Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What would you guys recommend for an aggressive and sharp exhaust, but not annoyingly (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91726)

iStanley 07-16-2015 01:50 PM

What would you guys recommend for an aggressive and sharp exhaust, but not annoyingly
 
Not too costly would also be a plus! Thanks

tinma 07-16-2015 01:54 PM

Corsa is a great exhaust. Its not on the loud side, but it has a great tone. Its a little bit on the pricey side but you also pay for quality.

Many other great exhausts like Q300 or Perrin 2.5 (3.0 if planning on going turbo)

iStanley 07-16-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinma (Post 2323536)
Corsa is a great exhaust. Its not on the loud side, but it has a great tone. Its a little bit on the pricey side but you also pay for quality.

Many other great exhausts like Q300 or Perrin 2.5 (3.0 if planning on going turbo)


I don't know much of the technical side of cars but what if I don't plan on going turbo any time soon but till get 3.0 instead of 2.5?

Bergen23 07-16-2015 02:05 PM

Get the TF-Works exhaust. 500 for unmuffled or 595 for the muffled version. I have the unmuffled version and it's fantastic.

iStanley 07-16-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2323564)
Get the TF-Works exhaust. 500 for unmuffled or 595 for the muffled version. I have the unmuffled version and it's fantastic.


Is there a video of it with just the exhaust alone? I've heard some with headers and other things and it sounds amazing. Exactly what I was looking for.

Bergen23 07-16-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iStanley (Post 2323574)
Is there a video of it with just the exhaust alone? I've heard some with headers and other things and it sounds amazing. Exactly what I was looking for.

There's a couple videos of it in the TF-Works exhaust thread on here. Race version and sports version. One of the race videos is with a test pipe and the exhaust, the other video is just the exhaust, and mine in that thread is with headers and the exhaust. The sports version in that thread is just the exhaust as well.

Providing you're ok with a single exit exhaust, it could easily fit the bill

DAEMANO 07-16-2015 02:12 PM

Both catbacks low-cost, great findsabout $560 ea.

Single Exit - Tanabe Concept G Medallion - Lightweight, quieter (at 93db), great looking. Get an @ft86speedfactory exhaust hole cover for the un-used side.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/tana...haust-966.html

http://texasimports.net/wp-content/u...1-1024x680.jpg

Dual Exit - MXP Comp RS
- Got that bass. Sounds & looks incredible installed on the car. No drone.

http://www.fteightysix.com/performan.../#.Vafzw7UiHB5


http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server50...0.1280.jpg?c=2

NLS8520 07-17-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinma (Post 2323536)
Corsa is a great exhaust. Its not on the loud side, but it has a great tone. Its a little bit on the pricey side but you also pay for quality.

Many other great exhausts like Q300 or Perrin 2.5 (3.0 if planning on going turbo)

I agree with you on the Corsa. It is just a bit too heavy however. I just can not get over the idea of adding weight while paying hundred's of dollars, even though its just a few pounds it feels wrong somehow, otherwise I agree I would be all over the Corsa.

shifter907 07-17-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAEMANO (Post 2323581)
Both catbacks low-cost, great findsabout $560 ea.

Single Exit - Tanabe Concept G Medallion - Lightweight, quieter (at 93db), great looking. Get an @ft86speedfactory exhaust hole cover for the un-used side.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/tana...haust-966.html



Dual Exit - MXP Comp RS - Got that bass. Sounds & looks incredible installed on the car. No drone.

http://www.fteightysix.com/performan.../#.Vafzw7UiHB5


I've been going back and forth deciding between the Tanabe and Invidia N1, but haven't heard anything about the MXP before. I'm thinking now that it could be a good third option :thumbup:

cdq85 07-17-2015 01:51 PM

my advice would be to stay away from n1 unless you are done modding the exhaust after the catback. I've heard it's nice just alone but I can tell you first hand that it is realllllllllly loud paired up with headers. sounds great but loud.

AppleSauce 07-21-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iStanley (Post 2323554)
I don't know much of the technical side of cars but what if I don't plan on going turbo any time soon but till get 3.0 instead of 2.5?

i went with perrin 3.0 catback and nameless 2.5 overdownfrontpipe combo and its fine. wouldnt go 3.0 all the way back unless u do forced induction though.

Starkiller 08-02-2015 04:24 PM

This is mine on the dyno.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A306zUVPiBg"]FR-S Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

ort895 08-02-2015 04:37 PM

Just posted some videos of my new DC Sports exhaust on youtube check it out, i started a thread in the exhuast section and put all the videos there. Sounds real crisp but not too loud. Paired with some headers i may be in heaven.
PM me with any questions.

weederr33 08-02-2015 05:02 PM

Do something original. We all have a Q300, Perrin, Nameless, or N1. Get something out of the ordinary. Like Milltek, MXP, or Injen!

olsonpg 08-02-2015 05:17 PM

Ive also been thinking about the MXP- I've found myself in a dilemma - I just installed my ACE EL headers - front and overpipe yesterday and now my car sounds like a high pitched tin can. So now im trying to add some sort of refinement and deepen the note.

the Borla catback has been bouncing around my head. Anyone with EL's run into the the same predicament or have any suggestions?

Edit: ACTUALLY, my exhaust sounds just like Starkillers video up above.

churchx 08-02-2015 08:22 PM

olsonpg: weird .. but i like that sound. :) Somehow that high pitch associates to me with high-rev race engines, not 'bassy' low rpm ones. To each his own i guess.

Starkiller 08-02-2015 08:40 PM

My whole exhaust is titanium. I had to have the mid pipe custom made by JDL because no one made one except for Tommy Kaira.

dem00n 08-02-2015 08:55 PM

Supersprint

N1rve 08-02-2015 09:08 PM

Perrin resonated :D

fantah 08-03-2015 02:10 AM

spec-d catback :D

fantah 08-03-2015 02:16 AM

https://youtu.be/ZqXK1h40IC0

Mines, full header back. The spec-d catback was only $400

olsonpg 08-03-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 2343864)
olsonpg: weird .. but i like that sound. :) Somehow that high pitch associates to me with high-rev race engines, not 'bassy' low rpm ones. To each his own i guess.

See I totally felt the exact same way! Until i actually had everything installed.. It just sounds cheap. To me.
If i could give it a more refined high pitched scream i would love that. Its just the high pitch rattle can sound that comes through the cabin at 4500 + that makes me think of a 1998 civic with a 7 inch muffler scraping on the ground.

ort895 08-03-2015 09:54 AM

DC Sports DC Sports:thumbup:

myparentsbeatme 08-03-2015 02:22 PM

Depo racing $100 catback. 2.5 od.

PICKLEBOY 08-11-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olsonpg (Post 2344234)
See I totally felt the exact same way! Until i actually had everything installed.. It just sounds cheap. To me.
If i could give it a more refined high pitched scream i would love that. Its just the high pitch rattle can sound that comes through the cabin at 4500 + that makes me think of a 1998 civic with a 7 inch muffler scraping on the ground.

Truth

go_a_way1 08-11-2015 04:56 PM


I run TRD catback (modified) Borla UEL headers, Motive test pipe, and customoverpipe. I love the sound. Maybe you can source the parts used to save some$$$

DAEMANO 08-11-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olsonpg (Post 2343738)
Ive also been thinking about the MXP- I've found myself in a dilemma - I just installed my ACE EL headers - front and overpipe yesterday and now my car sounds like a high pitched tin can. So now im trying to add some sort of refinement and deepen the note.

the Borla catback has been bouncing around my head. Anyone with EL's run into the the same predicament or have any suggestions?

Edit: ACTUALLY, my exhaust sounds just like Starkillers video up above.

The MXP CompRS will definitely add bass. My buddy had a namless axleback and switched to the MXP. The MXP sounds lower, and more refined, but not quieter. It's deeper than my TRD USA catback (which is already pretty deep).

airwak 08-11-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2353801)
I run TRD catback (modified) Borla UEL headers, Motive test pipe, and customoverpipe. I love the sound. Maybe you can source the parts used to save some$$$

How did you modify the TRD? Replace the midpipe/resonater with 2.5?

go_a_way1 08-12-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airwak (Post 2354089)
How did you modify the TRD? Replace the midpipe/resonater with 2.5?

Yeah. I opened it up to 2.5 inch. Left the resonater, although it is only slightly larger then the pipe now haha! I love the look of the TRD tips and the muffler sounds great IMO but it was just too small, easy fix though.

CHAMPIONBRZ 08-12-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myparentsbeatme (Post 2344597)
Depo racing $100 catback. 2.5 od.

DONT get this one. I got it and would not recommend even for the price.

airwak 08-12-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2354544)
Yeah. I opened it up to 2.5 inch. Left the resonater, although it is only slightly larger then the pipe now haha! I love the look of the TRD tips and the muffler sounds great IMO but it was just too small, easy fix though.

Any change on the sound or anything or were you just hoping for performance increase? I have the TRD and considered doing this, or replacing the stock resonator with an aftermarket one.

ZOMFGAARON 08-12-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAMPIONBRZ (Post 2354703)
DONT get this one. I got it and would not recommend even for the price.


For $50? The parts alone are probably worth more. I just purchased one we will see how it goes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raven1231 08-12-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON (Post 2354732)
For $50? The parts alone are probably worth more. I just purchased one we will see how it goes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but it gets white stuff on the bumper :( sniff sniff

go_a_way1 08-12-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airwak (Post 2354714)
Any change on the sound or anything or were you just hoping for performance increase? I have the TRD and considered doing this, or replacing the stock resonator with an aftermarket one.

Its hard to tell I installed the headers and had the over pipe built all at the same time. It is a tad raspy for me midrange under load but everywhere else sounds amazing!! No drone either.

Fritz zozobrado 08-12-2015 01:12 PM

Perrin 2.5 reso , mxp como rs or hks spec l... Which is which for performance?

Koa 08-12-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLS8520 (Post 2324673)
I agree with you on the Corsa. It is just a bit too heavy however. I just can not get over the idea of adding weight while paying hundred's of dollars, even though its just a few pounds it feels wrong somehow, otherwise I agree I would be all over the Corsa.

don't worry about that mate. life is too short to be stressed out about such things

go with what gives you the most value

Evil Rocky 08-13-2015 09:08 AM

I went with Lerrin resonated 3in with a Tomei EL header. It has a low deepsound and when put the pedal down it does get a little louder, but not horrible.

BRZtoni 08-13-2015 11:43 AM

Perrin 3" catback is nice!... no drone and sounds good when getting at it.

Donbrz 08-13-2015 10:09 PM

HKS spec L hi flow catback combined with HKS dual resonated front pipe. Robust and aggressive, but not overly loud unless want it to be. Installed with stock header, several compliments plus lite weight compared to stock.

mikool 08-13-2015 10:15 PM

I just wrote up a fairly loose review on the new GReddy EVO GT cat-back here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93318

Has a very aggressive tone that is not loud enough to be annoying.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.