Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mach V Awesome wheels (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8005)

Mach V Dan 06-06-2012 04:39 PM

Mach V Awesome wheels
 
It's our first Mach V wheel. We call it the Awesome.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...prototype1.jpg

It's 17x9 +42. 56.1 bore, so no hubcentric rings required. It's drilled with BOTH 5x100 and 5x114 bolt patterns, so it'll fit the FR-S/BRZ you have now, and any other Subaru product (and lots of Scion ones) in the future. It'll clear giant brakes, like STi Brembos, if you ever were to upgrade to those.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...b.jpg~original

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...c.jpg~original

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...b.jpg~original

It's made using high-tech flow-formed casting, so it's light! Only 17.8 pounds.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...2.jpg~original

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...3.jpg~original

Available in four colors: Gunmetal , Metal Silver, gold, and matte black.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...a.jpg~original

Ideal tire size is a 245/40R17, although you can fit a 255/40R17 -- that's what is shown on our shop car above.

NOW IN STOCK!


Mach V Awesome -- click me!


Priced within reach at $249 each. Click the link for ordering. For a shipping quote, add what you want to your shopping cart and enter your address info. The web site will quote you the shipping.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com

Lost 06-07-2012 06:44 PM

Looking forward to seeing the brz pictures!

Flat Black VW 06-12-2012 05:12 PM

Wish we could have done the test fit today, looking forward to seeing them on your car this weekend!

Godzilla35 06-18-2012 04:12 AM

can you explain the difference between forging and high-tech flow-formed casting?
pros v. cons?

and also, some info on the company / where the wheels are made?

Mach V Dan 06-20-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 247302)
Looking forward to seeing the brz pictures!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...BRZ/7220-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7837.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7840.jpg


Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla35 (Post 263836)
can you explain the difference between forging and high-tech flow-formed casting?
pros v. cons?

Forging wheels is done using a very powerful press -- tens of thousands of tons of pressure. Think of a blacksmith hammering a horseshoe -- that's a forging process. It results in a very strong finished product, but is extremely expensive to do.

Flow-form casting involves heating the aluminum to near-melting -- it's like soft butter -- and then pushing it into a mold. It's still more of a casting process than a forging, but the result is stronger than if you simply poured liquid metal into a mold.

Quote:

...and also, some info on the company / where the wheels are made?
Made in asia, by a company that produces wheels for many other aftermarket and OEM private labels.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com

Godzilla35 06-21-2012 04:04 AM

Thanks for the info Dan. Let me know if you have any pics on a black FRS. Thinking about doing a Bronze by any chance?

Mach V Dan 06-21-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla35 (Post 270215)
Thanks for the info Dan. Let me know if you have any pics on a black FRS. Thinking about doing a Bronze by any chance?

We'll have gold before we have bronze.

Mach V Awesome on the scale with Pirelli 255/40R17:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...heels/7926.jpg

Stock wheel/tire weighs 41.4 pounds.

:)

--Dan
Mach V

bimmerboy 06-21-2012 01:18 PM

looks great! Any chance of a 17x8 size for the folks who want to run a little less tire?

Mach V Dan 06-21-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy (Post 270745)
looks great! Any chance of a 17x8 size for the folks who want to run a little less tire?

Not currently planned, but if we get enough demand, we might.

--Dan
Mach V

ttknf 06-21-2012 02:18 PM

So they're just cheap knock-offs of 5Zigen FN01R-Cs?

bimmerboy 06-21-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 270861)
Not currently planned, but if we get enough demand, we might.

--Dan
Mach V

Cool- like you mentioned, a 245/40/17 would probably be closer to the stock tire diameter, your current setup makes the BRZ look like an off-road vehicle!

Mach V Dan 06-21-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 270867)
So they're just cheap knock-offs of 5Zigen FN01R-Cs?

When it's time for you to make your own wheel, you can make it as innovative as you want. We found there's only so many ways you can configure five spokes. It's bound to end up looking like something.

As to "cheap," I'm not sure how to answer that. They sure weren't cheap to make, I can tell you that.

--Dan
Mach V

Mach V Dan 06-21-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy (Post 270897)
Cool- like you mentioned, a 245/40/17 would probably be closer to the stock tire diameter, your current setup makes the BRZ look like an off-road vehicle!

The stock setup already makes it look like an off-road vehicle!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7056.jpg

Mach V lowering springs are in the works. They'll lower the car by an inch.

--Dan
Mach V

ttknf 06-21-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 270898)
When it's time for you to make your own wheel, you can make it as innovative as you want. We found there's only so many ways you can configure five spokes. It's bound to end up looking like something.

As to "cheap," I'm not sure how to answer that. They sure weren't cheap to make, I can tell you that.

--Dan
Mach V

There's a difference between "similar" and "same" when it comes to appearance. This is virtually identical to a FN01R-C, which is already a quality, reasonably-priced wheel, so I'm a bit confused on what you guys are trying to achieve here.

uspspro 06-22-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 271670)
There's a difference between "similar" and "same" when it comes to appearance. This is virtually identical to a FN01R-C, which is already a quality, reasonably-priced wheel, so I'm a bit confused on what you guys are trying to achieve here.

Well for one, you can't get this size/PCD combo with the 5zigen.

2nd, the weight for this 17x9 is very good.

Why bag on this vendor? :respekt:

Silp3 06-28-2012 10:44 PM

update on 255 wheel fitment?? any rubbing?

spiller 06-29-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 271670)
There's a difference between "similar" and "same" when it comes to appearance. This is virtually identical to a FN01R-C, which is already a quality, reasonably-priced wheel, so I'm a bit confused on what you guys are trying to achieve here.

Why the hate? If you love the 5Zigen's so much, go buy them, then there'll be no need for you to troll here.

bneale 06-29-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 269051)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...BRZ/7220-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7837.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7840.jpg



Forging wheels is done using a very powerful press -- tens of thousands of tons of pressure. Think of a blacksmith hammering a horseshoe -- that's a forging process. It results in a very strong finished product, but is extremely expensive to do.

Flow-form casting involves heating the aluminum to near-melting -- it's like soft butter -- and then pushing it into a mold. It's still more of a casting process than a forging, but the result is stronger than if you simply poured liquid metal into a mold.


Made in asia, by a company that produces wheels for many other aftermarket and OEM private labels.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com


Just to clarify things here, are these photos of the 17x9 rim on the stock suspension?

I'm just wondering because I'm trying to find a set of 17x9's but everytime I think I find a set, people mention they will rub at full lock.

I'd love to confirm if these 17x9's work with the stock suspension. I'm planning on buying wheels for the STX class in Autocrossing and these will be on my list if they will fit with the stock suspension (I will be upgrading this later and prefer to buy the wheels first).

bneale

Mach V Dan 07-05-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bneale (Post 287341)
Just to clarify things here, are these photos of the 17x9 rim on the stock suspension?

Yes.

Quote:

I'm just wondering because I'm trying to find a set of 17x9's but everytime I think I find a set, people mention they will rub at full lock.
If it does, it's so minor I didn't notice. I don't think I've had full suspension compression AND full steering lock, but that'd be hard to achieve...

--Dan
Mach V

sfwg 07-22-2012 09:53 PM

Any way to get a picture looking down the side of the car? Do these poke or Sink or are they flush?

BRZ88 07-22-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 297578)
Yes.


If it does, it's so minor I didn't notice. I don't think I've had full suspension compression AND full steering lock, but that'd be hard to achieve...

--Dan
Mach V

What size tires on those 17x9?

Entropy 07-24-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 269051)

245 or 255? Tires look a little big for a 245 on a 9" wide wheel.

Awesome job on the wheels. 17x9 @ 17.8lbs is great!

Also, do you know the total weight (wheel + tire)?

Edit: Decided to open my eyes and read over thread again... They are 255s and weigh 37.3 lbs :bonk:

FRSpdDmn 07-25-2012 01:06 PM

Dan, is this the same as a D-Force wheel? I have 3 sets of the D-Force's for my racecar and I quite like them. They look exactly the same. Not similar.... same. That's not a bad thing, though. I WANT a set of the D-Force's for my FR-S!

FRSpdDmn 07-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSpdDmn (Post 337736)
Dan, is this the same as a D-Force wheel? I have 3 sets of the D-Force's for my racecar and I quite like them. They look exactly the same. Not similar.... same. That's not a bad thing, though. I WANT a set of the D-Force's for my FR-S!

So, I just talked to Tom at D-Force and he confirmed that these ARE the same wheels. That's great to hear!
Is there any way you could have them made withOUT the second set of holes drilled? I really dislike that look.
Second, what do you think about a group buy?

Thanks!

Mach V Dan 07-26-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSpdDmn (Post 339888)
Is there any way you could have them made withOUT the second set of holes drilled? I really dislike that look.
Second, what do you think about a group buy?

We've been thinking we might do a narrower (and lighter) version of this wheel specifically for the BRZ/FR-S. It would be five-hole, might be slightly less expensive, and would be a pound (or more) lighter. Probably 17x7.5".

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com

Flat Black VW 07-26-2012 05:34 PM

If you did a brz/frs specific would you also offer a wider size for the rear? I would like to have staggered set up but wouldn't want 5 hole fronts with multi lug rear.

RiskyTrousers 07-26-2012 05:53 PM

Hey Dan,

Are these compatible with the stock TPMS sensors?

Thanks!

Entropy 07-27-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 340466)
We've been thinking we might do a narrower (and lighter) version of this wheel specifically for the BRZ/FR-S. It would be five-hole, might be slightly less expensive, and would be a pound (or more) lighter. Probably 17x7.5".

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com

17x7.5 +25 would fit nicely... Only 2mm outside clearance difference (inwards) from the 17x9 +42. Would be perfectly flush. It's hard to see people putting such high offset wheels on these twins! I would be all wheels of this size.

Mach V Dan 07-27-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers (Post 340669)
Are these compatible with the stock TPMS sensors?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy (Post 341541)
17x7.5 +25 would fit nicely... Only 2mm outside clearance difference (inwards) from the 17x9 +42. Would be perfectly flush. It's hard to see people putting such high offset wheels on these twins! I would be all wheels of this size.

I don't think we'll do the offset that low. Lower offset in the front leads to compromises in handling because you're moving the wheel center away from the steering axis. My guess is they'll be stock offset; customers can always space them out further if they want using wheel spacers.

--Dan
Mach V

Mach V Dan 07-27-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Black VW (Post 340624)
If you did a brz/frs specific would you also offer a wider size for the rear? I would like to have staggered set up but wouldn't want 5 hole fronts with multi lug rear.

Probably not, but we do have a wheel that we carry NOW that has that option, and that's the Rota D.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/1123.jpg

We put 18x8.5" +44 all around on this car, but we do also stock an 18x9.5 +40 version of the same wheel that would fit very well on the back.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...Force/9821.jpg

--Dan
Mach V

mattles 07-27-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 271670)
There's a difference between "similar" and "same" when it comes to appearance. This is virtually identical to a FN01R-C, which is already a quality, reasonably-priced wheel, so I'm a bit confused on what you guys are trying to achieve here.

so this guy is a douchebag. Cool.

ttknf 07-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattles (Post 341977)
so this guy is a douchebag. Cool.

I'm not a douche bag, I just don't like knock-off parts.

mattles 07-27-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 342630)
I'm not a douche bag, I just don't like knock-off parts.

I want to see you go get the toolings and create your own wheel, then you might have room to talk.

Let's see you design, create, test, manufacture, and sell you own model of wheel, and it had better be original! Oh, it also needs to fit on our cars, be lightweight, affordable, and incredibly strong.

OrbitalEllipses 07-27-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttknf (Post 342630)
I'm not a douche bag, I just don't like knock-off parts.

There was NO wheel like this available when Mach V released these. They're essentially D Force wheels (confirmed that months ago, but you have confirmation above). Neither 5Zigen nor D Force offered a wheel in this size in this fitment; Mach V did a lot for the Subaru community by offering these wheels.

mattles 07-28-2012 12:07 AM

also, arent the 5zigen FN0R1C wheels discontinued anyways?

Mild2Wild 07-30-2012 11:53 PM

Can we please see a picture from directly down the side of the vehicle? If at stock height the +50 offset is flush can we see how the 8mm of poke looks? Does lowering the vehicle on the Mach V springs make +42 flush?

Mach V Dan 07-31-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mild2Wild (Post 348760)
Can we please see a picture from directly down the side of the vehicle?

With Mach V lowering springs:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...rings/6068.jpg

Stock ride height:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7152.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/BRZ/7133.jpg

Note that these tires are 255/40R17, which is taller and wider than ideal on this car. It's just what we already had mounted, so we put them on. A better match would be 245/40R17.

--Dan
Mach V

Mild2Wild 07-31-2012 10:46 AM

Thanks a lot for those! Pokes a little more than I'd like in the front but at this width and weight combo, it can't be beat.

daveyboy 08-12-2012 06:25 PM

Those wheels are indeed, er, awesome.

They would be even more awesome if we could get a coupon code/go on sale!

Mach V Dan 08-14-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyboy (Post 375174)
They would be even more awesome if we could get a coupon code/go on sale!

We think they're already an excellent value, and we cannot afford to sell them for less. Sorry.

--Dan
Mach V


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.