Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Wobble, falling apart, loose joints? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20076)

imravenit 10-18-2012 12:43 AM

Wobble, falling apart, loose joints?
 
Im not sure if its just my car but lately ive been noticing a weird shift of the tires from left to right as if the chassis was separated from the suspension/wheels for a second.. it feels like a bad toe or worn out tires etc.. But all of these are good.. Car drives straight steering wheel is straight.. Tires are new.. Car is brand neq.. Only 1,500 miles ..and this is while driving the car straight fwy speed.. Its pretty scary and Inconsistent.. ive been trying to rule out if its the pavement but it is not.. Im worried it mightt be a loose joint? Or idk.. Anybody else?

gmookher 10-18-2012 01:09 AM

try new tires, worked for me

Grishbok 10-18-2012 01:17 AM

Did you hit a curb with your rear wheel by anychance?

Jun_ 10-18-2012 01:20 AM

This also happens to me sometimes. It seems like it's the pavement, or maybe wind.. But I'm not too sure. My car only has 700 miles on it at the moment, maybe I still need time to break in the tires. But yeah, you're not the only one experiencing this weird occurrence.

v12 10-18-2012 01:23 AM

Car is brand neq.. Only 1500k miles

Jun_ 10-18-2012 01:27 AM

^Dat mileage. Hahahaha. Didn't notice that mistake.

imravenit 10-18-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 504481)
Car is brand neq.. Only 1500k miles


oopss! 1,500 miles only..

and tires are pretty brand new.. like i said car only has 1,500 miles..

ahausheer 10-18-2012 01:58 AM

Tramlining from groves in the pavement? Loose tie rod end or ball joint, brake drag? Hard to say from few symptoms. No weird sounds? Alignment could be off so that the toe in or out sort of fights each other, net would be to travel straight but they are both pulling on opposite ways? Hard to say. I notice this in my solara only when there are groves parallel to travel and it can be significant pull, once near an airport a downdraft from a vary low airplane pushed me over half a lane.

imravenit 10-18-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahausheer (Post 504527)
Tramlining from groves in the pavement? Loose tie rod end or ball joint, brake drag? Hard to say from few symptoms. No weird sounds? Alignment could be off so that the toe in or out sort of fights each other, net would be to travel straight but they are both pulling on opposite ways? Hard to say. I notice this in my solara only when there are groves parallel to travel and it can be significant pull, once near an airport a downdraft from a vary low airplane pushed me over half a lane.


thing is that the car drive straight and theres is no pull atleast 97% of the time.. so i doubt its the alignment.. tires are new.. car is brand new... hmmm.. i really gotta get this car in a rack.. so i could take a look whats going on underneath.. cuz even sometimes it happens on a flat surface/road..

three3y3wrbbrz 03-12-2013 11:58 PM

I experience the same thing i notice that the rear wobbles from side to side when turning at slow speed and when i back out of p spaces...but when i push it the car is a monster...i love how it drives when its pushed but i dont like how the car has so many issues as a new car.....and it seems im not the only one having the same issues ...i also notice folks are hearing squeaking noise at idle....its annoying and shouldnt be happening with a new car..

OrbitalEllipses 03-13-2013 12:14 AM

Wind. The front and rear of this car lift in a headwind, especially of the exhaust has been replaced. Remember the car is fairly light; wind and dirty air WILL make a difference.

zc06_kisstherain 03-13-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 789954)
Wind. The front and rear of this car lift in a headwind, especially of the exhaust has been replaced. Remember the car is fairly light; wind and dirty air WILL make a difference.


I drive highway most of the time so I agree with OrbitalEllipses.
this car is light and have affect from wind

fistpoint 03-13-2013 02:20 AM

Pretty sure I felt this on my third turn...car having less than 20 miles. I figured it one of the secrets to getting the ass out easily. To me it felt like the weight of the car shifted. It was a mild turn too, nothing special.
.
.
.
Didn't feel anything like it after a nice cruise just now to finish getting that nasty dealership gas out.

strat61caster 03-13-2013 12:39 PM

Disagree on the wind, it's too small. But I'm used to my 20 year old truck with sloppy steering driving over a bridge with strong winds that make you want to change lanes so maybe I'm biased.

I feel the exact same thing on certain freeways, the pavement isn't flat (despite what your eyes tell you) and will push the car around a bit depending on how the tarmac wears. Start paying attention to when it happens and you should be able to narrow it down to certain sections of road (or weather conditions, it may still be wind).

sho220 03-13-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imravenit (Post 504417)
Im not sure if its just my car but lately ive been noticing a weird shift of the tires from left to right as if the chassis was separated from the suspension/wheels for a second.. it feels like a bad toe or worn out tires etc.. But all of these are good.. Car drives straight steering wheel is straight.. Tires are new.. Car is brand neq.. Only 1,500 miles ..and this is while driving the car straight fwy speed.. Its pretty scary and Inconsistent.. ive been trying to rule out if its the pavement but it is not.. Im worried it mightt be a loose joint? Or idk.. Anybody else?

I had it happen to me, but just one time. It was exactly as you described...it was a bit freaky actually. Hasn't happened since that one time, so I have no idea what it was. I do know it wasn't wind, and I don't think it was the road surface. Car probably only had a few thousand miles on it at the time. It felt like something squirrly with the chassis...:iono:

Kodename47 03-13-2013 05:50 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned tire pressures, would be my first check. Especially if temperatures have changed since you got the car.

FirestormFRS 03-13-2013 07:47 PM

Wind is devilish with this car. Passing semi's on the interstate when you hit the blast from the front of their vehicle my car moves to the left every time. I vote wind

White64Goat 03-13-2013 08:13 PM

Lug nuts all tight?

sierra 03-13-2013 08:33 PM

I had this a few times with less than 1000km on the clock but not since. The only conclusion I can make is it was the tyres and now they've bedded in?

fistpoint 03-13-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirestormFRS (Post 791777)
Wind is devilish with this car. Passing semi's on the interstate when you hit the blast from the front of their vehicle my car moves to the left every time. I vote wind

I also made note of how easily this car is blasted sideways by wind on my drive home from the dealership(particularly 18 wheelers). The funny part is that this is the heaviest vehicle I have ever owned and is within 20lbs of my old car I still drive after 10 years. Only the 2300lb 5th Gen Civic moved this much from my experience.

Maybe it's the panels underneath the car? ;)

Deepseadiver 03-14-2013 03:59 AM

Wind! Happens when I am driving on the H-3 here in Hawaii.

FirestormFRS 03-14-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver (Post 792634)
Wind! Happens when I am driving on the H-3 here in Hawaii.

Rub it in why don't ya

Nightwalker 04-22-2014 05:22 PM

I had this same issue basically exactly what you were talking about. I went to get new tires and I ended up getting the continental DSW tires thinking that it would fix the problem and it didnt. So basically after they were inspecting my rims and discovered that the lower ball joint was really loose so I took it to my dealer and they said it was covered under warranty and I only have 15,000 miles on my fr-s. I would get alot of vibration and wobble and it was especially scary on the highway but basically the lower ball joint is responsible for keeping the whole wheel on the car and if that breaks then bye bye tires and hello accident. I would have them check you lower ball joints to see if there is any play. You probably hit a pothole and it made it loose. Tires do play a huge role in helping the overall drive of your car because I mostly do highway driving as well. It basically looked like I was drunk driving hahaha. Hope this helps brah

Burrcold 04-22-2014 06:03 PM

I've definitely been freaked out by the amount this car jostles around when it's windy or passing semi's (especially when you get crosswinds when on a multilane freeway). It's even worse when you have a softer compound winter tire, and the steering response gets lazy. That combo can lead to a white knuckle drive.

sero901 04-23-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwalker (Post 1690456)
I had this same issue basically exactly what you were talking about. I went to get new tires and I ended up getting the continental DSW tires thinking that it would fix the problem and it didnt. So basically after they were inspecting my rims and discovered that the lower ball joint was really loose so I took it to my dealer and they said it was covered under warranty and I only have 15,000 miles on my fr-s. I would get alot of vibration and wobble and it was especially scary on the highway but basically the lower ball joint is responsible for keeping the whole wheel on the car and if that breaks then bye bye tires and hello accident. I would have them check you lower ball joints to see if there is any play. You probably hit a pothole and it made it loose. Tires do play a huge role in helping the overall drive of your car because I mostly do highway driving as well. It basically looked like I was drunk driving hahaha. Hope this helps brah


There has been a few other people here say as well that they found their lower balljoint loose, all on new cars. For sure worth looking into.

sittinSideways 03-29-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imravenit (Post 504417)
Im not sure if its just my car but lately ive been noticing a weird shift of the tires from left to right as if the chassis was separated from the suspension/wheels for a second.. it feels like a bad toe or worn out tires etc.. But all of these are good.. Car drives straight steering wheel is straight.. Tires are new.. Car is brand neq.. Only 1,500 miles ..and this is while driving the car straight fwy speed.. Its pretty scary and Inconsistent.. ive been trying to rule out if its the pavement but it is not.. Im worried it mightt be a loose joint? Or idk.. Anybody else?

Are you holding the steering wheel at a steady angle, and then the car suddenly turns in super quick, so quick that traction control kicks in?

Or is that you are going straight, and the car seems to follow the road and shift around?

If it's the first one, I'd say broken ball joint. But unless you hit anything you shouldn't have any problems with your ball joint


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.