Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Picked up another car.. another Toyota MR2... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90089)

Dave-ROR 06-15-2015 03:15 PM

Picked up another car.. another Toyota MR2...
 
Since I'm always looking for good deals on MR2 parts I generally check the MR2 forums every few days or so (as good deals move fast). I happened to see a thread title as the most recent thread that mentioned a 93 White MR2 Turbo for sale.. clicked.. and it had no pics but seemed cheap (mostly due to the blue interior...).


Talked to the seller and basically bought the car. While talking to him about logistics it seemed like I might have a buyer for the BRZ so I delayed picking the car up for a week so I'd have an open garage spot for it if the BRZ sale worked out (which it did). Sooo ended up picking this up over the weekend.

@LSxJunkie .. mentioned just to rub it in some ;)


Pics of the 93:
At the PO's house, freshly loaded on the trailer:
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1500.jpg



At Wolf Bay Lodge getting some excellent lunch in Foley, AL:
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1504.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1505.jpg



At Barber Marina where they have some dinosaurs, knight statues and other odd things in the woods about 10 miles from Foley, AL:
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1544.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1546.jpg



Stopped by the Tallahassee Antique Car Museum since there were a ton of cars in the parking lot. Turned out that they were closed but were doing 2 catered parties (at least one of which was a wedding). Sadly we weren't dressed to crash it :(
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1585.jpg



And a group of it offloaded from the trailer sitting in the driveway:
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1591.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1592.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1593.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1594.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1595.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1596.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1597.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1598.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1599.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1600.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1601.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1602.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1603.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1605.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1606.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1607.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1608.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1609.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1610.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1611.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1612.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1613.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1615.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1624.jpg



Sitting in it's new home next to the 94:
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1630.jpg
http://www.itrexpo.com/users/dave/MR...T/IMG_1631.jpg

swarb 06-15-2015 03:19 PM

wow so clean.

dem00n 06-15-2015 03:23 PM

A blue interior lowers the cost??

Tcoat 06-15-2015 03:31 PM

Nice score! Looks pretty much stock and not abused.

MokSpeed 06-15-2015 04:01 PM

I am jelly. Congrats!

ScoobsMcGee 06-15-2015 04:07 PM

Great find, congratulations! I would love to have an SW20 eventually, but some jerk from Florida keeps buying all the good ones.

Dave-ROR 06-15-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem00n (Post 2287603)
A blue interior lowers the cost??

It's ugly.

SUB-FT86 06-15-2015 07:07 PM

One of my favorite 90's car. I used to call them "Mr" 2 when I was like 10. Nice pick up, Dave.

Dave-ROR 06-15-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee (Post 2287699)
Great find, congratulations! I would love to have an SW20 eventually, but some jerk from Florida keeps buying all the good ones.

Hey I'm keeping them from rusting away down here for you northerners to buy them in the future! :)

Dave-ROR 06-15-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 (Post 2287964)
One of my favorite 90's car. I used to call them "Mr" 2 when I was like 10. Nice pick up, Dave.

Same here. I've always liked these cars. They aren't the best things out there but they are so... dynamically challenged compared to better balanced MR cars (NSX for example) that they can be a ton of fun :thumbup:

gramicci101 06-15-2015 07:11 PM

Congrats on selling your BRZ. Nice job on the MR2, that looks like it's been well taken care of.

Tcoat 06-15-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2287965)
Hey I'm keeping them from rusting away down here for you northerners to buy them in the future! :)

I have seen a total of 1 in the wild up here and that was a couple of weeks ago. I was staring at him, he was staring at me so we both missed the light turn green and had the people behind us honking.

Alain 06-15-2015 08:00 PM

Damn super jealous. That is a clean SW and in white also. Also your 94 is a beauty. Wish i had that over my FRS.

themadscientist 06-15-2015 08:00 PM

I was hoping for an AW11 Supercharger, but an SW20 Turbo is great too. Really stellar cars, but a straight PITA to work on the engine in.

What's the plan for the car other than ripping out that hideous blue interior? :barf:

tobin 06-15-2015 08:01 PM

Nice survivor!

dem00n 06-15-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2287947)
It's ugly.

Really? I think it's quite nice. 90's interior were the worst and this is one of the more interesting ones.

Congrats on the car either way.

computeruser 06-15-2015 09:10 PM

Nice score.

The blue interior is really a period look; so long as the car stays relatively stock looking, the blue interior totally makes sense!

tyrantcf 06-15-2015 09:13 PM

sw20 and stupidly clean.

















I hate you.

Dave-ROR 06-15-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2287998)
I have seen a total of 1 in the wild up here and that was a couple of weeks ago. I was staring at him, he was staring at me so we both missed the light turn green and had the people behind us honking.

There's definitely a good number up there hiding somewhere. Eventually the ones that run throughout te winter there won't be around any more :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by themadscientist (Post 2288039)
I was hoping for an AW11 Supercharger, but an SW20 Turbo is great too. Really stellar cars, but a straight PITA to work on the engine in.

What's the plan for the car other than ripping out that hideous blue interior? :barf:

I helped a buddy with his 89 SC. Eventually sold it or him with 25,000 original miles. Thing was the best SC ive ever seen. And yes, I do want to find a good one ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobin (Post 2288042)
Nice survivor!

Thanks! That's the thing with this one, its so original and pretty low mileage that I may make it more stock and just preserve it. Even if that means it keeps the blue cloth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem00n (Post 2288066)
Really? I think it's quite nice. 90's interior were the worst and this is one of the more interesting ones.

Congrats on the car either way.

I don't hate the blue, I just prefer white over black. Black leather was an option for this year/color but it would remove originality and I'm not sure that I want to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 2288117)
Nice score.

The blue interior is really a period look; so long as the car stays relatively stock looking, the blue interior totally makes sense!

Agreed. See above ;)

strat61caster 06-15-2015 10:30 PM

Nice find, I seriously want an AW11, even NA I think it would be rewarding for me.

Thoughts on SW20 vs AW11?

DarkSunrise 06-15-2015 11:17 PM

Haha someone's got a thing for MR2 turbos. Nice find!

themadscientist 06-15-2015 11:36 PM

I drove a solid SC AW11 with the HKS overdrive pulley once. WOW! It was squirrely with that 50/50 pivot point and felt like holding on to a pissed off cat, but when you kept it straight, damn, that thing was quick!

Porn; not a supercharger, but still FAPable.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz5W1j2pKd4"]MR2 AW11 ��走行 - YouTube[/ame]

themadscientist 06-15-2015 11:43 PM

BOOST!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnoi7bWlGEg"]Toyota MR2 AW11 4AGTE - Bryant Park Hillclimb (Haunted Hills) - YouTube[/ame]

ayau 06-16-2015 10:49 AM

@Dave-ROR. wanna buy my ITR? lol

Dave-ROR 06-16-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2288217)
Nice find, I seriously want an AW11, even NA I think it would be rewarding for me.

Thoughts on SW20 vs AW11?



I really like AW11s. The NA is a MUCH better drivers car (lightweight, feels so much more agile) than the SC but the SC is a great little cruiser and still quick on its feet by today's standards.


I was actually looking around every month or so for an 2nd gen NA for a DD before I came across this turbo (I don't think I'll post the price I paid.. it was cheap).


Eventually I wouldn't mind having an AW11 NA to build into a great little autocross car ;)

Dave-ROR 06-16-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 2288712)
@Dave-ROR. wanna buy my ITR? lol

Nope.. it's yeller.


You selling already?

ayau 06-16-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2288750)
Nope.. it's yeller.


You selling already?

Don't like yellow?

Nah, was just bsing, lol. It does sit in the garage 99% of the time though.

Dave-ROR 06-16-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 2288794)
Don't like yellow?

Nah, was just bsing, lol. It does sit in the garage 99% of the time though.

I'd buy yeller if it was cheap and going to be a track car, but it's my least favorite of the colors :)

Tcoat 06-16-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2288796)
I'd buy yeller if it was cheap and going to be a track car, but it's my least favorite of the colors :)

http://www.goautopaint.com/Content/f...ngTraining.jpg

daiheadjai 06-17-2015 08:35 PM

Very nice - how much? </borat>

ayau 06-20-2015 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2288796)
I'd buy yeller if it was cheap and going to be a track car, but it's my least favorite of the colors :)



How does the MR2 compare with the ITR (daily, track, etc)?

Sammakko 06-20-2015 09:51 AM

i'm on my 3rd MR2. still have yet to own a second gen. awesome find!

cdrazic93 06-21-2015 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2287947)
It's ugly.

All the more reason to gut it and cage it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2288217)
Thoughts on SW20 vs AW11?

I prefer the styling of the SW20 more than the AW, but ive always wanted to take an NA AW11 and keep the engine stock and swap another engine into the front and ghetto fab a custom AWD system. The dreams of a garage warrior :')

OldSkoolToys 06-23-2015 11:31 PM

Nice find! It's getting hard to find W20 turbo's that haven't been molested to the point of no return. Blue is 'ugly' then eh,...maybe I'll start a thread on my most recent acquisition....

As for the AW11's, if you want to drive a pure-to-the bones go-kart for the streets, that's what you pick. They're more than fun in N/A form. Ironically enough, the AW11 is a case where Toyota DID cave to criticism of being 'underpowered' and eventually gave it FI via a supercharger.

Dave-ROR 07-10-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daiheadjai (Post 2290972)
Very nice - how much? </borat>


Less than $6k...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 2293731)
How does the MR2 compare with the ITR (daily, track, etc)?


Haven't tracked either. Neither is a daily either. I did drive one of them from Oregon to Florida though and it was pretty comfy. Seats have more adjustments than the ITR, they are quieter (even the white one with no mufflers is quieter than Craig's ITR we just drove from Houston to Laguna Seca and back), headroom sucks. Storage is decent. They aren't a good car to drive really tired as the chassis isn't nearly as forgiving. Steering and shifter are better. Oh, and torks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammakko (Post 2293857)
i'm on my 3rd MR2. still have yet to own a second gen. awesome find!


Nice! I found a NICE 88 SC I want to check out. Looks great in the few pics I've seen but I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do with all these friggen MR2s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 2294568)
All the more reason to gut it and cage it.


No way, this one is way too original, clean and low mileage. I'm not one to normally care about that but clean low mileage (for the age) SW20's are getting hard to find, especially in basically stock condition.


Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys (Post 2297618)
Nice find! It's getting hard to find W20 turbo's that haven't been molested to the point of no return. Blue is 'ugly' then eh,...maybe I'll start a thread on my most recent acquisition....

As for the AW11's, if you want to drive a pure-to-the bones go-kart for the streets, that's what you pick. They're more than fun in N/A form. Ironically enough, the AW11 is a case where Toyota DID cave to criticism of being 'underpowered' and eventually gave it FI via a supercharger.



Thanks! And post it!

cdrazic93 07-10-2015 05:51 PM

You going JDM y0 on us Dave?

Dave-ROR 07-10-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 2317026)
You going JDM y0 on us Dave?



Haha you know that ain't happening.


Survivor cars are just as cool to me as nice track cars. My older cars will generally be one or the other - beat to fuck or original. The 94 MR2 is a bit of a mix, I really want to start tracking it.. but... I did just buy... CE28Ns for it...


shit.. maybe I am. :(

OldSkoolToys 07-11-2015 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 2316991)

Thanks! And post it!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90561


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.