Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help finding wheel finish similar to Pressed Graphite (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60320)

ericmpena 03-10-2014 11:59 AM

Help finding wheel finish similar to Pressed Graphite
 
2 Attachment(s)
Can someone help me find some similar wheel options for this kind of finish? I'm looking for something between chrome and gloss black.
I'm getting bored of my black wheels and would like something that looks a little more flashy while keeping a darker color look.
Thanks for the help!

CSG Mike 03-10-2014 12:12 PM

Pressed graphite is the TE37SL color ;)

ericmpena 03-10-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 1587429)
Pressed graphite is the TE37SL color ;)

Yeah, I realize that much. I'm looking for other wheels that have similar finishes. Most wheels I find only have black, chrome, silver, etc. I'm looking specifically for wheels that have a similar finish like Volk's Pressed Graphite...if there are any out there.
Hopefully there are other options because I don't want to pay $4000 for those wheels. :(

CSG Mike 03-10-2014 12:36 PM

Any "gloss metallic gunmetal" type of finish will be similar in color

Assphalt 03-10-2014 12:43 PM

Chromium black from XXR looks really clean IMO. And they wont cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

spdbydesignchris 03-10-2014 01:31 PM

Eric, our new wheel company will be launching this summer and if you can wait until then, I'd be glad to fix you up with a deal on a set for your car....

stugray 03-10-2014 01:52 PM

"Black Chrome" (as Assphalt kinda said)

It can be plated (very expensive) or powder coated (less-very expensive)

ericmpena 03-10-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbydesignchris (Post 1587661)
Eric, our new wheel company will be launching this summer and if you can wait until then, I'd be glad to fix you up with a deal on a set for your car....

That would be awesome! I don't mind holding out for a while. I'm not in a huge rush, just wanting to change up my look to something a little more flashy than just black wheels.

ericmpena 03-10-2014 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assphalt (Post 1587506)
Chromium black from XXR looks really clean IMO. And they wont cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Been looking at a few Chromium Black wheels from XXR and they look awesome! Especially these:

ericmpena 03-10-2014 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder how the Enkei SBC finish compares to Volk's Pressed Graphite. It's hard to tell if the Enkei SBC finish is naturally more bright or dark. In this pic all 4 wheels are SBC finish, yet one of the wheels looks much brighter than the other 3.

mfbmike 03-10-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmpena (Post 1587802)
I wonder how the Enkei SBC finish compares to Volk's Pressed Graphite. It's hard to tell if the Enkei SBC finish is naturally more bright or dark. In this pic all 4 wheels are SBC finish, yet one of the wheels looks much brighter than the other 3.

That's because SBC is amazing. lol. It really plays off the lighting around it i.e. it looks different during different times of the day and from different angles.

The best answer I can give when people ask what "color" it is - black chrome, which sounds similar to what you may be asking for.

RPF1's in SBC are somewhat common, NT03's in SBC much less so.

Shameless plug, I'm selling a set of NT03's in SBC: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58970

I'd keep them but I got new wheels. :cry:

Oh, and I've got a handful of pics in my build thread if you'd like to see more of SBC for comparison's sake. Good luck. I also think pressed graphite is dope.

ericmpena 03-10-2014 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks! There's a local guy selling his RPF1's SBC. I started digging through pictures and fell in love with the SBC finish when I came across this first picture.
Attachment 69933

The only problem is then I saw the second picture in which I feel that the SBC finish may be a little too bright.
Attachment 69934

Like you said, I'm sure it just depends on the lighting. Personally I don't like the look of bright chrome on a white car...especially a satin white car...and even more so a pearl white car. lol
I'm probably a little picky, but I know the exact look I'm going for in my head. I looking for a dark glossy finish that will look not look too bright during the day and you can still see the wheel design in the shadows or at night. So far the Pressed Graphite seems like the ideal wheel finish...but it's soooo expensive!

ericmpena 03-10-2014 02:44 PM

On another note, are those XXR 530's seriously that cheap!?

19's for $150 each. daaaang.

SkAsphalt 03-10-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbydesignchris (Post 1587661)
Eric, our new wheel company will be launching this summer and if you can wait until then, I'd be glad to fix you up with a deal on a set for your car....

Have you shown off any designs yet?

ericmpena 03-10-2014 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I might be sold on these XXR 530's Chromium Black. The price is so low...it's hard to justify passing these up! I had always wished the Enkei Raijin came in a color like this...and now I've pretty much found it.

Jason@DSG 03-10-2014 04:35 PM

The SBC from Enkei is usually special order and difficult to get depending on wheel model so make sure to check!

SkAsphalt 03-10-2014 04:40 PM

Anything in "Hyper Black" Finish from Rota would make you happy as well

Jason@DSG 03-10-2014 05:09 PM

SSR = Super Black Coat FYI

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/sp1_17181920.asp

Hover over the Super Black finish

ericmpena 03-10-2014 06:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@DSG (Post 1588218)
The SBC from Enkei is usually special order and difficult to get depending on wheel model so make sure to check!

Yeah, I've noticed that the SBC finish is hard to come by. A guy about an hour away from me is selling his set of 18x9.5 RPF1's in SBC. He says they're in great condition and he's selling at a decent price.

Only problem is now that I've come across these XXR in Chromium Black I think I'm nearly 100% sold on them.
I've been wanting a mesh look, the price is right, and the wheel finish is spot on with what I'm looking for. They look pretty much exactly how I'd want my car to look.
Gotta thank mwjcyber for posting these pics in his build threat. More pics can be seen here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58382

EDIT: These are the wheel/tire specs. XXR 530 18x7.5 +38 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - 225/40/18

JS + BRZ 03-10-2014 08:17 PM

Why don't you go check out that local guy whose selling the SBC ones before you make the decision?

ericmpena 03-10-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ (Post 1588878)
Why don't you go check out that local guy whose selling the SBC ones before you make the decision?

Consulted with the gf and she doesn't like the RPF1's. lol. Says they're too reflective. In the meantime I've been shopping around and ended up finding a decent deal on XXR 530's 18x7.5 +38 in Chromium Black. Not as good of a deal as Next Level Motoring ($598 shipped), but I'm happy paying a little extra to get them now. Next Level Motoring is Out Of Stock for the size I want.

Quick question..my current tires are 225/40/18. Those will have no problem on a 7.5" width wheel, correct? My current Enkei's are 8" width, and I've read of people stretching 225's onto 9.5" width. Anyways, going down to 7.5" shouldn't be a problem, correct?

BlueDubbinTDI 03-10-2014 09:37 PM

Get the XXR 18x8.75 530's et33 all around with a 5mm spacer in the rear. Its sex and really cheap. I don't have any pics of the added 5mm spacer in the rear in my build thread but you'll have to trust me the stance is perfect even on aggressive spring setups.

ericmpena 03-10-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI (Post 1589078)
Get the XXR 18x8.75 530's et33 all around with a 5mm spacer in the rear. Its sex and really cheap. I don't have any pics of the added 5mm spacer in the rear in my build thread but you'll have to trust me the stance is perfect even on aggressive spring setups.

My issue is that nearly all pictures I see with 8.75 width have poke up front. I don't mind the rear looking wider, but I absolutely do not want the tires poking out in the front. I haven't seen 1 picture of someone with 8.75 width that didn't have poke in the front. (I'm still looking through the 70+ pages on the gallery)

The pictures I've seen with 18x7.5 +38 look great. If the wheels are tucked then you can always get a spacer. If the wheels poke out...then I guess you sell them? Not sure what other options you have if the wheels poke out.

EDIT: Damn you! Now you have me looking at the 8.75's. I really like the concave on them. If I went 7.5 +38 front, and 8.5 +33 rear...would that be okay? Could I still use all 4 of my tires? Or will I need to purchase new tires?

BlueDubbinTDI 03-10-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmpena (Post 1589109)
My issue is that nearly all pictures I see with 8.75 width have poke up front. I don't mind the rear looking wider, but I absolutely do not want the tires poking out in the front. I haven't seen 1 picture of someone with 8.75 width that didn't have poke in the front. (I'm still looking through the 70+ pages on the gallery)

The pictures I've seen with 18x7.5 +38 look great. If the wheels are tucked then you can always get a spacer. If the wheels poke out...then I guess you sell them? Not sure what other options you have if the wheels poke out.

EDIT: Damn you! Now you have me looking at the 8.75's. I really like the concave on them. If I went 7.5 +38 front, and 8.5 +33 rear...would that be okay? Could I still use all 4 of my tires? Or will I need to purchase new tires?



Yeah the front pokes that's why I had to get 5mm spacers in the rear to match, now it just looks perfect (to me). your plan would work and neither would poke (the rear is almost flush with the 8.75 et33). Ide get 235's or 245's in the rear just so the rear tires don't look skinnier than the front. That might just look funny even though technically you could run 225 all around. I am. The only thing about 7.5" wheels is that there is absolutely nothing aggressive about it, its just another wheel. But again, just my opinion. If you do end up going this route post pics!

ericmpena 03-10-2014 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI (Post 1589128)
Yeah the front pokes that's why I had to get 5mm spacers in the rear to match, now it just looks perfect (to me). your plan would work and neither would poke (the rear is almost flush with the 8.75 et33). Ide get 235's or 245's in the rear just so the rear tires don't look skinnier than the front. That might just look funny even though technically you could run 225 all around. I am. The only thing about 7.5" wheels is that there is absolutely nothing aggressive about it, its just another wheel. But again, just my opinion. If you do end up going this route post pics!

If only it didn't poke! lol. I saw this picture and I'm really digging the concave look in the front and rear. I might just sacrifice having a little bit of poke in the front in exchange for a nice concave look.
Then again, maybe I'll stumble upon a picture of someone running 7.5 front, 8.75 rear and fall in love with that. Only halfway through the 530 gallery thread...
This pic has:
XXR 530 18x8.75 +33 Chromium Black
225/40/18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso
Lowered on RCE Yellow springs (.8")
-1.2* camber with adjustable camber bolts

BlueDubbinTDI 03-10-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmpena (Post 1589135)
If only it didn't poke! lol. I saw this picture and I'm really digging the concave look in the front and rear. I might just sacrifice having a little bit of poke in the front in exchange for a nice concave look.
Then again, maybe I'll stumble upon a picture of someone running 7.5 front, 8.75 rear and fall in love with that. Only halfway through the 530 gallery thread...
This pic has:
XXR 530 18x8.75 +33 Chromium Black
225/40/18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso
Lowered on RCE Yellow springs (.8")
-1.2* camber with adjustable camber bolts


This picture got me to order mine as well! Its a little deceiving though because here the poke isn't noticeable when in real life there is probably 5mm of poke looking from the top down with crash bolt added camber up front. This is perfectly ok with me, just saying. I love mine with the added 5mm spacers...you have no idea how pleased I was

ericmpena 03-10-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI (Post 1589163)
This picture got me to order mine as well! Its a little deceiving though because here the poke isn't noticeable when in real life there is probably 5mm of poke looking from the top down with crash bolt added camber up front. This is perfectly ok with me, just saying. I love mine with the added 5mm spacers...you have no idea how pleased I was

Question: If I did go with 7.5 front, and 8.75 rear...while keeping all 4 tires the same...would that be okay? Or will the rear look stretched compared to the front?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.