Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   shifter issue? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43612)

abutterman 08-06-2013 12:39 PM

shifter issue?
 
Since i got the car, the shifter has always had a very inconsistent feel to it. It'll sometimes go into gear nice and smooth but sometimes random gears will feel sloppy and notchy, often feeling like its rubbing against rocks. It will sometimes feel as if its getting stuck half way through the gate. There are times that it feels tight and precise and then there's times where it feels almost loose and disconnected. When it starts to slip up, first gear in particular may not go in all the way at a dead stop and 3rd feels like it's knocking all over the place and you can hear it hit as it goes in.

I've changed the transmission fluid twice, first to Amsoil 75w90 and then to Redline MTL which is currently in use

I had tried the Perrin rear shifter bushing which made shifting almost impossible and is now back to stock bushing

Extremely weighted shift knob (anarchy knob) helps to reduce the feeling of the issues but its still there

There is NO grinding at all during these extremely sloppy shifter movements. Even when it feels almost like it didn't go into gear properly i can continue to drive without any grind.

I'm trying to think of what to look at next and looked around through some google searches for any info. Is it possible the ball joint needs to be greased up more on the shifter? Like i said, sometimes it'll go into gear buttery smooth but often requires a few tries before it loses the notchiness.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

zoomzoomers 08-06-2013 12:42 PM

I have an AT so I'm just guessing here, but have you looked at your shifter? Or maybe thought about replacing your shifter w/ a short shifter that's available out there? I've had an instance, on a different car, where the ball bearings in the shifter linkage was bad and always made the shift feel inconsistant. It got solved when I changed the shifter out for a short shifter.

Also, do you know if the MT on our cars is a cable linkage type? If so you might want to see if the cable isn't being obstructed by something, which could cause you to feel what your feeling. Hope you get that resolved.

mikeTee 08-06-2013 12:46 PM

I'm having the exact same issue and I've thought about getting a heavier shift knob to remedy the problem. Also thought about changing the transmission fluid as some on the board have suggested. When I'm on the road and I try to shift gears and it won't enter the gate, I typically have to shift it back into neutral and reattempt the gear change before it'll go so I understand what you mean by "getting stuck half way".

whtchocla7e 08-06-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abutterman (Post 1122168)
Since i got the car, the shifter has always had a very inconsistent feel to it. It'll sometimes go into gear nice and smooth but sometimes random gears will feel sloppy and notchy, often feeling like its rubbing against rocks. It will sometimes feel as if its getting stuck half way through the gate. There are times that it feels tight and precise and then there's times where it feels almost loose and disconnected. When it starts to slip up, first gear in particular may not go in all the way at a dead stop and 3rd feels like it's knocking all over the place and you can hear it hit as it goes in.

There is NO grinding at all during these extremely sloppy shifter movements. Even when it feels almost like it didn't go into gear properly i can continue to drive without any grind.

Yes, yes, yes on all counts. I've taken my car in for a checkup and they couldn't find anything.

I've figured out a way to shift smoothly most of the time but it requires so much precise muscle movement... I can't do that when having a bad day or stress.. I'd like to be able to shift slow and effortlessly without the "rocky" feeling as you put it.

Watching this forum closely for possible solutions.

abutterman 08-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomzoomers (Post 1122181)
I have an AT so I'm just guessing here, but have you looked at your shifter? Or maybe thought about replacing your shifter w/ a short shifter that's available out there? I've had an instance, on a different car, where the ball bearings in the shifter linkage was bad and always made the shift feel inconsistant. It got solved when I changed the shifter out for a short shifter.

Also, do you know if the MT on our cars is a cable linkage type? If so you might want to see if the cable isn't being obstructed by something, which could cause you to feel what your feeling. Hope you get that resolved.

I was thinking about getting the kartboy shifter but if i go through the trouble of installing it and the problem's still there, if i was to bring it in to subaru to have it looked at, they'll probably be quick to blame the kartboy. If it is the bearings, i'd probably just have subaru replace it with another oem one

abutterman 08-06-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeTee (Post 1122194)
I'm having the exact same issue and I've thought about getting a heavier shift knob to remedy the problem. Also thought about changing the transmission fluid as some on the board have suggested. When I'm on the road and I try to shift gears and it won't enter the gate, I typically have to shift it back into neutral and reattempt the gear change before it'll go so I understand what you mean by "getting stuck half way".

the heavier knob definitely helps make it feel better but it's really just a bandaid. Mine weighs in at 670g which is crazy heavy and definitely makes it better but i can still feel the resistance at times. same thing for me... usually takes 2 tries for a smooth shift. i've actually tried just turning the car on and keep the brake on, hold the clutch in and move the shifter around and sometimes after the smooth 2nd try, it'll go back to crap. there's no real consistency to it

zoomzoomers 08-06-2013 01:17 PM

Hmm, seems the first thing you need to do is pinpoint where the problem might be coming from. It's either in the linkage chain somewhere or the transmission itself. I guess the best plan of attack is to take her into the dealer and see what they can find.

blanco 08-06-2013 01:24 PM

add me to the list of those issues.

whaap 08-06-2013 01:28 PM

I've not experienced that problem. I don't know if it's related or not but I do not shift 'quickly'. I shift like what I am, an old man!
:burnrubber:

tobin 08-06-2013 01:31 PM

I am having similar issues. I have had the car for about 1 month, ~1200 miles. I figured it was still getting broken in. If by 10,000 miles it still happens, that would be an issue. I also dislike the intermittent "thunk" when clutching in from neutral to 1st (I've read that new bushings would remedy this). But the shifter issue is generally 1st to 2nd, or Neutral to 1st. Sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Double clutching doesn't really seem to help much. Hoping it's just the car getting broken in.

abutterman 08-06-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaap (Post 1122349)
I've not experienced that problem. I don't know if it's related or not but I do not shift 'quickly'. I shift like what I am, an old man!
:burnrubber:

i actually notice it more if i shift slowly and with less force. I wish i could shift more casually and have it just sink in

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomzoomers (Post 1122310)
Hmm, seems the first thing you need to do is pinpoint where the problem might be coming from. It's either in the linkage chain somewhere or the transmission itself. I guess the best plan of attack is to take her into the dealer and see what they can find.

i'm starting to think it may be something in the linkage or the joint or something since the more race oriented Amsoil fluid didn't help and the thinner and usually super smooth redline mtl 70w80 helped here and there but the problem remains. That and with the perrin rear shifter bushing, it became more like a punching a brick wall feeling going into 3rd. It was kinda like it was hitting the edge of the gate or something before going in


might give it a go at the dealer but i doubt they'll do anything about it and just say there's nothing wrong with it. I actually told them i was having some trouble after the first 2 days of having the car and they told me that they felt the same thing on another one so "it must be normal" :sigh:

I could see it maybe being normal in the dead of winter but not in the middle of the summer when its 85 degrees outside. I test drove a manual impreza (was looking at the wrx and they dont like to test drive them) before i bought the brz while it was 20 degrees outside and it shifted like butter so there has to be a reason for it. and its probably something very simple

abutterman 08-06-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobin (Post 1122357)
I am having similar issues. I have had the car for about 1 month, ~1200 miles. I figured it was still getting broken in. If by 10,000 miles it still happens, that would be an issue. I also dislike the intermittent "thunk" when clutching in from neutral to 1st (I've read that new bushings would remedy this). But the shifter issue is generally 1st to 2nd, or Neutral to 1st. Sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Double clutching doesn't really seem to help much. Hoping it's just the car getting broken in.

i get the thunk from neutral to 1st probalby 90% of the time as well. I'm at around 4000 miles at this point with heavy stop and go driving so i'd assume if it was going to break in, it probably would've by now. if anything, it's gotten worse

uEih 08-06-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abutterman (Post 1122394)
i get the thunk from neutral to 1st probalby 90% of the time as well. I'm at around 4000 miles at this point with heavy stop and go driving so i'd assume if it was going to break in, it probably would've by now. if anything, it's gotten worse

Is the thunk before you get into gear? I sometimes feel and hear this too before going into first, it seems to sound right before entering first. It's not loud but noticeable and worries me.

Rayme 08-06-2013 02:09 PM

1,2,3 are triple synchro and shift quite "quick". The shifting "feel" in those gears are very RPM dependant.
4,5,6 are smoother, standard feeling.

The thunk when shifting from Neutral to first can be stopped by waiting a sec or so after releasing the clutch so the internals can slow down. It's the effect of the synchro abruptly stoping the input shaft from turning (the transmission needs to synchronise going from Neutral to 1st, not just between gears).

abutterman 08-06-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uEih (Post 1122459)
Is the thunk before you get into gear? I sometimes feel and hear this too before going into first, it seems to sound right before entering first. It's not loud but noticeable and worries me.

yea it feels like it's right as it goes in. doesn't matter how long i hold the clutch in.

zoomzoomers 08-06-2013 02:46 PM

What might help is to get your car up in the air and have someone row through the gears. That's how I was able to find that the bearing in the shifter linkage was the issue. Worked out for me as I was having the short shifter put in while doing it so it was just part of the procedure, but it helped a lot, mentally, finally knowing what the cause of the problem was.

CamryDS 08-06-2013 02:48 PM

all the problems everyone has described in this thread, i've experienced -- I've always thought it was just normal. I often second guess myself if i've pressed the clutch pedal all the way down, but now I know it's not just me.

hopefully this will get remedied soon.

zoomzoomers 08-06-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamryDS (Post 1122607)
all the problems everyone has described in this thread, i've experienced -- I've always thought it was just normal. I often second guess myself if i've pressed the clutch pedal all the way down, but now I know it's not just me.

hopefully this will get remedied soon.

If you and the others' description is correct, I highly doubt it has anything to do with your clutch. It would seem that it's either in the tranny itself or an issue somewhere down the linkage chain.

IRRC, cable linkage types can have these types of issue more so than rod linkage types. That's why I say get the car in the air to visually check to see the linkage at work. Might be a very simple kink in the cable or some sort of obstruction.

CamryDS 08-06-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomzoomers (Post 1122627)
If you and the others' description is correct, I highly doubt it has anything to do with your clutch. It would seem that it's either in the tranny itself or an issue somewhere down the linkage chain.

IRRC, cable linkage types can have these types of issue more so than rod linkage types. That's why I say get the car in the air to visually check to see the linkage at work. Might be a very simple kink in the cable or some sort of obstruction.

Definitely appreciate the feedback -- I'll try to get to that when i'm able to. Since I'm still learning about the mechanics of cars in general i'm not even quite sure what to look for.

I'll research and see if this can be quickly resolved.

zoomzoomers 08-06-2013 03:08 PM

Yeah, I'd hate to drive a car with a bad tranny action and feel. A bad transmission action and feel is what prompted me to sell my 2005 G35 coupe after only a year of ownership. IMO, the transmission is something you interface with every second you drive your car and if that doesn't feel right then you just won't have a good driving experience. If you DD and do a lot of bumper to bumper driving then it only goes to exagerate the issue even more.

So I feel you guys on the issues you're facing. Hopefully, you'll get this resolved in a hurry and get back to enjoying the car. :happy0180:

strat61caster 08-06-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomzoomers (Post 1122627)
IRRC, cable linkage types can have these types of issue more so than rod linkage types. That's why I say get the car in the air to visually check to see the linkage at work. Might be a very simple kink in the cable or some sort of obstruction.

Most RWD vehicles don't have a cable linkage, that's a necessity for FWD cars. Below are pics and sketches of our tranny.

http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress....ansmission.gif

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...n-or-is-scion/

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1330656949

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...7&d=1324164055

In regards to the OP, I agree that the transmission is a bit inconsistent, sometimes rough, sometimes butter, 1st-3rd are definitely rougher. I played with a buddies WRX and it was surprisingly similar (although our transmission is definitely mostly Toyota). It's an unrefined sports car, as long as stuff isn't making awful gear destroying noises it's probably fine. Maybe see if you can get a test drive in another one to compare.

abutterman 08-06-2013 05:43 PM

i may try greasing up that joint where the shifter handle connects up front. I've seen similar posts in other forums for various cars and people said they greased it up better and it made a big difference. I figure it might be worth trying.

Anyone have a short shifter that can comment on whether or not it made a difference with this problem? I know the kartboy specifically has a better bearing at that bottom joint and i'm curious if something like that helps this particular annoyance

Ozzman 08-06-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abutterman (Post 1122570)
yea it feels like it's right as it goes in. doesn't matter how long i hold the clutch in.

If the thunk still occurs after completely depressing the clutch for 3 seconds or more, then the transmission isn't being completely decoupled from the engine, either the clutch isn't fully disengaging or the pilot bearing has too much friction. If you have this symptom and inconsistent notchy shifting, the two may have a related cause.

abutterman 08-06-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzman (Post 1123451)
If the thunk still occurs after completely depressing the clutch for 3 seconds or more, then the transmission isn't being completely decoupled from the engine, either the clutch isn't fully disengaging or the pilot bearing has too much friction. If you have this symptom and inconsistent notchy shifting, the two may have a related cause.

hmm good call. i'll try to pay attention to it on my way to work in the morning and see how many times it has the thunk. It's a painful stop and go commute so i'll have plenty of chances to see. I wonder if it's got an air bubble in the line or something? I have noticed that once it gets a real rough shift it seems to stay that way for a while and then eventually gets a bit better as if something's settling out

coolaron 08-06-2013 08:57 PM

Because sports car :)

Search google about 'triple synchro'

Mango22 08-06-2013 09:20 PM

Originally I test drove a manual trans and felt it was exactly like you described, notchey metal rubbing against Rocks feeling. i hated it and thought something was wrong with the shifter, not even addressing the clutch pedal engagement point. so, when I placed my order I suffered with the thought of ordering the automatic version but didn't want the manual I just test drove. I ended up ordering the auto version (because all of the auto mag journalist positive reviews) and have really enjoyed the transmission. I think the manual mode/sport button/ paddle shifters are great.

But....I tested a fellow BRZ owners manual transmission, who had switched out his shifter internals and he also adjusted the clutch pedal catch point and it was extremely smooth, fluid and tight and also great clutch feel. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have ordered the manual trans and replaced the shifter parts and adjusted the pedal, for the incredible feel of engagement.

Still love my manumatic though. No regrets, just like both transmission versions now.

abutterman 08-06-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1123663)
Originally I test drove a manual trans and felt it was exactly like you described, notchey metal rubbing against Rocks feeling. i hated it and thought something was wrong with the shifter, not even addressing the clutch pedal engagement point. so, when I placed my order I suffered with the thought of ordering the automatic version but didn't want the manual I just test drove. I ended up ordering the auto version (because all of the journalistic positive reviews) and have really enjoyed the transmission. I think the manual /sport button/ paddle shifters are great.

But....I tested a fellow BRZ owners manual transmission, who had switched out his shifter internals and he also adjusted the clutch pedal catch point and it was extremely smooth and fluid and great clutch feel. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have ordered the manual trans and replaced the shifter parts and adjusted the pedal, for the incredible feel of engagement.

Still love my manumatic though.


What parts did he switch out? short shifter?

Mango22 08-06-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abutterman (Post 1123696)
What parts did he switch out? short shifter?

Yeah, I'm looking for his profile now and will post link when found

Update: Okay maybe someone can help me, I know the person I'm referencing is named Leon(sic). He owns a GBS BRZ, w/ a front black grill/screen mod. He owns three cars and at one time posted them for sale on the car classified section (BRZ, WRX, and a Acura ?) anyhow, I thought his forum name was Dark Sunrise or Sunshine but I think I might be mistaken. Anyhow, please buzz in if you know his screen name. I'm exhausted w/ searching all the sub categories. Thx

PMPB 08-06-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1123708)
Yeah, I'm looking for his profile now and will post link when found

Update: Okay maybe someone can help me, I know the person I'm referencing is named Leon(sic). He owns a GBS BRZ, w/ a front black grill/screen mod. He owns three cars and at one time posted them for sale on the car classified section (BRZ, WRX, and a Acura ?) anyhow, I thought his forum name was Dark Sunrise or Sunshine but I think I might be mistaken. Anyhow, please buzz in if you know his screen name. I'm exhausted w/ searching all the sub categories. Thx

@Mango22; is this the advert you were referring to? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32646

OrbitalEllipses 08-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1123708)
Yeah, I'm looking for his profile now and will post link when found

Update: Okay maybe someone can help me, I know the person I'm referencing is named Leon(sic). He owns a GBS BRZ, w/ a front black grill/screen mod. He owns three cars and at one time posted them for sale on the car classified section (BRZ, WRX, and a Acura ?) anyhow, I thought his forum name was Dark Sunrise or Sunshine but I think I might be mistaken. Anyhow, please buzz in if you know his screen name. I'm exhausted w/ searching all the sub categories. Thx

@xn7485. GBS BRZ from the Mid-Atlantic region. We all had a chance to drive the car at the P-Tuning meet.

You came with your brother, right Mango?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMPB (Post 1123946)
@Mango22; is this the advert you were referring to? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32646

Indeed, that's Leon. Got to it before I did.

Mango22 08-06-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 1123955)
@xn7485. GBS BRZ from the Mid-Atlantic region. We all had a chance to drive the car at the P-Tuning meet.

You came with your brother, right Mango?



Indeed, that's Leon. Got to it before I did.



Yeah, thanks to both of you for chiming in. That's the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.

OrbitalEllipses 08-06-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1124085)
Yeah, thanks for both of you chiming in. Thats the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.

Honestly, these boxes are very different from car to car. I've had a few people describe mine was "smoother" than theirs. For instance, @thejevans FR-S had the exact same mods as my BRZ several thousand dollars ago and our shifters felt COMPLETELY different. Stock fluid, stock clutch pedal adjustment, different brand of rear shifter bushing (cmon, they're the same thing...), only I had less miles. The boxes are inconsistent from car to car is my deduction. Coupled with tolerances in bearings (pilot etc.) I'm sure that's accounting for some of our issues.

PMPB 08-07-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1124085)
Yeah, thanks to both of you for chiming in. That's the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.

This is supervillain levels of creeping... but looking through his posts, he posted under the Whiteline Positive Shifter Kit DIY. Maybe he installed that one?

Chee-Hu 08-07-2013 12:30 PM

My car feels that same when shifting. It does shift smooth more than it shifts rough. I just always thought it was normal as nothing seems to sound like they're grinding. The car has 125xx miles.

abutterman 08-07-2013 01:06 PM

of course today no matter what i do i can't get the thunk to happen. it did have some moments though where it would be shifting more or less smooth and then all of a sudden id go 1-2 and 2nd and it felt aweful and then 2-3 sounded like it knocked into something. all the sounds come from the shifter itself. like metal hitting metal right at the base of the shifter

Mango22 08-07-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMPB (Post 1124463)
This is supervillain levels of creeping... but looking through his posts, he posted under the Whiteline Positive Shifter Kit DIY. Maybe he installed that one?

So I PM'd Leon and asked him to respond on this thread about his shifter mods.
He was offline so I'm not sure when he will respond.

mikeTee 08-07-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1126463)
So I PM'd Leon and asked him to respond on this thread about his shifter mods.
He was offline so I'm not sure when he will respond.

Keep us in the loop. :)

Mango22 08-07-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeTee (Post 1126470)
Keep us in the loop. :)

I sent Leon the link to this thread page so he should respond directly but if he just PMs me I'll follow up here.

xn7485 08-07-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango22 (Post 1124085)
Yeah, thanks to both of you for chiming in. That's the right person. But looking over his mods for his BRZ I don't see any shifter mods other than the trans and diff fluid changes which I'm sure made a difference but I could have sworn Leon said he replaced/upgraded some of the shifter parts. He might have been referring to his WRZ because we were discussing that at the same time, since I was considering possibly buying it. Anyhow, someone interested might want to reach out to him and see if he did change anything with his BRZ shifter. All I remember is it felt perfect and made me envious. Anyhow, Leon is a really nice guy and has a fantastic driving BRZ, lucky bastard.

You would be correct here, the only changes I've made to my transmission is clutch engagement point, trans, & diff fluid. It was the WRX where I replaced the Universal Shifter Joint that fixed sloppy shift. Since the cars in question are fairly new, this shouldn't be the fix to the problem.

I still do notice a little notchiness with a cold trans, but once it warms up, Redline MT-90 does a great job. I may switch over to that Pentosin everyone was talking about next time to test it out. @Sargy has it in his, wonder if that helps.

Sargy 08-08-2013 10:57 PM

Everything smooth on my end for the last 13k miles

Pentosin trans and motul diff


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.