Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SUBARU BRZ Development Movie Documentary [MUST SEE] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5263)

ayau 04-23-2012 03:25 PM

SUBARU BRZ Development Movie Documentary [MUST SEE]
 
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/third/car3.png
FT86CLUB Homepage Featured Story


part 1
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ0sDiL87eE"][SUBARU] 1 of 2 SUBARU BRZ Development Movie - YouTube[/ame]


part 2
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZcX7Hawhk"][SUBARU] 2 of 2 SUBARU BRZ Development Movie - YouTube[/ame]

Guff 04-23-2012 03:47 PM

Lots of cool info in these videos!

Lost 04-23-2012 04:56 PM

Amazing! Thanks so much for posting. I want my car in a big, bad way!

dsgerbc 04-23-2012 05:23 PM

Awesome. Just awesome. Huge thanks for posting.
This belongs on the front page of this site.

ZetaVI 04-23-2012 06:00 PM

Probably my favorite videos by Subaru.

OrbitalEllipses 04-23-2012 06:14 PM

Very cool.

Kimsey47 04-23-2012 06:15 PM

Great vids! Thanks a lot for sharing... These def are front page worthy. Anyone notice Subaru never mentioned collaborating with Toyota? If they did I never noticed it anyway...

Turbowned 04-23-2012 06:16 PM

Very cool! It's impressive to see just how much thought went into creating this overall package; it truly is more than the sum of its parts. Now is it just me or is Subaru doing a much better job of marketing the car than Scion? Maybe it just speaks to me more than whatever tactics Scion is taking; I don't know.

djdnz 04-23-2012 06:23 PM

I really enjoyed this video, glad to see the people who worked on it are proud of it.

Turbowned 04-23-2012 06:37 PM

"Sports cars require high performance in all aspects. There are a number of ways of increasing performance, with engine power output probably the most recognisable. Tyres with a high level of grip are also essential. These items can all be modified by customers after they have purchased a car. Yet designing a low centre of gravity body from scratch can only be achieved by the car's manufacturer. And that is what we have done."

Thank you! Could not have said it better myself.

mattles 04-23-2012 06:46 PM

one word.

SUUUUUUGOI~

kwood9000 04-23-2012 06:57 PM

Nice videos!

Subaruwrxfan 04-23-2012 07:19 PM

Wow that video was amazing and really illustrated the genius behind this car very well. Even more excited for this car now!

Deslock 04-23-2012 07:23 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting the videos. Here are screenshots of some of the diagrams.

dookie11 04-23-2012 07:37 PM

Awesome. Just plain awesome! Watched it in 1080p, and I was smiling the entire time haha. Such a classy film, and I like how they give ZERO credit to Toyota haha.

But how come Toyota/Scion don't release stuff like this? So far, Scion's marketing has been that trashy-American-fastnfurious-crap, and I haven't really seen anything Toyota's made.

dsgerbc 04-23-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan (Post 189859)
Wow that video was amazing and really illustrated the genius behind this car very well. Even more excited for this car now!

Also illustrated - how much chassis strength depends on the roof ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deslock (Post 189866)
Thanks for posting the videos. Here are screenshots of some of the diagrams.

Thanks for those too. I thought about doing it, if nobody stepped up ;)

That strut diagram has me worried about Subaru. How many will go with tires 'as wide as fits' only to have them shredded through by the spring seat when tires flex under load?

DommerEOD 04-23-2012 07:42 PM

Wow, so many little details they got into with this car. Starter motor, the driving position.. crazy!

Phaedrus29 04-23-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 189825)
"Sports cars require high performance in all aspects. There are a number of ways of increasing performance, with engine power output probably the most recognisable. Tyres with a high level of grip are also essential. These items can all be modified by customers after they have purchased a car. Yet designing a low centre of gravity body from scratch can only be achieved by the car's manufacturer. And that is what we have done."

Thank you! Could not have said it better myself.

Ya I mean at least it's honest, but it sounded to me like he was saying "we know the power output and tires suck...fix these 'essential' features yourself...but of course when you slap in a turbo it will void your warranty."

Mango22 04-23-2012 07:59 PM

It's great to see people who enjoy their work, who get to create something that embodies their passion. Just amazing to see the holistic approach they took in developing this masterpiece. The Germans are known for this type of obsessive development but, as of late, seem to be straying from this formula a bit, IMO.
Mazda was also very holistic in the development and production of the Miata. I wanted to get one a few years ago but sadly couldn't fit in one with the top up. Also the S2000 was a consideration but legroom for shifting was nonexistent for me, so I'm extremely happy this car is hitting our shores!

zAnSh1n 04-23-2012 08:02 PM

seen it about a month ago... w/o the subtitles.

damn, i got all excited for nothing :|









an excellent video none the less :]

Guff 04-23-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 (Post 189906)
Ya I mean at least it's honest, but it sounded to me like he was saying "we know the power output and tires suck...fix these 'essential' features yourself...but of course when you slap in a turbo it will void your warranty."

100HP per Liter in a tiny package sounds pretty sweet to me... And tires you wouldn't feel guilty sliding around on...

Alfie 04-23-2012 08:21 PM

Thanks SUBARU and Toyota for making this happen!
If I don't pull the trigger on the '13 Boxster, Im getting a silver FR-S!

ft86Fan 04-23-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zAnSh1n (Post 189912)
seen it about a month ago... w/o the subtitles.

damn, i got all excited for nothing :|

an excellent video none the less :]

Why then you didn't post it. Thanks for nothing :lol:

Daemione 04-23-2012 08:48 PM

BRZ . . . handles so well you don't need to bother strapping it down when put on a roller dyno. :eek: :eek:

Lighting Red 04-23-2012 08:50 PM

Did you all notice during the video clip at the press introduction at Cannes, the presenter stated that the European model's drag coefficient is 0.27. I wonder what the US model's actual Cd is? I hope it is the same, because the engineer in me is really excited at such a great Cd rating. If not (read, worse), I wonder if we can get the underbody aerodynamic components to achieve the same number?

Regardless, if you couldn't tell how enthused the product managers and engineers were during their video portions, you are dead inside. That video was not only exciting to watch, but touching and inspiring as well.

I really cannot wait to get my BRZ!!

carbonBLUE 04-23-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighting Red (Post 189944)
Did you all notice during the video clip at the press introduction at Cannes, the presenter stated that the European model's drag coefficient is 0.27. I wonder what the US model's actual Cd is? I hope it is the same, because the engineer in me is really excited at such a great Cd rating. If not (read, worse), I wonder if we can get the underbody aerodynamic components to achieve the same number?

Regardless, if you couldn't tell how enthused the product managers and engineers were during their video portions, you are dead inside. That video was not only exciting to watch, but touching and inspiring as well.

I really cannot wait to get my BRZ!!

Cd is the total over/under/around airflow of the car, you could make the Cd better by making flat underbody panels :D

Guff 04-23-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighting Red (Post 189944)
Did you all notice during the video clip at the press introduction at Cannes, the presenter stated that the European model's drag coefficient is 0.27. I wonder what the US model's actual Cd is? I hope it is the same, because the engineer in me is really excited at such a great Cd rating. If not (read, worse), I wonder if we can get the underbody aerodynamic components to achieve the same number?

Regardless, if you couldn't tell how enthused the product managers and engineers were during their video portions, you are dead inside. That video was not only exciting to watch, but touching and inspiring as well.

I really cannot wait to get my BRZ!!

It is the same. It is 0.27 Cd with the wing everywhere.

VenomRush 04-23-2012 09:31 PM

fell in love with the car all over again

Subaruwrxfan 04-23-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 189884)
Also illustrated - how much chassis strength depends on the roof ;)

Lol, I actually laughed though when he said they made sure they reinforced the cars floor to ensure rigidity, although the roof is light, they did reinforce the floor already...but I'm not gonna drag that debate into this thread. :happy0180:

Lighting Red 04-23-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 189964)
Cd is the total over/under/around airflow of the car, you could make the Cd better by making flat underbody panels :D

Copy that, which is why I asked the question. I do recall reading somewhere on this forum - though I cannot remember the thread - that the US cars will not get some of the underbody panels the European and Japanese specification cars will get.

Guff is right; with the rear spoiler (I am reticent to call it a spoiler since it actually reduces drag) the car was/is advertised to get a Cd rating of 0.27. Of course, that was a couple of months ago, and manufactures specifications are subject to change prior to model release... yadda yadda yadda... You get it.

Again, that is why I inquired about the actual US specification with the "spoiler." Basically, I am wondering if my first mod. is going to be underbody aero-features.

MannyO 04-23-2012 10:13 PM

"America in particular had large stretches of rough roads."

:eyebulge: Worse than the cobblestone roads in Europe?

...now that I think about it, that guy might be right :bellyroll:

Guff 04-23-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyO (Post 189991)
"America in particular had large stretches of rough roads."

:eyebulge: Worse than the cobblestone roads in Europe?

...now that I think about it, that guy might be right :bellyroll:

We also have the most "large stretches of smooth roads"!

Lighting Red 04-23-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 189884)
Also illustrated - how much chassis strength depends on the roof ;)

People are going to believe what they are going to believe, evidence be damned. :iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 189884)
That strut diagram has me worried about Subaru. How many will go with tires 'as wide as fits' only to have them shredded through by the spring seat when tires flex under load?

I am sure people are going to throw spacers on hubs to try an get the widest wheels possible. No consideration for Scrub Radius will be given (looking at the diagram, it will possibly become more positive), and they may end up screwing the handling up. Not to mention increasing unsprung weight, which is almost never a good thing for sporting applications.

If I were hell-bent on getting grippier tires, I would just buy a higher quality compound and not screw up what is a very good suspension set-up from the factory.

Tyler 04-23-2012 10:46 PM

This makes me want it on a whole new level!!!

ashtray 04-24-2012 03:44 AM

While I love all the "new thinking" and completely redesigning everything - that's also a scary thought. They get one thing a little wrong and suddenly we're all just guineapigs for the next couple years. (I'm looking at BMW Z8, E46 M3, etc - basically learning about design flaws years down the line, at the cost of early adopters.)

Still though - I'm excited about it!

Enemies 04-24-2012 03:46 AM

If we were playing a drinking game, where you had to take a sip each time they mentioned how low the center of gravity was I would have been wasted after the first 3 minutes.

86design 04-24-2012 05:08 AM

very cool thanks for posting this beautiful info :D

ayau 04-24-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray (Post 190157)
While I love all the "new thinking" and completely redesigning everything - that's also a scary thought. They get one thing a little wrong and suddenly we're all just guineapigs for the next couple years. (I'm looking at BMW Z8, E46 M3, etc - basically learning about design flaws years down the line, at the cost of early adopters.)

Still though - I'm excited about it!

i don't think it's completely redesigned per se. it's more of an evolved impreza platform. take that for what it's worth.

Bristecom 04-24-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighting Red (Post 189986)
Copy that, which is why I asked the question. I do recall reading somewhere on this forum - though I cannot remember the thread - that the US cars will not get some of the underbody panels the European and Japanese specification cars will get.

Guff is right; with the rear spoiler (I am reticent to call it a spoiler since it actually reduces drag) the car was/is advertised to get a Cd rating of 0.27. Of course, that was a couple of months ago, and manufactures specifications are subject to change prior to model release... yadda yadda yadda... You get it.

Again, that is why I inquired about the actual US specification with the "spoiler." Basically, I am wondering if my first mod. is going to be underbody aero-features.

From what I've seen, the engine and transmission panel will be standard with both cars and I believe I saw an option somewhere for the other 4 underbody panels for Subaru. Obviously Scion hasn't revealed any options for their car yet so we'll see. I would definitely want the underbody panels though unless they are too expensive.

BTW, great video! I almost cried.

Bristecom 04-24-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray (Post 190157)
While I love all the "new thinking" and completely redesigning everything - that's also a scary thought. They get one thing a little wrong and suddenly we're all just guineapigs for the next couple years. (I'm looking at BMW Z8, E46 M3, etc - basically learning about design flaws years down the line, at the cost of early adopters.)

Still though - I'm excited about it!

It sounds like they gave it quite a bit of testing though. And as Ayau said, it's not all that unique. With the general information they've collected over the years, it's unlikely there will be any major issues.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.