![]() |
Twins vs M2
I know the M2 isn't out yet, but I am salivating. ~400hp, RWD, reasonably sized, and maybe 3550lbs with a DCT transmission?
|
Quote:
Sure the BMW M2 looks amazing but 99.9% of people are not realistically cross shopping between the two. |
Other than 2 doors and RWD these cars couldn't be further apart. If you like to interact with and fully control your car then you'd hate this BMW.
BMW stopped being the ultimate driving machine as soon as they killed the E92 M3. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk |
You could realistically get two twins for what the M2 will cost. Now if the 228 was a decent handler, you could reasonably compare it to that, but from what I have read the handling on that thing is extremely disappointing.
|
I dunno. People tend to say that the M cars actually perform and feel pretty darned good. The 2-series is less than 10" longer and even 1/10" narrower. Not exactly a huge difference. As for money, one guys finances are not everyone's. I don't shop by price range as much as I shop for what I want and am able to afford.
Oh, and the backseat is more usable than the twins. That's a plus. The 228 is a solid handler. I autocrossed one before. The steering is a bit numb, but an M-car would probably fix that. |
completely different car. An M2 would do everything better than a twin aside from gas mileage. Even though its only 10" longer its about 700 pounds more than a twin and i guarantee you would feel that in an autocross.
For the price of an M2 you could get a mint E92 M3 and change in ur pocket. |
Quote:
Quote:
|
3500 lbs
Nope. |
Last good M cars (in my opinion) was the M coupe and the 1M.
|
Just like any M car, comparing to the frs/brz, it will be faster, heavier, more refined, handles just as good probably with more body roll.
|
That doesn't sound too bad.
|
2 Series driving position is not that great, and Bimmer steering wheels now feel so thick with foam like those steering wheel covers they sell at Walmart. Seeing how they are also putting black decals on the side body to mimic bodykit sideskirts on their newest cars lol! No thanks!
|
long live the E30M
|
BMW...more like gayyyy
|
Quote:
|
I would rather buy a kit from DBW in Atlanta that cost less than 5k with install/tune/and dyno than get a 3500 lb M2. And for some reason the only BMW I like the looks of is the overweight Z4 and 4 series.
|
|
It isn't a bad comparison per say. When the FR-S first came out a Rocket Bunny kit wasn't cheap. I'd say 7-8000 maybe $10,000 with a nice 2nd set of wheels with tires. Forced induction with an appropriate suspension and brakes, your looking at another 10g's at least.
Someone on the 2addicts forum claims, from a rep, the M2 will start at $51,000. If this is true, that's thousands less than what I first thought. With this information combined with a decent residual lease, the thought of throwing money away on a supercharged daily driving FR-S has lingered. |
Quote:
|
People on this forum will compare the FRS/BRZ to pretty much everything and still ultimately decide that the FRS/BRZ is the better car.
How can any realistic comparison even be made to the M2? This shit isn't even out yet. |
Quote:
|
Sorry but anything up around the $50k range, I'm looking at the Shelby 350. The m2 is nice and all but it doesn't ooze specialness like a 5.2 liter v8 at 8200rpm. Not even close.
|
Quote:
If it's anything like the old one, the new 2M should be pretty spectacular. Good handling chassis + turbo I6 = :wub: |
The M2 will be fairly similar to the 1M I recon, which was a good car. But not comparable to the twins.
Quote:
Some things don't change. |
Quote:
- M2 is about 22% heavier. - M2 will have about 82% more horsepower. M2 FTW Brah! In all seriousness, the M2 looks like it will be a nice ride. |
|
Quote:
Cast in point is from behind the drivers seat on the street doing sporty driving, the F80 is almost every bit as nimble and lightweight on the feet as the FR-S despite being hundred pounds more. With that said, tires and brakes and other wear components will wear much faster on the M cars. I think the new M rolls less than the FRS stock for stock. I'm sure the M2 will be another great driver's car per say. |
With wide, sticky tires, computer-controlled differentials, active roll bars, and computer-controlled struts, even a pig can dance. That doesn't mean a heavy car is the same experience as a lighter one.
|
M2 is less than 100 lb lighter than an M4. So really, what's the point?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk |
Length, width, and the resulting handling. But yes, it's a bummer BMW can't make a light car.
|
Quote:
According to BMW, the M2 should weigh around 3295 lbs. Still a bit heavy but ~235 lbs. lighter than an M4, along with smaller overall dimensions. |
I've said it on another forum, but Idk, at this point the amount of "M" models is kind of out of control. Is there really a need to have an M version of every car they make? It kind of detracts from the essence of what the car is to me. :iono:
|
Quote:
|
Haha didn't mean it like that! I just begin to wonder why even produce a "normal" line if there is a performance model of almost every model they offer. Again, just pondering!
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
An X1 M would sell like hotcakes. They're fools for not making one.
|
Quote:
Quote:
If there's enough demand for the other M variants, it would be strange not to sell them right? |
I see two sets of numbers floating about. Either way, 100-200 lbs is not a big difference for the size difference, but it is a lot more than a twin.
|
I would get a focus RS, smoke the M2 everywhere I go (similar power, less weight and AWD) and have enough room for family and luggage. And if you argue the M2 is more prestige, the focus RS is just as exclusive since it is first time that North America gets it.
|
All M models, except the E30, have all been in that ballpark in weight, or more. E36, E46, E90 (more) and the current models, none of them has been "light".
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.