Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Clutch.. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20537)

RedRocket 10-23-2012 09:16 PM

Clutch..
 
I'm eyeballing a few supercharger/turbo options, Exhaust, Tune, which would put me around 300 HP, +/- 25HP.

This will put me in a position to require a upgraded clutch... What are the better options for clutch on Boxer's, and other then being able to handle the more power what do these performance clutches feel like when compared to a stock..

usptwins 10-23-2012 09:21 PM

As far as i have seen, there is a "ONE-OFF" Exedy clutch that AP is using. And there are several stages of the Clutch Masters. The more clamping force, the more TQ it will hold and with that, it means faster and harder engagement.

Pete 10-23-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocket (Post 516368)
I'm eyeballing a few supercharger/turbo options, Exhaust, Tune, which would put me around 300 HP, +/- 25HP.

This will put me in a position to require a upgraded clutch... What are the better options for clutch on Boxer's, and other then being able to handle the more power what do these performance clutches feel like when compared to a stock..

I had the same question, once I settle on a FI solution. (IE after SEMA)

gmookher 10-23-2012 09:52 PM

fx300/400?

kmbkk 10-23-2012 10:13 PM

Personally I like Spec clutches.

Sportsguy83 10-23-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 516484)
Personally I like Spec clutches.

Why? (genuinely asking)

Sent from my HTC One X

subatoy 10-23-2012 10:29 PM

I hate staged kits! the clutch pedal gets really hard and it's a pain to drive smoothly or comfy. I seriously had a bigger left leg than my right left after my WRX.

kmbkk 10-23-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsguy83 (Post 516485)
Why? (genuinely asking)

Sent from my HTC One X

I had one put in my GSX and it worked really well. It had a good feel and engagement. I also put and ACT street disc setup in my EVO. It was harder to shift and work than stock. Of the two brands I like the Spec better.

FreshFRS 10-23-2012 10:37 PM

Emailed Across/carbonetic. they should have a carbon blade clutch out for sale in the new year. email said it should be able to hold about 300-350lb/ft using their pressure plate. but thats all i got from them.

here is to hoping that ACT has a Pro-Lite Flywheel at SEMA. 9lbs would be about perfect on this car i think.

usptwins 10-23-2012 10:41 PM

Damn, someone definately needs to send them links and dyno vids/sheets of all these turbo/sc kits making more than that and still pushing on stock internals...... Cereal guys....

FreshFRS 10-23-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usptwins (Post 516560)
Damn, someone definately needs to send them links and dyno vids/sheets of all these turbo/sc kits making more than that and still pushing on stock internals...... Cereal guys....

rememeber thats just the blade. they didn't give me anything when i asked about a twin-plate. so i'm betting its in the works.

usptwins 10-23-2012 10:51 PM

or just a full on race spec. Something that can handle over 500wtq... then we would all be safe with one of those

FreshFRS 10-23-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usptwins (Post 516587)
or just a full on race spec. Something that can handle over 500wtq... then we would all be safe with one of those

:word:

Le86 10-23-2012 11:40 PM

As far as staged kits, you also need to look at sprung or unsprung. Sprung clutches will generally have a similar pedal feel as far as softness/stiffness goes, although engagement may still be harsh/soft depending on which stage you go with. I had a spec stage 3, 6-puck sprung clutch in my 240 and the pedal felt soft, almost like an OEM clutch, however the engagement was incredibly harsh. No room to ride the clutch at all, it was either in or out, no in between.

carbonBLUE 10-24-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 516524)
I hate staged kits! the clutch pedal gets really hard and it's a pain to drive smoothly or comfy. I seriously had a bigger left leg than my right left after my WRX.

My very first manual car that I bought/drove (literally learned to drive it on the test drive) had a brand new stage 3 6 pluck TRD clutch in it from japan (confirmed this when i pulled the engine 3 months later)

I personally thought the all car's clutches were like this, drove a friend's car with a stock clutch, hated it. Had to lift my foot 5-6 inches before any real engagement vs my 1/2 inch engagement on my car.

An aggressive aftermarket clutch actually is easier in traffic mainly because you aren't moving your left foot to make the car move, all i had to do was move my toe up and down to move forward in traffic...

to each's own, I love aggressive clutches that have linear engagement, but i guess its because racecar is in my blood...

sorry for the rant but i HATE stock clutch engagement, feel, softness, ect

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocket (Post 516368)
I'm eyeballing a few supercharger/turbo options, Exhaust, Tune, which would put me around 300 HP, +/- 25HP.

This will put me in a position to require a upgraded clutch... What are the better options for clutch on Boxer's, and other then being able to handle the more power what do these performance clutches feel like when compared to a stock..

personally if it were up to me, wait for a TRD clutch pay the premium and enjoy a very tough clutch, that has linear engagement, that will hold 300whp, if you need more bite buy the grey TRD version from japan, if you need more than that, get a clutch made for 800whp to hold your 400whp+ set up yeah it may be expensive but it wont blow up on you and it will last a LONG time plus blown clutches can ruin a bell housing and you may need to replace it in the end as well as a new pressure plate that cant be resurfaced

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshFRS (Post 516546)
Emailed Across/carbonetic. they should have a carbon blade clutch out for sale in the new year. email said it should be able to hold about 300-350lb/ft using their pressure plate. but thats all i got from them.

here is to hoping that ACT has a Pro-Lite Flywheel at SEMA. 9lbs would be about perfect on this car i think.


a 9 lb flywhell may be great on the track but if you arent used to it i wouldnt get it for DD use, i went form a stock 12lb flywheel to a 10lb then to a 7.8lb flywheel on my celica, i knew i would have hated myself if i went straight to the 7.8lb flywheel first instead of graduating

FreshFRS 10-24-2012 02:34 PM

i come from a Honda s2000 with an 8.8lb ACT flywheel. does make it easier to stall but i'm used to it after a couple years of lightfly fun. and i did the same thing from stock to 13lb to 8.8 made the transition easier thats for sure :thumbup:

RedRocket 10-24-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshFRS (Post 517808)
i come from a Honda s2000 with an 8.8lb ACT flywheel. does make it harder to stall but i'm used to it after a couple years of lightfly fun. and i did the same thing from stock to 13lb to 8.8 made the transition easier thats for sure :thumbup:


A lightweight flywheel makes it HARDER to stall? I thought it would stall easier... Never did flywheel

cf6mech 10-24-2012 08:57 PM

Easier.....for sure.

FreshFRS 10-24-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocket (Post 518461)
A lightweight flywheel makes it HARDER to stall? I thought it would stall easier... Never did flywheel

oops good catch guys! fixed :happy0180:

Coheed 10-25-2012 03:40 AM

I had a Spec clutch in my super sentra. It was great, smooth and quiet engagement. They rated it for 450tq but it held around 380wtq before wanting to slip if hot. Overall, best clutch I've ever had. I did have a sintered iron solid hub before it, it was extremely harsh but held 430wtq.

Supermassive 10-25-2012 07:09 AM

I just ordered the Clutchmasters FX400. I was originally going to go with the FX300 but its only rated up to 350ish ft/lbs of torque. That should be suitable for most of my driving but I do also plan on running this car with just about that much torque so I figured I'd go for tge 400 which is rated up to 500ft/lbs just to be safe. It will be a while before I install it though, since I need to find an Ecutek tuner in the Phoenix area so I can get my P&L system tuned for E85. Wish I could fly Visconti out here to do it, but I'm not that rich :)

King Tut 10-25-2012 03:56 PM

Are you going to be installing it yourself? It should would be nice to get some pictures for a DIY article as most of us soon to be forced induction owners are going to need to put a clutch in.

Supermassive 10-25-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 520090)
Are you going to be installing it yourself? It should would be nice to get some pictures for a DIY article as most of us soon to be forced induction owners are going to need to put a clutch in.

Yeah I'm installing it myself, I am trying to do all of the installations on my car so I know how everything goes together, so I can fix it if it breaks. Just did my KW's which was pretty easy once I figured out what to take off and what to leave on so I figure the clutch will be a handfull the first time I do it but once Ive done it one time any other times should be smooth! I'll try to do a how to when I install it but I wont wont make any promises, as I usually start something and forget to document it etc.

King Tut 10-26-2012 02:48 PM

Same here man. Once I get on a roll, I find it hard to stop and take photos of the process. I do all my work on my cars and have done a clutch install on a Miata and my SpecE30 previously.

RaceTech 10-27-2012 10:14 PM

I have an FX400 Clutch/Flywheel kit for sale in the FS section of this forum for someone interested..Looking to get rid of it ASAP.

staycrushing 10-27-2012 10:30 PM

i am going to be running the act street disc, heavy duty pressure plate. and streetlite flywheel after sema.... parts are in at the shop, just didnt have enough time to install it and finish body work in time.

ACT is rad... ive blown through 3 transmissions on my 240 and it still is holding up lol.

FreshFRS 10-27-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staycrushing (Post 524172)
i am going to be running the act street disc, heavy duty pressure plate. and streetlite flywheel after sema.... parts are in at the shop, just didnt have enough time to install it and finish body work in time.

ACT is rad... ive blown through 3 transmissions on my 240 and it still is holding up lol.

They make great stuff thats for sure. i'm waiting till a Pro-lite comes out though and i'll probably go with carbonetic's Blade clutch as it offers reduced inertia and slightly less weight.

NetMagi 10-29-2012 01:24 PM

Just out of curiosity, what will the stock clutch/pressure plate RELIABLY hold?

-Rich H.

FreshFRS 10-29-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetMagi (Post 526478)
Just out of curiosity, what will the stock clutch/pressure plate RELIABLY hold?

-Rich H.

i believe it started to slip at 280whp, i read that in one of the turbo build threads. so 240whp should be fine.

usptwins 10-29-2012 07:31 PM

I believe its more of what the torque capability is. I think the wtq was around 280. it was mroe hp than that though.

FreshFRS 10-29-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usptwins (Post 527163)
I believe its more of what the torque capability is. I think the wtq was around 280. it was mroe hp than that though.

That could be totally true. I could had gotten it mixed up for sure.

usptwins 10-29-2012 09:42 PM

Its cool, i think they were well over 300whp and as far as ive seen, usually they are making about 100hp more than tq. But, i could be wrong. Just sayn

NetMagi 11-09-2012 03:32 PM

All good news. . ~20% more HP/torque will make this car nearly perfect if the increase in weight and the balance is kept is minimal.

I know, I know. . "but I want 350hp". . Go buy a mustang. :)

-Rich H.

staycrushing 11-10-2012 04:51 PM

ACT HD-SS ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

_F-R-S_ 11-10-2012 04:53 PM

250 hp is enough just strip the car your good

Supermassive 11-11-2012 08:04 AM

My plan is to have two maps for the FRS one for 91 octane crap that is generally available everywhere and another E85 tune for when i want to hunt Corvettes and Porsches. The P&L turbo kit with my P&L full exhaust should be good for about 250-280HP on 91 and 440+ on E85.

RedRocket 11-11-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 550861)
My plan is to have two maps for the FRS one for 91 octane crap that is generally available everywhere and another E85 tune for when i want to hunt Corvettes and Porsches. The P&L turbo kit with my P&L full exhaust should be good for about 250-280HP on 91 and 440+ on E85.

440+ on E85 with New injectors and Fuel pump, and a dozen other supporting mods? OR ARE YOU JUST FREE BALLING IT? If so... You sir are a brave soul.

Supermassive 11-11-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocket (Post 550893)
440+ on E85 with New injectors and Fuel pump, and a dozen other supporting mods? OR ARE YOU JUST FREE BALLING IT? If so... You sir are a brave soul.

New 700cc injectors, new fuel pump, and Ecutek tuning. Thats it for now, Im waiting on companies to start releasing low compression pistons and stronger con rods so I can get more power from gas so I dont have to rely on corn juice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.