Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First service (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67635)

dalli 06-08-2014 11:18 PM

First service
 
Hey guys,

I have had my car for 8 months(4600 miles), I believe my first service has approached. I have a question.

Is the first service free? I got my car from Colorado and im in NYC. (Yes I have the BRZ)

Thanks,

- Dalli

jason.h 06-08-2014 11:23 PM

Call and ask, I believe for the subarus its a per dealer type of thing, could be wrong about that. I got first 2 services free at ramsey subaru in NJ.

Raven 6 06-12-2014 07:09 AM

Here in Virginia your on your own. Got my BRZ at Shelor motor Mile in C'burg Va.

YMAA 06-12-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.h (Post 1785922)
Call and ask, I believe for the subarus its a per dealer type of thing, could be wrong about that. I got first 2 services free at ramsey subaru in NJ.

I bought my BRZ at Ramsey Subaru too (I live in NY). Who'd you buy from, Clayton?

My first service (oil change and I had them do the tranny fluid as well at ~1500 miles) at a local dealer was not complementary but even if it was I don't think I'd return there. My second oil change I had done at a local shop I've gone to for years and they filled it with Mobil One. My gas mileage promptly went up by about 2MPG, so I have no idea what brand/weight oil the dealer put in.

I will be returning to the local dealer for other service and warranty issues however, because they're the best service department in the area unfortunately.

jason.h 06-12-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMAA (Post 1792315)
I bought my BRZ at Ramsey Subaru too (I live in NY). Who'd you buy from, Clayton?

My first service (oil change and I had them do the tranny fluid as well at ~1500 miles) at a local dealer was not complementary but even if it was I don't think I'd return there. My second oil change I had done at a local shop I've gone to for years and they filled it with Mobil One. My gas mileage promptly went up by about 2MPG, so I have no idea what brand/weight oil the dealer put in.

I will be returning to the local dealer for other service and warranty issues however, because they're the best service department in the area unfortunately.

Yep from Clayton. I only went because it was free, but other wise I would do all the maintenance myself, despite how good/bad the service department is. No idea what oil they used either.
I went at 3500 miles and used my "free 7500 mile oil change"

extrashaky 06-12-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchy (Post 1792546)
if you bought the car from Colorado, then no a NYC dealer will not offer you a free oil change.

That's not true, at least for the BRZ. I bought mine in Louisiana and had my first oil change done in Alabama because I was on a trip when the time came. If you got the nationwide service contract as part of your purchase, you can take it into any dealership.

extrashaky 06-12-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchy (Post 1793346)
how much did you pay for that?

It was included in the price of the vehicle. I thought that was a standard Subaru thing.

GotBRZ1691 06-12-2014 06:41 PM

I've had my car for less than 8 weeks and I already past 4600.... Dayum.

I paid around a grand for Subaru's factory maintenance program.

extrashaky 06-12-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchy (Post 1793405)
nope and i was up front and told my dealer to not waste my time with up selling, i wasn't interested.

I don't think you understand. There was no upselling. There was no charge for that listed on my buyer's order. In fact, it didn't come up at all until I actually showed up to pick up the car, and the salesman said, "Oh, by the way, your first four oil changes are free."

I was on a trip when the first oil change came due and had 1500 more miles of driving before I would be back in Louisiana, so I emailed my salesman and asked him if that "free" service had to be done where I bought it. He said that I could take it to any Subaru dealer. When I took it to the dealer in Alabama and said that I was supposed to get a "free" oil change, he said, "I'll look you up to see if you have service." And according to his computer, I did.

Maybe that's just a perk my dealership throws in for their customers. I look at it as being included in the price of the car, as it was never an option on the table.

GotBRZ1691 06-12-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchy (Post 1793517)
curious as i got a similar plan on my wife focus and felt like we got a good deal but it still wasn't really worth what we paid for it.

what do you get and for how long/how many miles?



all factory maintenance to be performed by dealership for 45,000 miles (bumped up from 36k cuz to sweeten the deal :thumbup:) or three years

cost me 1,200 and change. closer to 12 than 13 though.

GotBRZ1691 06-12-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchy (Post 1793628)
well that's cool, that was certainly not offered to me or even brought up by any of the 3 subaru dealers i spoke to locally, not that i care, rather do the work myself.



so 6 oil changes (60-100$ a pop), 3 cabin air filter changes (20$ plus labor so say another 20-50$), 3 intake filter changes (again 20$ plus lets say 20-50$ labor), so on the high side that'll come out to 1020$, which you likely rolled into your monthly payment (unless you paid cash for the car) and thus you are paying interest on that.

Now, if you can get your oil changed every 5000k miles you bump that up to 1320$ and you'll about break even. If i were you, i'd push to get your oil changed every 5k to get your monies worth :)



Tire rotations as well and a few other things. it is def worth it. I did the math somewhere. Cali is expensive living.

extrashaky 06-12-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 (Post 1793638)
Tire rotations as well and a few other things.

Yeah, I forgot that. My "free" service includes tire rotations.

They'll also detail the car for me if I have time to wait. The last time I was there the detail guy was out to lunch and I couldn't wait, so they told me to bring it back by any time and they would wash it.

dalli 06-13-2014 01:23 AM

So i will be doing this by myself the streets of brooklyn. I bought 2x10x12 (2 of these) and cut them to make a ramp for my car so i can change out the oil.

Question, I been googling what oil brand to use and I came upon many brands. Everyone shits on every single brand and I have no idea which one to go with. Question!!!!!: Which brand is good and the cheapest.

Im looking at Mobil 1 0w 20 for 25 for 5 quarts(priced at walmart but no walmart here... Ill try to find it locally ) and Royal purple 0w 20 for 38 bucks for 6 quarts.

Or is there any other brand YOU have experience with in your boxer engine?

GotBRZ1691 06-13-2014 08:57 AM

I would always use the Subaru Brand or Mobil 1 in my 07 wrx. Did all my own oil changes but my neighbor had a 4-point car lift in his garage so it was easy.

Keep Your Receipts!! And mark the mileage at which you did the change down on them.

Royal purple is too damn expensive, and its purple? why?

cjd 06-13-2014 09:05 AM

Get the oil filter from Subaru for sure.

The oil you can get there is also good - I have no idea on the price, however. I've seen people happy with M1 and RP here, though I guess other Subaru engines haven't done so well on M1.

I believe you may need ~5.5L so a 5qt won't quite cut it (though should get you into the safe range...)

There are threads with oil analysis posted here at all sorts of intervals, both for the stuff the dealer sells and others - if you feel like inundating yourself with more data. :) Interesting-ish read if it's something you care that much about.

dalli 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

hows toyota oem 0w 20 oil? i got quote for 5 bucks a qt


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.