Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video: HKS 86 drift car + first 86/FR-S/BRZ dyno = 170 rwhp!!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3416)

madfast 01-23-2012 03:39 AM

Video: HKS 86 drift car + first 86/FR-S/BRZ dyno = 170 rwhp!!!
 
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/first/top2.jpg
Feature on FT86CLUB Homepage


-172 PS!!! (170rwhp)
-open deck block
-is that... FB20 style offset con rods?


[u2b]sisOFi5gRYk[/u2b]



Capture by WingsofWar:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1327385988
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1327449606

pkptd447 01-23-2012 03:55 AM

now im even more reassured that silver with black wheels is the way to go

Jordo! 01-23-2012 05:02 AM

14% drive train losses huh? That's pretty good, but I bet a bit optimistic...

Then again, they may have underrated the motor too...

Be interesting to see what the auto puts down -- with full lock up, drive train losses should be equivalent (it is on the 370Z).

Harinjo 01-23-2012 07:37 AM

172whp would be pretty good -
my S14 SR20DET got 165whp (212hp on the crank)

Jordo! 01-23-2012 04:41 PM

Well, all I know is, if those numbers are reliable, given my own power:weight goals for the car (assuming I end up buying one, which I probably will), I will want to add another 70+ whp (a 40%+ gain).

Do-able if they keep to their alleged plan of releasing either a SC'd version or kit...

I was expecting it to put down 160 at best, so that's 10-12 less whp I'd have to chase after :-p

Syldrin 01-23-2012 04:47 PM

love it love it love. 170 from the factory in a super light car. like harinjo i've been expecting 160whp from this thing this is great news. i bet a 200whp is easily obtained. i just hope we can some more torque out of this guy.

edit: arent japanese emisison regulations less strict than the US? and don't they have better gas then the US? if so i am willing to bet the scion will put 155-160 down

SUB-FT86 01-23-2012 05:55 PM

Its actually 170 whp in our measurements which is 15% like I anticipated. Where is the torque?

SUB-FT86 01-23-2012 06:11 PM

Did anybody notice the blinking engine light?

Syldrin 01-23-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfawishes (Post 120092)
wow, OPEN DECK? yuk

open deck isnt always that bad. the 2AZ-FE is an open deck and people have made over 1000hp with it.

slizoth 01-23-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 (Post 120086)
Did anybody notice the blinking engine light?

I look forward to the day we ditch the engine lights all together and just show the error code/description on an LCD read out.

TylerLieberman 01-23-2012 06:52 PM

Taniguchis back? badass

WingsofWar 01-23-2012 06:53 PM

hmmm open deck......

may need to reevaluate my plans slightly.

I was hoping for semi-closed originally.wasnt plan on doing some sleeving.

Longhorn248 01-23-2012 06:58 PM

Not too shabby, should be able to get close to 200 whp with bolt ons.

rosuhere 01-23-2012 06:58 PM

awesome video, thanks for the up !!

TRD_07 01-23-2012 07:02 PM

Wow, this is really awesome!!:burnrubber:

tripjammer 01-23-2012 07:04 PM

Yeah its open deck but this engine was not meant to be turbo charged anyways right?

Also is not the JDM 86 quoted at 197HP and the NA FR-S at 200HP?

Itgb 01-23-2012 07:07 PM

Isn't the US version supposed to have +3hp(full 200hp, not 200PS) due to less restrictive exhaust? In that case, US dynos may end up even higher. :party0030:

WingsofWar 01-23-2012 07:09 PM

im still more interested in the TQ curve than peak hp

smadasam 01-23-2012 07:16 PM

I don't know why people are whining so much about open deck. I think there are some cooling advantages. Besides we aren't really talking about a lot of power. I have an open deck ej205 (built) that puts down a reliable 330 whp for the last few years. That block can handle much more than that.

Mr.Jay 01-23-2012 07:23 PM

I was expecting more like 160whp so this is good news


Nooo open deck. Darton sleeves if I do end up chasing big power I guess.

Don't think it will be a problem tho I am only aimming for 200-220 to the wheels since I got other stuff that my money will be going too

gal1950 01-23-2012 07:23 PM

Modification of Boxer 4
 
Good luck with getting more horsepower out of this engine without turbo charging it. I have owned 25 Subaru's with 1.8- 2.5 N/A and Turbo Boxer engines, and increasing horsepower and torque, other than turbocharging, is not easy to do. Most think by putting exhaust and cold air intake system that this will achieve the performance you want. With most engines it might be the case, but not with the Boxer N/A engine. This is the same engine type, that is now found in the new Impreza 2012, which puts out only 148 hp, and about 145 torque. Subaru has worked on this engine, to achieve 170 hp and about 152 torque, so other than turbo, or supercharging this engine, I wouldn't suspect to much more left, without expensive engine modification. Also most N/A Boxer engines stock will only allow you do achieve more hp and torque with low Turbo PSI 4-6, more than that, the internals will not last. I have heard that Subaru expects to a Turbo for the BRZ, but haven't heard anything for the FR-S. But your typical bolt ons don't respond the same way as with other 4 cylinder engines.

blacknbean 01-23-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsofWar (Post 120133)
im still more interested in the TQ curve than peak hp

x2

Nurburgring 01-23-2012 07:28 PM

Either some of the measurements are going well over stock redline (8000rpms+) or the numbers given by Toyota (200ps@7000rpms, 151lb-ft@6600rpms) simply donīt match at all with the dyno results. I`m guessing the first option is correct.
Also, there is quite a bit of dispersion on those different meassurements, some showing as low as 150whp.

Dragonitti 01-23-2012 07:32 PM

Very nice. I was expecting 160 also.

catharsis 01-23-2012 07:33 PM

Welp its certainly low on power. Doesn't look like the motor is underrated. Certainly hope this motor has some breathing room.

merlin2111 01-23-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catharsis (Post 120152)
Welp its certainly low on power. Doesn't look like the motor is underrated. Certainly hope this motor has some breathing room.

What were you expecting? 200hp with 170hp to the wheels is pretty darn good.

catharsis 01-23-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurburgring (Post 120147)
Either some of the measurements are going well over stock redline (8000rpms+) or the numbers given by Toyota (200ps@7000rpms, 151lb-ft@6600rpms) simply donīt match at all with the dyno results. I`m guessing the first option is correct.
Also, there is quite a bit of dispersion on those different meassurements, some showing as low as 150whp.

In the video they shifted at 7800 rpm. I don't really understand what you are ranting about. I think higher reading dynos will clock this in at 170, and lower ones at 160. Nothing below that. How can you expect to lose 50hp to the wheels? That's a ridiculous amount of power loss.

catharsis 01-23-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin2111 (Post 120154)
What were you expecting? 200hp with 170hp to the wheels is pretty darn good.

I mean it is what I expected. 170 is acceptable, 180 would have been impressive.

Gearbanger 01-23-2012 07:41 PM

Wow that's weak. NA cars dont respond well to bolt ons. My wife's Camry has more whp.

merlin2111 01-23-2012 07:43 PM

Looks like the hp/weight will be similar to my NA Miata which is no drag queen but can get my 215 star specs sideways at will around corners. This car will be a great replacement just with a warranty!

merlin2111 01-23-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbanger (Post 120162)
Wow that's weak. NA cars dont respond well to bolt ons. My wife's Camry has more whp.

:dnftt:

MiguelAE86 01-23-2012 07:45 PM

Anyone notice the nifty shift-sound indicator? that's AWESOME! :D toyota's paying attention to the details!

catharsis 01-23-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbanger (Post 120162)
Wow that's weak. NA cars dont respond well to bolt ons. My wife's Camry has more whp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin2111 (Post 120167)
:dnftt:

He's right, if his wife has the v6 camry it will smoke this thing. This car won't be fast by any measure...

illmatic 01-23-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 (Post 120168)
Anyone notice the nifty shift-sound indicator? that's AWESOME! :D toyota's paying attention to the details!

Actually, that feature has been standard since the 2001(GDB) WRX STi.

WingsofWar 01-23-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadasam (Post 120141)
I don't know why people are whining so much about open deck. I think there are some cooling advantages. Besides we aren't really talking about a lot of power. I have an open deck ej205 (built) that puts down a reliable 330 whp for the last few years. That block can handle much more than that.

i don't mind open deck there are some perks, but im just a bit surprised! especially considering vs your open deck ej205.

-the FA20 has 12.5c/r vs your 8.1c/r. (less volumetric pressure on cylinder walls)
-D4-S which naturally runs leaner and combustion temps are much hotter
-86x86 vs 92x75 (RPM vibrations)

big thing i was worried about was long term wear and fatigue without additional the structuring. i was expecting semi-closed deck. not a fully closed deck.


Quote:

Originally Posted by gal1950 (Post 120145)
Good luck with getting more horsepower out of this engine without turbo charging it. I have owned 25 Subaru's with 1.8- 2.5 N/A and Turbo Boxer engines, and increasing horsepower and torque, other than turbocharging, is not easy to do. Most think by putting exhaust and cold air intake system that this will achieve the performance you want. With most engines it might be the case, but not with the Boxer N/A engine. This is the same engine type, that is now found in the new Impreza 2012, which puts out only 148 hp, and about 145 torque. Subaru has worked on this engine, to achieve 170 hp and about 152 torque, so other than turbo, or supercharging this engine, I wouldn't suspect to much more left, without expensive engine modification. Also most N/A Boxer engines stock will only allow you do achieve more hp and torque with low Turbo PSI 4-6, more than that, the internals will not last. I have heard that Subaru expects to a Turbo for the BRZ, but haven't heard anything for the FR-S. But your typical bolt ons don't respond the same way as with other 4 cylinder engines.

FB not same structure as FA
lurk more

Calum 01-23-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsofWar (Post 120133)
im still more interested in the TQ curve than peak hp

Tq=Hp*RPM/5252

They show the Horsepower curve, you can figure out the tq from there if you need to so badly.

WingsofWar 01-23-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 120180)
Tq=Hp*RPM/5252

They show the Horsepower curve, you can figure out the tq from there if you need to so badly.

formula for peak tq..not same as looking at tq graph.

Calum 01-23-2012 07:56 PM

Did anyone notice the size of the intake and exhaust ports? That alone tells me the head should be capable of flowing well.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.