Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mad Mike's Firestorm Build (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72214)

Mad_Mike 08-14-2014 10:57 PM

Mad Mike's Firestorm Build
 
2013 manual, picked it up in February 2013. Daily driving, autoxing, and tracking ever since. Currently at 109,000 miles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...efa9842e_c.jpg

Power:
- TRD air filter
- JDL EL catted header w/ titanium ceramic coating.
- Nameless 2.5" catted & resonated front/over pipe.
- Ecutek license and tune from HRI tuning.

Cooling:
- Jackson Racing Oil Cooler
- Verus Engineering Brake Cooling Kit

Handling:
- RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers
- SPL Rear Lower Control Arms
- Jackson Racing Anti Dive Kit
- RPF1 17x9 +45 (these are now the dailies)
- Apex ARC-8 17x9 +42
- Hankook RS4 245/40/17
- OEM camber bolts

Brakes:
- Carbotech xp10
- Titanium brake shims

Fluids:
- Motul RBF 600
- Motul gear 300
- Motul 300v 0w30

Other:
- 2015+ ignition coils
- Kartboy short shifter
- Raceseng Topology weighted shift knob
- Cusco wide accelerator pedal
- BRZ blue series underbody panels
- Nameless ecu bracket
- Sound tube delete
- Clutch spring removed
- Cosworth air inlet hose.
- Beastronix 86 nanny

Cosmetic:
- 5 Axis spoiler
- Oem mud flaps
- 2015 exhaust tips
- BRZ trunk lid liner
- BRZ ebrake boot

Cope52 08-14-2014 10:59 PM

what car is that reflected in the bumper?

Mad_Mike 08-14-2014 11:01 PM

TRD filter install:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/...286790d7_z.jpg

BRZ trunk lid liner, looks like a complete car now:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5579/...bf580e22_z.jpg

BRZ ebrake boot, so dumb they didn't do this from the factory:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3895/...b8c71fa5_z.jpg

Kartboy install
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3913/...d7d85031ba.jpg

Mad_Mike 08-14-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cope52 (Post 1900504)
what car is that reflected in the bumper?

It's my friends old MR2.

Mad_Mike 08-14-2014 11:21 PM

Nameless 3" axleback w/ 5" mufflers. So purdy.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/...ef7485fc_z.jpg

Nameless 2.5" catted & resonated front/over pipe (top one here).

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/...10d9b55c_z.jpg

Absolutely love the way this combo sounds. I honestly wouldn't do this axleback without this front/over pipe. It's quieter on the highway with it but louder at wot.

Mad_Mike 08-14-2014 11:41 PM

Autox fun

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/...9b73bc0b_z.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3885/...d493bb08_c.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/...c2a114f4_c.jpg

Mad_Mike 08-15-2014 08:29 AM

Tuning:
- These are e-dynos done on the same section of an uphill road in 3rd gear.
- Blue is a stock brz (not mine).
- Green is all mods before tuning.
- Red is after tuning.

Done by HRI tuning.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/...0125363b56.jpg

Mad_Mike 09-16-2014 08:32 PM

Wheels and tires ordered!

RPF1 17x9 +45
RS3 245/40/17

Mad_Mike 09-24-2014 11:32 PM

Wheels and Tires mounted!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/...203257b9_c.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/...cedf07c9_c.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/...c30fcc24_c.jpg

Mad_Mike 10-01-2014 11:24 AM

Had a great weekend with the 2 day autox at Daytona. Came in 2nd out of 14 in STX. I was about 3 seconds faster on Saturdays course (compared to the last time I ran it a few months ago). I'm sure the tune and the tires helped with that.

Kelbyat07 10-01-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 1967452)
Had a great weekend with the 2 day autox at Daytona. Came in 2nd out of 14 in STX. I was about 3 seconds faster on Saturdays course (compared to the last time I ran it a few months ago). I'm sure the tune and the tires helped with that.

What kind of tune do you have

Mad_Mike 10-01-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 (Post 1967454)
What kind of tune do you have

I got a road tune done by HRI tuning in Orlando. They do e-tunes I believe.

Kelbyat07 10-01-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 1967627)
I got a road tune done by HRI tuning in Orlando. They do e-tunes I believe.

Alright cool. I like your spoiler by the way, thinking about getting a black one for my firestorm.

Trefoil 10-01-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cope52 (Post 1900504)
what car is that reflected in the bumper?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 1900513)
It's my friends old MR2.


Or his BRZ. :D The MR2 GenIII Turbo was Supra White.

Mad_Mike 10-01-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 (Post 1967747)
Alright cool. I like your spoiler by the way, thinking about getting a black one for my firestorm.

I love the 5 axis spoiler. A black one on red could be a nice contrast.

Kelbyat07 10-01-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 1968103)
I love the 5 axis spoiler. A black one on red could be a nice contrast.

Yeah I have dark tints so it would complement that as well. Did that come with the car or did you buy it separately? If separately, could you tell me where you got it from?

Mad_Mike 10-01-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 (Post 1968224)
Yeah I have dark tints so it would complement that as well. Did that come with the car or did you buy it separately? If separately, could you tell me where you got it from?

Came with the car. I don't know where a good place to get them would be sorry :/.

Mad_Mike 10-07-2014 10:54 PM

Pics from Daytona Autox:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2946/...5e6657e3_z.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3930/...091c40a2_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2946/...c6f2028b_c.jpg

TWMPerformance 10-08-2014 04:18 PM

Sweet looking setup! All you need is a drop :)

Renato
Team TWM Performance

cmdboy_347 10-10-2014 02:31 AM

Nice...

Mad_Mike 10-10-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWMPerformance (Post 1976873)
Sweet looking setup! All you need is a drop :)

Renato
Team TWM Performance

Thanks, and yes it needs a drop.

I'm getting wear on the outside edge of the tires, but can't run any more negative camber (currently on factory alignment) on stock suspension without hitting the spring perch. :/

TWMPerformance 10-10-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 1979150)
Thanks, and yes it needs a drop.

I'm getting wear on the outside edge of the tires, but can't run any more negative camber (currently on factory alignment) on stock suspension without hitting the spring perch. :/

Really?! I'd check the toe setting and see if that's in spec. Outside edge tire wear sounds like too much toe-out.

Renato
Team TWM Performance

Mad_Mike 11-18-2014 03:23 PM

JDL EL catted header, titanium ceramic coated. Waited 8+ long weeks for this but it looks excellent.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/...40c555cbe9.jpg

Installed:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3951/...83ff586669.jpg

Very close to intake resonators. But not touching (or melting) anything.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/...85d2bbd25d.jpg

I had a problem with a metallic pinging noise over 4k after installing this header which I believe was coming from the old style resonator in the nameless front/over pipe. It is currently being retrofitted with the new style and I will report back if that has solved the issue. I have put back on the stock axleback for now.

After getting the car retuned (sorry no graph), there is no torque dip and the car just pulls from 2.5k+.

weederr33 11-18-2014 04:23 PM

Since you have a the JDL catted header, does that mean you won't get a CEL?

Mad_Mike 11-18-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 2026970)
Since you have a the JDL catted header, does that mean you won't get a CEL?

Correct. I've never seen a check engine light and I've had the header installed for about a month now.

weederr33 11-18-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 2026979)
Correct. I've never seen a check engine light and I've had the header installed for about a month now.

Nice! How do you like it? Any ideas how it compares to the SpeedFactory catted header?

Mad_Mike 11-19-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 2026982)
Nice! How do you like it? Any ideas how it compares to the SpeedFactory catted header?

I don't have dyno comparisons but a friend of mine in town has that one. We have yet to see who is faster in a straight line but they feel pretty comperable. The main difference is the speedfactory one is uel, this one is el. JDL has the option to get a ceramic coating and speed factory doesn't I don't think.

F1fletch 11-23-2014 04:41 PM

I am looking at the Catted EL from JDl as well, it looks very nice. It would be great to see a comparo between the JDL Catted EL and Speedfactory Catted UEL. I believe the UEl may help the tqe dip a bit more but I have read the EL has better top end power.

Did you get a weight on the new header? Curious to see how much lighter it might be...

Mad_Mike 11-24-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1fletch (Post 2032652)
I am looking at the Catted EL from JDl as well, it looks very nice. It would be great to see a comparo between the JDL Catted EL and Speedfactory Catted UEL. I believe the UEl may help the tqe dip a bit more but I have read the EL has better top end power.

Did you get a weight on the new header? Curious to see how much lighter it might be...

Sorry, didn't weigh it, was too anxious to get it installed.

If we ever dyno our cars I'll let you know. They both don't have a torque dip anymore, so either one will work for that (assuming you tune the car). I think theoretically mine should make more top end power, but I haz no proofs.

F1fletch 11-24-2014 11:35 AM

Thanks double M

I just got dynoed for the Grimmspeed intake with OFT tune (stage 1) and made 176. I am hoping to get into the 190's with lightweight pulleys and header, exhaust components etc..
I am really on the fence between UEL and EL. I am sure I want JDL because it just seems they are made the best by far. What I am concerned about is the EL "rasp" sound I have heard on many sound clips. Can you comment on this?

Mad_Mike 11-24-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1fletch (Post 2033325)
Thanks double M

Nice, I liked the look of that intake. Still on the fence about buying it.

From what I've seen most of the raspiness comes from people not having enough muffling. Changing the header really opens up the exhaust, giving you more power...and noise. I would stick with a "quiet" cat back (q300 or 2.5" Perrin resonated) and you shouldn't have a rasp problem.

Here is a video I found useful: [ame]http://youtu.be/qK1hgwwSiGQ[/ame]

Mad_Mike 12-01-2014 07:59 PM

Gainesville AutoX last month.

First autox after header install and retune, it was so nice to not feel the torque dip. The car definitely has enough power for autox. Around the big sweeping turns at higher speeds the car was understeering. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get coilovers so I can run proper camber, reduce the body roll, and get rid of the lifted truck look.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8621/...458eba4f_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8652/...93e0e525_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8620/...bfc52980_c.jpg

Mad_Mike 12-15-2014 10:18 PM

My retro-fitted nameless front/over pipe came back. They replaced the entire pipe after the cat. Install soon. I'm really hoping it solves the problem of my car sounding like a honda.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7578/...52268627_c.jpg


Also, Christmas came early: Tarmac 2s!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8654/...5bd6156f_c.jpg

Mad_Mike 12-19-2014 09:02 AM

Tarmac 2s installed. I reused the stock top hats for all 4. Used camber bolts up front. Went for a 1" drop.

Front:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/...94e7fc5615.jpg

Rear:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8658/...31f51e11e6.jpg

Mad_Mike 12-20-2014 06:06 PM

I will need rear lower control arms as one side is 0.5 degree off from the other. The new nameless resonator design fixes the honda sound for the most part. There is still a faint buzzing sound at high rpms, but it's only audible if you really listen for it.

How it sits after install with 1" drop and alignment.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7500/...c5308ab3_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7514/...50158964_c.jpg

illest86 12-20-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Mike (Post 2063607)
I will need rear lower control arms as one side is 0.5 degree off from the other. The new nameless resonator design fixes the honda sound for the most part. There is still a faint buzzing sound at high rpms, but it's only audible if you really listen for it.

How it sits after install with 1" drop and alignment.

That's looking super clean. Respectable choices!

Mad_Mike 02-27-2015 11:22 AM

I threw a CEL P0351 the other day when the car was going sideways in the rain and redlined. I cleared the code and it hasn't been back since. I ordered a nameless aluminum ecu bracket to see if that helps dissipate heat better and save some weight.

Got rid of my sound tube while I was at it.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/...a70c1346bb.jpg

nzbrooke 03-05-2015 05:43 PM

Very nice car - great choices with the mods. Keep it up !

BRZ RN 03-17-2015 02:01 PM

i just ordered an enkei rpf1 17x9 +45. it looks like this on stock struts right? looks good i read that some had rubbing.

Mad_Mike 03-17-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ RN (Post 2172674)
i just ordered an enkei rpf1 17x9 +45. it looks like this on stock struts right? looks good i read that some had rubbing.

Yep that's on completely stock suspension. No rubbing. But you can't run any more negative camber than factory alignment. This is with 245/40 rs3s. Maybe a bigger tire would rub or if you had more negative camber. Also don't get me wrong...it was tight (1-2mm clearance).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.