Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-SPEC (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30798)

hypedforcar 08-18-2011 12:16 PM

2012 Genesis Coupe.
 
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the FRS but in the meantime i am considering a couple cars. I am in love with the Genesis coupe, i think it just looks amazing, the only thing holding me back though is its reputation, The question is: Are hyundais reliable? more specifically the Gen. Coupe? Do they require frequent maintenance? Do they break down alot?

VenomRush 08-18-2011 01:05 PM

since its your first post, ima forgive you and not comment any further cuz i too have posted in the wrong section...

Zeero 08-18-2011 01:06 PM

Maybe you should go to the Hyundai Genesis forum and ask this

Exage 08-18-2011 02:16 PM

10 year; 100,000mile Power-train Warranty. Done.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/...-warranty.aspx

Random_Art 08-18-2011 02:32 PM

The only experience I have with Hyundai is with my Parents' Santa Fe. It's got over 230k miles on the ODO with no major issues.

Zaku 08-18-2011 09:47 PM

http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2...ts-elantra-on/

here some spy pic and a full pic of the interior if your interested lol

n2oinferno 08-18-2011 11:42 PM

www.gencoupe.com

And since I'm a mod there I'll just give you a fair warning before the community rains down hatred for not doing so... Search. :D

SVTSHC 01-10-2012 08:03 PM

2013 GenCoupe 2.0t vs 3.8
 
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...genesis_coupe/

Given the information from the Motortrend article which would you choose? Here are the highlights

2.0t
  • 274bHP & 275lb-ft (port injection)
  • Four Piston Brembo's
  • 55:45 Weight Ratio
  • Roughly 3300lbs
  • 31mpg highway (unsure of city)
  • Current cost $25.5k (2013 pricing undetermined)
  • Everything else included in the R-Spec pack (same as 3.8 Track Pack)

3.8
  • 348bHP & 294lb-ft (direct injection)
  • Four Piston Brembo's
  • 56:44 Weight Ratio
  • Roughly 3500lbs
  • 27mpg highway(28 with AT) 18mpg city
  • Current cost $31.7k (2013 pricing undetermined)
  • Everything else included in the Track Pack (same as the R-Spec pack)


From a tuners perspective which would you rather own? Why?
The poll will only allow you to choose one but an accompanying post would describe some specifics such as:

Road Course racing: 3.8
Drag racing: 3.8
AutoX: 2.0T
Drifting: 2.0T

Those are just examples I'm sure people will get creative with their reasoning :happyanim:.

Spaceywilly 01-10-2012 08:25 PM

with the 2.0T having 274/275 (only 20lb/ft less than the v6) and weighing a few hundred lbs less I don't see any reason to get the V6. But then again I am not in the target market so people who actually want one may think differently.

SVTSHC 01-10-2012 08:33 PM

edited to add in a pricing, I'll continue editing when more information is released (and I have more time to go into detail)

n2oinferno 01-10-2012 09:47 PM

From a tuner perspective (as asked in the OP), nobody that has paid attention to the current car should be picking the 3.8. There is so little aftermarket for it compared to the 2.0. And it's not like the 2.0 is exactly flourishing either. However, a reflash and a couple of bolt ons already puts the 2.0 in that range. I'm expecting the case will be the same for the refresh models as well.

I think the post is a bit confusing too, at least if they keep the new version in line with current packages. The 3.8 Track Package is the most optioned out. The 2.0 and 3.8 R-Specs are stripped less than the Premium packages, but have the performance parts from the 3.8 Track package.

merlin2111 01-10-2012 09:53 PM

2.0t better mpg and tuneability. If the frs/brz is over priced then this is what I will be getting.

SVTSHC 01-10-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2oinferno (Post 111349)
From a tuner perspective (as asked in the OP), nobody that has paid attention to the current car should be picking the 3.8. There is so little aftermarket for it compared to the 2.0. And it's not like the 2.0 is exactly flourishing either. However, a reflash and a couple of bolt ons already puts the 2.0 in that range. I'm expecting the case will be the same for the refresh models as well.

I think the post is a bit confusing too, at least if they keep the new version in line with current packages. The 3.8 Track Package is the most optioned out. The 2.0 and 3.8 R-Specs are stripped less than the Premium packages, but have the performance parts from the 3.8 Track package.


You're right it would have been better to pit the two R-specs against each other =/, at least that way the difference between them would be about $3k.

Ryuu0u 01-11-2012 01:17 AM

I Would consider a 3.8 R-Spec so i can TT or supercharge it later. That's if I wasn't so head over heels for the FR-S.

Mr.Jay 01-11-2012 01:26 AM

2.0T because I hear the V6 guys got shafted on their ECU tuning

just86 03-11-2013 11:07 AM

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-SPEC
 
So, I saw this deal for 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-SPEC for $26,723 brand new. Should I pull the trigger?

http://www.campaign.responselogix.co...featured&ord=0

HunterGreene 03-11-2013 11:14 AM

Ok, not to feed the troll, but what would be a reason to buy this?

just86 03-11-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterGreene (Post 785980)
Ok, not to feed the troll, but what would be a reason to buy this?

the interior of the genesis is a lot better and this one comes with red leather which looks really good, and of course 348 hp and only $26,700! i have been waiting for the 86 version (push start, led hid, etc) for the frs for a long time and this deal is a killer, very tempting

JPxM0Dz 03-11-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just86 (Post 786011)
the interior of the genesis is a lot better and this one comes with red leather which looks really good, and of course 348 hp and only $26,700! i have been waiting for the 86 version (push start, led hid, etc) for the frs for a long time and this deal is a killer, very tempting


If you love this car and get a smokin' deal, you should buy whatever car makes you happy, regardless of what others think. Having said that, I doubt you'll get any Love in these forums for the Genesis

I looked at this car before I bought my BRZ, liked the looks and the interior, not too mention the raw power. But it didn't feel special like my BRZ :thumbsup:

If it's power your after, then yeah to the Genesis, but that's the only area it shines over the FR-S/BRZ in my opinion. I agree on the interior as you mentioned. I hated the clumsy shifter and the car felt too heavy for me

Good Luck!

stilletto 03-11-2013 11:59 AM

Check this out..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTTx__QRcg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTTx__QRcg[/ame]

OrbitalEllipses 03-11-2013 12:02 PM

If you want power the 86 will never satisfy you.

JPxM0Dz 03-11-2013 12:11 PM

^^^19:19 says it all :thumbsup:

stilletto 03-11-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz (Post 786112)
^^^19:19 says it all :thumbsup:

Agreed. Not to mention, it's not like FI isn't available!

dem00n 03-11-2013 12:28 PM

Its a muscle car TBH.

Good car, but not handling oriented like the twins.

HunterGreene 03-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just86 (Post 786011)
the interior of the genesis is a lot better and this one comes with red leather which looks really good, and of course 348 hp and only $26,700! i have been waiting for the 86 version (push start, led hid, etc) for the frs for a long time and this deal is a killer, very tempting

The next question is: Do you own the FR-S outright? Otherwise the buyout will only add to the cost of the Genesis.

As it has been said, if you really want it, get it. Not a bad deal, just wouldn't go bragging around about it on this forum unless you love flamejobs ;)

husker741 03-11-2013 01:12 PM

Although you are gaining power, you are losing Toyota quality and reliability. This car is also the safest in it's class. The Genesis also just looks bloated. Yeah, you get more power, but it's still a Hyundai.

stilletto 03-11-2013 01:20 PM

Not sure if anyone's familiar with JDMC, (JDM Chicago), a Chicago based Forum, but one member, an engineer, dissects and reviews engine blocks during customer rebuilds.
He recently rebuilt another members 2.0T Engine and noticed significant build quality issues. One being an improperly installed Thrust Bearing. Was installed BACKWARDS!
Concerns could be thwarted by the fact Hyundai offers a 10yr/100k Warranty, but you can kiss that goodbye upon heavy modifications.
Just something to think about..

OrbitalEllipses 03-11-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilletto (Post 786255)
Not sure if anyone's familiar with JDMC, (JDM Chicago), a Chicago based Forum, but one member, an engineer, dissects and reviews engine blocks during customer rebuilds.
He recently rebuilt another members 2.0T Engine and noticed significant build quality issues. One being an improperly installed Thrust Bearing. Was installed BACKWARDS!
Concerns could be thwarted by the fact Hyundai offers a 10yr/100k Warranty, but you can kiss that goodbye upon heavy modifications.
Just something to think about..

Good thing is a 3.8 V6, no?

stilletto 03-11-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 786282)
Good thing is a 3.8 V6, no?

True. Nevertheless, the 3.8 Lambda could be subject to the same build quality.

KSC 03-11-2013 02:27 PM

THIS is what killed my interest in the Gen Coupe. Chances are, had I never saw that thread, I'd be driving one now.

I know, all cars have their issues, but that's been going on for a while now, and Hyundai still haven't fixed it. Unless your defininition of "fixed" is continuing to sell the car with the same transmission for 3-4 model years.

LSxJunkie 03-11-2013 03:36 PM

Do it.

suaveflooder 03-11-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilletto (Post 786075)

That was really REALLY good! Its so funny! I keep trying to find a bad review of the twins and I simply can't! The price point is perfect, and the minimalist idea to the car has me falling in love with it more and more every day! :wub:

I've owned the German sports car (M3) and driven the American Muscle (500rwhp Terminator), but I can't get over how much I love my little, "slow" Toyota!

I think you just found your answer OP

OrbitalEllipses 03-11-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suaveflooder (Post 786675)
the American Muscle (500rwhp Terminator)

Awesome! Love that car.

7thgear 03-11-2013 04:48 PM

Not this again

The Gensis vs FRS debate has been beaten so hard into the ground that’s been fossilized.

They offer different experiences and only you can be the judge of which you prefer.

whitefrs 03-11-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 786090)
If you want power the 86 will never satisfy you.

It will with the fullblown kit lol

just86 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

im going to test drive it this weekend, handling wont be near as good as an frs but i do want a little luxury from the genesis interior

OrbitalEllipses 03-11-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitefrs (Post 786744)
It will with the fullblown kit lol

$25K car + at least $3K turbo kit = $28K. If he wants power, the Genesis has it for cheaper. I don't disagree, but that's no longer a stock car to stock car comparison. With the turbo, he can kiss his warranty good bye as well.

I love the twins, I own one...but I see many of them for sale on these forums with low mileage. These are not the sports cars for everyone or those drivers who want powuhhhhh.

vtmike 03-11-2013 05:51 PM

Seems like a good deal. That car at that price would be tempting if I had not already gotten an frs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bonburner 03-11-2013 07:20 PM

that interior luxury is nice .. I wouldn't mind it to be honest .. it just weighs a crap ton

Dimman 03-13-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSC (Post 786395)
THIS is what killed my interest in the Gen Coupe. Chances are, had I never saw that thread, I'd be driving one now.

I know, all cars have their issues, but that's been going on for a while now, and Hyundai still haven't fixed it. Unless your defininition of "fixed" is continuing to sell the car with the same transmission for 3-4 model years.

97-page thread on a GenCoupe forum about transmission issues that is semi-officially being monitored by Hyundai doesn't look good.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.