Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Optimal tint (California mostly) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7687)

Oriental Life 06-03-2012 08:06 PM

Optimal tint (California mostly)
 
I will be tinting my DGM BRZ, but I can't make a decision on what % tint to use.

With California's 70% tint limit for front windows (driver and front passenger) there is not much you can do. Well, almost nothing :)

In our family people mover, I was able to get away with 20% in the back and 50% upfront, since the car is light-color and interior is also light. This color contrast creates illusion that front windows are Ok.

But with coupe, I'm having second thoughts:

40% all around

or

20% in the back, 60% on the sides.

What do you think? How do you plan to tint if you are in the state that aggressively regulates tint limits? Thanks!

Fish 06-03-2012 10:33 PM

I believe any tint on the front windows is illegal actually. I remember when they made me pull the tint off my Evo windows...

From chp.ca.gov

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.


Probably not going to tint the windows on mine. I kinda like it the way it is.

BigFatFlip 06-03-2012 11:02 PM

I was originally not planning on doing any tinting at all but I'm having second thoughts. As Fish mentioned, any tinting on the front windows is illegal in Ca (I've gotten a fix-it ticket for it in the past). I am, on the other hand, considering doing some tinting for the rear window and those two tiny rear side windows, probably a mild to 40% tint.

Oriental Life, let me know when you do the tinting, I'm looking for a good tinter around the area (all I get from friends are "yeah, my cousin could do it for ya!")

Fish 06-03-2012 11:09 PM

My buddy actually just tinted his 3 rear windows. Forgot what the % was. But on a Raven black FR-S, it looks really good.

SuperSatinBrz 06-03-2012 11:14 PM

Let me know if you guys find a good tint place in the bay area. I was planning on going no tint for the life of the car, but depending on fellow close by owners, you guys might just change my mind.

86design 06-03-2012 11:15 PM

i just tinted my windows today... but I just tinted the 3 rear windows...

the two sides and the rear window...

the guy charged me $60 with life time warranty

Tinted windows 35% (still wanted a kinda stock look to the car)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-14-15_332.jpghttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-52-42_834.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-52-58_287.jpg

BigFatFlip 06-04-2012 12:25 AM

^Very nice! Just what I had in mind.

Fly Guy 06-04-2012 01:14 AM

I'm thinking of the 3M Crystalline 90 to block the UV rays. It's a real light tint.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

mrha 06-04-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86design (Post 239370)
i just tinted my windows today... but I just tinted the 3 rear windows...

the two sides and the rear window...

the guy charged me $60 with life time warranty

Tinted windows 35% (still wanted a kinda stock look to the car)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-14-15_332.jpghttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-52-42_834.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...-52-58_287.jpg

Are those ARC splitters I see?

Oriental Life 06-04-2012 02:10 AM

Well, regulations aside (I know no-tint laws are there mainly to protect law enforcement officers at expense of our health, unfortunately), there are still legal ways of doing it in CA. Like getting a prescription from your doctor about your eyes sensitivity to light. Unfortunately, I can use similar 'bypass' to justify my tinting needs, but I won't.

I previously went with this place, which properly bakes tint film onto the glass: http://www.calautotint.com/auto-tinting Cost me something like 400 to do the entire SUV all around (minus windshield) As always, every place gives you free removal if you get fix-it tickets. I will go with them again, once I get all DMV docs cleared.

I want to do sides with one tone (%). Its either flush, or nothing. If I go 60% that will give me UV protection + better car appeal. But I definitely want back at 20%, considering how low the car sits (and those SUVs flushing lights on the highways)

Liquidsnake 06-04-2012 02:18 AM

I did 35% all around. I live in LA. I do it to keep the sun out, as my eyes are sensitive to bright light. That and The police will never dictate how my car looks I don't care how much money I spend. I will never have a front license plate and my windows will always be tinted.

If I get ticketed, 24 hours after the write off, they will be back to the way they were.

Oriental Life 06-04-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsnake (Post 239651)
I did 35% all around. I live in LA.

Whats your car color? I bet with my DGM I need to step one grade darker to match it appropriately.

Liquidsnake 06-04-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oriental Life (Post 239662)
Whats your car color? I bet with my DGM I need to step one grade darker to match it appropriately.

Whiteout. Looks bad ass but it's not too dark. I had 35% on my Z and never got a ticket for it.

Oriental Life 06-04-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsnake (Post 239680)
Whiteout. Looks bad ass but it's not too dark. I had 35% on my Z and never got a ticket for it.


Gotcha. Thanks! Yes, I agree tickets for tinting seems like a rare thing up here too. Cops look more at your driving patterns rather than looks (well, most of the times :) )

86design 06-04-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrha (Post 239552)
Are those ARC splitters I see?

good eye! yes they car...we installed them on saturday morning...:happy0180:

86design 06-04-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsnake (Post 239680)
Whiteout. Looks bad ass but it's not too dark. I had 35% on my Z and never got a ticket for it.

35% is the way to go i think...:clap:

Mari0 06-04-2012 06:06 AM

I'll probably be doing something between 20-30% on just the rear window and the small side ones (keeping it legal)

Giccin 06-04-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oriental Life (Post 239640)
Well, regulations aside (I know no-tint laws are there mainly to protect law enforcement officers at expense of our health, unfortunately), there are still legal ways of doing it in CA. Like getting a prescription from your doctor about your eyes sensitivity to light. Unfortunately, I can use similar 'bypass' to justify my tinting needs, but I won't.

I previously went with this place, which properly bakes tint film onto the glass: http://www.calautotint.com/auto-tinting Cost me something like 400 to do the entire SUV all around (minus windshield) As always, every place gives you free removal if you get fix-it tickets. I will go with them again, once I get all DMV docs cleared.

I want to do sides with one tone (%). Its either flush, or nothing. If I go 60% that will give me UV protection + better car appeal. But I definitely want back at 20%, considering how low the car sits (and those SUVs flushing lights on the highways)

I am so happy a good friend of mine is an optometrist. lol

Symbiont 06-04-2012 02:45 PM

I did 25% on the rear three and 35% up front. I love the way it looks... even if it may not be strictly legal.

burt 06-04-2012 04:04 PM

I think 35% all around is the way to go in avoiding tickets. I've had that on my last 2 cars and never any problems from cops even when pulled up right next to them window half way down.

finch1750 06-04-2012 06:02 PM

If your looking for a good tint place in the bay area try Omega Werks in Pleassnaton or Quality Glass and Tint in Santa Clara.

dookie11 06-04-2012 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still have tint on my car... I just play dumb and tell the cop that I read somewhere online that you could have 30% tint at the front and limo tint on the back, and they let me go.

86design 06-04-2012 09:51 PM

^^ wow that car is clean!! there's really not a lot of clean preludes out there...

ihaskrayon 06-04-2012 11:13 PM

I had 20% all around on my WRX. I was pulled over once and my windows were already down and he almost gave me a fix it ticket, but I just said my windows are always down when I drive, I just use it for sun protection when it's parked. He let me go. I will probably do 20% again

PMok 06-04-2012 11:54 PM

I had 35% on sides and back of my IS, and for 2 years I never got pulled over for tint. Then I added rims and a windshield decal, and within a week got pulled over for it. Had to remove the tint from the front two windows, and didn't bother putting it back... not worth the trouble to me. Took the windshield decal off too though. Maybe it was just bad luck but why ask for trouble...

DrDuquette 06-05-2012 12:47 AM

Put what you like. Both my cars (4door) have tint all round(except the windshield). But I always make the front two a shade lighter. In doing so it makes it look like there isn't any. Realize that the front windshield will also lighten up the front two. I would make the back even darker. So in the end you would have 3 different levels.

What's the big deal with a fix it ticket. You take it off, then get it signed off, then go put it back on. In 15 years of driving with the tint I have been pulled over two times. The first time in 1998 I took it off the put it back a week later. The second time in 2005 I had a friend/officer sign off for me.

Calidrifter 06-05-2012 04:25 AM

My s14 had 35 on two front and 20 on back 3. Never had an issue and this was back when we had massive meets here in the San Fernando valley.

mr. slim 06-05-2012 05:35 AM

I might just do 45% all around. Our back interior makes it look darker.

Mari0 06-05-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 240352)
I am so happy a good friend of mine is an optometrist. lol

Wanna hook me up? Haha :lol:

PMok 06-05-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDuquette (Post 241513)
What's the big deal with a fix it ticket. You take it off, then get it signed off, then go put it back on. In 15 years of driving with the tint I have been pulled over two times. The first time in 1998 I took it off the put it back a week later. The second time in 2005 I had a friend/officer sign off for me.

the big deal is it costs money. plus the hassle of taking it off, then get the ticket signed off, then getting tint put on again. maybe in SoCal the tinting is cheap (I know its real competitive down there) or maybe even they'll put it back on for free, but up in NorCal it's a couple hundred for tint, and I'm guessing at least $100 to reapply just the front sides. Not like you can reuse the film after it's been removed.

DrDuquette 06-05-2012 09:52 AM

I guess I get good deals. One shop did the sides for $20 extra. I understand where you are coming from. But after enjoying getting into a cool car in the hot sun, and my wife saying how nice it is driving around without the glare, I feel it is worth every penny. Of course if you make it too dark you will be in trouble.

Giccin 06-05-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari0 (Post 241797)
Wanna hook me up? Haha :lol:

Sure. :>

Mari0 06-05-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 242088)
Sure. :>

great! Now I just need a car :cry:

dookie11 06-05-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 242088)
Sure. :>

My cousin's an optometrist. What steps should I be following in order to get a "get out of jail card" every time?

Username 06-05-2012 09:37 PM

My stoner friends are going to make fun of me for going thru the same "doctors prescription" process they went thru to get a medical marijuana card, just so I can have my windows slightly darker....

Giccin 06-06-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookie11 (Post 243250)
My cousin's an optometrist. What steps should I be following in order to get a "get out of jail card" every time?

Get it tinted. Then get a prescription notice from your cousin. Whenever the police officer pulls you over (which isn't as likely as you think since most cops have their cars tinted really heavy too) he/she will say.. "Do you know why I'm pulling you over?" and of course your response would be.. "I'm not sure what I did wrong officer." They'll say.. "your tint is too dark"

Your response?

"I have a prescription from my optometrist that my retina is highly sensitive to light and if I get too much I can become blind" *show them prescription*

They will let you off. If you get a fix it ticket.. You can fight it in court because your eyes are sensitive. You can't arrest a guy for being handicap. Like you can't say no to a cancer patient who wants to survive. :>

Giccin 06-06-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username (Post 243291)
My stoner friends are going to make fun of me for going thru the same "doctors prescription" process they went thru to get a medical marijuana card, just so I can have my windows slightly darker....

Tell them to piss off. Lol

So what if you want your windows darker, your car cooler and have a better look to your car. At least it's something you want.


Not to beat a dead horse but... you should do what YOU like to do. Screw what other people think. I don't see a benefit of being a stoner if you don't really need it but whatever. Spend some stupid amount of money for 1g of weed.

Tinted windows? So many Benefits.. you could have sex in it without too many leering eyes. It keeps your car cooler. Your car looks fking cool. AND its shady-er.

Username 06-06-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 243835)

Screw what other people think. I don't see a benefit of being a stoner if you don't really need it but whatever. Spend some stupid amount of money for 1g of weed.


Oh trust me, I am not worried about them giving me a hard time. See, while they were spending their hard earned cash on getting stoned I was busy getting my moneys in order for the new car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 243835)

Tinted windows? So many Benefits.. you could have sex in it without too many leering eyes.

Without too many leering eyes? What percent tint do you find lets in just the right amount of leery eyes? :lol::D

Giccin 06-06-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Username (Post 243858)
Without too many leering eyes? What percent tint do you find lets in just the right amount of leery eyes? :lol::D

25% :P lol

dookie11 06-06-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 243835)

Tinted windows? So many Benefits.. you could have sex in it without too many leering eyes. It keeps your car cooler. Your car looks fking cool. AND its shady-er.

Because our cars already look shady rollin down the street with tinted windows rolled up, right? Or were you talking about shade from the sun? LOL


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.