Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   (TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18384)

xpicer 09-27-2012 01:02 AM

(TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Finally, the fix has been posted on Toyota TIS. Time to schedule your visit to the dealer!!!!

Thanks to another member we now have the suby version as well!!! enjoy guys!!!

http://www.teknikrayon.net/docs/BRZ_fuelpumpTSB.pdf

mechaghost 09-27-2012 01:04 AM

Oh baby. Hopefully Subaru will do the same thing too

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 01:17 AM

SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP YES YES YES FINALLY

DaJo 09-27-2012 01:21 AM

Are they using the same exact part?... Their parts number are the "same" ... :iono:

TBBandit 09-27-2012 01:22 AM

Thanks times 100... been driving me crazy

mechaghost 09-27-2012 01:23 AM

Question is, do we need to change them out immediately or risk engine failure? The cricket sounds kinda grew on me ;P

Sigh-on-Rice 09-27-2012 01:25 AM

Good news! Thanks for posting. :)

jflogerzi 09-27-2012 01:27 AM

I will let a few people try it out first.

Guff 09-27-2012 01:28 AM

Hmmm, replace the entire HPFP assembly... Didn't think it would be that extreme...


Oh well, as long as they are fixing it...

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 462825)
Are they using the same exact part?... Their parts number are the "same" ... :iono:

I noted this as well.

In engineering, and specifically in document control, we often refer to the revision and version of a design. Those words may sound the same, but frequently they're set apart by the form-fit-function standard.

Changes which impact form, fit or function are revision changes, whereas small updates that don't substantially change a given design are version changes.

Put another way, you can mix inventory of parts of varying version, usually. One would never mix inventory of differing revisions.

Based on this part number curiosity, it would seem that this isn't deemed a major change. It could be that the problem has a low incidence rate overall -- or at least, a low estimated incidence rate. And so, the "bad" parts are still actually useable and good, and can be used to depletion in current manufacturing. When this defect does actually manifest itself, those customers who bring their cars in will have the updated part installed, from the same inventory pool -- and likely won't but possibly may have the chirp return, in which case they're sure to just come back with their car...again, to receive repair parts from the same inventory pool. It may truly be that this defect is just not common. But eventually, all of the previous version parts will be consumed anyway, and this problem should be dead going forward.

It's the not-issue that Toyota and Subaru decided to not-not-fix. :lol: :sigh:

About time. This one shouldn't have made it out the door.

Hopefully that makes sense. I don't really know how a Toyota part number is structured, but it's probably something like this.

WolfsFang 09-27-2012 01:42 AM

oh i go in for my free oil change on friday, looks like i might bring this in with me also.

TRD_86 09-27-2012 01:44 AM

This is great !

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soconfoozed (Post 462850)
It may truly be that this defect is just not common.

Seriously? Like 80% of people on this forum are reporting it.
And in many states 3-4 repair attempts for the same issue = lemon law.

It would be stupid to be replacing it with the same exact HPFP.

SuperDave 09-27-2012 01:47 AM

i'm gonna take my car to a scion dealership...

DaJo 09-27-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soconfoozed (Post 462850)
I noted this as well.

In engineering, and specifically in document control, we often refer to the revision and version of a design. Those words may sound the same, but frequently they're set apart by the form-fit-function standard.

Changes which impact form, fit or function are revision changes, whereas small updates that don't substantially change a given design are version changes.

Put another way, you can mix inventory of parts of varying version, usually. One would never mix inventory of differing revisions.

Based on this part number curiosity, it would seem that this isn't deemed a major change. It could be that the problem has a low incidence rate overall -- or at least, a low estimated incidence rate. And so, the "bad" parts are still actually useable and good, and can be used to depletion in current manufacturing. When this defect does actually manifest itself, those customers who bring their cars in will have the updated part installed, from the same inventory pool -- and likely won't but possibly may have the chirp return, in which case they're sure to just come back with their car...again, to receive repair parts from the same inventory pool. It may truly be that this defect is just not common. But eventually, all of the previous version parts will be consumed anyway, and this problem should be dead going forward.

It's the not-issue that Toyota and Subaru decided to not-not-fix. :lol: :sigh:

About time. This one shouldn't have made it out the door.

Hopefully that makes sense. I don't really know how a Toyota part number is structured, but it's probably something like this.

Haha, thanks! That made enough sense for me to comprehend. :w00t:

Hopefully these "new" old HPFP work well for the folks who experience the chirp...and crossing my fingers that those that chirped are just a bad batch.

MF_DEUCE 09-27-2012 01:49 AM

Wait...

i just read this and it seems a bit odd or a bit confusing

Quote:

NOTE
• A mechanical ticking noise from the High
Pressure Fuel Pump Assembly is normal
during Direct Injection system operation.
• This bulletin should only be performed if
an abnormal high pitch chirp or squeak
noise from the High Pressure Fuel Pump
is verified.
so whats the difference? is there always going to be a chirp/squek noise?

DaJo 09-27-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 462863)
Seriously? Like 80% of people on this forum are reporting it.
And in many states 3-4 repair attempts for the same issue = lemon law.

It would be stupid to be replacing it with the same exact HPFP.

Yes; 80%, but how about those who don't have the problem?

It's already been talked about... Those who don't have the problem usually don't come on here and complain about how theirs are working perfectly normal.

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 01:51 AM

Ticking is normal. Chirp sounds like a loose belt on an old car. If you don't have that sound at warm idle - don't bother with this TSB.

DaJo 09-27-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE (Post 462867)
Wait...

i just read this and it seems a bit odd or a bit confusing



so whats the difference? is there always going to be a chirp/squek noise?

No; they are talking about the "ticking" noise the boxer engine w/ multi-port injections naturally produces... which is normal.

The high-pitch chirping; however, is NOT.

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 462869)
Yes; 80%, but how about those who don't have the problem?

It's already been talked about... Those who don't have the problem usually don't come on here and complain about how theirs are working perfectly normal.

500 (really a lower bound) cars out of a few thousand cars sold that made it to 1k miles as of yet - is still a very high incidence rate.

MF_DEUCE 09-27-2012 01:54 AM

I do have the chirp and went to the dealer 2 weeks ago. was told it was normal and that mechanics had worked on a previous fr-s for "hours" and found nothing wrong. So, hopefully by taking this to them, they'll see that the chirp is not normal.

thanks for confirming!

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 462863)
Seriously? Like 80% of people on this forum are reporting it.
And in many states 3-4 repair attempts for the same issue = lemon law.

It would be stupid to be replacing it with the same exact HPFP.

This is just how part numbering works.

Like I said, I don't know how a Toyota PN is structured. It could be that the rev and the version aren't shown in the PN. The TSB would then still rightly call out the same PN, but their MRP/inventory system would certainly call for the current revision.

I would be loath to draw statistical conclusions from forum data.

My build date is 4/14, took delivery 5/29. I was down for a month for the CEL/slip P0019 cam sprocket/ECU business. The only thing I haven't seen yet is the taillight moisture. Trust me, I'm last in line to apologize for Subaru or Toyota.

By the way, the "80%" you refer to is 80% of those responding to a survey in the issues subforum specifically regarding the chirp (or the hirp as I like to call it). That's not exactly the place to build a statistical argument, for obvious reasons.

dsgerbc 09-27-2012 02:02 AM

With full statistical backing I can tell you that if a survey of 10% of vehicles sold shows 80% incidence, then a true incidence is at least 8% which is already large.

So I really hope they revised the pump w/o changing the numbers. With TSB out they will have no choice but to repair'em again is this fix doesn't work, and then, after a few more tries, have to buy back those cars. Even MBA grads can calculate that it will cost dough, which is why I think they revised the pump.

SuperDave 09-27-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soconfoozed (Post 462880)
This is just how part numbering works.

Like I said, I don't know how a Toyota PN is structured. It could be that the rev and the version aren't shown in the PN. The TSB would then still rightly call out the same PN, but their MRP/inventory system would certainly call for the current revision.

I would be loath to draw statistical conclusions from forum data.

My build date is 4/14, took delivery 5/29. I was down for a month for the CEL/slip P0019 cam sprocket/ECU business. The only thing I haven't seen yet is the taillight moisture. Trust me, I'm last in line to apologize for Subaru or Toyota.

By the way, the "80%" you refer to is 80% of those responding to a survey in the issues subforum specifically regarding the chirp (or the hirp as I like to call it). That's not exactly the place to build a statistical argument, for obvious reasons.

that sucks man, where'd you buy your car? bob baker?

fistpoint 09-27-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE (Post 462867)
Wait...

i just read this and it seems a bit odd or a bit confusing so whats the difference? is there always going to be a chirp/squek noise?

No, they are simply stating what many of us have countless times during the long thread about the chirp.

The ticking is normal DI sound, the cricket chirping is not normal.


Quote:

Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE (Post 462877)
I do have the chirp and went to the dealer 2 weeks ago. was told it was normal and that mechanics had worked on a previous fr-s for "hours" and found nothing wrong.

What they told you is standard practice when they don't know what is wrong with something. It makes most people go away and stay away. Dealers do not like performing warranty work, something about pennies on the dollar versus what they could charge a customer at normal rates.

rice_classic 09-27-2012 02:21 AM

I'll be damned.

I've been very clear about where I figured things will go and this was not it. I just figured chirping was going to be one of the quirks of this car. Wow, just wow.

Now here the 64 million dollar question... WHY was the TSB issued? Was it due to complaints or did they find something that actually presented a possible mechanical failure/issue?

Interdasting.

travace 09-27-2012 02:24 AM

looks like i was a couple days early ...
http://i50.tinypic.com/295ydm8.jpg

fistpoint 09-27-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice_classic (Post 462911)
I'll be damned.

I've been very clear about where I figured things will go and this was not it. I just figured chirping was going to be one of the quirks of this car. Wow, just wow.

Now here the 64 million dollar question... WHY was the TSB issued? Was it due to complaints or did they find something that actually presented a possible mechanical failure/issue?

Interdasting.

Who gives a shit why they issued it, they did! I might actually be ready to buy one now...as long as I can find one with a build date after what is posted here. I'd rather buy one with the "improved" part instead of having it fixed after the fact.

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 462885)
With full statistical backing I can tell you that if a survey of 10% of vehicles sold shows 80% incidence, then a true incidence is at least 8% which is already large.

So I really hope they revised the pump w/o changing the numbers. With TSB out they will have no choice but to repair'em again is this fix doesn't work, and then, after a few more tries, have to buy back those cars. Even MBA grads can calculate that it will cost dough, which is why I think they revised the pump.

For what it's worth, I never claimed there wasn't a design change.

You can't characterize the quality of the data. By my recollection more than one user posted samples of a non-chirping engine, claiming it chirps...and that's just users who posted with examples. Likewise, I think combined US sales are above 6k.

The potential incidence rate is high. But especially if the issue has already been addressed in new production, there's just no reason not to use a "bad" part that has a 90%+ likelihood of being good. You dump an order of magnitude every time you expect it to fail consecutively, and they're probably close to all being used up anyway. At some point you should start buying lottery tickets if you're worried about this.

Some proportion of customers probably won't notice, and some other proportion might think it's normal or possibly even accept it.

My issue with this noise all along has been that I didn't get to choose whether I accept it (I don't), and the car I signed for didn't sound like this...thus, I was willfully misled by Subaru.

fistpoint 09-27-2012 02:40 AM

If I'm reading the serials correctly, then the first 9025 vehicles are affected. I've been poking around AutoTrader using a 50 mile radius and viewing all the VIN's of available FR-S's.

The oldest entries are like Dx700050, Dx700069, Dx700179. I believe those to be the 50th, 69th, and 179th vehicles built. If that is correct, then that means there are several in my area that were built after the fix and ready for consumption.

deedz 09-27-2012 03:07 AM

about time! time to remove the intake :/

jstans84 09-27-2012 04:11 AM

Well, thank god I saw this thread, lol, I was just about to install my Injen intake when the sun came up. Looks like I will be holding off on that for a while.

*edit* Actually there really isn't a point in not installing the intake. Since this is a documented issue they can't claim that the intake caused it.

roddy 09-27-2012 06:53 AM

:happyanim:

enigmaaron 09-27-2012 07:59 AM

Good news, see people they are actually working to fix the problems. This should be moved to the TSB forum shouldn't it?

Justin.b 09-27-2012 08:04 AM

How do I read my VIN to determine if I am before the Effective VIN they published in the document?

I can't wait to get rid of this noise. It's been starting to bother me over the last few weeks - especially at the drive - through.

EDIT: Sorry... posted that pre-coffee.

-Justin

jeebus 09-27-2012 09:39 AM

based on the bulletin, this only applies to VINs before 9026....so they fixed it on cars going out the door?

Tanuki 09-27-2012 09:43 AM

sweet, I bet my new one comes fixed!

To be fair though, I only really notice the crickets when the car idols and I get out to grab something. I don't notice it while driving at all.

jadewbj 09-27-2012 09:58 AM

Hmm, i am actually before it but have never heard the crickets. I will have to listen more carefully. I don't want to get it just to get it.

xxscaxx 09-27-2012 10:04 AM

You don't need to listen carefully. If you have it, its EXTREMELY noticeable. It drives me nuts. Shutting the car off produces a crazy noise too from it.

jstans84 09-27-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedzman (Post 462953)
about time! time to remove the intake :/

Unless I'm completely mistaken you shouldn't need to remove your intake to get the dealer to fix this. Since there is a TSB about it and it is a noted issue on our cars they can't claim that your intake caused the problem. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.