Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   non-dealer key replacement options (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30821)

Shanahan 03-11-2013 04:16 PM

non-dealer key replacement options
 
Long story short the dealer lost my spare keys so I only have one key to the car and I would like to have at least one spare maybe even the valet key. Dealership(s) /not the one that lost my keys of course. wont be going back there/ want $280 for a replacement key and programming. I've found the same price everywhere I called. Being cheap I ordered a "confirmed G-chip" key off ebay for $65 and had 2 dealerships try to program it and neither could. So I sent it back and tried again with the same results. The dealership was able to delete my working key then add it back on so I know their machine is working and they can in fact add a key.
The questions are:
Has anyone been able to add a key not purchased directly from Toyota?
If so where did you purchase it and how much?

raphy 03-11-2013 05:05 PM

ask them to order you a new set. There is no way they can getaway with giving you one key. If not order a valet key of Toyota and have them reprogram it. The valet is allot cheaper.

baldolera 03-11-2013 05:11 PM

First of all, if I were you there's no way I would spend my own money fixing someone else's mistake. Unless you don't want to deal with the situation and you have money to burn, I'd demand a replacement key free of charge because it was the dealer's fault in the first place.

fistpoint 03-11-2013 06:20 PM

Unbelievable response from the OP: "not going back there". What? Just the sheer satisfaction making them make it right is reason enough to return. At the very least though I'm sure you can have them mail you the replacement THEY purchased for you.

How you could even for one nanosecond think about paying 1 cent from your pocket to rectify their mistake is insane. You will have satisfaction if you hold them accountable. Never returning after that is your icing.

Shanahan 03-12-2013 10:34 AM

I harbor no animosity for the dealership they did everything they could, the situation was out of their hands. They have incredible service, but it isn't a Toyota dealership. The general manager is a close friend and a swap of cars for something he had got the car to me at a very reasonable price.


That aside, like I originally asked has anyone had any experience/luck with a NON Toyota dealership key successfully being programmed to the car?

spgrizz22 03-12-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanahan (Post 788192)
I harbor no animosity for the dealership they did everything they could, the situation was out of their hands. They have incredible service, but it isn't a Toyota dealership. The general manager is a close friend and a swap of cars for something he had got the car to me at a very reasonable price.

That aside, like I originally asked has anyone had any experience/luck with a NON Toyota dealership key successfully being programmed to the car?

Well I don't know if getting a new pair of keys from a new alarm system counts. With my new Viper 5904 it came with two keys and I had to use my one of my keys to program it. What you can do though, and is what I think you should do since the manager is your friend, is buy the key from eBay cheap, then let them pay for the key and let them program it.

Shanahan 03-12-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spgrizz22 (Post 788221)
buy the key from eBay cheap, then let them pay for the key and let them program it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanahan (Post 786646)
Being cheap I ordered a "confirmed G-chip" key off ebay for $65 and had 2 dealerships try to program it and neither could.

I've tried 2 eBay keys already that claimed to be G-chip and for an FRS and went to 2 different Scion/Toyota dealerships to try and have them programmed and neither worked.

spgrizz22 03-12-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanahan (Post 788238)
I've tried 2 eBay keys already that claimed to be G-chip and for an FRS and went to 2 different Scion/Toyota dealerships to try and have them programmed and neither worked.

I guess just have a talk with you close friend. See what he can do. Because you need to get this fixed because in the long run your going to need that key.

Shanahan 03-13-2013 04:50 PM

A little follow up info for the next person looking for a replacement key. According to the Toyota Tech I spoke with today the FR-S does not use the same G-chip keys as the other Scions or Toyota's. He said it has a different part number and you can't program the FR-S keys to the other cars or the other cars to the FR-S. How much truth there is to that I do not know. Maybe one of the techs on this forum can chime in? He was however able to tell me only the master key had been programmed to the car. The valet keys that came with were never added to the system. He might be able to get me those directly from Toyota since they should have come with it to the original dealership.

feldy 03-13-2013 04:55 PM

Did you buy the car new or used? If the car was new they owe you a key. Either the key or the money for a new key. If its used then yes its on you to replace.

Did you not get a valet key either?

My car came with two normal keys and one valet key.

Spetto 01-30-2014 11:55 PM

Bumping this up as I am in the market for another key - and thinking of going the ebay route and having a locksmith cut it and program it if it can be done.

Any advice would be great!

Red FRS 03-10-2014 04:20 PM

Bump.

Lost one of my keys recently and looking for the cheapest route to replace it. Any advice would be great.

ntron1 03-10-2014 05:57 PM

You could sell a Kidney and get the OG Key....

Moto-P 03-24-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanahan (Post 791390)
A little follow up info for the next person looking for a replacement key. According to the Toyota Tech I spoke with today the FR-S does not use the same G-chip keys as the other Scions or Toyota's......

That is correct. The Denso BCU Security of the FR-S is actually a Subaru standard unit, so the keys must be programmed and chips are assigned with Subaru standard programmers. Therefore, although Scion/Toyota dealers are equipped with the key-replacement tools needed, they are not the same as other Toyota security/key programming and tools needed for that operation.

That said, another worthy note is, that since the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S are assigned different vehicle security ID at the factory for this, Subaru dealers also has tools but will not be able to get the proper download codes to reprogram a FR-S and vice versa. Only Toyota can program a FR-S, and Subaru can a BRZ.

Chattanooga FR-S 03-25-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldy (Post 791400)
My car came with two normal keys and one valet key.

What keys should I expect to get with a new Monogram? My understanding is that the "key" will essentially just be a key fob. So I should expect to get 2 of those, right? Is there a "valet fob"? The actual keyhole is plugged/covered on Monograms, right?

AznBRZer 03-25-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chattanooga FR-S (Post 1624394)
What keys should I expect to get with a new Monogram? My understanding is that the "key" will essentially just be a key fob. So I should expect to get 2 of those, right? Is there a "valet fob"? The actual keyhole is plugged/covered on Monograms, right?

You will get 2 fobs; no valet. There are physical keys in the fobs that can unlock the driver side door as well as the trunk. I believe that those are the only places where you can use the physical key. No hole in the passenger side door.

Jyn 03-25-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chattanooga FR-S (Post 1624394)
What keys should I expect to get with a new Monogram? My understanding is that the "key" will essentially just be a key fob. So I should expect to get 2 of those, right? Is there a "valet fob"? The actual keyhole is plugged/covered on Monograms, right?

@AznBRZer is correct. You'll get two keyfobs. Both have a very small emergency key in them used for unlocking the driver side door in case power is ever lost.

Chattanooga FR-S 03-25-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyn (Post 1624496)
@AznBRZer is correct. You'll get two keyfobs. Both have a very small emergency key in them used for unlocking the driver side door in case power is ever lost.

So if the batteries in the keyfobs die, there is no other way to start the car? Obviously BOTH of them probably wouldn't die at the same time, but just to know?

AznBRZer 03-25-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chattanooga FR-S (Post 1624708)
So if the batteries in the keyfobs die, there is no other way to start the car? Obviously BOTH of them probably wouldn't die at the same time, but just to know?

Actually, it's TOTALLY possible that they could "die at the same time." There'll be enough residual charge that if you hold the key upto the push-start button that it'll start the car. The batteries only have a life of about 1.5 years regardless of usage because they're constantly transmitting.

All this info is in the manual.:thumbsup:

Chattanooga FR-S 03-25-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznBRZer (Post 1624731)
All this info is in the manual.:thumbsup:

I am really hoping that the manual gets delivered today or tomorrow... inside my new car! :drool:

Liliflower 12-17-2014 02:43 AM

DIY
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by R_ (Post 1570267)
I am also interested in this and have looked on ebay for a replacement key, is it possible to make it work with the FRS? I also only have one key (prior owner out there somewhere has the other which makes me slightly uncomfortable...)


Yes, if you have still have one key in hand, it can be done. Using x100 plus, Toyota G chip supported.

Maggie_Mullen 03-07-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liliflower (Post 2059062)
Yes, if you have still have one key in hand, it can be done. Using x100 plus, Toyota G chip supported.

I would not be so sure of that. A lot of the keys that are out there on eBay are already programed. Make sure that the person that you are purchasing from is a reputable seller. I have had friends that have gotten replacement fobs from eBay and eventually they figured out that it was already programed. The key was uncut and everything, which made everyone think it was legit. The locksmith he talked to said they just get blank slider key (which is the snake patterned key type that you see on the car keys without the double bitting) and attach it to the fob. Seems impractical to me, but apparently it happens.

There are companies out there that are pretty reputable. When I got my key I made sure that the company had a customer service line so that I could talk to an actual human if there was an issue. This is not just to protect your money, but also to make sure that the job gets done. And it made all the difference.

I made it through the entire list of instructions and it was not working. One more time to try and find my mistake...and still nothing. There was something really small that I would totally forget if I had to do it again. It was not on the instructions, but the person over the phone knew it somehow. Do what you need to do not to pay the dealership. It saves money, and seems like less of a hassle personally, then doing it yourself and hopefully leaning something (Just to prepare you, there is no real skill you get out of this, because the reprograming does not transfer to most other cars).

gravitylover 03-18-2016 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggie_Mullen (Post 2572288)
There are companies out there that are pretty reputable. When I got my key I made sure that the company had a customer service line so that I could talk to an actual human if there was an issue. This is not just to protect your money, but also to make sure that the job gets done. And it made all the difference.

I made it through the entire list of instructions and it was not working. One more time to try and find my mistake...and still nothing. There was something really small that I would totally forget if I had to do it again. It was not on the instructions, but the person over the phone knew it somehow. Do what you need to do not to pay the dealership. It saves money, and seems like less of a hassle personally, then doing it yourself and hopefully leaning something (Just to prepare you, there is no real skill you get out of this, because the reprograming does not transfer to most other cars).

What did you end up spending? I really need to get a replacement and the cost at the dealers is pretty outrageous.

FRS311 02-23-2017 03:29 PM

Bumping this. I recently bought my 2013 FRS used and the dealership only had one key for it. The local Toyota dealership quoted me $425 for a new fob, laser-cut key and reprogramming for the fob. Out-friggin'-rageous.

Tcoat 02-23-2017 03:33 PM

Some info on the topic. Not sure but Toyota probably has something similar that I just can't find.


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1355508627


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.