Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Minnesota Check In (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3379)

neutron256 01-20-2012 10:12 AM

Minnesota Check In
 
So who else here is from Minnesota?

I'm in Minneapolis, I'm set on buying either the FR-S or the BRZ. Price and features will help me make that decision once they are announced.

Availability may be a deciding factor as well. Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm crazy for wanting to buy a rear wheel drive car in MN, but as far as I'm concerned good snow tires and knowing how to drive fix that problem.

ayau 01-20-2012 11:49 AM

MN crew checking in. I'm pretty much set on the BRZ Limited, and I plan on only driving this car when there's snow.

Chupacabra 01-24-2012 09:45 AM

South Metro, I will be getting the FR-S.

On the topic of snow tires, I have a set for my tC which would be able to bolt-on except they are 15". I'm unsure if they will clear the brakes, so I will probably just buy a beater.

neutron256 01-24-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 120472)
South Metro, I will be getting the FR-S.

On the topic of snow tires, I have a set for my tC which would be able to bolt-on except they are 15". I'm unsure if they will clear the brakes, so I will probably just buy a beater.

I was hoping I would be able to re-use the snow tires/wheels form my CR-Z which I'll be trading in for the FR-S but that was really just a pipe dream and looks like it's not going to work.

I'll probably try and pickup a cheap set of compatable wheels on Craigslist and have sensors and Blizzaks mounted.

Chupacabra 01-24-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 120502)
I was hoping I would be able to re-use the snow tires/wheels form my CR-Z which I'll be trading in for the FR-S but that was really just a pipe dream and looks like it's not going to work.

I'll probably try and pickup a cheap set of compatable wheels on Craigslist and have sensors and Blizzaks mounted.

The CR-Z is such a trick car to own!

I would say don't bother with the wheel sensors unless you get a really good deal. Per tire, Toyota's wheel sensors are incredibly expensive ($125 each) and I'm unsure about the cost of the Subaru's.

neutron256 01-24-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 120556)
The CR-Z is such a trick car to own!

I would say don't bother with the wheel sensors unless you get a really good deal. Per tire, Toyota's wheel sensors are incredibly expensive ($125 each) and I'm unsure about the cost of the Subaru's.


Well it will depend on what effects not having wheel sensors has on the car. If it's just a light that comes one (the angry fishbowl as my wife described it to me once) then I don't mind not having them. If however it's like my CR-Z then I've got to get them. In the CR-Z if there is a TPMS problem (like missing sensors) then it turns on three different lights, the information display turns orange and warns you every time you start the car, and it won't let you disable traction control.

Chupacabra 01-24-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 120653)
Well it will depend on what effects not having wheel sensors has on the car. If it's just a light that comes one (the angry fishbowl as my wife described it to me once) then I don't mind not having them. If however it's like my CR-Z then I've got to get them. In the CR-Z if there is a TPMS problem (like missing sensors) then it turns on three different lights, the information display turns orange and warns you every time you start the car, and it won't let you disable traction control.

Wow...Honda overkill! The sensor on mine looks (as your wife says) like the angry fishbowl. I'd recommend just rolling without TPMS, it shouldn't affect anything else in the car.

Maybe the CR-Z does that because of the hybrid system measuring inbound energy via wheel rotation???

neutron256 01-24-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 120731)
Wow...Honda overkill! The sensor on mine looks (as your wife says) like the angry fishbowl. I'd recommend just rolling without TPMS, it shouldn't affect anything else in the car.

Maybe the CR-Z does that because of the hybrid system measuring inbound energy via wheel rotation???

I think it's honda in general. I know the newer Fits with traction control do the same thing.

I will be very happy if the BRZ just gives me unobtrusive warning light.

Chupacabra 01-25-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 120987)
I think it's honda in general. I know the newer Fits with traction control do the same thing.

I will be very happy if the BRZ just gives me unobtrusive warning light.

I hope so too.

So are you undecided between the BRZ and FR-S?

neutron256 01-25-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 120995)
I hope so too.

So are you undecided between the BRZ and FR-S?

Yeah I'm leaning towards the BRZ but I won't make up my mind until I can actually go to a dealership and buy one or at least give them a downpayment to reserve one.

I might contact one of the local dealerships. Sounds like some people have been able to do that.

Chupacabra 01-25-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 121404)
Yeah I'm leaning towards the BRZ but I won't make up my mind until I can actually go to a dealership and buy one or at least give them a downpayment to reserve one.

I might contact one of the local dealerships. Sounds like some people have been able to do that.

I went to Burnsville Toyota for mine, it's where I bought my tC from and I have always had great service there. I thought about the BRZ but like the idea of being just a smidge closer to the Toyota side of things.

Also, I don't think MN will be fair to either car long term; but it will probably be less kind to a non-AWD Subaru that commands a premium. The loyalists who normally buy Subaru will probably not understand why you bought an amazing car, whereas the Scion they won't even bother trying to discuss it.

For Subaru dealers, it's a toss-up to whomever is closest. For me, Walser Subaru in Burnsville has told me they are holding deposits for the BRZ.

ayau 01-26-2012 12:04 AM

I think I'll order my BRZ from the Brooklyn Park Subaru dealer.

I'm also currently selling my 2010 Honda Fit 5 speed if anyone is interested.

Gates311 01-26-2012 12:57 AM

Western suburbs here. Definitely looking to get one. Love this car!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6...dd37ab8f37.jpg
Want. Can't wait for these cars #FRS #FT86 by Gates311, on Flickr

Chupacabra 01-26-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gates311 (Post 121544)
Western suburbs here. Definitely looking to get one. Love this car!


Want. Can't wait for these cars #FRS #FT86 by Gates311, on Flickr

Welcome. Once we get ours, we can take a cruise around the cities

neutron256 01-26-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 121677)
Welcome. Once we get ours, we can take a cruise around the cities

Excellent idea. It will be interesting to see how common place these cars become in the Twin Cities. I'm guessing it will be at least a year before you start to see a lot of them.

I think I've decided. I'm going with the BRZ, it just seems a little more grown up to me even though there is hardly any difference between the two. Plus I think with Scion's stratagy of rolling out new models to the coasts first and then working inward it will be a while before you can get an FRS here.

I'm going to the Subaru dealership to put a down a deposit and get my name on the list today.

neutron256 01-26-2012 04:45 PM

Well I did it. I went to Bloomington Subaru and put a deposit down. I'm 7th on the list there.

Chupacabra 01-26-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 121870)
Well I did it. I went to Bloomington Subaru and put a deposit down. I'm 7th on the list there.

Huge congrats neutron! I sadly agree that Scion will stiff the Upper Midwest with the FR-S until later. Tis the disadvantage of this area vs Cali or Texas or Florida.

neutron256 01-26-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 121930)
Huge congrats neutron! I sadly agree that Scion will stiff the Upper Midwest with the FR-S until later. Tis the disadvantage of this area vs Cali or Texas or Florida.

Yeah I was all but set on the Subaru, and when the dealer said they were taking deposits it made up my mind for me. It will be interesting to se what color/trim I get.

Chupacabra 01-28-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 121961)
Yeah I was all but set on the Subaru, and when the dealer said they were taking deposits it made up my mind for me. It will be interesting to se what color/trim I get.

I'm pretty fortunate; #2 at Burnsville Scion. I just told them I'd prefer any color other than hot lava, but it must be manual.

neutron256 01-28-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 123049)
I'm pretty fortunate; #2 at Burnsville Scion. I just told them I'd prefer any color other than hot lava, but it must be manual.

To funny. I did the same thing, I said any color other then white. I'm still up in the air about transmission but I think on that I'm going to hold out for an AT. That my be to my advantage, it sounds like most of the people on the list are planing on using theirs for autocross and I can't see them getting an automatic.

ayau 01-28-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 121870)
Well I did it. I went to Bloomington Subaru and put a deposit down. I'm 7th on the list there.

What's the policy on the refund? Did they mention when to expect the cars to come in?

I haven't really decided which Subaru dealer to go to yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to get a BRZ Limited in Rally Blue. I'm surprised there are already 7 people on that list though considering this is MN.

Chupacabra 01-28-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 123053)
To funny. I did the same thing, I said any color other then white. I'm still up in the air about transmission but I think on that I'm going to hold out for an AT. That my be to my advantage, it sounds like most of the people on the list are planing on using theirs for autocross and I can't see them getting an automatic.

I will be autocrossing my FR-S and I know that I'll see a ton of BRZ's out there.

I've seen a Saturn Redline Sky destroy its class though because of an automatic (flappy paddles too) but because the manual transmission on the AS1 has been getting such positive publicity, I would imagine the autoxr's ahead of you will opt away from the auto. You might get your BRZ very very early.

Chupacabra 01-28-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 123065)
What's the policy on the refund? Did they mention when to expect the cars to come in?

I haven't really decided which Subaru dealer to go to yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to get a BRZ Limited in Rally Blue. I'm surprised there are already 7 people on that list though considering this is MN.

Just call around to see what the dealership's policy is and how far down on the list you are.

As of now, the dealers don't have an idea for how many, what type, and options they will be able to provide. Subaru dealers are already in high demand for the Impreza, WRX and Foresters so they will most likely treat the BRZ the same way (ie, any configuration that shows up will sell) unless you've placed a deposit.

neutron256 01-29-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayau (Post 123065)
What's the policy on the refund? Did they mention when to expect the cars to come in?

I haven't really decided which Subaru dealer to go to yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind and I'm going to get a BRZ Limited in Rally Blue. I'm surprised there are already 7 people on that list though considering this is MN.


Basically the deposit is refundable until you sign and take delivery. You should check with your dealer for specific details.

xrs 01-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 121534)
I went to Burnsville Toyota for mine, it's where I bought my tC from and I have always had great service there. I thought about the BRZ but like the idea of being just a smidge closer to the Toyota side of things.

Also, I don't think MN will be fair to either car long term; but it will probably be less kind to a non-AWD Subaru that commands a premium. The loyalists who normally buy Subaru will probably not understand why you bought an amazing car, whereas the Scion they won't even bother trying to discuss it.

For Subaru dealers, it's a toss-up to whomever is closest. For me, Walser Subaru in Burnsville has told me they are holding deposits for the BRZ.

I had a feeling there'd be more Minnesota peeps on this board besides Chupacabra and I. Anyways, funny you mentioned Walser Subaru. My wife and I just leased a 2012 Impreza and I asked the sales guy if they were accepting deposits on the car yet. Dude acted like he didn't even know anything about the vehicle AND told me they weren't taking deposits since they aren't able to make orders on the vehicle. I don't think he understood that I was asking to see if they had a wait list. I gave up asking since I felt the conversation was getting nowhere. For me, I'm leaning FR-S.

xrs 01-29-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 123157)
Basically the deposit is refundable until you sign and take delivery. You should check with your dealer for specific details.

Back when I was selling cars, our sales managers would often say to a customer on an incoming car that if they want a vehicle, they would have to place a $500 non-refundable deposit down on the vehicle to better gauge the customer's commitment to the deal. That $500 deposit was always fully refundable of course and I was told we aren't allowed to keep it anyways. I love it when I go buy cars and sales managers try that to me. If I want the car, which I usually do the time I walk on the show floor, I'm gonna put that deposit down.

Chupacabra 01-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrs (Post 123180)
I had a feeling there'd be more Minnesota peeps on this board besides Chupacabra and I. Anyways, funny you mentioned Walser Subaru. My wife and I just leased a 2012 Impreza and I asked the sales guy if they were accepting deposits on the car yet. Dude acted like he didn't even know anything about the vehicle AND told me they weren't taking deposits since they aren't able to make orders on the vehicle. I don't think he understood that I was asking to see if they had a wait list. I gave up asking since I felt the conversation was getting nowhere. For me, I'm leaning FR-S.

That would be so frustrating, especially since you've got vehicle sales experience.

If a customer came into my store and wanted to put a deposit down on a 2012 GSX-R 1000 in a certain color, I surely wouldn't act like there isn't a model coming out. I might be reluctant to take his/her money if the machine wasn't able to be ordered but I would at least explain that to the customer.

neutron256 01-29-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 123235)
That would be so frustrating, especially since you've got vehicle sales experience.

If a customer came into my store and wanted to put a deposit down on a 2012 GSX-R 1000 in a certain color, I surely wouldn't act like there isn't a model coming out. I might be reluctant to take his/her money if the machine wasn't able to be ordered but I would at least explain that to the customer.

Bloomington Subaru seemed not only to be ontop of this but excited about it. The sales person they set me up with does autocross, and for an extra suckup the manager came out to say hi. Unnesscary since I'm already sold on the car, but a nice touch. If people were asking me to buy a car I knew nothing about I wouldn't be turning them away, I'd be doing my research.

Chupacabra 01-29-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 123347)
Bloomington Subaru seemed not only to be ontop of this but excited about it. The sales person they set me up with does autocross, and for an extra suckup the manager came out to say hi. Unnesscary since I'm already sold on the car, but a nice touch. If people were asking me to buy a car I knew nothing about I wouldn't be turning them away, I'd be doing my research.

I'm really glad you've had a great experience thus far with Bloomington Subaru!

So, for those Minnesota based BRZ/ FR-S buyers, head to Bloomington Subaru and Burnsville Scion to get deposits since there are 2 positive experiences out there. If there is another dealership that you know is taking deposits and you've had a good experience, share it here.

Chupacabra 02-02-2012 11:28 AM

Hi MN members,

I wanted to inform all of you that I just spoke with Subaru and Scion about their participation at the Auto Show this year.

According to Scion, they will not be bringing the FR-S to the Twin Cities :thumbdown:

Subaru left me a voicemail this morning confirming that the BRZ will be on display but they didn't mention if we will be able to sit in it. :)

So optimists can say 'At least I won't have to go to Chicago to see the AS1'

And pessimists will say 'WTF?! Why can we only see the BRZ? I wanted to compare them both!'

I will say I'm grateful that the BRZ will be here instead of nothing.

xrs 02-02-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 125598)
Hi MN members,

I wanted to inform all of you that I just spoke with Subaru and Scion about their participation at the Auto Show this year.

According to Scion, they will not be bringing the FR-S to the Twin Cities :thumbdown:

Subaru left me a voicemail this morning confirming that the BRZ will be on display but they didn't mention if we will be able to sit in it. :)

So optimists can say 'At least I won't have to go to Chicago to see the AS1'

And pessimists will say 'WTF?! Why can we only see the BRZ? I wanted to compare them both!'

I will say I'm grateful that the BRZ will be here instead of nothing.

:happy0180: NICE FIND! I was wondering if they were bringing a BRZ or FRS out. It'll be awesome to finally see one in person. Upon seeing the car, I may just drop by a dealership with my $500 deposit.

neutron256 02-02-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chupacabra (Post 125598)
Hi MN members,

I wanted to inform all of you that I just spoke with Subaru and Scion about their participation at the Auto Show this year.

According to Scion, they will not be bringing the FR-S to the Twin Cities :thumbdown:

Subaru left me a voicemail this morning confirming that the BRZ will be on display but they didn't mention if we will be able to sit in it. :)

So optimists can say 'At least I won't have to go to Chicago to see the AS1'

And pessimists will say 'WTF?! Why can we only see the BRZ? I wanted to compare them both!'

I will say I'm grateful that the BRZ will be here instead of nothing.


Thanks for that update. I was wondering if it would be at the show. I never go to the auto show but since I'm planning on getting the BRZ this will give me a first chance to see it in person. I hope I get to sit in it but even just seeing it in person will make me happy. :w00t:

Chupacabra 02-02-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrs (Post 125634)
:happy0180: NICE FIND! I was wondering if they were bringing a BRZ or FRS out. It'll be awesome to finally see one in person. Upon seeing the car, I may just drop by a dealership with my $500 deposit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 125856)
Thanks for that update. I was wondering if it would be at the show. I never go to the auto show but since I'm planning on getting the BRZ this will give me a first chance to see it in person. I hope I get to sit in it but even just seeing it in person will make me happy. :w00t:

No problem, I'm glad I could help out. I'm so desperate to see it in person and I will go to the show March 11th and snap some pics. Even though I'm getting the FR-S, I'll be able to get some visualization for actual appearance and assimilate interior differences in person.

xrs 02-06-2012 03:20 PM

First contact attempt to Burnsville Scion today via email. Hope it goes well.

Chupacabra 02-06-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrs (Post 128213)
First contact attempt to Burnsville Scion today via email. Hope it goes well.

Yeah! Good Luck, they're a building full of good people.

xrs 02-06-2012 05:35 PM

Just got off the phone with Justin. If you guys listen to KDWB Dave Ryan in the Morning, dude sounded like Crisco. Told me production date was March. He was estimating arrival date was gonna be in June. A bit later than I thought but gives me more time to save for my down payment. Gonna drop by with my deposit Saturday. From what he's said, it doesn't sound like Scion/Subaru are allocating many units to our neck of the woods. Makes sense cuz at mazda, we only received 1 or 2 RX-8/Miatas per month. We did end up with like three of each by years end only cuz they were such slow sellers but it sure doesn't give you a lot of options.

I'll try and see if he'll throw me some more nuggets of info this Saturday.

ayau 02-06-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrs (Post 128305)
Just got off the phone with Justin. If you guys listen to KDWB Dave Ryan in the Morning, dude sounded like Crisco. Told me production date was March. He was estimating arrival date was gonna be in June. A bit later than I thought but gives me more time to save for my down payment. Gonna drop by with my deposit Saturday. From what he's said, it doesn't sound like Scion/Subaru are allocating many units to our neck of the woods. Makes sense cuz at mazda, we only received 1 or 2 RX-8/Miatas per month. We did end up with like three of each by years end only cuz they were such slow sellers but it sure doesn't give you a lot of options.

I'll try and see if he'll throw me some more nuggets of info this Saturday.

Which dealer did you call?

xrs 02-06-2012 06:39 PM

Burnsville Scion.

Chupacabra 02-07-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrs (Post 128305)
Just got off the phone with Justin. If you guys listen to KDWB Dave Ryan in the Morning, dude sounded like Crisco. Told me production date was March. He was estimating arrival date was gonna be in June. A bit later than I thought but gives me more time to save for my down payment. Gonna drop by with my deposit Saturday. From what he's said, it doesn't sound like Scion/Subaru are allocating many units to our neck of the woods. Makes sense cuz at mazda, we only received 1 or 2 RX-8/Miatas per month. We did end up with like three of each by years end only cuz they were such slow sellers but it sure doesn't give you a lot of options.

I'll try and see if he'll throw me some more nuggets of info this Saturday.

I don't think anything has changed much for info from what I found out. March production, June arrival. As far as I know MN has yet to receive a First 86 winner. The closest is in Nebraska or 'Sconny and that aggravates me.

All I will tell you about Burnsville is they want to get as many as they can, in any color/ transmission they can. But, they will look to get you taken care of prior to the others if you have a deposit on the car. I was told by Bill F.(super-duper sales manager) that much like the FJ's, they will place an order but don't expect more than 1-2 a month initially because of demand.

GrimmSpeed 02-08-2012 07:23 PM

Hey guys. We've been bugging the shit out of all the Subaru dealers over the last 4 months but I have gained nothing. Subaru isnt even taking deposits so i'm wondering if FRS is the way to go if you want one of the first ones.

Also, we got really lucky with Scion, we are able to get our hands on one for a few hours. If you can keep a secret maybe we can invite a few of you over to check it out.

Subscribed

Justin


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.