![]() |
Project Tow Car - Lightning Red BRZ
Hey what is up everyone making a build thread here for my 2014 red BRZ limited 6spd.
Where the car currently sits http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pst0dtj8ye.jpg Exterior: 25% tint all around Valenti CR Tails Uhaul v1 hitch JDM Clear Side Markers Grimspeed License Plate Mount Engine/Exhaust: Invidia N1 Catback K&N Drop in Filter Sound Tube delete Motul 300 all around! Interior: Flossy Elton Heavyweight Shift Knob Illuminated Footwell kit JPM Cluster Hood Weathertech Floor mats Perrin Shifter Bushing JBL 10" Subwoofer in DIY Enclosure JBL GX-A602 Amp Wheels/Suspension: Tein Street Basis Coilovers PBM LCA SPC Camber Bolts Sport Edition SE-16 16x7.5 +50 w/ Pirelli Snows ESM 007 18x8.5 +35 powdercoated Gunmetal 235/40/18 Federal SS-595 Rota SS10 17x9 + 42 245/40/17 Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors Stoptech SS lines Stoptech Performance pads Stoptech STR600 Fluid (not in yet) http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pskqa9blhr.jpg Little background! I've pretty much been into cars as long as I remember. Got lucky early on with a good choice and purchased a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS as my first car, which was perfect. Adequate power for being 16, really good looking car and fun to drive. It didn't change much for awhile but in my Senior year i had the opportunity to do a senior project. So rather than going to class for something else I opted to do that and made my engine swap project in the RS eligible for the senior project which was fantastic. I didn't even know what I was really doing when I got started. I could turn a wrench and do the basic stuff on the Subaru but never had I undertaken anything so time consuming/difficult on a car up to this point. Ran into some roadblocks along the way and didn't finish the car in a semester but fast forward about 10 months haha Started here: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...S/sideleft.jpg with this: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ale/wrx001.jpg Stripped shell: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...e/DSC03131.jpg and complete! http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27.../carhalfsm.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...%209/BAM97.jpg Final spec sheet was full 2006 WRX swap (basically everything except seats and body stuff). WRX dash swap, sparco racing seats, stage 2 tune (225whp, 275 wtq) HKS exhaust and titek dp, JIC coilovers, cusco sway bars, some exterior goodies etc it was a good car. Made the mistake of selling it the end of my freshman year of college. Don't really know why. Got a good price for it but still I spent a ton of time working on the car, lots of money ha too. I knew every bolt and nut on the car; it's easily one of my biggest regrets getting rid of it :( Tried to make up for that along the way but never really had anything comparable after that. The list of cars after the RS was sold: went to a 1990 240sx, stock engine, lots of modifications suspension wise. Handled/drifted very well, cosmetcially needed a little help. but so does every 240 http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...sx/pueblo2.jpg After that bought a 96 Impreza OBS. Did a few things, ran it up to 235k miles and sold it to my brother who put another 20k on it before he sold it, still running well http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...S/IMGP5878.jpg repainted it with some friends http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps79ab6724.jpg Then drove an 03 330i ZHP for about a year, put 25k miles on it fast. It didn't age well, wasn't in great shape when I bought it. I'm not a BMW guy so I wasn't a huge fan http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps1b8e732f.jpg Sold that and bought this guy, ended up getting screwed by the seller, still dealing with the issue in court right now :thumbdown: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psf893c13f.jpg Bought an 05 Legacy GT with a blown engine, fixed that and drove it for awhile http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psd27e5d94.jpg Then traded that in and got the BRZ! I have been driving cars for a long time that I haven't been very happy with. I'm a car guy so I don't mind buying stuff and fixing it but it kind of came time to get something that would be nice and reliable that I can drive every day and not have to worry about it not starting in the morning. A friend convinced me that I should spend a little bit more especially that I can afford it (graduated/got a job as a Mechanical Engineer in Boulder, co) and that I'll be happier with that. So I test drove a BRZ and an FR-S and eventually ended up financing post trade in with the LGT a '14 BRZ from a dealership in Thornton, CO. Fantastic salesguy, really painless process. Didn't know I was going to leave that day with the BRZ but I couldn't have been happier. Came with the beautiful racing stripes https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...92321376_n.jpg Got rid of those and took a nice photo with a friend's GF and her time attack built STI (thing is sweet, and she is fast) https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...586dcb19d44651 Bought Valenti's and Invidia Catback http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pse441a9fd.jpg Got the hitch for the motorcycle trailer :D http://i.imgur.com/fE0VcFM.jpg And finally bought some coilovers http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps9f04e947.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pse91e49be.jpg I've had a lot of cars over the years. Not all daily drivers but the list goes: 98 Impreza RS, 96 525i, 80 Civic, 03 OBS, 90 240sx, 96 OBS, 90 Rx7 5.0 swap, 95 Corolla wagon, 03 330i, 05 LGT, 05 STI, 14 BRZ plus '00 Ducati Monster 750, '03 GSXR600, '05 R6, now '06 CBR600 Race bike Lots of the photos! More to come with time. Saving up for wheels and a lip kit most likely, go from there. Lots of plans but they'll have to wait |
That car wash photo is priceless. Sub'd for that reason alone :p
I'm also in a similar boat - I have all the mods for my FR-S planned out, but none of the money yet... |
Not much to report. turns out stock tires are terrible in the snow. Bought a set of used Sport Edition se-16's with Pirelli snow tires on them for about 400 bucks. Much better. Super fun to drive in the snow
(16x7.5 +50 w/ 215/55/16) http://scontent-a-sea.cdninstagram.c...51082047_n.jpg |
I'm interested to hear what happened with the blobeye and your court issues. Care to tell the tale? :D
|
On the STI, basically what happened is I got played haha
Was looking for a car for awhile after I sold my 330i. Found that one, was listed for 10.5k which was a really good deal (should have been the first red flag!) had around 110k miles something like that. I test drove it with a friend and it was pretty nice. Clearly needed some work which is why I wasn't completely scared off by the low price. mechanically it was solid. Body needed a little love. It was obvious it had been rear ended and fixed at some point, had a super janky exhaust, really tasteless paint inside and out (lime green calipers, blue and green spray paint under the hood and blue matched accents inside the car). Was fairly dirty inside. It drove well but it really needed some tlc. So I bought it! but here was the second red flag. The problem was I too anxious to get a car and it bit me. He told me he had a lien on the car, needed some cash to pay it off. So I paid him half, and he gave me the car. He later said that if I gave him the rest of the money (said the title was paid at this point and on its way) he would take some off the total and call it good. Great I thought (stupid in hindsight). Drove the car for a couple months, started to clean things up etc. I keep on him about the title (even got it insured and all) but nothing really. Couple months go by, I get a call that his check supposedly bounced to the dealer where he bought it, and now they have to reposes the car. Well that's awesome. Says he'll bring cash with him and come take the car back. Supposedly there wasn't another option So he shows up, with his "dad" and girlfriend. Turns out he didn't have money on him so stupid me (again with the hindsight) write up an agreement for him to pay me back and full and like an idiot I let him take the car. We keep talking keep trying to meet up for money he keeps putting it off, making excuses, etc that sort of stuff. Last time he supposedly has a friend coming to help me, we meet downtown but he never shows up. I keep calling/texting him while I wait , no answer no reply that stuff. Leave him a nice message letting him know what I think of the situation and that was that. Next day I get a call from the police, supposedly they called the cops on me for harassment. They tell me to stop calling and get someone else to deal with it. I file a police report with the Westminster PD end up dealing with a very nice detective who is very helpful. Turns out the guy is a repeat felon on minor things (around 10 cases lol and he's 24 like me ...) Detective gets the guy and his girlfriend in, gets their story as well. Turns out they bought the car, financed it or something through a dealer, ended up buying the car about 2 weeks before I bought it which means they intended to use the car as bait to rip someone off. Their down payment check bounced and they were force to self repo the car or get in big trouble. Turns out both the guy and his GF can both be in trouble for title fraud or something like that. However, the cop tells me to go to civil court because criminal cases take forever and won't guarantee me any money back. So I've been dealing with civil court for awhile. its a pain but has been relatively easy. They never show up to court so everything has been ruled in my favor. The case finally closed last week which is awesome, currently in the process of getting information from them (court mandated) about where they work/bank/what cars they own/any property/houses owned etc. I can basically empty their bank accounts, put liens on property and garnish their wages until I get my 10k back. It sucks and it'll take time but I'm finally en route to getting my money back. Not fun and I'll never be an idiot like that again. An expensive mistake on my part but hopefully I can get a decent portion back in a reasonable amount of time. Luckily I had that legacy to sell in the meantime and was able to finance the BRZ so I'm happy with my car situation now and I have a nice paying job (engineer!) so I'm not hurting too bad but it would be super nice to get that money back asap Under the hood for reference http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps32341451.jpg and inside http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...s3dc0bf96.jpeg I did love driving it though, pretty fast and fantastic in the snow (bought it in the middle of winter) had my fun with it (see below lol). I do miss it but I'm much happier with the BRZ |
Couple Christmas presents to myself
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps91deab40.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps4be5d114.jpg Its been very cold and snowy here. Thus the car being so dirty :/ |
Quote:
|
Thanks man! I believe the court deal is pretty much over; the case is currently closed and the information I need to collect should be in my mailbox today or tomorrow
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
Relatively close to it! I work over by the Ball Campus, we are more or less surrounded by Ball buildings. I do go to Saunders quite often though lol |
Quote:
If your car was parked there now, I could literally see it from my office window. Mine is the GBS BRZ that parks just off of Commerce across from the Ball Test facility. And about 100 yards north of that spot is where this happened during the flood: http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps67dcd373.jpg http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=boulder That guy gave me his car cover and floor mats :-) |
Quote:
Yea that's right I'm 2 doors down from those guys. They are fairly loud during the summer time when all the kids are singing their heads off lol |
Installed a trunk net lol
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psq0afai8q.jpg Otherwise nothing has changed. I ordered some wheels that I think are going to look really sweet! The weather has been nice so it seemed like a logical time. Selling my stock wheels/tires to my roommate for cheap because I'm a nice person lol Soon to come but not ordered yet Toe arms! (Probably SPL, maybe PBM when those come out) Front lip/skirts/rear apron JPM dash piece Tires Here's a clean photo from recent https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...39841991_o.jpg |
If your roommate decides not to buy your wheels, let me know.
I have driven through your parking lot a couple times with my BRZ when I saw your car parked trying to get your attention, but you must not have seen me. And I forgot to mention that I have a tactrix in case you want to mess with a tune. It was immediately noticeable when I tried the OFT stage 1. |
Hmm I will have to think about that, haven't considered a tune to date.
Sorry he ended up buying them and plastidipping them haha he really likes bright things: (just needed a 5mm spacer up front) https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...26&oe=55BBDC7B https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...49&oe=557951E0 Also installed the stoptech pads, rotors and lines all around saturday. Feels good! http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psjor9pimj.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psbi7km9c5.jpg My new wheels came :D |
Quote:
brother. so glad you got the court on your side and yes, we all do foolish things when a "too good to be true" offer comes our way. What a piece of trash for trying to do that to you.. Hope all is well :cheers: |
Yea it hasn't been fun. Quite the learning experience but super crappy. Submitted the final paperwork, just need to serve their place of work an collect a tiny amount of money every month :(
|
New wheels installed! Still need to mess around with suspension. Little bit of rubbing in the rear. The street basis Doesn't go super low so I don't think I can bring the front down much but we'll see later today.
Needs a little more camber in the rear and some camber in the front. If I can't bring the front down, I'll raise the rear a bit to level it. These nittos have a pretty fat sidewall and they fill the wheels pretty well. I think I'm happy with them ha just a bit shinier than I thought they'd be but hey, its different which I like a lot ESM 007 18x8.5+35 Platinum w/ 245/40/18 Nitto NT01. Huge thanks to @GuerillaRacing for helping me out, he was super patient with me when I sent a flurry of messages his way ha http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psjf1flryj.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps0meu6sjm.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psby7wzicq.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psxcp7diqn.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psn3cuhlhk.jpg I'll try and whip out the camera later this week and get some real photos. Just took some quick phone shots yesterday |
Looks sick!! Thanks for the photos. Love the meaty look.
|
Proper fitment and wheel/tire setup
Renato Team TWM Performance |
Thanks @TWMPerformance! I didn't want to go too crazy as I have to daily this thing everywhere on crappy roads haha
Sorry if you don't like the decals I love stickers haha if you couldn't tell http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psdumapwik.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psvrrxtedz.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psjhu4ds7t.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps1glsnmus.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psk6ghprpj.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ps8egxughv.jpg |
Quote:
Renato Team TWM Performance |
Had it leveled and aligned! Now sitting at -1.5* front and -2.5* rear camber. These tires are so fat it's not like its even that crazy of a setup. Still rubs in the rears occasionally!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psmepdtvco.jpg |
From yesterday's show
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...4d12de087cf7dd The bike looking fresh now https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...12518051_o.jpg |
Saw you! We were one row over. Our FR-S had the vinyl removed and new wheels so probably didn't recognize it.
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server3...g?t=1430777781 |
Oh I did see it did not know that was you guys! That's awesome the car looked super good. Stats on the wheels? Thats a great look
|
Thanks! A big change from the 16" Enkeis, hehe. They are Work XSA-04C in 18x9.5" +30.
|
|
saw it at the show, looked nice and clean!
|
Got the wheels powdercoated because a wheel cleaner destroyed the finish of the "chrome" which was sad. Didn't realize they were so acidic.
Decided between gunmetal and white. Opted for gunmetal because thought white would look too busy with this particular design and would be terrible to clean. I kind of regret that decision but hey it's what I have now. Finish is less shiny/metallic than I wanted but once again, oh well haha car needs a wash bad. getting detailed soon due for a wax http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pstwlg7wjn.jpg Also traded my N1 for a Buddy Club, doesn't look as nice but sounds 100% better IMO without a header http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pste5csta1.jpg also one from the weekend. Bike suffered a crash ha. But got it back together and raced it https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...49&oe=56532F2D |
Installed a Perrin Shift bushing, Motul 300 in the tranny and diff, washed and waxed. Feels good! Just over 1 year of ownership
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...48&oe=567529ED https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1d&oe=567F1C1C and fixed the plastic/repainted the bike after the crash https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5c&oe=568459D6 |
Traded my wheels, installed a license plate relocator. That's about all that's happened to date haha
17x9 Rota SS10 17x9 + 42 with 245/40/17 That and been to the dealership twice for the same oil leak. Should be fixed by now I hope... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psubzq5zmi.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...pst0dtj8ye.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psxqajrdua.jpg Also I moved to San Francisco. Nice change of scenery |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.