Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   FRS300 Rebuild Has Begun..Blown Motor to Built Monster (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34073)

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 12:46 AM

FRS300 Rebuild Has Begun..Blown Motor to Built Monster
 
Well as most of you already know frs300 suffered a tragic engine failure shortly after the installation of his Full Blown turbo kit. What we are doing is documenting the rebuild process to get him back up and running over the next few weeks.

We had the car shipped to us and shortly afterwards inspected the original installation before pulling the motor to access the total damage.

he has a nice parking spot this week next to the GHOST im working on and tuning later this week. Good company LOL.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...psac766f3f.jpg[/URL]

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...psfe3e2e3a.jpg[/URL]

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 12:47 AM

OLD MOTOR OUT
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...psd0af9fa7.jpg[/URL]

NEW SHORT BLOCK ARRIVED
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36018937.jpg[/URL]

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9573f0ed.jpg[/URL]

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 12:49 AM

TUCKED AWAY NICELY BY THE BODY GUARDS
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0c51be88.jpg

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 12:53 AM

INSPECTION OF DAMAGE
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...pse2d16160.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa04880a.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0940b05.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...psdac759a7.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps76a519eb.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1d1511be.jpg

NET RESULT 3 BUSTED RODS :(

tjdiz92 04-18-2013 12:55 AM

Any word on what caused it?

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 01:00 AM

honestly i want to keep this thread about the build the old thread will be open to continue discussing the damage and potential causes. ill post any findings there but i already looked over the install and everything seemed fine. wastegate spring was correct and vacuum routing was fine when the car arrived here. so as far as a boost spike i dont see that being valid from the condition i received the vehicle.

Tansey86 04-18-2013 01:03 AM

Specs on new motor? Or just a new one without a boost spike this time lol

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 01:28 AM

new pics coming on the built motor and head

SmsAlSuwaidi 04-18-2013 03:01 AM

Low pres pistons +rods maybe ..... Please say yes :(

husker741 04-18-2013 03:13 AM

Wow, pretty impressed with what you guys are doing to help him out. Some companies would just say that it's not their problem, but you guys are going over and above what I expected. Kudos to your company. I will definitely look into your turbo set up, even moreso than before, when I decide to go FI. Someone I know here in Omaha has an S2000 tuned by you guys, and now I can see why he trusts driving his car there and back from Omaha.

Bonburner 04-18-2013 03:45 AM

can u provide the old thread u mentioned?

EAGLE5 04-18-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 874131)
can u provide the old thread u mentioned?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32404 I believe.

EAGLE5 04-18-2013 04:21 AM

The pics of that bottom end look much like my bottom end after some bad shellfish. It burns!

lexusb3 04-18-2013 07:12 AM

Good luck with the build I'm excited for the results

charged86 04-18-2013 07:38 AM

$$$$$$$$$$

Freude am Fahren 04-18-2013 07:54 AM

I assume the new build will use all of the existing Full Blown kit (if it's not damaged)?

2forme 04-18-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 874109)
Wow, pretty impressed with what you guys are doing to help him out. Some companies would just say that it's not their problem, but you guys are going over and above what I expected. Kudos to your company. I will definitely look into your turbo set up, even moreso than before, when I decide to go FI. Someone I know here in Omaha has an S2000 tuned by you guys, and now I can see why he trusts driving his car there and back from Omaha.

.... he's (FRS300) paying for it all....

leon78 04-18-2013 08:06 AM

In for Win on this build!

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 874109)
Wow, pretty impressed with what you guys are doing to help him out. Some companies would just say that it's not their problem, but you guys are going over and above what I expected. Kudos to your company. I will definitely look into your turbo set up, even moreso than before, when I decide to go FI. Someone I know here in Omaha has an S2000 tuned by you guys, and now I can see why he trusts driving his car there and back from Omaha.

sorry i guess there is a bit of confusion. Brandon is paying for the repairs and this was not our kit on the car originally. we offered to help out in the situation since he was somewhat local to us and the situation seemed bad so i offered some assistance to get him back up and running.

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren (Post 874265)
I assume the new build will use all of the existing Full Blown kit (if it's not damaged)?

yes the existing kit will be reused i might tweak a few things before i reinstall it back on the car if anything comes to mind. kit seems solid from glancing at it but we just yanked it off pretty fast since we were showered with oil when we unbolted the header with about 1.5 quarts of oil in the damn manifold.

feldy 04-18-2013 09:28 AM

Can't wait to see more pics. Question is he moving on to a fa20 turbo or staying full blown? Also in my best fast 2 furious voice"
Evo.. When did you get a evo?"

Nevermind turbo question answered.

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 09:34 AM

the motor is being assembled inhouse by us and the car will be tuned by us when the work is completed.

Sportsguy83 04-18-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren (Post 874265)
I assume the new build will use all of the existing Full Blown kit (if it's not damaged)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FA20Club.com (Post 874378)
yes the existing kit will be reused

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldy (Post 874390)
Can't wait to see more pics. Question is he moving on to a fa20 turbo or staying full blown?

@feldy, See above.

dabocx 04-18-2013 10:01 AM

So whats the cost of building it and reinstalling?

FA20Club.com 04-18-2013 10:07 AM

the price brandon is paying is probably not indicative of what someone else would pay. simple because the damage that was to done to his engine warranted more parts be replaced than normally would need be in a engine build.

Frs300 04-18-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FA20Club.com (Post 874378)
kit seems solid from glancing at it but we just yanked it off pretty fast since we were showered with oil when we unbolted the header with about 1.5 quarts of oil in the damn manifold.


my poor AMSoil

let me know when you get the ferrea valves from fbm

Frs300 04-18-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabocx (Post 874445)
So whats the cost of building it and reinstalling?

under $10k

King Tut 04-18-2013 10:30 AM

I can't wait to see the results of this.

Frs300 04-18-2013 10:37 AM

anyone seen any fa20 built motor numbers?

HunterGreene 04-18-2013 10:42 AM

I'm in watching this to see the potential, and to learn a bit more about our cars. Thanks for the thread!

King Tut 04-18-2013 10:43 AM

I was not aware of anyone running a motor with lower compression pistons yet. I think there was a guy in Texas with an Accelerated kit that was putting pistons in, but I haven't seen him post recently. Full Blown is waiting to blow theirs up to install pistons. I have definitely considered just swapping in lower compression pistsons and rods to get some more power.

Sportsguy83 04-18-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 874566)
I was not aware of anyone running a motor with lower compression pistons yet. I think there was a guy in Texas with an Accelerated kit that was putting pistons in, but I haven't seen him post recently. Full Blown is waiting to blow theirs up to install pistons. I have definitely considered just swapping in lower compression pistsons and rods to get some more power.

Crawford is too.

JoeBoxer 04-18-2013 10:49 AM

Accelerated is up to 750hp now...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frs300 (Post 874548)
anyone seen any fa20 built motor numbers?


Frs300 04-18-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBoxer (Post 874588)
Accelerated is up to 750hp now...

i thought that was on a stock motor though?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansey86 (Post 873944)
Specs on new motor? Or just a new one without a boost spike this time lol


FA20 Block
Ferrea valve train
Carrillo H Beam Rods
CP 10:1 CR Pistons
Stock Cams
New Heads
Bearings
Gaskets


everything is new except the cams and crank

Tansey86 04-18-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frs300 (Post 874594)
i thought that was on a stock motor though?





FA20 Block
Ferrea valve train
Carrillo H Beam Rods
CP 10:1 CR Pistons
Stock Cams
New Heads
Bearings
Gaskets


everything is new except the cams and crank

Any details about the valve train? I didn't know that it was available yet

King Tut 04-18-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansey86 (Post 874647)
Any details about the valve train? I didn't know that it was available yet

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24283

Tansey86 04-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 874697)

Yeah, I saw that. I was looking for a link to the specifics - price, max rpm limit etc

feldy 04-18-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 874430)
@feldy, See above.


Thanks I had already seen the answer and it was in my post that I said never mind. :)

Frs300 04-18-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansey86 (Post 874714)
Yeah, I saw that. I was looking for a link to the specifics - price, max rpm limit etc

They mention the valve train on the website but they dont have any specs or anything that i was able to find. As of right now they are making them as orders are placed. I paid $900 for valves, springs, guides, locks, retainers and springs but there is a 3-4 week wait to make the valves. I didnt feel like waiting so i ordered just the valves from someone else.

husker741 04-18-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FA20Club.com (Post 874370)
sorry i guess there is a bit of confusion. Brandon is paying for the repairs and this was not our kit on the car originally. we offered to help out in the situation since he was somewhat local to us and the situation seemed bad so i offered some assistance to get him back up and running.

Haha oops. That was late last night and I guess I just thought you guys were Full Blown because that was his turbo he got. I so stupid. I need to start getting to bed earlier.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.