Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   DC Sports Muffled Axleback (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153322)

JBezugs 05-10-2023 03:20 PM

DC Sports Muffled Axleback
 
As some of you have seen, I've been having a consistent crisis of trying to find an axle-back/cat-back that will add a bit of tone over my current setup (JDL 4-2-1 EL header, stock everything else, 5 x JDM exhaust hangers) without the horrid drone these cars get when pairing catless headers with most other exhaust options; all while staying at a reasonable price. I used to have the Invidia R400 and while it was great with the stock header, it was brutal when paired with the JDL.

Axle-backs were definitely my preference as I get to keep the OEM midpipe and it's massive resonator, and they are quick and easy to install/remove in case the setup ends up being too drony for my liking. But, with axle-backs, the only previous options were obnoxiously loud but cheap (various muffler delete pipes), or prohibitively expensive but quiet (Fujitsubo S, HKS Legamax, Borla, STi, etc.).

As of yesterday however, that changed! A new muffled (!!!) axleback option from DC Sports just came out with a quiet, suitcase style muffler similar to the expensive options. It seems to be similar in volume in tone to the Fujitsubo, but at half the price. This might be the option I'm looking for.

EDIT: product page here (thanks @Clipdat): https://dcsports.com/collections/sta...1-brz-frs-gt86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CAk3oY7s1g


EDIT 2: Got it installed on the car! Impressions in the thread on page 2, but for sound clips are here:

https://youtu.be/uqyCZm-q-h0

Clipdat 05-10-2023 04:16 PM

Product page: https://dcsports.com/collections/sta...1-brz-frs-gt86

worldrallyblue 05-11-2023 01:51 AM

Not bad... $420. Do you think Nameless is worth almost double the price?

RToyo86 05-11-2023 05:40 AM

Looks like you will want a 13-16 midpipe for that flange connection. Otherwise that's pretty inexpensive :thumbup:

JBezugs 05-11-2023 08:40 AM

DC Sports Muffled Axleback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3580327)
Looks like you will want a 13-16 midpipe for that flange connection. Otherwise that's pretty inexpensive :thumbup:


Taking a look at the product page, the flange has its mounting holes elongated to accommodate for the mid pipe flange on the 17-21 cars.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...85a8a51764.jpg


I ordered it! 10% discount code (DC10) brought it down to just over 500CAD. Figured at that price it’s reasonable enough to give it a try. Plus, the install of just the axle back compared to doing a full cat-back system is very quick, so minimal time sink there as well.

Will report back once I get it on the car.

Clipdat 05-11-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldrallyblue (Post 3580317)
Not bad... $420. Do you think Nameless is worth almost double the price?

It's not really a question of price, it's more about the sound and the design. This DC Sports has a similar volume and tone to my Fujitsubo Authorize S axleback, as far as what I can tell from the video. Obviously, at a much lower price.

The Nameless on the other hand is a very loud muffler setup, even when you install it on a twin that has everything else stock in the exhaust. I imagine it becomes unbearable if you do any upstream exhaust mods with it.

@JBezugs Congrats on your purchase, looking forward to pics once it arrives. It appears to be very well made.

worldrallyblue 05-11-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3580389)
It's not really a question of price, it's more about the sound and the design. This DC Sports has a similar volume and tone to my Fujitsubo Authorize S axleback, as far as what I can tell from the video. Obviously, at a much lower price.

The Nameless on the other hand is a very loud muffler setup, even when you install it on a twin that has everything else stock in the exhaust. I imagine it becomes unbearable if you do any upstream exhaust mods with it.

@JBezugs Congrats on your purchase, looking forward to pics once it arrives. It appears to be very well made.

Thanks for the info. The Nameless AB comes either as muffler-delete or dual-5" mufflers, so are you saying even the muffled one is super loud? I prefer something closer to OEM+

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Clipdat 05-11-2023 03:39 PM

Correct, even the 5" muffler one is super loud. Mostly due to the fact that it's two separate mufflers so it effectively doubles your sound output.

For OEM+ you're looking at this DC Sports one, the Fujitsubo Authorize S, STi axleback, Borla Axleback, or the HKS Legamax Premium Axle Back. Basically anything with a large suitcase canister single entry dual exit design.

worldrallyblue 05-11-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3580400)
Correct, even the 5" muffler one is super loud. Mostly due to the fact that it's two separate mufflers so it effectively doubles your sound output.

For OEM+ you're looking at this DC Sports one, the Fujitsubo Authorize S, STi axleback, Borla Axleback, or the HKS Legamax Premium Axle Back. Basically anything with a large suitcase canister single entry dual exit design.

Ah that makes sense about the sound being doubled. The price is right for the DC Sports so I'm leaning towards that now

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Clipdat 05-11-2023 03:52 PM

Nice! SS tips?

worldrallyblue 05-11-2023 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3580402)
Nice! SS tips?

Probably the burnt tips to go with my WR blue BRZ (see username [emoji28])

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Clipdat 05-11-2023 04:08 PM

Meh. I'll allow it. Just this once.

NoHaveMSG 05-11-2023 05:35 PM

The Ultra quiet track pipe is not bad. I would say DD able with the right front pipe setup. I've been running it for a couple years, it's only loud on cold start. I am running catless header and 3" FP with high flow cat and resonator.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com...et-track-pipe/

JBezugs 05-12-2023 11:59 AM

Got updated tracking for the axle-back; should be in my hands on Monday. I will probably be eager enough to install it the same day. Looking forward to it!

Clipdat 05-12-2023 12:01 PM

Hell yeah! I think it'll be just the ticket and go perfectly with your other exhaust mods.

Did you get the SS or burnt tips?

RToyo86 05-12-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBezugs (Post 3580517)
Got updated tracking for the axle-back; should be in my hands on Monday. I will probably be eager enough to install it the same day. Looking forward to it!

Wow that's fast turnaround, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

JBezugs 05-12-2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3580518)
Hell yeah! I think it'll be just the ticket and go perfectly with your other exhaust mods.

Did you get the SS or burnt tips?

SS tips! I had the burnt tips last go around with the R400 and they got kinda nasty looking pretty quickly lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3580520)
Wow that's fast turnaround, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Yup, super quick! I did pick the 3-5 day expedited shipping option over the slower option, but that means its Fedex ground (vs. the slower option which was USPS/Canada Post I'm guessing). Really hoping I don't get nailed hard on duties/brokerage fees, but only time will tell now :lol:

RToyo86 05-12-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBezugs (Post 3580526)
Yup, super quick! I did pick the 3-5 day expedited shipping option over the slower option, but that means its Fedex ground (vs. the slower option which was USPS/Canada Post I'm guessing). Really hoping I don't get nailed hard on duties/brokerage fees, but only time will tell now :lol:

Duty should not be much but you will likely see a "brokerage fee" which can often be equal value to the duties.

As a reference the CSG touring I ordered had around $80 in brokerage and $80 in duty via UPS. It was also 3x price of this

JBezugs 05-16-2023 01:18 PM

DC Sports Muffled Axleback
 
Exhaust arrived this morning! Wasted no time getting it installed over lunch.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...63b07ccbe8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...efa41cf84f.jpg

The axle back weighs a bit less than factory too! Factory unit weighed in at 29.1lbs, with the new one coming in at 20.7lbs.

Welds are super nice quality, and the notched bolt holes ensures it bolts straight up to pre-and-post-facelift mid pipes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7aabd34e5e.jpg

Took it for a good 30 minute drive right after to get impressions and how does it sound? 100% perfect. Seriously. Has a very mature, smooth and pleasing tone. It's very mellow with just enough depth at very low RPMs pulling away from a stop, and retains its mellowness while not being too deep as RPMs increase. It lets you know it’s there when you're putting around town or accelerating hard, but as soon as you are holding steady state RPM it shuts right up. Very OEM+.

And the best part, ZERO DRONE on the highway! Literally ZERO! You get a slight bit of exhaust noise at speed (like a very light, pleasant background hum) but with zero resonance/drone in the cabin. At 130kph (80mph) going uphill, which used to be downright unbearable and headache inducing with my old Invidia R400, this axleback is the opposite.

This is all the more impressive considering I have a catless header. It is so hard to find an exhaust option that doesn't drone when these cars have headers. But this is definitely a solid option, and probably the most reasonably priced option of them all.

Sound clips to follow, but yeah, I am beyond impressed. If you are looking for a true OEM+ exhaust option that sounds good but is truly daily-driver comfortable, especially if you have headers, look no further.

Clipdat 05-16-2023 01:24 PM

Very nice. Thanks for the photos and initial impressions. Quality looks good for the price. Kinda weird how the right exit pipe bends down like that as well but I guess it's to match the left.

How's the horizontal tip alignment, and are the tips completely centered in the cutouts when viewing from the rear?

JBezugs 05-16-2023 01:31 PM

DC Sports Muffled Axleback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3580935)
Very nice. Thanks for the photos and initial impressions. Quality looks good for the price. Kinda weird how the right exit pipe bends down like that as well but I guess it's to match the left.

How's the horizontal tip alignment, and are the tips completely centered in the cutouts when viewing from the rear?

Yeah I thought that was a little weird too - I wonder if they could flip the bend on the left side so that it goes over the entry pipe instead of under but maybe there would be clearance issues with that.

The tips are pretty much centered! Once I get the car back out of the garage I'll take a better picture, but for now:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ee72139237.jpg

Clipdat 05-16-2023 01:33 PM

Wow, that is pretty spot on. Again, impressive for the price. Very nice.

Mathmk7r 05-17-2023 01:18 PM

Very nice, too bad nothing for the second gen :(

JBezugs 05-17-2023 07:47 PM

Took the car out today to record some clips. Shitty GoPro mic wasn't the best for the interior shots but it's enough to get a sense I think. I was lifting at the last few seconds of that steady state clip which is why the exhaust sounds a bit louder there. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/uqyCZm-q-h0


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.