Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Fastbrew's BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67968)

Fastbrew 06-14-2014 03:47 AM

Fastbrew's BRZ
 
Yo. I picked up a new, pearl white BRZ LTD. It's the first car I have been really excited about in a long time. I have had WRXs and Jeeps for the most part.

Anyway - I loved the look of the BRZ. I did a little research and started watching videos and was impressed with all of the good press. So, I went out and test drove one. I bought one the same day. Good times.

I love the way the thing handles and performs as is. It's a great car w/o any modifications. That said - I want to have some fun and it is my DD so I decided to start adding things.

My plan is to have a very fun, drivable DD with the ability to do a little autocross and some HPD out at the track.

Here is my stock car soon after picking it up:
http://i.imgur.com/4xb9HsE.png


Car picked up at the end of April, 2014
Mods in order:

April 2014
1) Blue LEDs for the interior lighting and also some white LEDs over the plate.
2) K&N air filter
3) Perrin intake tube + pulling out 3 feet of OEM sound colon tubing (Now replaced by the AVO)
4) GrimmSpeed plate relocator for the front
5) Tinted the windows - 35 all the way around

May 2014
6) This is being removed to go to a 3" Perrin - Nameless upgrade -
Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S 2.5" Street Axleback and High Flow Cat Package (Replaces Overpipe)
(Mufflers: 5" Mufflers, Tip Options: 4" Double Wall Slash Cut, Finish: Brushed Stainless, Helmholtz Resonator? YES, High Flow Catalytic Converter: Yes - 200 Cell High Flow Cat, Exhaust Bushings: Five Bushings)
7) SS Brake lines
8) Grimspeed master cylinder brace
9) Brake fluids
10) Radar Detector and mirror mount/wiring - Passport 9500ix
11) OEMAudio+ Reference 400 audio upgrade (tweeters/door speakers/nice OEM look sub/amp)

June 2014
12) Rays Gramlight 57Xtremes in 17x9 +40 with 57xtreme caps
13) Bridgestone S04 Potenza Pole Positions 255/40/17
14) Odi's Feal 441 coilovers
15) Race Comp swaybars *ALERT CAN ADD NOISE - Pings pops etc. Removed and replaced with Perrin - Racecomps were too stiff
16) Whiteline adjustable end links, bushings *ALERT CAN ADD NOISE - Pings pops etc
17) GTSpec control arms
18) GTSpec adjustable Toe Arms
19) Hotchkis 1 piece strut tower bar
20) REMOVED - Kartboy Oil Fill Cap (very important ;)) - Replaced with AVO type 1 oil can setup
21) Craven Speed Stubby antenna

July 2014
22) Ca-Fi Android Dashlinq4 + BT ODB2 system
23) REMOVED - Kart Boy short throw shifter - ALERT RATTLES - Needs sound damping to control reverse lockout mechanism from rattling
24) Tom's Tails (DOT)
25) REMOVED - Replaced Kartboy STS with a TWM - It rattled like hell as well!!! (Vendor suggested it might be missing an O ring - may revisit)
26) Reinstalled factory shifter
27) Replaced front and back stops on the shifter with the TWM brand. Left those in.
28) REMOVED - Competition Stage 3 segmented ceramic clutch - being replaced with Southbend stage 3 endurance + a stage 2 flywheel.
29) AVO stage 2 turbo (OEM style BOV, Electronic Boost Control solenoid, upgraded MAF sensor)
30) AVO catch can
31) Cusco drift button
32) Cusco transmission mount collar
33) AVO 2.5 front/mid pipe (from Paul at AVO - loan to buy)
33) Perrin 3" exhaust

October 2014
34) Raceseng Ashiko shift knob and reverse lockout

December 2014
35) Installed some Hawk HPS pads for some extra cold weather grip

April 2015
36) One piece carbon fiber driveshaft from the DriveShaft shop (Installed by PRE Racing in PDX)

http://i.imgur.com/CdPltvx.png
http://i.imgur.com/MMgA1YP.jpg

June 2015
37) Hankook RS3s
38) Perrin adjustable swaybars (replaced much too stiff Racecomps)
39) Perrin lightweight pulley set
40) Gates serpentine belt
41) HKS Spark Plugs - M50HLs
42) HKS Hybrid Oil Filter M20

August 2015
43) VIS SS Style CF Trunk
44) FIC 880cc Injectors
45) FlexFuel Kit / Sensor
46) FlexFuel Tune at The Drift Office

October 2015
47) Perrin POSITIVE STEERING RESPONSE SYSTEM with .5 caster offset
48) Perrin Front Control Arm Brace
49) Perrin Steering Rack Lockdown
50) Raceseng Tug View - Rear Tow Hook + GoPro Mount
51) Velox "tame" Diffuser
52) Velox extra diff protection covers
53) JDM underpanel set
53) Mtech shifter springs
54) JDM sti transmission mount

READY TO INSTALL (On order)

Items on my research/adding soon list:
Front brakes

CANCELLED - vendor failed to fulfill order - Flossy Knob

CURRENT DYNO on E-85 (Low boost and high boost maps)
http://i.imgur.com/KFccnL2.jpg

yatesy27 06-14-2014 06:50 AM

Welcome mate. Nice BRZ you have there.

What colour 57xtreme's have you got? Will be interested in seeing them installed!

Fastbrew 06-14-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yatesy27 (Post 1795911)
Welcome mate. Nice BRZ you have there.

What colour 57xtreme's have you got? Will be interested in seeing them installed!

Thanks for the welcome.

I went with graphite and should have pics Tue/Wed.

I had to spend hours picking wheels. I was literally exhausted after browsing the forums and internet for days trying to come up with a combo and pull the trigger. Glad that part is almost done!

Fastbrew 06-14-2014 02:21 PM

Note when doing the wheels/tires -
TPMS system!

I am choosing to keep my TPMS and this is a consideration when doing a swap. Make sure to do a little forum searching/googling etc. I am going to pull the existing TPMS modules and stems and put them on the new wheel/tire setup prior to balancing etc. Just a little "gotcha" to look out for.

yatesy27 06-14-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastbrew (Post 1796083)
Thanks for the welcome.

I went with graphite and should have pics Tue/Wed.

I had to spend hours picking wheels. I was literally exhausted after browsing the forums and internet for days trying to come up with a combo and pull the trigger. Glad that part is almost done!

Nice! I was looking at the graphite 57xtremes too! Will be keen to see the pics.

Although tiring, research is a must. Haha.

Cheers
Chris.

Fastbrew 06-14-2014 11:54 PM

Speaking of tiring...

My plan today was to install the Ca-fi Dashlinq4 and the OemAudio+ Reference system.

I pulled the factory head unit out and noticed right away that I had some issues:

1)Square and rectangular connectors on the factory - a mix on the Ca-fi.
2)There is a GPS antenna with the Ca-fi - but - I believe all I need to do is get the BRZ GPS antenna plugged in and I won't need it.
3) I want to retain my USB location etc

So - I changed plans and installed the OEMAudio Reference system on it's own and plugged it into the factory head.

I wanted to do the OEM install myself so I could learn how to take apart a BRZ interior.
I ended up learning about the head unit, the doors/panels, the side panels, the seats, the foam, the location of the factory amp, grounds in back, the firewall grommet, etc.

They say it takes a couple of hours - not me. It took pretty much all day but it is done right.

It sounds really nice too. The upgraded tweeters, door cones and the little 8inch sub in the back make it sound really nice. No rattles - no distortion. I am pleased with the install.

Now - I have to figure out the ca-fi. I know we have at least one expert posting here so I will have to do a little research. The hard part is out of the way at least - I think!

Also- It was interesting pulling back the curtain on the BRZ. It is not an overly expensive sports car. I think it looks more expensive and even feels that way when driving. Once you start pulling back the panels and taking out the seats though - you get a different view at how they were able to save some dough.

For instance, behind the door panel there is just some cheap plastic stuck to a bead of black sealant that looks like it was applied by a saki drinking team. There are big, rough foam chunks glued sloppily in places. The bottom of the seats look like they were made from Sofa Eating Trollwallop. I was glad to get it all back together and let the illusion return...

Fastbrew 06-18-2014 02:20 AM

I find it really difficult to be patient.

I have time scheduled at my shop for Friday and it is taking forever.
Wheels, tires, coilovers, control arms, sway bars, adjustable links, adjustable toe, front tower brace, some magnetic caps, fluid swap, balance, alignment.

I should also be receiving a couple of adapters for the ca-fi system in the next couple of days so I can probably finish that off on Thursday night.

If everything goes well - I will have my suspension all done and I can move onto deciding between AVO, Ptuning, or Kraftwerk.

Fastbrew 06-23-2014 12:33 AM

Ok.
The Rays 57Xtremes (17x9 40mm) are on along with the Feal 441s.
Additionally, GTSpec lower control arms, toe links, Hotchkis tower brace, Whiteline sway bars.

The tires are the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole postions 255/40/17

The total lowered height was just less than an inch.

I will post some other shots in a bit but this one was from today at the Red Door drive in in Portland, OR.

My kid looks huge lol

http://i.imgur.com/n3q5Oku.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mDPhuWo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ykWvtoM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rA4fx1y.jpg

Chen 06-23-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastbrew (Post 1810565)
Ok.
The Rays 57Xtremes (17x9 40mm) are on along with the Feal 441s.
Additionally, GTSpec lower control arms, toe links, Hotchkis tower brace, Whiteline sway bars.

The tires are the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole postions 255/40/17

The total lowered height was just less than an inch.

I will post some other shots in a bit but this one was from today at the Red Door drive in in Portland, OR.

My kid looks huge lol

http://i.imgur.com/n3q5Oku.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mDPhuWo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ykWvtoM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rA4fx1y.jpg

My buddy was there as well. He has a black frs with quad exhaust. Come to the nw subforum and say hey to the locals. Plus I'd like to see your wheels in person.

ModBargains 06-23-2014 12:25 PM

Sweet photography and even better car! Great job. Let us know if you need any help!

Fastbrew 06-24-2014 10:23 PM

Some phone cam pics.

http://i.imgur.com/VDtVmWQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KOATYRX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xb1ywie.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3au8HqG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ydSk42o.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/svH1GFc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0gGxpDI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/b1FEwRu.jpg

Fastbrew 07-02-2014 04:02 AM

I added a Kart Boy short throw kit. I am used to a short throw in my old WRX. I was a little worried since the BRZ is already pretty short as it stands. I like the way it feels now. Nice tactile clicks, it just made it feel more precise for me.

Rating: Thumbs up on the Kart Boy *Ran into some noise issues - they are sending out a more recent bushing design. The thing clatters like a ball bearing in a tin can above 4K RPMs. Will post back later with the fix.

The Ca-Fi unit is now settling in. I have it connected to the internet via a hotspot on my phone. "Car home" is not crashing now since Will at Ca-Fi helped distribute a patch to the OS. Torque is running bluetooth to the ODB2 port - OEMAudio+ is sounding good. I am running Co-Pilot Premium for maps mostly - works well. Miss the HD radio a little.

Rating: Thumbs up in the Audio/electronics realm

Suspension:

Lesson learned: Suspension is a world onto it's own. It takes a bit of time to learn and I think it is one of those areas where you can constantly make adjustments. It is very subjective. There is a ton of science to it and there is also a sense of style. Form and function.

Anyway - here is a thread related to my initial experiences with my setup:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69132

Suffice it to say - I am still dialing it in. It feels great but needs some work.

Overall satisfaction at the moment: Big Thumb

Next steps - Dialing in the choice on turbo and making the leap into FI.
I have built the car from the bottom up for this next phase and am looking forward to getting the extra hp/tune.

Fastbrew 07-02-2014 06:54 PM

Today was a Murphy's Law day.

The dealership replaced my HPFP and the cricket is dead (for the moment) however, due to the installation of a Kartboy sts - the inside of the car sounds like a ball bearing in a blender!

Starts at 4.5K RPM - at 7K it sounds like it is going to fall apart!

Contacted Kartboy on a hunch that this might have been addressed. They responded within 5 minutes offering to send me a newer, slightly different bushing.

Hopefully everything will be back to "quiet" in the BRZ soon!

Fastbrew 07-03-2014 04:14 AM

Cricket Free! (For the moment)
The dealer replaced the high-pressure fuel pump and the cricket is dead.

They swear it will stay gone. We will see.

For the moment, it is nice and quiet under the hood.

Fastbrew 07-03-2014 07:46 PM

Placed order for Tom's tails and a Cusco drift button.
Also - I am getting ready to book into the Drift Office with Dr. Bob for an AVO stage 1.x

This will happen around August once we get everything on order and ready to go.

I am going to drop the car off on a Saturday and I won't see it again for a week. This will be difficult :) - But - well worth the wait. Bob has been very good at providing info. He is well respected and I can't wait to meet him.

Fastbrew 07-07-2014 02:30 AM

Night shots with the Ray's/Feals on...
http://i.imgur.com/odJX0MI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OPeQtsT.jpg

Fastbrew 07-07-2014 11:54 PM

Milestone:

Committed to FI by ordering:
AVO Stage 2 Turbo Kit
Comp Stage 3 Segmented Ceramic Clutch
Electronic Boost Control Solenoid

Installation and tune by The Drift Office in Auburn, WA.
I will be making a trip up in the next few weeks to drop my BRZ off in the trustworthy and competent hands of Bob.

Now, something I am not good at with this car --- waiting...

Fastbrew 07-08-2014 08:31 PM

Quick note on my Kartboy STS: It had a horrible rattle. KB sent out a replacement bushing and some o rings. Rattle has not totally gone away although the new bushing felt much smoother and tactile. The rattle has moved up the RPM range to about 5K+. This is the sweet spot! And - it sounds like a bucket of bolts.

I found a thread on here about Kartboy rattle killing. Looks like I might be using a little duct tape this eve. I am also installing the Toms tonight.

Good times.

Fastbrew 07-26-2014 01:25 AM

So - the Kartboy saga. It rattled really loud after every fix attempt known to mankind.
I had it taken out and tried a TWM - it rattled. doh. They have said they want to check if they missed an important O ring which happens sometimes. The shop still has the shifter but I had them take it out. I may try again two weeks from now but I wanted it nice and quiet on the inside because -

The time is here! Tomorrow I drive up to the Drift Office and drop my car off with Bob for a week to get the AVO and comp stage 3 clutch installed. I am looking for 10psi and a tune for good old Chevron 92 octane to start.

I will update as Bob provides photos and dyno results during the week. The guy is dialed in. So excited. I have about a 3 hour drive starting at 7:00AM. It is going to be hard to sleep.

Fastbrew 07-28-2014 11:29 PM

Why hello torn apart BRZ!
http://i.imgur.com/AuK2HQ7.jpg

This is part of my weight reduction strategy
http://i.imgur.com/JEXon7o.jpg

And - my baseline dyno
http://i.imgur.com/wYnYcdO.jpg

Fastbrew 07-29-2014 02:28 AM

I am going to have Bob add an AVO catch can. I like the location - and it deletes the resonator on the intake.

http://i.imgur.com/bJOw9tL.jpg

Fastbrew 07-30-2014 03:08 AM

A few pics from day 2

http://i.imgur.com/iUmuetx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3ayItzS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kpolVqC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H1xvQK0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4B7RrVf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OoaSYEf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UOd2yjw.jpg

Fastbrew 07-30-2014 04:37 AM

I ordered some JPM Coachworks alcantara stuff. I really like the look and my knee will get a break on long road trips too...

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/med...-stitch-04.jpg

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/med...tch-01-alt.jpg

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/med...tch-01-alt.jpg

1-Piece - no logo dash panel (Goodbye distracting silver plastic - thanks to an FT86 club member - DSOmegaX for taking a decent pic - couldn't find one on JPMs site)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...chmentid=37405

Fastbrew 07-31-2014 09:44 PM

Picking the car up tomorrow afternoon. We ran into a hitch - the Nameless axelback and high flow cat that are installed are the bottleneck on the system.

It is supposed to be a 2.5" exhaust. This is not true. It is a 2.5 CATTED to a 2.25 exhaust.

Result - -about 30HP not letting me boost to 10PSI - had to settle for around 8PSI for the moment.

So - I am going to get the car back and enjoy some extra HP - however - I will be removing the entire Nameless downpipe/exhaust and moving to a 3" AVO or Perrin setup. Then, I will take it back for tweaking.

Bummer - I figured the Nameless 2.5 setup would let me reach a little higher.

Eighty-Sixed 07-31-2014 10:16 PM

Which catch can are you using? I will be installing the kit soon, but I have a avo catch can that mounts to the strut bar. Do you have more pics of the catch can? Thanks.

Fastbrew 07-31-2014 10:21 PM

AVO - It looks like this - I will see if Bob can snap a pic of the one he put in mine...
http://i.imgur.com/bJOw9tL.jpg

Fastbrew 07-31-2014 10:31 PM

Damn he is fast! How's that for service :)

AVO catch can installed in my car.

http://i.imgur.com/9kPC7Av.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/g8udnIQ.jpg

Fastbrew 07-31-2014 10:49 PM

A couple notes on that catch can - if I was tracking heavy - I would go for the Crawford or something easy to drain. This one does not fall into that category. I can't see it catching that much in my car but who knows. I am anticipating having to empty a bit it at each regular oil change. I will take a peek after any heavy tracking days/oil changes too.

My overall plan is to run this as a solid, boosted DD with some autocross play and some track days. Then - when I get the urge and I see what comes out in the next year or two - I am going to drop in a new engine and build for some high HP.

Fastbrew 08-01-2014 03:26 AM

http://i.imgur.com/IchwqBm.jpg
Cusco transmission mount collar shot during install

Fastbrew 08-12-2014 12:01 AM

Quick update - more soon...

Drift Office was awesome - AVO installed and Comp Clutch segmented ceramic ready to go.
Bob was able to squeeze 273whp and a nice solid 200pf of tourqe through the little exhaust system on 92 Chevron on a 92 degree day.

However - I want 300 so we have to do some tweaks. Car is having the 2.5 (2.25 with the crimp bend) removed and replaced with a 3" Perrin exhaust plus and AVO front/mid tomorrow. This will move enough air that Bob can hit the 300 mark. Also, the Namleless font pipe wasn't playing nice with the AVO setup - tolerances were a bit tight so I am swapping that part out too.

So - more in a bit. Just need to do the swap and get back up there for a final tune.

The car is soooooo much more fun to drive even where it is now. Night and day difference in terms of acceleration. I am pleased with my suspension and tire choice - everything is coming together.

Fastbrew 08-12-2014 09:55 PM

Pow - in with the AVO front/mid pipe and Perrin 3" out with the Nameless front pipe thunking under the passenger foot-well. All is well with the car for the moment.

The new catless setup sounds really nice. The Perrin is resonated which helps keep the noise down. Very happy with the result. Not loud at all at idle. Gets a nice purr/growl as you work through the RPMs - settles into a nice no drone tone at highway speeds.

JPM coachworks stuff should be arriving soon. That should be my next update.

http://i.imgur.com/NB01Qgp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FkPsAlc.jpg

Fastbrew 08-16-2014 10:05 PM

A couple of shots of Bob's work
http://i.imgur.com/b3enIiW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4lys4E6.jpg

And a few of the overall car as it stands today:
http://i.imgur.com/QMkkDU9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FcFj8Fi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/URQ06NS.jpg

Fastbrew 08-18-2014 05:11 PM

From JPM Coachworks: Your order has shipped!

Yes - I am looking forward to these pieces.

Turbowned 08-18-2014 07:10 PM

Car's looking great! Nice mods so far

Fastbrew 08-29-2014 04:41 PM

Update:

I have still not been able to shake the clutch issues and get back up to the Drift Office to finalize my tune.

This has taken WAY longer than anticipated.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though. I hope :)

I decided to just eat the price of the original Competition Stage 3 Ceramic.

To recap: First clutch was installed by The Drift Office just prior to the AVO turbo. The clutch was really, really noisy. Bob had an extra one in a box. I spoke with both his mechanics and they said they thought it was overly loud. So - we pulled the clutch and replaced it with the new one. It was and is quieter. We all thought "end of story".

Over the following couple of weeks - the car developed a horrible, engine rocking shudder at low RPMs - especially on hills from a standstill. The shake was so great that the overpipe banged against the frame and triggered knock protection.

I pulled the Nameless 2.5 and installed Perrin 3" + AVO front/mid. Catless. The knocking went away but the shuddering did not.

To make matters worse, the clutch is now getting "stuck" part way up sometimes. I had analysis done by Ryan at VIP in PDX. He is conjecturing that this may be a sign of bolts on the clutch coming untorqued. I am not sure if loctite was used but it will be soon!

Here is my plan:
1) I ordered a Southbend Stage 3 clutch with a Stage 2 flywheel. Why? The stage 2 flywheel is a little heavier and should result in better daily driver behavior with the benefit of the stage 3 clutch plate. I really researched clutches. Everything from ACT, Exedy, Clutchmaster, OS Giken, etc. I chose to go with SB due to their reputation and the fact that they are here in the US. They way they whipped up this Stage3/2 combo for me at $850 and shipped immediately is a great sign. High hopes here that I get the perfect DD/Street/AX type clutch. It is rated at 450 ft lbs torque so this will handle everything I am going to throw at it for now.

2) I am going to have VIP pull the CC and install the SB following proper installation techniques to the T including red loctite, no dinging/hanging of the clutch plate etc. I am talking HANDLE WITH CARE to the exstream. I am going to add some stainless clutch cable and that is that. Hopefully I won't have to think about clutch issues for a loooong time.

3) I am going to have Ryan also fix the suspension setup that was done by PRE in PDX. I had him throw a camber gauge up and there were major differences. Close to .5 degree on the fronts. Lame. We are going to take the back wheels down to about -2 from -2.5 and move the fronts from about -1.5 to -2 or maybe -2.5. Adjust the toe/camber/castor etc. We are also going to pull out the racecomp rear swaybar that PRE sold me and put the stock one back in. The racecomp is too much bar for my taste and makes the back fight the coilovers. Then - we are going to redo the alignment.

4) After all of this - I will take the car up to the Drift Office to finalize the tune on the new 3" exhaust and then I am going to take a break. Hopefully being able to enjoy the car to its full extent for the first time in awhile.

Oh - I did get the JDM coachworks stuff in. It is really nice. I have installed the one piece dash part and it is really sweet. Except - I have a cafi aftermarket android head and of course - this exposes a section of the piece that isn't covered in Alcantara. JDM says - it was designed for the stock head unit. So - I am going to see if I can alter the CAFI so that it sticks out a little more to cover the bald spot.

Once again - change anything on this car and it can lead to a series of issues!

Fastbrew 09-12-2014 11:46 PM

Today, I made a trip back up to the Drift Office.

Bob tweaked my tune. He actually dropped boost and gained a bit of HP due to the AVO 2.5 OP/MID - the catless setup and the 3" Perrin.

As expected - the Competition clutch DID have some issues.
First, when we put the car on the dyno - the torque was flatlining around 200ft/lbs while the rpms continued to rise. The guess? - Clutch slippage.

This clutch had only 1500 miles on it. It was toast. It turned out that there were a couple of problems:

1) A piece of foreign material looked to have had a few trips around the housing. I am sure this is what was causing the clutch pedal to get "Stuck" about 1/2 up a few times a few weeks back. It suddenly disappeared - I am sure when whatever was bumping around in there disintegrated. The guess is a rock. Apparently there is one hole in the housing that in a really weird set of circumstances can allow foreign material inside.

Anyway - it left it's mark all over. A couple of the metal posts had marks. There were additional scratch marks on the flywheel. Both clutch surfaces also had hot spots and pock marks. The material on the clutch pads was glazed like glass and there was a huge amount of powdered pad in the bottom. I don't know exactly what happened but it wasn't good.

We replaced it with a Soutbend Combo Stage 3 plate (Carbon\Kevlar rated at 450 ft lbs torque) and their Stage 2 flywheel. This is a heavy clutch in terms of weight. 35 pounds plus for the entire assembly. However - I did this on purpose after speaking with Southbend. I wanted the extra weight in the flywheel. I did not like the way the Competition clutch behaved at all in daily driving conditions. I am sure the flaws didn't help.

The clutch would cause the car to shake violently during release at low RPMs. And - it was unpredictable. Most likely due to the uneven and heavy wear on the pads.

Anyway - the new clutch is like butter so far. I have to put 500+ miles on it in "granny" mode. The drive back to PDX from Seattle had stop and go traffic for 30 miles or so which was great and helped me start breaking it in properly. I didn't take the car above 4K the entire trip. This is going to be hard keeping the car out of boost! I am typically a driver who likes to shift near redline. I am sure that didn't help that CC clutch plate much. But - it is what it is - I like to drive my sports cars like sports cars and the penalty will be in the plates.

I could go with a different surface but I do not want to transfer all of the stress to the tranny. I looked at an OS Giken which I loved but decided against.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out. I took a bit of a gamble since this is not on of the more popular/chosen clutches for this platform but so far - I am impressed with the clutch and their customer service.

I also had the chance to swap my fluids. So - I put in ENEOS 0w20 motor oil and Pentosin MTF2 tranny fluid. I also put in a Chasebay stainless steel/teflon clutch cable.

I noticed a huge difference in the tranny fluid. The shifting action feels really nice and tactile now. I will know more as it spreads around and I can run it at higher revs after the clutch is broken in.

The ENEOS feels good. Oil is a tough call. I like to rely on the info of people who I consider knowledgeable. I had the opportunity to hang out with Paul from AVO TurboWorld and he turned me onto Joe Gibbs oil. Paul informed me that he runs the stuff and ran tests on it. He says it has a high zinc content and it has never let him down. Even though he typically changes every 3K - the Joe Gibbs oil will keep its properties out to 7K etc. (He didn't recommend that - he just mentioned it since they tested it out to that distance) Anyway - I thought I would pass that along. It is certainly not cheap.

On the topic of oil - we took a peek in the difficult to remove AVO catch can that I have installed (It's the one that mounts where the sound resonator used to be). Over the last 2000 miles it had collected about 1/2 thimble full. It was actually pretty clean (good sign). It really smelled like gas after spending so much time in the blow by. I shouldn't have to empty this thing EVER when driving hard on the street. It's huge. After tracking I will check to see how much it collects.

Next steps?

Break this clutch in.
Tweak my suspension setup - back to a factory or even shorter rear sway. Adjust camber etc. Corner balance.

Enjoy the car and get it out to the track.

Fastbrew 09-18-2014 01:47 AM

Quick bump to say:

1) Still in break in period - only 350 miles in so far
2) Clutch feels awesome
3) Haven't been over 4K RPMs
4) Gas mileage has gone from avg 18 to 28 MPG lol
5) Bored as hell driving the BRZ like a granny

Fastbrew 10-11-2014 09:35 PM

Alright!

I diligently kept from boosting until I had 750 city driving miles on the clutch. Then, I couldn't resist so I started to creep into the 5K range. I added a road trip to that and I ended up at 1K miles of breaking in my Southbend Stage 3 endurance clutch.

I can't say enough about how much I love this new clutch. I never want to see a CC Ceramic clutch ever again. This is pure joy to drive.

There is a funny story here - Once I finished the break-in - I was like YEEHAH! Let's hammer this sucker! So - I hit the gas hard on the highway - POW - it felt like my engine turned off for a second. This continued. All gears from 4 up - hit the gas hard - engine would cut.

So - today I headed up to The Drift Office to do two things:
1) Figure out WTF was up (Bob was guessing a boost limiter and a leak)
2) Get the tune finished off now that the clutch was broken in and could actually hold the torque.

Issue number one turned out to be the solenoid boost control tube had blown off the controller. Arg. Second hose issue I have had. Very unlucky with the hoses so far.

Bob worked on my car most of the day. They ran tweak after tweak to get me two maps low boost/high boost. I am running 92 octane and we ended up with about 285WHP and about 250 ft/lbs torque. I will post dynos later when I get them in e-mail.

The drive home to PDX from Seattle was awesome. Finally - the car feels like what I have wanted since I got it a few months back.

Next week - the gang at PRE in Portland are going to work on my suspension to get that dialed in. There is too much camber on the back wheels and not enough on the front. Also, they made the rear too stiff and we are going to tweak that. Rotate the tires and do a corner balance and then I believe I am done for awhile.

Next spring, I will look into some stuff to give me some downforce - perhaps an extra trunk with a wing, a diffuser and a front lip. Also, a trip up to the Drift Office to add a race gas / 92 mix map.

For now - everything is just awesome :)

Fastbrew 10-24-2014 02:04 PM

Ordered a Raceseng Orange Ashiko and a black lockout ring.

http://www.raceseng.com/media/catalo...n-car-86_1.jpg

FYI - I think it is funny that Raceseng says that these knobs make "side-arm shifting effortless".

What the hell is side arm shifting anyway? I googled it thinking there was something I was missing and the only result is from Raceseng lol

Whatever - 1.6 pounds of shift knob will feel different!

aaguilar3 10-24-2014 04:04 PM

NICE BUILD! :w00t:
I believe side-arm shifting is when you hold the shifter like it's a beer bottle/soda can. You must use palm shifting which is just resting your palm on top of the knob with your fingers hanging and gripping. @Fastbrew

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastbrew (Post 1996907)
Ordered a Raceseng Orange Ashiko and a black lockout ring.

http://www.raceseng.com/media/catalo...n-car-86_1.jpg

FYI - I think it is funny that Raceseng says that these knobs make "side-arm shifting effortless".

What the hell is side arm shifting anyway? I googled it thinking there was something I was missing and the only result is from Raceseng lol

Whatever - 1.6 pounds of shift knob will feel different!



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.