Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How loud are your crickets? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94312)

Frs x3 09-03-2015 11:11 PM

How loud are your crickets?
 
I just clocked in over 5000 and I've had the crickets almost since day one. They are absolutely insane, even while driving on the highway I can hear them. Oddly enough, they don't bother me one bit, I feel like they add to the FR-S uniqueness.

Certain gas as reported by many other folk as well do limit the sound but nothing major.

How many people actually get annoyed by this?

soulreapersteve 09-03-2015 11:18 PM

Never have been annoyed since I got them around 350 miles or so, can't remember. They come and they go, only hear them during hot weather or after an extremely long and hard spirited drive.

humfrz 09-03-2015 11:26 PM

Well now, either my 2013 FR-S doesn't have the "crickets", or I pay them no mind, or my 72 year old ears just can't hear them.

Therefore, I'm not annoyed at all ......;)


humfrz

Tcoat 09-03-2015 11:45 PM

Mine shut up back about mid June and I haven't heard a peep since. No changes in anything and it has been hot here so cooler temps isn't the answer. Maybe there was a plague and they got wiped out? Cricket apocalypse?


Oh damnit maybe my car is broke!

86geek 09-04-2015 12:15 AM

I seem to have it when gas tank goes below 1/4 tank. Doesn't bother me since I listen to my tunes very loudly. I only use Chevron Premium gas 92 octane.

Muaddib 09-04-2015 12:17 AM

I only get cricket when i use American gas. :p

humfrz 09-04-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2379856)
Mine shut up back about mid June and I haven't heard a peep since. No changes in anything and it has been hot here so cooler temps isn't the answer. Maybe there was a plague and they got wiped out? Cricket apocalypse?


Oh damnit maybe my car is broke!

..........or, your ears are broke ....... :popcorn:

:D


humfrz

Tcoat 09-04-2015 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2379903)
..........or, your ears are broke ....... :popcorn:

:D


humfrz

Oh that too but I could still hear the little rascals in places like a drive through. They always distracted me from the racket the injectors made so I sort of miss them.

soulreapersteve 09-04-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2379841)
Well now, either my 2013 FR-S doesn't have the "crickets", or I pay them no mind, or my 72 year old ears just can't hear them.

Therefore, I'm not annoyed at all ......;)


humfrz

No way you are 72...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muaddib (Post 2379893)
I only get cricket when i use American gas. :p

Shots fired. xD

Tcoat 09-04-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulreapersteve (Post 2379914)
No way you are 72...



Shots fired. xD

Sure he is and he isn't even the oldest if I remember right.
I am a baby compared to Hum.

weederr33 09-04-2015 01:15 AM

My crickets come and go. But they're usually drowned out by my exhaust.

fridayfrs 09-04-2015 01:26 AM

Mine are annoying but not horrible.

Mr.ac 09-04-2015 03:12 AM

I can barely hear mine while running, but as soon as it off they are loud.

Mim 09-04-2015 07:31 AM

Coming up to my 1 year anniversary, but only done round 5000kms. Never had them (touch wood).

SubaruLifer 09-04-2015 08:25 AM

I've had my car for a year and ~23K miles, and no crickets to be found.

Dadhawk 09-04-2015 08:36 AM

No idea if I have them or not (maybe the fact that I don't know means I don't) but in any case I have decided to fully embrace them and make them my own. My favorite parking spot at lunch time...


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1378486432

Bamsterman 09-04-2015 08:47 AM

Not gonna lie, it really annoys me! Makes me realize how "cheap" the car is lol. But I don't care enough to change my car. Just make the car louder :thumbsup:

Tectoniic 09-04-2015 09:23 AM

i still have yet to experience the crickets. I just hit 4500 miles and nothing :iono:. I was running Shell 93 until about 2500 or so when i switched to E85 and have never heard them.

It does always make me worry that maybe my hearing is already shot and I'm just missing it.

mikool 09-04-2015 09:48 AM

I have been blessed by the engine gods and at 26k km, I have not experienced crickets.

rookie 09-04-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2379841)
Well now, either my 2013 FR-S doesn't have the "crickets", or I pay them no mind, or my 72 year old ears just can't hear them.

Therefore, I'm not annoyed at all ......;)


humfrz

Granted my car only has a little over 1k miles but I haven't heard any crickets. However, I am a musician so I'm probably a little more deaf than others.

WNDSRFR 09-04-2015 10:05 AM

60,000 miles and I've never had crickets. You guys must have bad gas. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

TheVoiceOfReason 09-04-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2379995)
I can barely hear mine while running, but as soon as it off they are loud.

Your high pressure fuel pump is running with your car off?

MisterSheep 09-04-2015 10:18 AM

They get pretty loud at some points. And if "they are loud enough to the point where the car across the interection can hear them then we can fix it." -- Toyota mechanic that I met during a classic car meet.

WingZer0 09-04-2015 10:43 AM

for me, they come and go. I usually don't hear them cause my radio is always on.

SisterBlue22 09-04-2015 11:53 AM

I've never stopped to listen, as I always have fairly loud music playing, so I have no idea if I have crickets or not. I know the fuel pump on my car was replaced by the previous owner as part of the service bulletin, but I have no idea if that had an effect either way.

Abraxus 09-04-2015 12:28 PM

I have a lot of lizards in the parking lot where I work so the crickets don't get the chance to chirp. Nah, I've never heard any strange noises coming from the car. Smooth sailing so far.

MisterSheep 09-04-2015 01:10 PM

The crickets are contageous. Trust me, if you have a car with active crickets and park next to another fr-s who hasnt discovered the cricket virus.. They will become infected. There is no place to run, you have to embrace the crickets.
@nyrip can vouch.

nyrip 09-04-2015 01:14 PM

True story. My exhaust is loud enough though to where I can't hear them except outside of my car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dnieves 09-04-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamsterman (Post 2380072)
Not gonna lie, it really annoys me! Makes me realize how "cheap" the car is lol. But I don't care enough to change my car. Just make the car louder :thumbsup:



Cheap? What do you mean by that? It's not a Accent. You car was made to fit a certain price point and to appeal to a certain segment. If you wanted something not as "cheap" why didn't you go for a Z, Mustang, or Camaro?


If you mean by cutting corners with less sound deadening then either do it yourself or forget any car in the 20k range. Everything that goes into a car's manufacture (down to the screws) affects its mileage and most importantly the price and car manufacturers will look into any cost savings method to keep prices low and profits high.


When I hear cheap I thing flimsy, manufacturing blemishes, no features, unreliable, hard as diamonds interior plastics, poor fit & finish. These are things I have not encountered on my FR-S. It's no Lexus RC-F by any means but at the same time it give me the opportunity to save up for RC-F (or better) in the next couple of years.


BTW- my FR-S is cricket free for close to a year, if you think crickets (that eventually go away and are usually noticeable while idling at a drive through) is annoying listen to the constant ticket of other cars with direct injection.


-Not a fanboy (not particular loyal to any brand they all have their issues) but realistic because I do my research.

Rota 09-04-2015 01:27 PM

Mine make me self-conscious in drive-thrus.

Bamsterman 09-04-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnieves (Post 2380317)
Cheap? What do you mean by that? It's not a Accent. You car was made to fit a certain price point and to appeal to a certain segment. If you wanted something not as "cheap" why didn't you go for a Z, Mustang, or Camaro?


If you mean by cutting corners with less sound deadening then either do it yourself or forget any car in the 20k range. Everything that goes into a car's manufacture (down to the screws) affects its mileage and most importantly the price and car manufacturers will look into any cost savings method to keep prices low and profits high.


When I hear cheap I thing flimsy, manufacturing blemishes, no features, unreliable, hard as diamonds interior plastics, poor fit & finish. These are things I have not encountered on my FR-S. It's no Lexus RC-F by any means but at the same time it give me the opportunity to save up for RC-F (or better) in the next couple of years.


BTW- my FR-S is cricket free for close to a year, if you think crickets (that eventually go away and are usually noticeable while idling at a drive through) is annoying listen to the constant ticket of other cars with direct injection.


-Not a fanboy (not particular loyal to any brand they all have their issues) but realistic because I do my research.

Dude...chill out. Just because its a cheap car, doesn't mean I'm saying its a bad car. Not a cheap piece of shit, just a cheaply built car.

Canadian Greg 09-04-2015 03:24 PM

I feel for all who suffer from this annoyance.
I am very pleased to have never had a chirp in 2 1/2 years.
Petro Can 94 is all I've ever used. And will continue to do so.

DAEMANO 09-04-2015 03:30 PM

Can't hear them over the sweet sweet burble of the UEL + headerback exhaust. They must not be there. :)

MisterSheep 09-04-2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnieves (Post 2380317)
Cheap? What do you mean by that? It's not a Accent. You car was made to fit a certain price point and to appeal to a certain segment. If you wanted something not as "cheap" why didn't you go for a Z, Mustang, or Camaro?


If you mean by cutting corners with less sound deadening then either do it yourself or forget any car in the 20k range. Everything that goes into a car's manufacture (down to the screws) affects its mileage and most importantly the price and car manufacturers will look into any cost savings method to keep prices low and profits high.


When I hear cheap I thing flimsy, manufacturing blemishes, no features, unreliable, hard as diamonds interior plastics, poor fit & finish. These are things I have not encountered on my FR-S. It's no Lexus RC-F by any means but at the same time it give me the opportunity to save up for RC-F (or better) in the next couple of years.


BTW- my FR-S is cricket free for close to a year, if you think crickets (that eventually go away and are usually noticeable while idling at a drive through) is annoying listen to the constant ticket of other cars with direct injection.


-Not a fanboy (not particular loyal to any brand they all have their issues) but realistic because I do my research.

Lol!

I have many "cheap" cut arounds on this car.

Like our hoods not lining up straight if anyone has ever noticed that (seriously! look at your hood and look at the gap on both sides). Easily peelable clearcoat, not to mention the bumper that just sags over time. Dont get me started on the headunit. :thumbdown:

But I still love the car :thumbup:

SVTSHC 09-04-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rota (Post 2380324)
Mine make me self-conscious in drive-thrus.

I know that feel, when I'm idling I can hear them over my exhaust. It's alright though, I just use drive-thrus at night now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAEMANO (Post 2380498)
Can't hear them over the sweet sweet burble of the UEL + headerback exhaust. They must not be there. :)

This lol.

CatDaddysBBQ 09-04-2015 03:44 PM

I only hear them when stationary.

Tcoat 09-04-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSheep (Post 2380507)
Lol!

I have many "cheap" cut arounds on this car.

Like our hoods not lining up straight if anyone has ever noticed that (seriously! look at your hood and look at the gap on both sides). Easily peelable clearcoat, not to mention the bumper that just sags over time. Dont get me started on the headunit. :thumbdown:

But I still love the car :thumbup:

My hood lines up perfect. My clear coat is just fine. After 40k miles my bumper is firmly in place even after a winter of playing snowplow. Just because you or others complain does not mean we all have these issues.
The car is built light and with that there are some compromises. This does not mean they are cheaply made.

NedVargar 09-04-2015 04:02 PM

I got crickets and had the service done, only to have them come back again. I started using pure "non-ethanol" gas, and the crickets went away.

I went on a road trip this summer and couldn't find pure gas. The crickets came back. After I got home I went through a tank of pure gas and they've gone away agin.

fang_gt86 09-04-2015 04:20 PM

Mine went away after I installed the exhaust lol

Tcoat 09-04-2015 04:21 PM

BTW
Cricket thread #1,236 I believe.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.