Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Member - paint question (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61380)

kberkel 03-22-2014 04:20 PM

New Member - paint question
 
Hey ya'll

Picking up the BRZ on Monday and wanted to get used to the forum :thumbsup:

I have a paint question.. the dealer is trying to get me to buy $400 paint protection. She kept saying it was a sealant with a 3 year warranty, but couldn't describe it better than that.

I planned on layering on Opticoat 2.0 to save some money.

--

Has anyone done the paint protection from a Subaru dealer? I searched but didn't find anything specific.

husker741 03-22-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kberkel (Post 1618465)
Hey ya'll

Picking up the BRZ on Monday and wanted to get used to the forum :thumbsup:

I have a paint question.. the dealer is trying to get me to buy $400 paint protection.

She kept saying it was a sealant, but couldn't describe it better than that.

I planned on layering on Opticoat 2.0 to save some money.

--

Has anyone done the paint protection from a Subaru dealer? I searched but didn't find anything specific.

Save your money and get it Opticoated yourself.

/thread

kberkel 03-22-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 1618466)
Save your money and get it Opticoated yourself.

/thread

Thank you sir!

I've only bought private party up till now.. so I've never been sold hard at a dealership before.

husker741 03-22-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kberkel (Post 1618484)
Thank you sir!

I've only bought private party up till now.. so I've never been sold hard at a dealership before.

It's soft paint already and allowing the dealership more time with the paint could make it worse.

immaculate 03-22-2014 04:27 PM

Don't buy any of the additional services that the dealership tries to throw in. That's where they make a huge chunk of their profit.

kberkel 03-22-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immaculate (Post 1618488)
Don't buy any of the additional services that the dealership tries to throw in. That's where they make a huge chunk of their profit.

Thanks for the advice. They pushed GAP insurance too. I'm gonna pay the car off fully in a month or so, so I might as well nix that as well.

It's running blizzaks now. Now I'll have the money to buy some new wheels and tires :thumbsup:

N1rve 03-22-2014 04:38 PM

Do not buy it. It's like a 400 dollar wax job. Real paint protection is like a clear bra to prevent rock chips.

Jrryjms07 03-24-2014 12:11 PM

I work a a dealership out in WI and I got mine for free. I do recommend doing something to coat it. Keeps it shinny


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourvalleys 03-24-2014 12:21 PM

Absolutely you should have it protected, whether by opti-coat or by clear bra. But as everyone else has mentioned, you should find someone to do it yourself. Don't pay the dealer!

extrashaky 03-24-2014 02:37 PM

"Yeah, but that Truecoat..."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gwc4UizUc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gwc4UizUc[/ame]

sshole 03-24-2014 03:55 PM

Spend your money on a full front end clear bra. It's a clear vinyl overlay that will absorb the forces of rocks and road debris so your paint stays on the car.

Jrryjms07 03-24-2014 03:56 PM

^^agreed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00NissanNinja 03-24-2014 04:06 PM

I don't know where you are in Ohio, but I had my car opti coated by TSS Auto Detailing in Cinncinati and they did a great job if you don't want to DIY.

But, yeah I wouldn't let the dealer touch it.

Diode Dynamics 03-24-2014 04:13 PM

Plenty of better options than the service department at your dealer IMO.

Opticoat, Clear bra..etc. etc...

Nick C.

kberkel 03-24-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja (Post 1622665)
I don't know where you are in Ohio, but I had my car opti coated by TSS Auto Detailing in Cinncinati and they did a great job if you don't want to DIY.

But, yeah I wouldn't let the dealer touch it.

I'm moving to Michigan, but I went to Miami University so I visit friends near Cinci a lot. thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics (Post 1622701)
Plenty of better options than the service department at your dealer IMO.

Opticoat, Clear bra..etc. etc...

Nick C.

I went in to buy the car today, and they had already applied their paint sealant :( I figured they'd wait till I bought it, but I had already put a deposit and didn't clearly say "Don't do it."

They did polish out every blemish I pointed out to them, and I am not disappointed at all. I usually don't like dealers touching any of my paint since they usually mess it up, but the car looks phenomenal :w00t:

http://i.imgur.com/5hYqoXe.jpg

It has fresh blizzaks now (which I'll need next Winter).. so I'm gonna buy some 18s with some summer rubber and drop it on sportlines in 2 months. So excited, thanks for the advice guys!

Time to go remove that front plate bracket.

JS + BRZ 03-24-2014 08:35 PM

Yeah, definitely just say "no" to any type of additional service for your new car.

kberkel 03-25-2014 01:04 AM

Hey guys quick question, I searched about the oem plate bracket but no definite answers

I went to unbolt the bracket and the bolts just spin. Somebody mentioned an anchor, do I have to remove the front bumper to get this thing off? :( Not sure if installation uses nuts, or toggle bolts or something

thanks guys

kberkel 03-26-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kberkel (Post 1624018)
Hey guys quick question, I searched about the oem plate bracket but no definite answers

I went to unbolt the bracket and the bolts just spin. Somebody mentioned an anchor, do I have to remove the front bumper to get this thing off? :( Not sure if installation uses nuts, or toggle bolts or something

thanks guys

Ended up having to take my bumper off. 2 days ownership, glad I popped its cherry already ;) Thanks to the bumper removal thread, it was easy as pie.

I assume the previous owner overtightened the nuts. Even with pliers on one end, they wouldn't budge. I ended up using a dremel to cut the rubber portion of the nut off.

I gotta plug the holes, but I I'm glad I did it :D

http://i.imgur.com/1gQHYCh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KiKGi9T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KtnFu2f.jpg

mrdanyo 03-26-2014 08:26 PM

If you were gonna take the plate off, why didn't you just ask them not to drill it?

kberkel 03-26-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdanyo (Post 1628625)
If you were gonna take the plate off, why didn't you just ask them not to drill it?

Bought it used with 10k miles, so the previous owner did that ;)

I would've raised hell if the dealer drilled holes in a brand new car

mrdanyo 03-26-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kberkel (Post 1628706)
Bought it used with 10k miles, so the previous owner did that ;)

I would've raised hell if the dealer drilled holes in a brand new car

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually prefer having my plate smack dab in the middle rather than on those grimmspeed plate relocators or whatnot. :P

kberkel 03-26-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdanyo (Post 1628758)
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually prefer having my plate smack dab in the middle rather than on those grimmspeed plate relocators or whatnot. :P

I'm just gonna risk no front plate for a while. I haven't been hassled the past 8 years


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.