Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What grinds your gears? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87909)

fika84 05-06-2015 08:55 AM

What grinds your gears?
 
I'm usually a pretty calm and collected driver. I give people space to change lanes, I NEVER go under the speed limit, but I don't go too much over it because I have enough tickets on my record as it is from when I was younger. HOWEVER, I get really pissed off when people tailgate me, like it's hard for me not to just slam on my brakes. I'll usually just start slowing down and force the guy (or gal) to pass me.

So my question to you guys, is what grinds your gears while driving?

Shedd22 05-06-2015 09:12 AM

Grinding gears

bababooey 05-06-2015 09:20 AM

the signs assholes ignore 'slower traffic right lane'. to this affect im not one of them that will clog up the left lane. if someone behind me that wants to go faster, i GTF-over.

people seem to think if they are going 2 over the limit then they are entitled to cruise past those in the right on their merry way. give a little gas, get over and let those who are MORE willing to chance a ticket get along their way. note that is not always myself.

Kimsey47 05-06-2015 09:23 AM

Failure to use my clutch properly.

Jfheisenberg 05-06-2015 09:24 AM

When people tailgate me
When people stop way too close to me (especially when im on a hill and my brz is manual)
When people drive too slow
When i grind my car's gears (has happened to me a few times and i hate that feeling)

krayzie 05-06-2015 09:36 AM

I've had enough ricer Genesis Coupes tailgate me around the neighborhood, and I always manage to lose them by diving into the corner swiftly. They couldn't keep up for the life of them, and on the next encounter they would remember what happened last time and stop tailgating me.

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 05-06-2015 09:37 AM

Not double clutching into first when rolling really grinds my gear.

fika84 05-06-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg (Post 2238966)
When people tailgate me
When people stop way too close to me (especially when im on a hill and my brz is manual)
When people drive too slow
When i grind my car's gears (has happened to me a few times and i hate that feeling)

I second all of these. Grinding for me is pretty rare, but when it does happen I feel like I'm 16 again learning to drive.. like WTF IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?

I also try NOT to be in a hurry, but it still really pisses me off when people drive to slow, or under the speed limit period.

fika84 05-06-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 2238974)
I've had enough ricer Genesis Coupes tailgate me around the neighborhood, and I always manage to lose them by diving into the corner swiftly. They couldn't keep up for the life of them, and on the next encounter they would remember what happened last time and stop tailgating me.

Silly Genesis Coupes... corners are for sports cars. :burnrubber:

Imrac 05-06-2015 09:56 AM

When people don't know how to use a 4 way stop.
When people don't know how to use a roundabout.
When people tailgate me when there is CLEARLY vehicles in front of me (I am looking at your red lifted truck from this morning! I know you can see bus in front of me!)
When people tailgate in traffic.
When people constantly cut me off in traffic because I leave room so I don't have to shift every 3.2 seconds.
When people brake while changing lanes when unnecessary. I swear some peoples necks are connected to their brake peddle.
When people come up along side of you and put their blinker on expecting you to change speed/direction for them. (If you are causing another driver to change speed or direction, you are doing it wrong!)

I am just rage filled after several years commuting on i405.

Stang70Fastback 05-06-2015 10:16 AM

These are my top annoyances:

- People who cluelessly drive with their high beams on during the day.
- People who do not use their turn signals.
- People who use entrance/merge lanes to pass everyone, and then cut over at the last minute, even across hash marks.
- People who ride in the left lane.
- People who have no idea how to navigate a traffic circle. It's not that fucking hard.
- People who run red lights or blow through rights on red without stopping.
- People who approach intersections at 100 MPH and scare the shit out of the vehicles on the main road because they look like they aren't going to stop.
- All Asian drivers (#itisntracistifitstrue) :P

There are many more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

fika84 05-06-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac (Post 2238985)
When people don't know how to use a 4 way stop.
When people don't know how to use a roundabout.
When people tailgate me when there is CLEARLY vehicles in front of me (I am looking at your red lifted truck from this morning! I know you can see bus in front of me!)
When people tailgate in traffic.
When people constantly cut me off in traffic because I leave room so I don't have to shift every 3.2 seconds.
When people brake while changing lanes when unnecessary. I swear some peoples necks are connected to their brake peddle.
When people come up along side of you and put their blinker on expecting you to change speed/direction for them. (If you are causing another driver to change speed or direction, you are doing it wrong!)

I am just rage filled after several years commuting on i405.

OH MY GOD! You totally reminded me about the people that brake for no reason!! Those are the people that cause traffic jams in the first place. One person unnecessarily brakes which causes a somewhat chaotic affect of people behind them braking and so on and so on.

I agree with everything you have said.. except for the red lifted truck as I was not there so cannot comment. :) But trust you whole heartedly.

fika84 05-06-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 2239001)
These are my top annoyances:

- People who cluelessly drive with their high beams on during the day.
- People who do not use their turn signals.
- People who use entrance/merge lanes to pass everyone, and then cut over at the last minute, even across hash marks.
- People who ride in the left lane.
- People who have no idea how to navigate a traffic circle. It's not that fucking hard.
- People who run red lights or blow through rights on red without stopping.
- People who approach intersections at 100 MPH and scare the shit out of the vehicles on the main road because they look like they aren't going to stop.
- All Asian drivers (#itisntracistifitstrue) :P

There are many more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Agreed in FULL.

High beams piss me off too! My wife is always telling me, "you think everyone has there high beams on!".. I reply with, "no, but when you see really bright lights and you realize they have more than 2 lights on per side... those are f*&^ing high beams!!!"

Especially the people that have a low beam light out, so they turn on their high beams so they can see... those people need a lesson from a baseball bat about how vehicle lights work..

ARTBRZ 05-06-2015 10:33 AM

People texting while driving then they swerve or merge on to my lane almost hitting me.

ARTBRZ 05-06-2015 10:34 AM

People texting while driving then they swerve or merge on to my lane almost hitting me. Those as**ol**!

extrashaky 05-06-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fika84 (Post 2238945)
HOWEVER, I get really pissed off when people tailgate me, like it's hard for me not to just slam on my brakes.

One solution that I've found helps considerably is to use a TapTurn with a strobe pack. I have my hazards set to strobe. When someone tailgates me, I hit the hazards and my turn signal to cause the hazards to alternate sides (wig-wag) while flashing rapidly. That confuses the tailgater, and the majority of them will back off.

I bought a set of Supertones to replace my stock horns. They're waiting for me to get time to install them. I was thinking of relocating the stock horns under the rear bumper so I can honk at tailgaters to confuse them even more.

shiumai 05-06-2015 10:52 AM

People looking down at their phone while driving, or not seeing the light turn green and holding up traffic.

gramicci101 05-06-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bababooey (Post 2238961)
the signs assholes ignore 'slower traffic right lane'. to this affect im not one of them that will clog up the left lane. if someone behind me that wants to go faster, i GTF-over.

people seem to think if they are going 2 over the limit then they are entitled to cruise past those in the right on their merry way. give a little gas, get over and let those who are MORE willing to chance a ticket get along their way. note that is not always myself.

This pissed me off just reading it. I mean, it's common courtesy. Pay attention to what's going on around you, and if someone wants to go faster than you, let them go faster. I don't understand how people can be so fucking militantly oblivious to the world around them.

It's bad around here. People will zoom from the on ramp straight over to the left lane while cutting multiple people off, and then park it there right at the speed limit and not even notice the 20+ cars backing up behind them. And then when someone does squeak by and cuts them off in return, they get mad. I've been run onto the shoulder by some bitch in a truck just because she didn't even look before cutting across three lanes and almost running into my passenger door. When I honked and swerved out of the way, she flipped me off.

I completely understand why people get forced off the road and shot in fits of road rage.

tahdizzle 05-06-2015 10:58 AM

http://www.memegenerator.guru/wp-con...1398290986.jpg

Aozora.BRZ 05-06-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 2239001)
- People who do not use their turn signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac (Post 2238985)
When people don't know how to use a 4 way stop.
When people don't know how to use a roundabout.
When people constantly cut me off in traffic because I leave room so I don't have to shift every 3.2 seconds.
When people come up along side of you and put their blinker on expecting you to change speed/direction for them.

All of these! Specially that last one, when people expect you to notice their turn signals and do something when they are right beside you, then get mad because you didn't help them merge in.

PERRIN_Chris 05-06-2015 11:40 AM

I hate having other cars on the road. If the roads were free of other cars, people, debris, stop signs, traffic lights, etc, I'll be happy.

gramicci101 05-06-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tahdizzle (Post 2239050)
on ramps

Yeah. They don't, though.

Beil 05-06-2015 11:44 AM

When I'm in stop-and-go traffic on the highway and people assume that when I leave a generous car-length space, that means they can cut me off. I don't like riding the clutch so I stay in a lower gear (or roll in neutral) and try to keep a consistent pace. Traffic is so much less stressful when you keep a consistent but slower pace, as opposed to "gas HARD BRAKE gas HARD BRAKE gas HARD BRAKE."

ARTBRZ 05-06-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

- All Asian drivers (#itisntracistifitstrue)
You mean all the Asian drivers u encountered. Jackass:mad0260:

Teseo 05-06-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARTBRZ (Post 2239135)
You mean all the Asian drivers u encountered. Jackass:mad0260:

How come? I thought redneck are the worst!
Asian people are polite as far i know

ARTBRZ 05-06-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2239143)
Asian people are polite as far i know

Righhht. Fist u gotta lie say your Asian, then u can say that remark. It ain't racist if your asian. Lol

cdrazic93 05-06-2015 12:13 PM

The asain thing is pretty true. Just got my car fixed from a dumbass asain lady who didnt yeild at a roundabout. Then a week later ALMOST get sideswiped by an asian kid driving daddys 745Li. I was beyond heated....

What grinds my gears? People who drive slow
People who take 30 seconds to realize its a green light, im sure ill see some of them today.
People who edge out into thr intersection when its clearly still red (seriously, you just going to hop into turning traffic?) it was a soccer mom in a nissan murano...
People who dont signal changing lanes, if you cant do a basic turn signal im worried about your compitance.
Basically every other driver on the road.

TylerLieberman 05-06-2015 12:21 PM

-People driving, lifted diesel trucks that tail gate you while sporting a NorCal sticker, even though they're living anywhere else but California.

-People who run those awful $40 HIDs and don't even bother to notice the fact that they're practically high beams and blinding damn near everybody on the road.

-People that decide that they're going to focus their attention on a phone call or a text message rather than paying attention to what they're doing.

-People that say "I'm a great driver" but I've seen them drive and they're f*cking garbage. Swerving through traffic at high speeds makes you a WRECKLESS driver, not a good one.

-People who feel the need to rev their cars continuously to 4k while backing into a parking spot.

-People who hesitate and are incapable of making a decision while driving.

I could go on all day, and that's just while on the roads. Don't even get me started about grocery stores, or better yet, Wal Mart....


In short:

What grinds my gears? People...

rice_classic 05-06-2015 12:37 PM

Just about all the things Tyler said above but I want to add..

Toyota Matrix. (Girlfriend's car).

There's no comfortable seating position for the passenger and sitting it in makes me so agitated that I'm hyper focused on her driving which makes me perceive perfectly good driving habits as awful. Also driving that car is so terrible that after 10 minutes I'm literally thinking: "I'll pay whatever it costs to light this on fire and watch it burn to the ground." And the rear hatch has this stupid net/latch system that's always a pain in the ass and never works as expected.

Disdain for that car... disdain.

yomny 05-06-2015 12:53 PM

I thought I would see more of these but it really grinds my gears when you have a douche or duchette behind you or coming in opposite direction with their high beams on and these aren't older cars where the high beam is actually a bad low beam on any other car, these are new cars.


-Slow drivers on the left lanes specially where marked " slower traffic keep right"
-Speeding speeding up when you put a blinker to switch lanes.
-Tailgaters..
-Texting, make up..

echo419 05-06-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fika84 (Post 2238945)
I'm usually a pretty calm and collected driver. I give people space to change lanes, I NEVER go under the speed limit, but I don't go too much over it because I have enough tickets on my record as it is from when I was younger. HOWEVER, I get really pissed off when people tailgate me, like it's hard for me not to just slam on my brakes. I'll usually just start slowing down and force the guy (or gal) to pass me.

So my question to you guys, is what grinds your gears while driving?

People.

echo419 05-06-2015 02:12 PM

there's this strip of hwy I have to drive to work everyday for the next week or so where people just drive slow. I'm talking 10mph UNDER the limit and to make matters worse they'll ride right next to someone blocking anyone from passing them. it makes me rage so much. they know they're doing it to because if one turns off the other will find the accelerator to keep you from passing them so they can get next to the next car and block you some more. it's really the reason I don't carry my gun in the car anymore.

fika84 05-06-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 2239028)
One solution that I've found helps considerably is to use a TapTurn with a strobe pack. I have my hazards set to strobe. When someone tailgates me, I hit the hazards and my turn signal to cause the hazards to alternate sides (wig-wag) while flashing rapidly. That confuses the tailgater, and the majority of them will back off.

I bought a set of Supertones to replace my stock horns. They're waiting for me to get time to install them. I was thinking of relocating the stock horns under the rear bumper so I can honk at tailgaters to confuse them even more.

Good suggestions! It's like throwing meat for a wolf.

fika84 05-06-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerLieberman (Post 2239184)
-People driving, lifted diesel trucks that tail gate you while sporting a NorCal sticker, even though they're living anywhere else but California.

-People who run those awful $40 HIDs and don't even bother to notice the fact that they're practically high beams and blinding damn near everybody on the road.

-People that decide that they're going to focus their attention on a phone call or a text message rather than paying attention to what they're doing.

-People that say "I'm a great driver" but I've seen them drive and they're f*cking garbage. Swerving through traffic at high speeds makes you a WRECKLESS driver, not a good one.

-People who feel the need to rev their cars continuously to 4k while backing into a parking spot.

-People who hesitate and are incapable of making a decision while driving.

I could go on all day, and that's just while on the roads. Don't even get me started about grocery stores, or better yet, Wal Mart....


In short:

What grinds my gears? People...

Oh man.. Wally world is the place to people watch and be a judgmental asshole.. part of me feels guilty, but part of me says that they bring it on themselves. :(

A lot of people don't realize that when they're driving, they have ONE task.... DRIVE! Put your phones down.. they will be there when you get to your destination, but if you don't put your phone down.. you might not be there.

I forgot to mention on ramps and merge lanes.. SURE let's get on the highway going 45 because I can't comprehend how to accelerate my car! :mad0260:

cdrazic93 05-06-2015 03:38 PM

This is like an "I hate people thread" disguised as what ticks you off while your driving lol

Teseo 05-06-2015 05:27 PM

People driving FRS/BRZ
And shitty road

fika84 05-06-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2239524)
People driving FRS/BRZ
And shitty road

You don't like driving around your own kind? Or "we" because we're "people" suck?

MonoRaven 05-06-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo419 (Post 2239225)
People.

They should be illegal.

Tcoat 05-06-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrazic93 (Post 2239405)
This is like an "I hate people thread" disguised as what ticks you off while your driving lol


Like this?
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8F-6augTtKA/maxresdefault.jpg

cjd 05-06-2015 11:33 PM

People that use the wrong words for things...

Though the irony often makes me chuckle... Wreckless drivers are good. Reckless drivers, not so much. But its a mute point because I'm not saying anything, which also makes it moot... And if you don't break for idiots, maybe its because your brakes work...

Drivers? The impatient. Let that jerk in, it doesn't matter but you can feel smug about it. Stay out of the passing lane. Unless you're actually passing. Gas doesn't count. You'll get where you're going.

C


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.