Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   hot air thru vent (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15391)

boonFRS 08-23-2012 12:25 AM

hot air thru vent
 
Has anyone found a fix for this? The hot air that comes through the vent when AC is off. This annoy the hell out of me everyday. I've tried the recirculation trick and still doesn't work.

goke186 08-23-2012 12:29 AM

I've noticed that as well, if you turn on the DeFrost it will cool it down, I personally just deal with it blowing hot air because I'd rather not have the AC Compressor on all the time.

Mr.Jay 08-23-2012 12:32 AM

Yeah I noticed this as well

The air will cool down if you select the windshield option and let it run for a bit before switching it back or at least it does in mine

boonFRS 08-23-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goke186 (Post 397047)
I've noticed that as well, if you turn on the DeFrost it will cool it down, I personally just deal with it blowing hot air because I'd rather not have the AC Compressor on all the time.

I will try this tomorrow. I just don't want to be running my ac when I can just crack the window down a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Jay (Post 397053)
Yeah I noticed this as well

The air will cool down if you select the windshield option and let it run for a bit before switching it back or at least it does in mine

I've tried this and it doesn't work. I've just resorted to closing off all the vent in the car when I drive. I really hope this is a fix soon, It just annoy me because the air outside the vehicle is cooler than the ones coming in thru the vent.

Neziah 08-23-2012 01:28 AM

You need to turn on the re-circulation button to stop the hot air from coming through the vent when your not using it for anything else. Its the button in the middle of your vent selector. This is very common in new cars.

rikdrt1 08-23-2012 01:55 AM

i cant stand it too but have lived with it.
SCION needs to wake up and fix this..... Comon
b

DaJo 08-23-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goke186 (Post 397047)
I've noticed that as well, if you turn on the DeFrost it will cool it down, I personally just deal with it blowing hot air because I'd rather not have the AC Compressor on all the time.

As already discussed in another thread... You just need to live with it as the warm air is actually the ambient engine bay temperature air blowing into the cabin. Only suggestion is to switch it to recirculation mode and roll down the windows or turn AC on.

As for the Defrost and Windshield mode... If you switch any of these modes on; it automatically turns the AC on without the LED indicator hence why you felt the cooler air. It is safety standard for all newer vehicles. All it does is just defrost/defog your windows faster as AC takes moisture away quicker.

goke186 08-23-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 398253)
As already discussed in another thread... You just need to live with it as the warm air is actually the ambient engine bay temperature air blowing into the cabin. Only suggestion is to switch it to recirculation mode and roll down the windows or turn AC on.

As for the Defrost and Windshield mode... If you switch any of these modes on; it automatically turns the AC on without the LED indicator hence why you felt the cooler air. It is safety standard for all newer vehicles. All it does is just defrost/defog your windows faster as AC takes moisture away quicker.

Lol yes I know, not sure if you meant to quote the OP or if you thought that I was confused. :)

DaJo 08-23-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goke186 (Post 398274)
Lol yes I know, not sure if you meant to quote the OP or if you thought that I was confused. :)

It was directed to the OP, my mistake. :bonk:

s2kdrew 08-23-2012 03:10 PM

that is a safety feature now aday, this feature is available 10 years ago, it prevent people running out of oxygen when all the windows are up and blower off. Even recirclating mode, it will not fully block off fresh air from coming in. And the air is not from blower turning on, its from wind turbulance while the vehicle is driving, the faster it goes, the faster the air comes in, so some manufacturer will automaticlly turn down the blower speed to compensate with this turbulance while the vehicle is moving. its all normal, and I learned all these from school too.

goke186 08-23-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 398291)
It was directed to the OP, my mistake. :bonk:

Lol no worries :happy0180:

luxmn 08-23-2012 03:18 PM

not sure if yall talking about the same thing but here in texas i've seen 114F and after i switched from stock air filter to the K&N one, i see a big improvement in how cold the air comes out

boonFRS 08-23-2012 03:57 PM

I did a search and couldn't find a dedicated thread on it. The only things I've read about it was just the circulation trick. I wanted to know if someone found an actual fix/solution to it.

JWA 08-23-2012 04:09 PM

FWIW, studies have shown that the drag from having the windows opened hurts performance more than modern A/C compressors. Also, most modern compressors have clutches in them so they don't drag under acceleration.

Fun@55 09-08-2012 03:37 PM

I have the same issue. It's frustrating and it needs to be fixed:(

burnt_rice 09-08-2012 03:48 PM

Has nobody tried closing the vents? Seems to be the easiest fix I've found and this in not just a Scion thing as mentioned above.

DaJo 09-08-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun@55 (Post 429266)
I have the same issue. It's frustrating and it needs to be fixed:(

Can't fix what's not broken...

fistpoint 09-08-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 429303)
Can't fix what's not broken...

Lets ignore the fact that most cars do not have this issue, therefore allowing one to easily conclude that the design of the air system can in fact be made so that warm air doesn't blow when and where it shouldn't.

You're right it isn't broken, it's just poorly designed.

Neziah 09-08-2012 05:32 PM

And you can ignore the fact that many new cars are the same way, all you have to do is push the re-circulation button and the warm air will stop. It is really not that hard....

fistpoint 09-08-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neziah (Post 429437)
And you can ignore the fact that many new cars are the same way, all you have to do is push the re-circulation button and the warm air will stop. It is really not that hard....

I've used recirculate maybe 3 times in 9.5 years...I smoke and require the venting option. It really shouldn't be too difficult to make the tubes that carry the air to the cabin avoid engine pieces that warm it up higher than the outside temp.

Many new cars are this way? Then they also failed in the plumbing department. If a $13k 20 year old Civic design can avoid the issue, a 21st century designed car can too. You're right, it really isn't that hard.

YOU, are ignoring the fact that MOST vehicles do not exhibit this behavior.

Neziah 09-09-2012 11:50 PM

so you smoke with your windows up?

Also the last 3 new cars I've purchased had the same behavior. Too bad they didn't make the little wing windows work

goincarcrazy 09-10-2012 10:15 AM

My tC1 puts out air that's around 15 degrees hotter than the outside air. I'm not seeing a problem with this issue...

abitolder 09-10-2012 12:23 PM

in general running on recirc will eventually stink up the inside of your car due to humidity buildup, it is there to be used for short periods of time only for quick cool down when running A/C or to avoid unpleasant outside odors, you require a good dose of fresh air to dry it out. The hot air coming out of the vents is a design problem, it should be close to ambient outside temps. Running the A/C compressor will affect your mileage and power as no matter how efficient it still is a pump that is being driven by a belt, just an fyi

fistpoint 09-10-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neziah (Post 431283)
so you smoke with your windows up?

Also the last 3 new cars I've purchased had the same behavior. Too bad they didn't make the little wing windows work

Moonroof...the one part that I am still not quite 100% certain I can do without. These CEL, chirp issues come first though, then I'll worry about not having a window above me for the first time in over 20 years.

And I've never seen/felt this behavior, I guess it's the brands we choose? What make were your last 3? I've had nothing but Honda/Acura for 20+ years. I plan to secretly check all my friends cars for this. Cool outside air has finally hit Houston at night, so testing time is now.

JohnS_Rosamond 09-10-2012 10:40 PM

I don't know if this applies; The Mazda Miata has this issue with hot air through the vent, however since the air bypass is driven with a cable, you can adjust the cable so that the blend door closes a little more snugly. No more problem. I don't know how the blend door on the Toyobaru moves, but if someone had a service manual, you should be able to see if it has a cable that can be adjusted.

avp1 09-12-2012 09:45 AM

When you complain about hot air from vents, did you set air temperature control all the way down? In my BRZ I noticed that I have to set temperature to LO to get cold air without AC. At any other setting air was much hotter than outside.

#87 09-12-2012 09:53 AM

When it is above 70 ambient i notice warm air through vents, below that its fine. To me it just means I have to run with ac or windows down more often than I feel optimal but I don't really care. I am so happy there is not a sun roof though :)

White64Goat 09-12-2012 11:39 AM

I'll preface this with 'I haven't read the owners manual yet' about the A/C system, but I believe these cars have a cabin air filter (it does) which filters the outside air and this air is usually drawn from a vent that is below the windshield wipers in the cowl area. It should not be drawing air from the engine compartment.

I haven't looked under the hood as it pertains to this problem but I assume there is a rubber gasket along the rear of the engine compartment that seals against the back of the hood. (This prevents hot air from being drawn directly into that vent as it is pushed through the engine compartment).

If it's 50 degress outside and you have the A/C off, and on vent, I'd assume it should draw the 50 degree air in through the cabin filter and not be adding heat to it.

I have not had much time to fiddle with mine yet and will take a better look at it tonight and read the manual.

Mine is a BRZ Limited which has the dual area A/C/Heat controls and may be different from the Premium and the FR-S.

Well, the owners manual provides very little info on the outside air/recirculated air function or anything about temperature of the air. It also says "outside/recirculated air mode may automatically switch depending on the temperature setting or the inside temperature". Which is clear as mud.

White64Goat 09-13-2012 12:35 PM

Drove car this morning and had it set to outside air. It was 53 outside and I had temp control set at 60 and air was cool, not warm at all. Turned temp up to 72 and air got warm and vents changed automatically from feet & face to feet only. Had to change it back to face & feet manually. Turned temp back down to 60 and air was cool again. Not sure why you're getting warm air unless it is really hot outside, then you're going to have to run the A/C I'd imagine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.