Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Whiteline Com-c top mounts (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26146)

sw20kosh 01-11-2013 01:05 AM

Whiteline Com-c top mounts
 
I did a search but couldn't find it.

I remember reading some people having big problems with these? Clunking sounds etc. Is this still the case?

whataboutbob 01-11-2013 01:19 AM

I talked to the Whiteline North America rep a while back. It was a limited number of units, all of which will be covered under warranty. They stopped production to eliminate the problem.

I've got a set on order, and I'll be posting my experiences once I get them installed.

Turn in Concepts 01-11-2013 11:44 AM

We had some problems with them back a year ago or so, but they seem to be better since.

Tony

Smudgeous 01-13-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts (Post 658639)
We had some problems with them back a year ago or so, but they seem to be better since.

Tony

I've had 2 sets both result in the same issues. The second pair was double-checked that nothing was wrong before installing them (no notchiness, bearings spun fine), but after driving around on them for awhile, I got the same issues with the car making a lot of clunking while turning the wheel.

For the record, the first ones I got were in August, with the replacements in mid September. Unfortunately during installation the second time, I let the wife help out with the re-tightening of the strut bolts with my torque wrench, with the result basically the same as Cobrabyte's recent post :sigh:

I suppose I could always try to contact Whiteline about it since it's still a problem that happened regardless of the shearing of the bolt, but I'm not sure whether I want to try a third time or just call it quits and throw back on the stockers..

Smudgeous 01-16-2013 05:12 PM

As a follow-up to my last post, I just got off the phone with Jan, who told me that they did have a bad batch of bearings from their last manufacturing run that they're aware of and trying to rectify. He said they're currently expecting a replacement batch in around the end of February, and already had my name down on a list of people who'd called in with problems. They'll be working on getting everyone replacement (or in my case, replacement replacement) Com Cs around the beginning of March.

For those curious of my own plight, he additionally told me that my sheared bolt would not be a problem, and that I can still return them once I receive the new ones.

ATL BRZ 01-17-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudgeous (Post 669615)
As a follow-up to my last post, I just got off the phone with Jan, who told me that they did have a bad batch of bearings from their last manufacturing run that they're aware of and trying to rectify. He said they're currently expecting a replacement batch in around the end of February, and already had my name down on a list of people who'd called in with problems. They'll be working on getting everyone replacement (or in my case, replacement replacement) Com Cs around the beginning of March.

For those curious of my own plight, he additionally told me that my sheared bolt would not be a problem, and that I can still return them once I receive the new ones.


That is my understanding as well, I've been emailing Jan back and forth myself awaiting the upcoming solution. Right now I'm still running the stock top mounts. I have a brand new set of com-c's that they sent me sitting around and I will send them back once the replacements get in. Jan assured me that it would be a complimentary replacement, which I appreciate.

Here is my post explaining the issue with the top mounts: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=175

sw20kosh 02-12-2013 08:04 PM

Any update on these from Whiteline? Would love to get these new revised ones on the car! :party0030:

ATL BRZ 02-19-2013 06:00 PM

Bump for update. Anyone talk to Jan from WL-US?

Calum 02-19-2013 07:14 PM

I've inquired with a couple vendors about the top hats. Everyone seems to say the new batch should be available ~ march.

jamal 02-19-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATL BRZ (Post 745078)
Bump for update. Anyone talk to Jan from WL-US?

Yep. A couple weeks ago I heard mid march.

Turn in Concepts 02-19-2013 08:23 PM

I've been watching, and they are out of stock everywhere (or at least all the common places).

ATL BRZ 03-05-2013 04:46 PM

Just got an email from Jan @ Whiteline US. The new batch of top mounts are in and should be shipping out now to warranty customers.

ATL BRZ 03-12-2013 11:01 PM

FINALLY received my warranty replacement Whiteline Com-C top mounts. My originals were removed after one day of rattle & pop filled driving due to bad bearings and/or suspension geometry. I took some comparison photos of the new vs old top mounts to show what's different in this run that will hopefully solve the issues with deforming rubber around the bearings when turning, and some folks had clunking noises too

Bottom side comparison, you can clearly see a different bearing insert in the middle, not much else different
http://i.imgur.com/1BAtZgD.jpg

New top side includes some dust covers.
http://i.imgur.com/gmNpAI9.jpg

Without the dust covers on top. Note the different inner bearings on top
http://i.imgur.com/v93BQYY.jpg

This is where I'm still concerned about these. In my experience with the original Com-C's, over every slight bump or deviation, I could hear the upper spring perches colliding with the collar around the bottom of the top mounts, circled below in blue. I presumed this was due to bad geometry due to the lack of a conical washer on the upper spring perch on the BRZ; we have a welded flat washer, unlike the WRX which uses a separate conical washer to ensure proper mating with the inner bearing at the increased negative camber angles. When I removed the original Com-C's to swap back to stock, my upper spring perches had marks all over them from colliding with the collar on the bottom of the Com-C's. They were installed exactly as instructed and spun freely around the strut before installing back into the car.

http://i.imgur.com/x9R3Ol6.jpg

The new top mounts have the exact same collar depth, which has me concerned about them. I will be emailing my concerns and findings to Jan at Whiteline-US and try to get more info about what has changed in this new batch to prevent contact between the bottom collar of the Com-C's and the upper spring perch.

ATL BRZ 03-14-2013 05:05 PM

Jan @ Whiteline US responded to my inquiry

Quote:

The durometer of the rubber has been stepped up to reduce deflection under load.

The top hats have been road tested on cars in Australia, with zero problems to date.

SWPBRZ415 03-14-2013 08:19 PM

Installed my set on Monday, so far so good. Gonna go give it a good run this weekend in the mountains, hope it'll be okay.

ATL BRZ 03-14-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWPBRZ415 (Post 794220)
Installed my set on Monday, so far so good. Gonna go give it a good run this weekend in the mountains, hope it'll be okay.

No noises over bumps or while turning? Are you using the stock springs or aftermarket?

Racecomp Engineering 03-14-2013 10:03 PM

One thing we noticed after getting the NEW GR chassis WRX/STI versions in is the bearing is the KOYO brand , which btw is the same that STI uses for the group-n mounts. These are OEM level quality. THAT , my friends is ALSO good news and awesome on Whiteline's part to make this right.

Yay.

Myles

enjoyminutemaid 03-15-2013 06:57 AM

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but do camber plates compliment the tophats, or do they replace them?

Calum 03-15-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid (Post 795043)
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but do camber plates compliment the tophats, or do they replace them?

Replace.

Racecomp Engineering 03-15-2013 09:52 AM

Right. Camber plates are a type of tophat.

- drew

SWPBRZ415 03-15-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATL BRZ (Post 794352)
No noises over bumps or while turning? Are you using the stock springs or aftermarket?

Nope no noises, running RCE yellows. -1.5 camber all around on 18x8.5.

enjoyminutemaid 03-17-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWPBRZ415 (Post 795637)
Nope no noises, running RCE yellows. -1.5 camber all around on 18x8.5.

What are you using for rear camber adjustment?

SWPBRZ415 03-17-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid (Post 799667)
What are you using for rear camber adjustment?

Nothing its stock, after springs installed LR=-1.6/RR=-1.7, so just left it alone. Close enough to -1.5 that I wanted.

mrk1 03-30-2013 07:59 PM

I just installed a set of these and I may have a bad set, getting a small clunk over bumps. And just for those people, I never used an air gun for the install. I would love to get these sorted out because other then the clunk I love them.

When you got the new mounts did they want the old ones back? Maybe I'll see if I can shave down that metal rim.

Calum 03-30-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk1 (Post 829933)
I just installed a set of these and I may have a bad set, getting a small clunk over bumps. And just for those people, I never used an air gun for the install. I would love to get these sorted out because other then the clunk I love them.

When you got the new mounts did they want the old ones back? Maybe I'll see if I can shave down that metal rim.

If you got an old set I would talk to whiteline. Who did you get them from?

mrk1 03-31-2013 08:47 AM

I purchased from Race Comp, I don't think it has anything to do with them. I have sent an email to Whiteline to discuss the issue.

Calum 03-31-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk1 (Post 830760)
I purchased from Race Comp, I don't think it has anything to do with them. I have sent an email to Whiteline to discuss the issue.

Damn, that doesn't bode well.

mrk1 04-02-2013 09:45 PM

As a follow up. Jan @ whitelines has replied to my inquire and we have started a warranty replacement.

mrk1 04-03-2013 12:46 PM

Warranty replacement set on its way. My first set matched the pictures on the first page of this thread. With a black bearing in the center. When my new set comes in I will confirm if they also match the pictures here.

feldy 04-03-2013 05:24 PM

I just got mine in today. I have the new dust covers and bearing. Also I noticed on the side of the box there is a date on it. mine was 3-5-2013 I assume these came off the line at that date. Still wondering if these will work with the koni yellows adjustable knobs.

neurokinetik 04-03-2013 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I was putting my setup back together, and I noticed something concerning, and it could explain the clunking, at least for those of us running KWs with these top hats. When you put the spring perch and the conical washer onto the strut shaft, there is very little of it protruding into the actual bearing of the top hat (I measured only 1/8"). I think we need a nut or a sleeve that will fill the gap between the threaded portion of the strut and the bearing. Otherwise, all that slop is just going to cause problems, and it could be a contributing factor in why these things failed so quickly.

Compare the KW perch and washer with how much thread shows with the stock perch. I measure 3/8" from the top of the perch to the threaded section with the stock perch.

makinen 04-04-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWPBRZ415 (Post 795637)
Nope no noises, running RCE yellows. -1.5 camber all around on 18x8.5.

Hello, @SWPBRZ415

Have you used a conical washer over a spring perch?

neurokinetik 04-06-2013 09:14 PM

Well, for the first time ever since installing the COM-C mounts and KWs, I am noise free!

Not sure whether it is the improved, "2nd generation" COM-C mounts, the presence of the correct conical washer, the spacers that I added to fill in the gap between the threaded section of the strut and the bearing, or the new swaybar endlinks, but all of the odd clunks and metal-on-metal sounds I had last year are completely gone this year. Now all I hear are the loud-ass Hankooks and the exhaust. As it should be!



EDIT: Clunks and bangs are back when I turn the wheel, but I'm not assigning the blame to the mounts yet. I may try the KWs without the helper springs and see if that helps.

mrk1 04-09-2013 06:00 PM

Got my replacement "second gen" mounts today. Mine match the picture on the first page. Second generation have silver KOYO brand bearings and spiffy dust covers.

Spencer 04-10-2013 06:23 PM

Can someone give a short review ??

Calum 04-10-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer (Post 856049)
Can someone give a short review ??

Try here for a short review.

http://autoblopnik.com/category/scion/

Edit: damn, nobody thought that was funny. Tough room.

mrk1 04-15-2013 11:25 AM

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...psa69491e0.jpg

Bad clunking part on the left with the black bearing, New replacement on the right with the silver KOYO branded bearing, also the new dust cover.

ATL BRZ 04-15-2013 09:53 PM

Been running my new revised warranty replacement Com-C's for a week now. They are quiet, and they are performing great with no conical washer. No rubber deformation, no noises over bumps. OEM struts, RCE Yellows.

bpracer 04-16-2013 10:42 PM

Keep us updated, I need a bit more camber than the crash bolts provide.

bpracer 04-16-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 856129)
Try here for a short review.

http://autoblopnik.com/category/scion/

Edit: damn, nobody thought that was funny. Tough room.

HA!

edit - Well, that site lead to another link, that lead to another link, to this T-shirt. Yeah, you have to follow F1 to get it: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/kim...hirt-mens.html

Nice!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.