![]() |
Just got rear ended... But our car held up
Yesterday after work I was commuting home as usual and I was stopped at a red light waiting. Suddenly BAM!! I heard and felt a push from behind. I was thinking this will completely destroy my bumper... Got out of the car and see the other drivers car like this
http://i.imgur.com/NMR4PT0.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DKktvTe.jpg http://i.imgur.com/sEagYPI.jpg Then I looked that my car http://i.imgur.com/IPtQReo.jpg you can see the front license plate imprint on my diffuser http://i.imgur.com/X8MnnrW.jpg http://i.imgur.com/kwe8AsQ.jpg There are also minor scrapes and paint chips on the intersection of the plastic and the bumper. But overall I think our car did pretty well on minor impacts. I want to have the plastic piece replaced but was debating on the bumper. I was afraid of fitment issue after the removal of the bumper. I heard paint match for whiteout is a nightmare too. Please help :bonk: |
I believe the plastic bit is part of the bumper.
|
Quote:
|
Glad both are ok
|
Same EXACT type of accident happened to me in my old car when I was stopped at a light. My damage was far worse tho so I'm glad to see these cars hold up much better
http://i.imgur.com/VFxhref.png |
Like others have mentioned the diffuser and bumper are all one piece. I think bumpers usually run around 500 for unpainted than its an additional 500 to get it painted. So your looking at a grand right there to replace to the diffuser. What could be a alternative is getting the TRD diffuser seeing as that attaches over the stock one.
Oh and as for the the bumper fitment issue it should be fine. I had my bumper repainted and the alignment is perfect. |
Glad you are ok...
|
Wow that's pretty impressive. Could just pocket the insurance money for mods now and fix later if you're that set on it.
|
Quote:
|
If you're dealing with the other party's insurance, try to get a brand new bumper...insurance companies (even when you're not at fault) will often give you a used bumper from a salvaged car.
However, if you don't mind the used bumper, you won't really need to worry about paint matching, as long as the bumper being supplied isn't a different color. Naturally, white bumpers are already a different tone of white compared to the metal, despite the Stages of paint. A good body shop can probably match the bumper if you don't want a used one. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
With that kind of damage to the other car's front end, it looks to me like your rear bumper took a lot of force, flexed and popped back out. There is likely some unseen damage under that bumper, hidden by the bumper itself. You could have some crushed metal and smashed plastic under there.
You really should take the car to a body shop of your choosing, get them to pull the bumper off to look underneath, and get your own estimate independent of the other driver's insurance carrier. I wouldn't assume at this point that the damage is as light as it looks. And because it looks so light, an adjuster for the other driver's insurance company may try to leave off essential repairs knowing you can't see that they're needed. Let us know how much the repair (done right) actually ends up costing. Some of the numbers being tossed around in this thread sound rather low. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
:iono: EDIT: actually you can probably plasti dip it and make it look like new lol |
Looks like you came out unscathed. I would be rolling on the floor in pain if my bumper had been smashed.
|
Quote:
You could have all this damage and not be able to see it because the plastic just popped back out to its original shape. A rudimentary understanding of physics would suggest that you're not going to have that much damage to the other car and virtually no damage to the FR-S. Equal and opposite reactions and such. Now maybe all you care about is that the car looks okay, but personally, if it were my car, I would want ALL the damage fixed, whether I could see it or not. |
Looks like they picked you right up! Little faster you may have been sitting on their hood.
Also from the looks of their bumper you are not the first (nor likely the last) they have done it too! |
Yeah. Currently I'm waiting for their insurance to contact me to get a full inspection. Let's hope nothing major comes up.
|
Sorry to see your car got scuffed ..... :(
I'd be tempted to hit it with a black Sharpie, followed by some blach shoe polish. Use the insurance money for gas ...... and just drive. Obviously, I'm NOT OCD, don't like to deal with hassels and am a bit lazy .....http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...images/doh.gif humfrz |
I would definitely take extrashaky's advice. It would be terrible to wait until you decide to fix it later on down the road, only to find out there is a significant amount of damage underneath that costs you significant amounts of money.
|
I can tell you from first hand experience. You will get the bumper cover replaced, the bumper replaced, and possibly the trunk floor liner replaced. And be about 1600 dollars worth of damage.
Had the same thing happen to me. Still have the claims sheet and pricing. |
Right hand drive on corolla?:iono:
|
Quote:
Not right hand drive. Picture is flipped.Just check the plate as California is backwards.. |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.