![]() |
FR-S automatic transmission tuning
I have done a search and would like to know what kind of tuning can be done to the automatic FR-S. I am buying one and want to know what are my tuning options for the auto transmission.
Thanks |
Same things as a manual, but a little less power to the wheels in dyno results.
When researching I remember the auto is rated much higher than the stock M/T clutch. Meaning you should be able to push it with F/I even with little worry. Honestly, if I still had my auto I'd probably do a 4.5 gear swap (at *least*) - if you don't care about MPG that much that's probably the best mod you can do to an auto. I hated the tall gearing on 4th-6th but that just might be me :iono: |
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but as far as I know, no one has unlocked the TCU yet for actual transmission tuning. I expect great things to take place once they have control of shift firmness, converter lockup, etc. As of right now though, there's nothing available.
|
Tuning options for the automatic are pretty much identical to the manual. The only thing that will limit your aftermarket are certain parts that are offered for the 6 speed and not the automatic yet, i.e. turbo kits.
|
Quote:
|
What kind of improvements can we expect if the TCU was unlocked for tuning? I'm pretty happy with the AT functionality already
|
Quote:
And to everyone else posting about mods, I don't think he's talking about performance upgrades (turbos, exhaust, etc), I believe he means specifically tuning the transmission. I'm extremely happy with the AT's functionality as-is too, but in all my previous automatics (even the quick ones), modifying the TCU tables made notable improvements. Can bump up the shift firmness in sport mode, control how the converter engages, gear-by-gear shift points, etc, etc. I personally have an issue with third gear slipping (I drop ~200 RPM before it snaps back to where it should be on upshift or downshift into third at part throttle), so I've been waiting for this to see if it's an electronic engagement issue or something mechanical as two dealership's have given me the "operating as intended" line. |
Quote:
|
Yeah here's hoping. I was just shocked/dismayed at the "EcuTEK isn't pursuing this" post. If that's the case I've spent my money with the wrong tuning company. :\
|
Thanks for all the replies. I will just go ahead and get it dyno tuned next week at my speed shop.
Steve |
Quote:
For shift points... just move it to manual mode and control the shift points yourself. Building an auto trans: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18868 |
This is what they said after asking a few questions about the auto.
Also whats the plans for more features for the GT86 Automatic? Any kind of launch options? Transmission options? Currently the auto dis-engages at 7500 Rpms it would be nice if the software could dip into the transmission stuff a bit. - Thanks again Jeremy Hi Jeremy Thanks for the feedback and we value your input. Other customers have also asked for access to certain features in this way and we are bearing this in mind with future developments. We need to do some work with the 86 Auto so the LC works correctly , at this time we are waiting to get access to a vehicle so we can improve the operation to get the desired result. We have no plans to access the 86 TCM though Thanks Mervyn Quote:
|
Man, I was hoping someone would do a tranny ecu upgrade... Untapped market here guys!
|
Quote:
Anyone that's tuned a transmission controller on a standard converter automatic can attest to the improvements that can be made. F-bodies and mustangs are the ones I have experience with, and it's a notable enhancement. Even DSG/DCT transmissions can be improved upon software-only. As far as the shift points thing, yes we can shift manually but if you've logged the shift times, it's slower in manual mode then in automatic. It's not a massive difference, but a difference none-the-less when it can anticipate. Peak shifting isn't always ideal anyways due to gear spacing. Running first further past peak power to 8 puts you more optimally into the powerband in second, whereas second and third can be 7500, etc. Would just be added benefit if they could unlock it, but apparently the AT market isn't sufficient for them to invest the R&D required. |
From non-invasive options... Then yes, you would be limited to software. However, there really isn't much that is dependent on software.
For instance... on a DSG/DCT transmission... options from a hardware standpoint: Transmission Oil Cooler Upgraded Clutch material Etc. From a software standpoint... you have a variety of tunes. However all the tweaks tune is the following. Launch control (where RPM it holds at) Redline Removing software safety (limp mode when certain amount of torque is detected). Etc. The firmness of the shifting is not really impacted by the tuning. Also keep in mind the type of transmission that you are used to dealing with (F-bodies and older mustangs). If I am not mistaken, those transmissions determined the firmness of the shifting due to hydraulic pressure. Tuning on those was done by "tricking" the ECU (or TCU if there was a separate computer) into increasing the hydraulic pressure of the fluid. Thus creating a faster shift. This is my understanding anyways. This is a good source as this guy built something that tricks the hydraulic fluid pressure. It's may not be the same for the F-bodies and stuff you've built though. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177881 This is just my understanding though. Also not sure of what you're looking for in a "tune" though. If you're looking for increased firmness in regular "drive" mode (the kind of shift firmness you get in manual mode), then yeah, that's a tune issue. If you are looking for shift firmness in manual mode, then I don't think a tune will do much. Again, tha'ts just from my understanding though which could be incorrect. |
..
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4 |
..I would expect hacking the shifting time response in manual mode (from 200ms today to <150ms )
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4 |
I am quite shocked that we haven't seen more requests for this, especially from those that are FI. Shift points need to be adjusted to avoid hitting rev limiter while in full auto or manual mode. While raising rev limit may help, that fixes an issue vs fixing the problem. Shorter shift duration and slightly lower shift point would be ideal.
|
Quote:
I remember there was some high end transmission shop in NY who was asking for sample cars about a year ago to help develop mods for our cars. I think the real answer is there aren't enough of us who are asking for this, who have exceeded the capability of their existing units, or are willing to pay for the upgrades. I do think that most of performance upgrades possible for planetary gear-set / torque converter based transmissions are mostly mechanical in nature (solenoids, pumps, clutch packs...). That being said there's a link between the transmission's control unit and the motors. In another thread there was some discussion about the complexity of the interaction being a barrier to tuning the automatic in the FT86 platform cars There are a lot of companies who do high performance AT work for other platforms... http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/ http://sheptrans.com/ http://www.tciauto.com/ http://www.bmracing.com/ http://www.performanceautomatic.com/ ...eventually someone will start working on developing upgrades for the Toyota AA60E / Aisin TL-60SN 6-speed. As I'm a betting man, i would probably guess that SOMEONE, somewhere has to be working on this. |
Quote:
http://www.sspperformance.com/brz-fr...on-cooler.html Right they are in the works for a stage 3 valve body and clutch pack upgrades coming out soon :happyanim:. I can't wait to see what else they will be doing for the future. As for tuning i wish more options were available. But i guess the mechanical upgrades will be the way to go. @sspkris @Jason@DSG |
Quote:
That's just awesome. Finally this platform is starting to come into it's own. :w00t: |
The moto-east and likely other ecutek guys may have some small tweaks, likely done in engine ecu but effects auto shifting, see towards end of linked post below
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58425 |
Quote:
Keep the trans fluid fresh...... Change fluid every 20k - 30k.... You could add a trans cooler to keep the temps down and help the fluid to last.... I replaced the fluid with red line trans fluid, 6 qt of D6 and 2 qt of D4........ Just a touch thicker so firmer shifts and locks up harder and can resist more heat......... Get a flash for an auto not stick.... Need to tune for more torque........ |
I am using ssp TC and stage 3 + VB here
Good parts to hold boost more than 1 bar |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.