Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Acceleration/Excessive Wear Discussion (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76314)

Pegasus 10-21-2014 12:59 AM

Acceleration/Excessive Wear Discussion
 
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.

#1 I was a light today, random guy in a F-150 gives me "The Look" so I stab at my gas pedal twice to let him know ( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this). So the light turns green and I bog it, bad. He has an auto no doubt and a lot more low end torque so this dem F-150 is pulling on me quite a bit. Then I reach 5K, hit the power band, chirp in second and blow his doors off.
So the question is, without burning my clutch out or dumping my clutch ( It's a freaking pickup truck at a red light, I'm not gunna dump the dem clutch) is there anyway not to bog it?
Do auto FR-S's pull on manuals with out a revving them out and dumping the clutch?

#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 10-21-2014 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh god

FR-BLESS 10-21-2014 01:19 AM

Well to answer your first question we mu-

Quote:

( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this)
oh.

DeeezNuuuts83 10-21-2014 01:39 AM

Sounds like you should have gotten an automatic Genesis Coupe instead

Wise 10-21-2014 01:49 AM

Better check your manifold. Sounds like it might be in danger.

Also maybe check the screws on your floor panel.

WesleyG 10-21-2014 01:50 AM

rev it to 6000 and then promptly drop the clutch no bogging, slight wheelspin and it shoots you forward in a very mild sense of the term.

WesleyG 10-21-2014 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wise (Post 1991935)
Better check your manifold. Sounds like it might be in danger.

Also maybe check the screws on your floor panel.

yes because manifold danger warning on the PC display causes nuts and bolts to fall from behind the dash and then you lose your floor panel.

then the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried

LXXXV1 10-21-2014 01:53 AM

:popcorn:

Wise 10-21-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyG (Post 1991940)
yes because manifold danger warning on the PC display causes nuts and bolts to fall from behind the dash and then you lose your floor panel.

then the mad scientist will have to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried

You'll blow yourself to pieces!

dizzario 10-21-2014 01:58 AM

....





hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaahahahafuck this shit I give uphahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah*blows own brains out*--

sillierabbit 10-21-2014 02:07 AM

:cheers::popcorn:

OICU812 10-21-2014 02:26 AM

One question...

Is this a SERIOUS question and thread?

If so wow stupidity can flow like water..

Texas BRZ 10-21-2014 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 1991888)
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.

#1 I was a light today, random guy in a F-150 gives me "The Look" so I stab at my gas pedal twice to let him know ( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this). So the light turns green and I bog it, bad. He has an auto no doubt and a lot more low end torque so this dem F-150 is pulling on me quite a bit. Then I reach 5K, hit the power band, chirp in second and blow his doors off.
So the question is, without burning my clutch out or dumping my clutch ( It's a freaking pickup truck at a red light, I'm not gunna dump the dem clutch) is there anyway not to bog it?
Do auto FR-S's pull on manuals with out a revving them out and dumping the clutch?

#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.

I understand that you're worried about wear and tear on your vehicle. And in my opinion, you're punishing and abusing your car by racing other cars on public roads much more than you would compared to taking your need for speed and car to the track... Pay the $150 - $300 that you would on a traffic citation and apply it on a HPDE event. You'll learn much more than driving on public roads will ever teach you... And to safely and properly drive your car fast while taking great care of it at the same time. Why do I mention all this? Because I once had the mindset like you in the past.

We're both in Texas... PM me if you want info on attending a HPDE event with one of the top organizations in our state. Houston MSR is closest to you, and I see myself visiting there for the upcoming future as well.

Tcoat 10-21-2014 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 1991888)
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.


#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.


I chirped in second once and look what happened! These cars are not built for such antics! Once those nuts and bolts come from the dash you are DONE

KrazieChryss 10-21-2014 06:47 AM

:burnrubber: :cheers: :popcorn:

RojerLockless 10-21-2014 09:15 AM

You need NOS bro, that's the only way a 18 year old can do this. It's in the bible. The BRO BIBLE.

Muaddib 10-21-2014 09:23 AM

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltP7bjwkgTs"]Dom VS Brian:First Showdown (Fast And Furious 1) - YouTube[/ame]

carma143 10-21-2014 09:50 AM

Wait. Wait. Wait a minute. What's about this "nuts and bolts falling from behind the dash" cituation? Are you speaking of the shrieking gremlins who set off the lovely fireworks when I bust this baby to 9000rpm?

Tcoat 10-21-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carma143 (Post 1992151)
Wait. Wait. Wait a minute. What's about this "nuts and bolts falling from behind the dash" cituation? Are you speaking of the shrieking gremlins who set off the lovely fireworks when I bust this baby to 9000rpm?

Oh haven't you heard? Forget crickets, the big thing now is that when you go WOT the whole dash flies apart and pulls the floor panel right up!
Just watch for the manifold danger warning on the PC display and you will be ok.

RaveSaint5 10-21-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1992040)
I chirped in second once and look what happened! These cars are not built for such antics! Once those nuts and bolts come from the dash you are DONE

What's chirping?

Tcoat 10-21-2014 11:53 AM

Chirping is the little squeak from the tires you get when you take a (stock) FRS to full revs and pop the clutch.
With almost every other car made this is commonly known as a "burn out"!

myEFispissed 10-21-2014 12:44 PM

Ban.

Tcoat 10-21-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myEFispissed (Post 1992407)
Ban.

Who and for what?????

calmtigers 10-21-2014 12:55 PM

So this is why insurance rates are high for this car..

CAMBAM_6 10-21-2014 01:06 PM

Not gonna lie I was 18 once..I never wasted my gas on a F-150 though. Anyways if you can afford a nice new FRS you can afford to take it to a track and learn how to drive the car how it was meant to be driven, definately not in a straight line. As far as your question about wear and tear the FRS is just like any other car, you abuse it you will come across mechnical issues eventually. For your situation your clutch/tranny will probably be the first to go

Tcoat 10-21-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmtigers (Post 1992429)
So this is why insurance rates are high for this car..

Yep!
Ya buys a car designed to be raced and targeted at the younger demographic that's the price ya pays!

I remember when I was 18 a long, LONG time ago and back tires were one of my major expenses and those were bias ply whitewalls!

All part of the "You gotta pay to play" philosophy I am afraid.

wbradley 10-21-2014 01:19 PM

To the OP-

I suggest you surrender your drivers license to the nearest police department until your testicles drop.

If I was a cop and I saw you racing, I'd throw the book at you.

calmtigers 10-21-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1992478)
Yep!
Ya buys a car designed to be raced and targeted at the younger demographic that's the price ya pays!

I remember when I was 18 a long, LONG time ago and back tires were one of my major expenses and those were bias ply whitewalls!

All part of the "You gotta pay to play" philosophy I am afraid.

http://www.americandreamcars.com/191...gcar031314.jpg

Dang Tcoat think I found your car! :laughabove:

Only kidding of course lol

Tcoat 10-21-2014 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by calmtigers (Post 1992496)

Dang Tcoat think I found your car! :laughabove:

Only kidding of course lol

I did see those ripping around as a kid but wanted to wait until the AWD turbo version came out!
Waited too long and had to settle for one of these (not THAT one just like that with more bondo and primer)

Tcoat 10-21-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbradley (Post 1992480)
To the OP-

I suggest you surrender your drivers license to the nearest police department until your testicles drop.

If I was a cop and I saw you racing, I'd throw the book at you.

And this is exactly why I refuse to take this whole thread seriously!
The last thing I want to do is tell street racers (regardless of age 'cuz there are plenty of older guys just as bad) how to make their car last longer!!!!!!!!!

Phantobe 10-21-2014 02:48 PM

I like the part where you "blew his doors off". Never thought I'd hear that from a stock 86.

:bellyroll:

continuecrushing 10-21-2014 02:55 PM

Well, most interesting story about racing a parked car

continuecrushing 10-21-2014 02:59 PM

also, pretty sure if a cop saw this it would appear as though the frs was simply struggling to keep up with normal traffic

Tcoat 10-21-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantobe (Post 1992635)
I like the part where you "blew his doors off". Never thought I'd hear that from a stock 86.

:bellyroll:

I have seen some pretty rusty F150s that a light breeze could blow their doors off so maybe that is what he meant.

luuser75 10-21-2014 03:51 PM

Omg guys...don't feed the troll!

Phantobe 10-21-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 1992685)
I have seen some pretty rusty F150s that a light breeze could blow their doors off so maybe that is what he meant.

Built Ford tough lol.

These are the threads that make me glad to be apart of this beautiful community.

mav1178 10-21-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 1991888)
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.

#1 I was a light today, random guy in a F-150 gives me "The Look" so I stab at my gas pedal twice to let him know ( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this). So the light turns green and I bog it, bad. He has an auto no doubt and a lot more low end torque so this dem F-150 is pulling on me quite a bit. Then I reach 5K, hit the power band, chirp in second and blow his doors off.
So the question is, without burning my clutch out or dumping my clutch ( It's a freaking pickup truck at a red light, I'm not gunna dump the dem clutch) is there anyway not to bog it?
Do auto FR-S's pull on manuals with out a revving them out and dumping the clutch?

#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.

Wait.... two questions, or five? I'm kind of confused by what you are asking about.

-alex

MmmHamSandwich 10-21-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 1991888)
I have two questions concerning acceleration and the wear it has on my FR-S.

#1 I was a light today, random guy in a F-150 gives me "The Look" so I stab at my gas pedal twice to let him know ( I'm 18, I can do stupid Sh*t like this). So the light turns green and I bog it, bad. He has an auto no doubt and a lot more low end torque so this dem F-150 is pulling on me quite a bit. Then I reach 5K, hit the power band, chirp in second and blow his doors off.
So the question is, without burning my clutch out or dumping my clutch ( It's a freaking pickup truck at a red light, I'm not gunna dump the dem clutch) is there anyway not to bog it?
Do auto FR-S's pull on manuals with out a revving them out and dumping the clutch?

#2 How bad is chirping in second for my car? I know it's just a tire squeak and shifting into 3rd without letting the rpm drop is the same thing. But should I be holding my clutch in untill the rpm and trannys sync and then shift? Or is just jumping gear to gear as fast as I can not TOO bad for it? ( I shift pretty dang fast ) I don't wanna mess my car up, thanks.


OP don't worry about all these replies. It sounds like you're concerned about launch, in addition to concerns about your shifting causing 2nd gear chirping. Both are related to possible improper shifting technique.

I could get in depth here but fortunately there are experts better suited who can summarize much more succinctly than I can. This guy's video highlights a common mistake new drivers make when shifting, as well as discussing the proper technique to use in its place.



[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmlZZRsckM4"]Granny shifting not double clutching like you should - YouTube[/ame]

campy 10-21-2014 05:02 PM

The new 2015 Scion FRS: marginally faster than a truck.

Tcoat 10-21-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantobe (Post 1992848)
Built Ford tough lol.

These are the threads that make me glad to be apart of this beautiful community.

I actually rather enjoy them!
Gives a chance to mess around without interfering with any REAL info!!!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.