![]() |
How do I catch up?
Howdy. I finally found a car that I really enjoy driving, other than the 68 Coronet R/T that I had "in the day". Been out of the loop for awhile, automotively speaking. I haven't done any mods to a car since dual points and condensers. Whereas I'm sure that the principles are the same, the tweeking is vastly different these days. No more half degree hammers, plug in the computer and remap.
It's pass time for me to catch up and I'm wondering where to start. From the first sit in the drivers seat (Honey, I'm home) to today (can't wait for spring), it's been difficult for me to exit the car and I don't mean physically. This is my first sports car and she's almost perfect. I know what I want to do about the physical things (tires, brakes, exhaust, etc...), but what about the tweeking? Anybody out there care to teach an old dog the new tricks? |
Welcome! I would start with this if you are interested in an ease-of-use tune/tweeking solution: http://openflashtablet.com/products/OFT/index.html
|
Quote:
Let's see ..... tuning. Well, for sure you can leave your feeler gauge, dwell meter, timing light & vacuum gauge in the back of the drawer. Hmmm......tweaking non-ECU stuff. Tires have come a long way recently. A lot depends on what kind of driving you will be doing. I'd suggest you go to tire rack.com for some good information. The brakes that came on the car are just fine for average driving. The suspension is set up perfectly for average driving. No, the car does not need to be any lower (it just makes it harder to get in and out of ....:D). Now the for the exhaust. Some power gains can be had by opening it up (aftermarket header, down pipe, over pipe, mid pipe and muffler (or not). However, opening it up is expensive and can make the car loud as hell. If your just interesting on making it sorta sound like putting some glass packs on the back in the day cars, several after market mufflers are out there. I like the muffler made by "nameless" (that's a company name). The air box is just fine for average driving. However, free-er flowing "drop in" filters are on the market. I like K&N. There is lots of good info on this site. Happy driving! |
Start with cosmetic stuff and then tell us what you are unhappy with. Acceleration? Turn in? Twitchy rear end?
Otherwise I would just cruise the tech subforums and read, read read. Even if you don't plan on tracking, there is a lot of knowledge in those forums (the RCE/CSG suspension thread and the CSG track question thread in particular). |
Back in the day, everyone ran straight lines, light to light. After I bought my first bike, I quickly learned how fun curves actually were. Always wanted to go down south and ride the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC. Now, I want to do it on 4 wheels. I have learned with my first runs at BIR that power isn't everything and can wait. So I'll be working other things first, but eventually, I will want some more power. As I said, she's almost perfect and a few more ponies would be right. I had heard that Subaru was talking about an STI version that gained about 30 hp without any real extras, but I haven't heard anything since.
My thanks for the welcome and quick responses. Have been reading many interesting threads about a lot of topics and will be doing more research for a little while, but hey, it's winter and I refuse to use the snow button. I will surely be checking out the link provided. My thanks again to you all. |
I'd highly recommend reading the each of the sub categories in the tech forums (engine, tuning, forced induction, etc) and learn about what's out there for our cars. There is more than enough information available at this point, just a matter of finding the time to read through it.
|
With a header and tune, you can gain a nice amount of power and help the mid range a TON!!! If you haven`t seen any dyno sheets yet, you will see there is a big dip in the mid range. A simple header fixes most of it, but a tune helps get the most out of it.
Stock intake is pretty good already and a simple drop in filter gives 75% of the gains at 25% the cost of a full intake. For handling, get a new set of tires first and foremost hehehe. It will feel like you bought another new car. You can head down in the suspension section and a few users there like CSR Racing, have great tips on getting your suspension dialed in to your needs. And congrats on your new car. It might not be a straight line monster, but it always puts a big smile on your face, even when you get out dragged by a Grand Caravan hehehe. |
Quote:
Spirited runs on a road track are the goal (not to mention great canyon runs, when available, or riverside). No plans to run with the kids, but I do enjoy nice curves. Long straights have been less than exciting as (in my opinion) the front end lifts (doesn't feel planted), maybe it's the road, although super slab is usually pretty good. Not willing to divulge my cruse speed, but let's just assume that double nickels REALLY, REALLY, REALLY suck. Don't care about glitz or glamour, just want to hug the road tighter than I would hug my lady. |
Quote:
The front end gets up and "floats," which is especially noticeable into a strong headwind. It's unsettling and a bit unnerving. Other drivers have noted that the hood appears to be trying to lift up off the car at speed. One of the German auto magazines (I think) said that there is measurable front end lift at speed. You're not alone. |
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
If you don't buy that, just glance over at your lady's face, the next time you are trying to set the local land speed record.....:eyebulge: OK, stubborn, if your dead set on "flying" with your FR-S ..... maybe a lower, tighter suspension would help. Better tires would help keep it from "lift off". And some aero tupperware on the front lip might help keep the nose down. :D |
Is there a thread about areas that have fun roads or particular roads (Tail of the Dragon) in general, to drive?
|
Quote:
Why don't you start one ...... :thanks: [ame]http://youtu.be/JcuvcvZpSNY[/ame] humfrz |
Quote:
I finally understand your forum name |
Quote:
:clap: humfrz |
Quote:
|
Quote:
My lovely wife, the clever one, "gave" me that name and ordered up personalized license plates with that name ..... so as I could remember my plate number when registering at motels when we travel. She was embarrassed that I kept coming back out to read the license plate .... then writing it on my hand ..... :confused0068: humfrz |
Quote:
|
Quote:
I guess this was a good idea. Okay, I'll give it a shot. Thanx (and I agree with trevorovert, excellent handle) . |
Quote:
Okay. I placed the thread "Roads worthy of a Vacation" in the Off-Topic Lounge. Maybe it belongs somewhere else, I don't know. You should definitely post this video, location and road identification. That would be a nice road to drive on. |
Quote:
After much, much reading and deliberation, my OFT should be arriving on Monday. Can't wait to get the car out of the garage once the snow is gone. |
Okay, new question for those that know. Still considering myself a nOObie to the forum. I figured out how to get a link to a webpage to work, so that's not an issue. But how do get an image (jpg, bmp, etc.....) to post? I have many to share about various events in my region.
Is there a way to change your screen name? A help file or document explaining the "How to's" of the forum would make a good sticky in this section. |
From someone who has way too much time and money into this car I would say it really does not need a whole lot except tires and alignment if you are happy right nowm The more you change generally the more headache you will experience.
|
Quote:
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...es-__3082.html The routes in red are usually the ones with the most twisties. The maps are interactive, so that if you click on a route you will be taken to the page for that road. Some of them have reviews, but keep in mind the site is geared toward motorcycles. You can drill down by state also. Your profile says Minnesota: http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...ota_-3082.html You have a few red routes down to your southeast. |
Thnx, love her the way she is. She may not have the power, but you feel like she has the power. Although, the extra ponies that Subaru spoke of for TS version (hope I got that right) would be nice. I have found that she may be a pooch off the line or in the straights, but give her some curves to run and I'm much more comfortable than I am on my bike. Makes me wish that I could have afforded a sports car 50 years ago.
Quote:
|
Started a thread called "Roads worthy of a vacation" and I will add your link to my thread. Thank you, the website is awesome and since my little lady is as fun to drive in the curves as my bike. Ah, you know what I mean, thanks.
Quote:
|
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.