Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So who came from a 240sx background? Post em up! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66372)

vividracing 05-21-2014 08:28 PM

So who came from a 240sx background? Post em up!
 
Just curious to see how many of us came from a 240sx background. I think quite a few of us.

Here's me around 2006 with my Silvia conversion.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...339_9235_n.jpg

Let's see yours.

NickDC88 05-21-2014 09:14 PM

1993 SE coupe. Good ol cell phone pics. Miss this car everyday.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...22/flats11.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Feb07_005.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Feb09_003.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/P1010026.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/DSC02868.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...19081315-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0328091756.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/P1010027.jpg

srtblake 05-21-2014 10:22 PM

had a 91 with frame rails rusted to shit! bone stock with a fart can when I was 16. No pics, but that's what started It all for me

funwheeldrive 05-22-2014 03:24 AM

I always wanted an s13, they seemed like really fun cars. I just couldn't find a stock one in my price range.

vividracing 05-22-2014 03:56 AM

Lots of love.

I'd like to get another one again. Still deciding to use it as a daily or for track.


BRZZZZZZZZZZ 05-22-2014 09:59 AM

I had a 1992 180SX when I was younger (17-20 years old). I dearly miss that car, I imported it when it was unmodified save for an exhaust, 1 owner Japan car with original paint and mechanicals. It was in really really good shape for a 17 year old car and I spent a lot of time and money on modifying it tastefully (2 piece 16X7 16X8 SSR Wantanabes, GT2871R+manifold, full exhaust, HKS intake, Z32 MAF, Power FC, 650cc injectors, APEXI Clutch) and then some assholes smashed into 3 times in a year, and I ended up parting it out and selling it as a running drift car.

mx5 2nr 05-22-2014 10:00 AM

I never had one, but always wanted one....

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 05-22-2014 10:21 AM

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho..._2668343_n.jpg

Ben_G 05-22-2014 10:38 AM

Don't have pics anymore, but had a 1997 S14 Kouki in purple. I only had it for one year (sold it for the same price I bought it for) but I miss that car, despite its klunky auto tranny, no heat and gas mileage that rivaled the Ford Ranger that I drove after I sold her.

Strangely enough, I had less problems in the snow with the S14 and I do in the BRZ.....

Sideways&Smiling 05-22-2014 11:38 AM

I have an S14 with some light front end damage right now as a 2nd car. Trying to decide if I want to keep it and fix it or just get rid of it and use the extra money on the S2000... not sure yet...

Lots of engjne swap options and tons of power potential... the sr20vet vvl, in particular, would be awesome... but the the steering and suspension geometry is inferior to the s2000... would take a lot of work and money to make it competitive for any kind of grip events...

Drifting is another story though. Drop in an lsx or 2jz and call it a day. haha

GT86drifter 05-22-2014 11:40 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...84703900_n.jpg

HAI

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...91564832_n.jpg

I still have it. 86 is my work daily.

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hph...95536563_n.jpg

ftc~brz 05-22-2014 12:01 PM

@BoostinIX

vividracing 05-22-2014 12:02 PM

Good god, so many cleans...


n2oinferno 05-22-2014 01:19 PM

Here is a 240SX desktop background. I came.

That's what the topic is about, right? :D
http://www.wallchan.com/images/sandb...nissan-240.jpg

edit: In all seriousness though, no. Always wanted one, but every time I've been in need of a car I haven't been able to find one that isn't beat to shit.

vividracing 05-22-2014 01:43 PM

So true. Hard to find one in decent shape these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2oinferno (Post 1753448)
Here is a 240SX desktop background. I came.

edit: In all seriousness though, no. Always wanted one, but every time I've been in need of a car I haven't been able to find one that isn't beat to shit.


TylerLieberman 05-22-2014 04:03 PM

I spy some old az240 cars :)

Here's my old s14, circa 2008.

1998 240sx SE

Full Vertex aero. DMax widebody. SSR wheels. HKS Hipermax Coilovers. Cusco diff, sways, struts, arms, and braces. Sparco seats/Schroth harnesses. Auto power cage. KA-T using GReddy TD06 20G Kit, Defi gauges etc etc etc.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...y/DSCN3244.jpg

Around 250whp/230wtq on 10psi and 91 octane. Owned it from 2005-2010. Got an S13 hatch after and owned for about a year and then sold it.

NickDC88 05-22-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerLieberman (Post 1753813)
I spy some old az240 cars :)

Guilty.

HATED1 05-22-2014 05:04 PM

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/7aa76715.jpghttp://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/70c3928d.jpghttp://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/08c59085.jpg

driftartist 05-22-2014 05:43 PM

if i could have my old 92 coupe i would trade my frs to get it back..

vividracing 05-22-2014 07:48 PM

It must have been that special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftartist (Post 1754042)
if i could have my old 92 coupe i would trade my frs to get it back..


ohayo 05-22-2014 08:18 PM

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9652a591.jpg
my old 98 s15 sr swapped w/gt28rs, os giken clutch and lsd, jline wheels, tanabe sustec pro coilovers, stabilzers, bracing, jdm digital climate control swap....damn sometimes i do miss this car.... also briefly had a 92 13 hatch but that car received no love really and was just a buy and sell.

P86RAVES 05-23-2014 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 79631

Traded it in an impulse decision back in 2010. One of the worst decisions I have ever made, as I'm still looking for a car that matches the spirit that it had. My STi had come the closest so far.

Sideways&Smiling 05-23-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P86RAVES (Post 1755061)
Attachment 79631

Traded it in an impulse decision back in 2010. One of the worst decisions I have ever made, as I'm still looking for a car that matches the spirit that it had. My STi had come the closest so far.

Add a turbo to your FR-S and you'll have that spirit back... with better steering and handling. The cars are very similar in dimensions, layout, suspension design, etc.... The FR-S just has sharper steering and better suspension geometry. Power is all it's missing...

Of course, you can scoop up a 240 for $2K pretty easily. That's the obvious advantage of a 240. hah

P86RAVES 05-23-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling (Post 1755232)
Add a turbo to your FR-S and you'll have that spirit back... with better steering and handling. The cars are very similar in dimensions, layout, suspension design, etc.... The FR-S just has sharper steering and better suspension geometry. Power is all it's missing...

Of course, you can scoop up a 240 for $2K pretty easily. That's the obvious advantage of a 240. hah



Honestly I don't know if I ever will.

The dimensions you mention are one thing that got me really excited about the FT86 back when finally released them. I compared them to a 240's and saw it was about identical to an S14.

The feel of the FR-S is more inline with the E46 I had, and less that of the S13. Maybe the refinement is the issue... it doesn't feel as "raw".

elbles 05-25-2014 12:31 PM

A 1990 240SX was my first car. I learned about the timing chain tensioner issue the hard way, and other than an exhaust and a stereo, it was pretty much stock:

http://www.sessys.com/~elbles/240SX/..._Wallpaper.jpg

Every car I've had since has been better, and my BRZ is more fun, but it was definitely a memorable car (garbage timing chain tensioner aside).

IMOA 05-25-2014 01:16 PM

Had a few 14's, last one was built for backroads and while not massively powerful (GTRS with a bit over 400rwhp) I spent years working on the handling and at the end it was quite amazing up a country road. After them I spent a fair bit of time building cars for mates and working with some race teams. The two favourites were a circuit/drift car which weighed 2300lbs and made 520rwhp (still street registered so we took it out occasionally, quite insane on public oads) and an SR22VET S15 making 550rwhp, that was nearly 8 years ago and I think the first rwd VET outside of japan.

Sideways&Smiling 05-25-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMOA (Post 1758644)
Had a few 14's, last one was built for backroads and while not massively powerful (GTRS with a bit over 400rwhp) I spent years working on the handling and at the end it was quite amazing up a country road. After them I spent a fair bit of time building cars for mates and working with some race teams. The two favourites were a circuit/drift car which weighed 2300lbs and made 520rwhp (still street registered so we took it out occasionally, quite insane on public oads) and an SR22VET S15 making 550rwhp, that was nearly 8 years ago and I think the first rwd VET outside of japan.

I need me a VET VVL setup. Good lawd. It just takes so much $$$$...

IMOA 05-26-2014 12:52 PM

Digging around in some old photos

Drift car, literally built in a back shed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...en%20200sx.jpg

S15, just an amazing car. Built in a proper workshop.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...RLRD%20020.jpg

vividracing 05-27-2014 02:38 PM

That may be stock but one of the cleanest I have ever seen for a car that is 20 + years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbles (Post 1758599)
A 1990 240SX was my first car. I learned about the timing chain tensioner issue the hard way, and other than an exhaust and a stereo, it was pretty much stock:

http://www.sessys.com/~elbles/240SX/..._Wallpaper.jpg

Every car I've had since has been better, and my BRZ is more fun, but it was definitely a memorable car (garbage timing chain tensioner aside).


reni 05-28-2014 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a 1995 SE 5MT a number of years ago.

Pristine, stock, one owner, 19k miles when I bought it. I miss it very much now, I feel like it was the last clean 240 in the country.

Also, super jealous of you guys in Australia who could get S15s. :drool:

diss7 06-01-2014 06:45 PM

I've had 5 or 6 silvias, two s13's, there s14's, one s15.

But this was my first, and still my faourite.

Was 2004-2005. No one had really gotten into rear wheel drives or drifting in NZ yet. Everyone was still in evos and stis.

This started as a 200sx (which is a nzdm 180sx) then added s13 front to make it a sil80. Jdm sr20det swap. Turbo and injectors were from an s15. Apexi piggy back ecu. 280hp. Suspension was just some cheap teins. Also had caster arms, rear camber and toe, and that was pretty much it. Wheels are r32 skyline wheels, rattle can black.

I just loved how simple that car was.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...34501788_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...53183965_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...86136170_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...39706243_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...95124753_n.jpg


le sigh

Tanuki 06-01-2014 07:32 PM

I have Corolla and ///M background with a dash of 240sx.

http://www.turtlefactory.com/wp-cont...2/240track.jpg

vividracing 06-02-2014 02:32 PM

Looks awesome. I had a set of R32 skyline wheels on a black hatchback too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diss7 (Post 1771948)
I've had 5 or 6 silvias, two s13's, there s14's, one s15.

But this was my first, and still my faourite.

Was 2004-2005. No one had really gotten into rear wheel drives or drifting in NZ yet. Everyone was still in evos and stis.

This started as a 200sx (which is a nzdm 180sx) then added s13 front to make it a sil80. Jdm sr20det swap. Turbo and injectors were from an s15. Apexi piggy back ecu. 280hp. Suspension was just some cheap teins. Also had caster arms, rear camber and toe, and that was pretty much it. Wheels are r32 skyline wheels, rattle can black.

I just loved how simple that car was.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...34501788_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...53183965_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...86136170_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...39706243_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...95124753_n.jpg


le sigh


Dave-ROR 06-02-2014 03:05 PM

I've built a few and drive a few.. never owned one.

bestwheelbase 06-03-2014 12:12 AM

We have loved the 240 for a long time. Bought this one new in '94, got it dialed in before the turn of the millennium, and it's lived a quiet life ever since. Still under 60k miles. It happens to be for sale, in case anyone is looking for a clean S14. Full scoop at www.bestwheelbase.com/240.

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_9978-web.jpg

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_9993-web.jpg

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_0057-web.jpg

vividracing 06-03-2014 01:16 PM

So you have been the first and only owner? Amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 1774533)
We have loved the 240 for a long time. Bought this one new in '94, got it dialed in before the turn of the millennium, and it's lived a quiet life ever since. Still under 60k miles. It happens to be for sale, in case anyone is looking for a clean S14. Full scoop at www.bestwheelbase.com/240.

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_9978-web.jpg

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_9993-web.jpg

http://bestwheelbase.com/wp-content/...D_0057-web.jpg


bestwheelbase 06-04-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vividracing (Post 1775438)
So you have been the first and only owner? Amazing.

Yeah. Just always felt right, it's been a good car, lots of good memories. But eventually you reach the point where it is time to pass it on so someone else can make memories. It's just not seeing enough use these days, needs someone who can put it in heavy rotation and enjoy the hell out of what is a fantastic balanced streetable setup.

Come to think of it, the car will be 20 years old this autumn. Wow I cannot believe it's been that long. It's been a pleasure every mile, every curve, every late night blast through the hills on cool summer evenings with the windows down, gloves on, crack of the exhaust resonating through the trees...

Hopefully it finds a loving home. :)

Takumi788 06-05-2014 12:06 PM

My babies.
1990 240sx 300rwhp sr20det
1992 240sx se convertible stock daily
I miss the vert....a lot. No doubt in my mind i would still have it if the seats werent about to fall through the rotted floor boards.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...o/IMG_0129.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3...o/IMG_0139.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V...o/IMAG0413.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s...o/IMAG0414.jpg

GT86drifter 06-05-2014 03:31 PM

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...20105486_n.jpg

from this past weekend Peace. Love. Drift.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.