust flow.
Based in JHB.
Been to RGM and not a fan to be honest. His exhaust didn't look like much more than some welded steel (sounds harsh I know). Not convinced it's properly tested and designed.
As for the FI. Vortech is nice but I'm going edelbrock when I'm ready. :burnrubber::thumbup:

steve99 10-15-2015 08:06 PM

if you have not seen this, results for gutted stock cat, would be better if cat was cut out and pipe welded in like example later in thread see below, dyno in that thread for just the insides knocked out of cats, not pipes welded in

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96235




http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...psvnbz0dau.jpg

Rossi 10-26-2015 03:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As it is happening at Powerflow Midrand having a muffler delete done will keep the updates coming and a Gopro Vid of the sound[Attachment 123592ATTACH]123591[/ATTACH]

86 South Africa 12-08-2015 12:50 PM

@Rossi vids and sound?

ShaunWRX 12-09-2015 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 2431766)
As it is happening at Powerflow Midrand having a muffler delete done will keep the updates coming and a Gopro Vid of the sound

How does it sound and go now? Did you go with the y-piece split into 2 or the single exit?

Rossi 12-09-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWRX (Post 2474351)
How does it sound and go now? Did you go with the y-piece split into 2 or the single exit?


I went with the Y pipe from just behind the resonator into a dual exit with the stock tailpipes

Rossi 12-09-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86 South Africa (Post 2473631)
@Rossi vids and sound?


Vids will be posted on Sunday

ShaunWRX 12-09-2015 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 2474401)
I went with the Y pipe from just behind the resonator into a dual exit with the stock tailpipes

nice! thats the same setup I went with from Powerflow. Still happy a few months down the road :burnrubber:

Ryan86 12-09-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2419352)
Headers and a tune make a world of difference, ask @FT_86_SM_GP and check out a few of his track videos and dyno results:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=158
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=155

I only made 15kw less then a RGM Supercharged GT86 a while back at a Cape Town dyno day when I was still on a earlier revision tune making less power then I am now.
I had a BRZ Exhaust (obviously :-)) Phoenix Performance tune, on pump fuel.

a DBN member, Phoenix Tuned car with Phoenix header, overpipe and BRZ exhaust on the Durban dyno which saw a good improvement on the mid torque dip, however it made 1wkw more power over the same cars stock run.
RGM SC on the same dyno makes 40wkw more than the Phoenix tuned 86.

GeeTee86 12-09-2015 11:28 PM

Brace for excuses #leakedingheader #badfuel #tunenotready

sav 12-09-2015 11:54 PM

it's easy making as much, or close to X, Y and Z when you've got control over the results. Nice seeing some independent results.

Dammod 12-10-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan86 (Post 2475562)
a DBN member, Phoenix Tuned car with Phoenix header, overpipe and BRZ exhaust on the Durban dyno which saw a good improvement on the mid torque dip, however it made 1wkw more power over the same cars stock run.
RGM SC on the same dyno makes 40wkw more than the Phoenix tuned 86.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475586)
Brace for excuses #leakedingheader #badfuel #tunenotready

Quote:

Originally Posted by sav (Post 2475625)
it's easy making as much, or close to X, Y and Z when you've got control over the results. Nice seeing some independent results.

Plenty independant results proving substantial gains, case in point: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=158
Watch his videos too and see how he gives more powerful cars (including SC GT86's) a run for their money on the straights - that's more then results from Ryan's buddies dyno will ever show.

Besides, when I made 15kw less then the RGM car was at an open dyno day with plenty members present and that was on an earlier tune then what @Ayrton has.

Nice try though :clap: :w00t:

ShaunWRX 12-10-2015 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475668)
Plenty independant results proving substantial gains, case in point: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=158
Watch his videos too and see how he give more powerful (including SC GT86's) a run for their money on the straights - that's more then results from Ryan's buddies dyno will ever show.

Besides, when I made 15kw less then the RGM car was at an open dyno day with plenty members present and that was on an earlier tune then what @Ayrton has.

Nice try tho :w00t:

here we go again...:iono:

ShaunWRX 12-10-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475668)
Plenty independant results proving substantial gains, case in point: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=158
Watch his videos too and see how he give more powerful cars (including SC GT86's) a run for their money on the straights - that's more then results from Ryan's buddies dyno will ever show.

Besides, when I made 15kw less then the RGM car was at an open dyno day with plenty members present and that was on an earlier tune then what @Ayrton has.

Nice try though :clap: :w00t:

Compare FT_86_SM_GP results to this dyno results at FR&R: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14

Cheers

Fish Eagle 12-10-2015 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475668)
Watch his videos too and see how he give more powerful cars (including SC GT86's) a run for their money on the straights

In your dreams china.
You're smoking the wrong stuff.

SM's car goes well, and he's an excellent driver, but it's still a long way off taking on an RGM S/C car on the straights.

ShaunWRX 12-10-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Eagle (Post 2475690)
In your dreams china.
You're smoking the wrong stuff.

SM's car goes well, and he's an excellent driver, but it's still a long way off taking on an RGM S/C car on the straights.

And cars with similar mods? he seems to dyno a bit more than them on the same dyno. check the links above

Dammod 12-10-2015 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Eagle (Post 2475690)
In your dreams china.
You're smoking the wrong stuff.

SM's car goes well, and he's an excellent driver, but it's still a long way off taking on an RGM S/C car on the straights.

I said "a good run for their money". Having a look at his videos, the comparative pace seems decent for "money spent" compared to a SC GT86 +-90k, R500k+ BMW's etc.

Not necessarily referring to you specifically, there are many more powerful cars in his videos including BM's, club cars, porches, other 86's etc.

Good day to you too sir :thumbsup:

Fish Eagle 12-10-2015 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475699)
the comparative pace seems decent for "money spent" compared to a SC GT86 +-90k, R500k+ BMW's etc.

Yes, that's right. His car is the quickest NA non ethanol car I've ever come across, and it's substantially quicker than a stock 86.

But your claim of "a good run for their money" is based on some track video clips which we all know can be very misleading.
I'll show you video of me giving a GT3 carrots, and a C63 AMG, a modded Lumina SS, etc, etc. Cars with probably double my bhp, but that's just how it appears... It's not real.

FT_86_SM_GP 12-10-2015 01:48 AM

I increased Torque from 152nm to 177nm with my headers in N/A, but that was only 1nm than a stock 86 (Sav's).

IMO - Getting heated about Dyno numbers and who's car is faster than the other is petty.

There is bigger problems to worry about (Like USD:ZAR now above R15 - which means car parts will be more expensive), and better things to invest your time in, Like enjoying your festive season :thumbup: )

If chatroom banter rocks the boat for this community, then each to their own, but if you really want to prove now nice your car is ...please join the Michelin Cup :thumbup:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96637

Dammod 12-10-2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP (Post 2475725)
I increased Torque from 152nm to 177nm with my headers in N/A, but that was only 1nm than a stock 86 (Sav's).

IMO - Getting heated about Dyno numbers and who's car is faster than the other is petty.

There is bigger problems to worry about (Like USD:ZAR now above R15 - which means car parts will be more expensive), and better things to invest your time in, Like enjoying your festive season :thumbup: )

If chatroom banter rocks the boat for this community, then each to their own, but if you really want to prove now nice your car is ...please join the Michelin Cup :thumbup:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96637

Well said. :thumbsup:

GeeTee86 12-10-2015 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWRX (Post 2475688)
Compare FT_86_SM_GP results to this dyno results at FR&R: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14

Cheers

just a side note:
14Hp, with no tune.
With a tune I made 154hp in the summer (this was winter).

then at the "run for it's money"
Also go find my youtube vid how RGM kicked my ass from here to timbaktoo at ODI.

ShaunWRX 12-10-2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475737)
14Hp, with no tune.
With a tune I made 154hp in the summer (this was winter).
Also go find my youtube vid how RGM kicked my ass from here to timbaktoo at ODI.

well yes it is stated in that thread you had no tune. whats the issue? FT_86-SM_GP made more than bumblebee with similar mods on the same the same dyno.

no I'm not going to look for your videos which will state the obvious. nobody disputed an SC 86 will kick NA backside.

GeeTee86 12-10-2015 02:23 AM

was not directed at you shaun, was at "the run for it's money"

Dammod 12-10-2015 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475737)
just a side note:
14Hp, with no tune.
With a tune I made 154hp in the summer (this was winter).

Try on normal 95 octane next time and not with octane booster, you forgot that slight detail. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475737)
Also go find my youtube vid how RGM kicked my ass from here to timbaktoo at ODI.

Not at all surprised.:thumbsup:

GeeTee86 12-10-2015 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475746)
Try on normal 95 octane next time and not with octane booster, you forgot that slight detail. ;)


Not at all surprised.:thumbsup:

booster prevents retard, it cant give you power without tune

sav 12-10-2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWRX (Post 2475694)
And cars with similar mods? he seems to dyno a bit more than them on the same dyno. check the links above

We've had a SAV & Steve Tuned car on that same dyno not so long ago on a bloody hot day. If I remember correctly it was within 1 or 2HP which I'm sure even you can agree is negligible.

Alang 12-10-2015 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Eagle (Post 2475690)
In your dreams china.
You're smoking the wrong stuff.

SM's car goes well, and he's an excellent driver, but it's still a long way off taking on an RGM S/C car on the straights.

On Z I overtook a lumina SS in a Citroen Picasso 😂 Conclusive proof that a Citroen is quicker than a V8 Chevy! :bonk:

Dammod 12-10-2015 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475752)
booster prevents retard, it cant give you power without tune

Sorry what??! :bonk: OB will give you way more power on the stock tune compared to 95 only on the stock tune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475737)
With a tune I made 154hp in the summer (this was winter).

And what I said replies to your 154hp tuned run which was done with octane booster:
Try on normal 95 octane next time and not with octane booster, you forgot that slight detail. ;)

sav 12-10-2015 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP (Post 2475725)
I increased Torque from 152nm to 177nm with my headers in N/A, but that was only 1nm than a stock 86 (Sav's).

IMO - Getting heated about Dyno numbers and who's car is faster than the other is petty.

Sense, you're speaking it. :respekt:

I'm running OEM headers, peak numbers are pointless anyway, with UEL headers the midrange is a lot better and IMHO that's what counts most. EL vs EL there is nothing in it so no use arguing.

sav 12-10-2015 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475746)
Try on normal 95 octane next time and not with octane booster, you forgot that slight detail. ;)


Not at all surprised.:thumbsup:

Funny enough the car I was mentioning earlier ran on 95 on the dyno, no octane booster and it made more power and torque than GeeTee86. Our latest revision rocks. Quite a bit cheaper too... :D

GeeTee86 12-10-2015 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dammod (Post 2475755)
Sorry what??! :bonk: OB will give you way more power on the stock tune compared to 95 only on the stock tune.


And what I said replies to your 154hp tuned run which was done with octane booster:
Try on normal 95 octane next time and not with octane booster, you forgot that slight detail. ;)


you obviously have no idea how an ecu works
it cant add more timing as it's base by itself
leave tuning to us that has actually done it
I'm out, I have better things to do than to try and educate

Freedom 12-10-2015 03:02 AM

I think we just want the facts and don't want to be mislead, especially when you are a new owner or new to the forum. Speaking from personal experience when I joined, the vulture was ready.

GeeTee86 12-10-2015 03:02 AM

sidenote: andreas and I dyno'd, same tune, me with booster, he without. Difference was 1.8hp about. Proves my point.

sav 12-10-2015 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee86 (Post 2475764)
sidenote: andreas and I dyno'd, same tune, me with booster, he without. Difference was 1.8hp about. Proves my point.

Both of you on the same revision, IAM=1, the ECU simply cannot add more timing, it can only take away. You'd think that would be obvious but I guess not, which is inline with what Freedom86 has said above.

Almost all the cars on stock tunes that I've logged was running IAM=0.7 and I think Ryan's seen about the same in Durban. Not sure what the CT guys are doing to their cars to get this "horrible knock" they keep talking about. Are you guys filling with 93?

Fear mongering is one way of confusing the ignorant I guess.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.