Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TRD Sound Changer - Thoughts? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84664)

tekFRS234 03-14-2015 09:49 PM

TRD Sound Changer - Thoughts?
 
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/trd-...anger-824.html

LucidMomentum 03-14-2015 09:58 PM

If I remember correctly, each "tube" is just the same tube with slightly different material in it. You can do it yourself by pulling the soft stuff out of the stock tube with some tweezers.

Tcoat 03-14-2015 10:03 PM

$60 to change the noise of the horrible kazoo? Man I am in the wrong business. delete it and put the money into something that makes sense.

Ultramaroon 03-14-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2169394)
$60 to change the noise of the horrible kazoo? Man I am in the wrong business. delete it and put the money into something that makes sense.

My "thoughts" exactly.

Burrcold 03-14-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2169394)
$60 to change the noise of the horrible kazoo? Man I am in the wrong business. delete it and put the money into something that makes sense.

Agreed.

chiefshayan 03-14-2015 11:23 PM

I put the red tube in last year, let's just say I forgot I even installed it until this post reminded me

tekFRS234 03-14-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2169394)
$60 to change the noise of the horrible kazoo? Man I am in the wrong business. delete it and put the money into something that makes sense.

Agree. I never heard of a sound changer. Just curious thoughts/experiences. Looking for something cheap/easy to do. If this translated into great sound in the cabin, I'd consider it. I did see the YT video where a guy removed foam material from the original part, but he didn't do a before/after sound comparison.

I think my first upgrade will be either Toyota/GT86 emblems or TRD shifter.

1GiantTurtle 03-14-2015 11:36 PM

http://www.akamoto.co.uk/product-ima...mp-valve-2.jpg

with the money saved you can get a TRD door stabilizer

chaoskaze 03-15-2015 02:38 AM

TRD Sound Changer - Thoughts?
 
It's only good if u keep the stock exhaust. It was kind cool till I started trying different exhaust. Now I just plug it up lol.

Vincenttam 03-15-2015 02:40 AM

Trying to figure out how to delete it without getting a cai. Same with @chiefshayan I completely forgot i had a sound tube, you kind of do when you get a louder exhaust.

Tcoat 03-15-2015 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincenttam (Post 2169619)
Trying to figure out how to delete it without getting a cai. Same with @chiefshayan I completely forgot i had a sound tube, you kind of do when you get a louder exhaust.

Loads of ways on some threads on here someplace. I just pushed the plug from the glove box receptacle into it and called it project done. You will be amazed at how much better even a louder exhaust will sound without that buzz!

alan.chalkley 03-15-2015 06:10 AM

My theory is that , whatever material is inside the sound tube will eventually perish/disintegrate and the sound will become louder.

Defuser 03-15-2015 09:33 AM

Am I the only one who subconciously reads "TRD" as "turd"?

I had a TRD Tacoma PreRunner. I always hated those three letters. T-R-D. Turd. There I said it.

In any case, I can only assume the TRD sound changer makes a name appropriate noise.

Createddeleted 03-15-2015 10:21 AM

You can take tweezers and remove the stuff inside for more sound or use a sponge to kill sound down. = done

KungFuWaffle 03-15-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Createddeleted (Post 2169767)
You can take tweezers and remove the stuff inside for more sound or use a sponge to kill sound down. = done

This is what I did for the "sound changer" then got tired of the sound in cabin and just plugged it up with the 12v cover in the glove box

bcj 03-15-2015 12:27 PM

Pointless do-dads the car would have been better without.
Corporate marketers decided that since BMW does sound "enhancement", Toyota needed it too.

Zyo81 03-16-2015 12:26 PM

I have the sound changer. I missed the sound of an inline 4 like my Hondas and thought it would help. Above 4k rpm the red made it louder, but the sound is just strange. I recently put the blue in (the one that blocks the sound completely) and am happiest with that, at least it sounds natural. Save your money. If dealerships weren't so eager to void warranties I'd just take the tubing out and block it off at the airbox.

Koa 03-16-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan.chalkley (Post 2169707)
My theory is that , whatever material is inside the sound tube will eventually perish/disintegrate and the sound will become louder.

lol e-theories

Frishkorn 03-16-2015 12:47 PM

Buy an intake, delete that thing.

CatDaddysBBQ 03-16-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum (Post 2169389)
If I remember correctly, each "tube" is just the same tube with slightly different material in it. You can do it yourself by pulling the soft stuff out of the stock tube with some tweezers.

This. I did the "foam-ectomy" on mine after I had the car for a week.

NWFRS 03-16-2015 01:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/F0VlIiY.jpg

tennisfreak 03-16-2015 01:24 PM

There is a sucker born every minute and obviously Toyota knows this, LOL.

SuperDave 03-17-2015 07:39 AM

ok haters, let the man floss his ride however he likes. there are plenty of reviews for the sound changers, but the only ones i've seen are not in english :)

canadaRS1.0 03-17-2015 12:16 PM

i put the red one on mine.. i like it.

not a huge difference, but it is noticeably louder.. and with stock exhaust this car needs to be louder.

that being said, its a total waste of money. modifying the stock one is cheaper and gets you the same thing. but im a huge ricer.. so red TRD parts > grey OEM ones. even if i dont ever see it haha

MokSpeed 03-17-2015 12:28 PM

Use the money towards a drop in filter and inlet tube.

SloS14 03-17-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2169422)
My "thoughts" exactly.

Strange "use" of quotation marks

http://oi60.tinypic.com/wuider.jpg

Ultramaroon 03-17-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloS14 (Post 2172515)
Strange "use" of quotation marks

http://oi60.tinypic.com/wuider.jpg

lol

not "lol"

Ultramaroon 03-17-2015 12:47 PM

We need a new punctuation symbol for air quotes.

OnkelC 03-18-2015 08:41 AM

http://i.imgur.com/ftcGTMA.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.