Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   ZC6 - OEM+ Daily Driver (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153223)

villainous_frx 04-21-2023 09:12 PM

ZC6 - OEM+ Daily Driver
 
https://i.imgur.com/1XYSdRs.jpg

I've been daily driving my track focused 86 for the better part of a year and decided it was time for a daily. So I did the most responsible thing and doubled down on this platform. I'll be picking the car up end of May 2023, and already have a pile to make this car an 'OEM+ Daily Driver'. The car is coming with the basic 'build' consisting of exhaust + suspension + bushings. Parts list is as follows:

Engine:
• Gruppe-S Unequal Length Header
• Tanabe Overpipe - UTAN-T50166X
• Tactrix Openport 2.0
• TRD Engine Mount - 12311-ZN600/12315-ZN600
• Optima Yellowtop - D35 9040-218
• SARD High Pressure Radiator Cap - 61006
• Subaru JDM Exhaust Tips
Drivetrain / Suspension:
• Ohlins MP20 Road & Track coilovers - SUS MP20
• Raceseng Camber + Caster top hats - 3619101-0922-09251-09201
• Mtec Shifter Springs - MSL86
• Verus clutch fork + pivot - A0092A/A0068A
• Perrin Shifter Mount Bushing - PSP-INR-006
• Whiteline Rear Lower Control Arm -KTA216A
• Whiteline Front Endlinks - KLC179
• Whiteline Subframe - Mount Bushing - KDT921
• Whiteline Rear Differential - Cradle Bushing - KDT924
• Whiteline Front Transmission - Mount Bushing - KDT926
Brakes / Wheels / Tires:
• STI Japan Option Wheels 17x7.5 +48 - Kumho ECSTA PA51 225/45/17
• Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 - Silver 245/40/17
• Subaru 12-16 OEM 17x7 - Kumho Wi31 215/45/17
• Endless MX72 Plus Pads - EP386472_Type_MX72_Plus_Full_Set
Exterior / Aero:
• Subaru JDM Sidemarker Lights - 84912CA130/84912CA120
• BaysonR REP STI Lip
• STI STI Side Skirt
• BaysonR STI Spats
• STI JDM Gurney Flap - ST96010AS000
• TOM'S JDM V1 Taillights
Interior:
• Cusco Acceleration Pedal Attachment - 965 766 A
• Vertex Shift Knob - Monochrome V2 White w/ Black
• Vertex Shift Knob - Monochrome V2 Black w/ White
• Vertex Shift Knob - Monochrome V2 White w/ Pink
• TRD Duracon Shift Knob - 33504-SP010-00
• TRD Duracon Shift Knob - 33504-SP010-01
• Cusco Shift Knob - 00B 760 1WW
• Lathewerks Titanium Teardrop - BRZ-TiTD
• STI Japan Shift Knob - ST35022ST400
• STI Push Engine Switch - ST83031ST031
• HachiElectronics Frameless HomeLink Mirror
• Toyota JDM Black Interior Trim
Fluids:
• Mobil1 Full Synth 5w30
• Redline MT90 75w90 - 50304 (Transmission)
• Motul Gear 300 - 100093 (Differential)
• Project Mu G-Four 335 - GF001 (Brake/Clutch)
Misc / Tools:
• Subaru Sunshade - SOA3991520
Previous parts:
• Tein Flex Z - VSQ54-CUSS4
• Invidia Resonated Front Pipe - HS12SSTFPDR
• GReddy Supreme SP Catback - GRE-10118206
• Perrin Motor Mounts
• OFT v2
• Subaru '17-'20 OEM Tail lights
• Subaru '20 OEM Damper + Springs
• Project Kics Leggdura - RL53-13K

autoracer86 04-22-2023 03:13 AM

This will be a great build. Can’t wait to see more and hear your impressions

jongers 04-22-2023 06:49 PM

I've been daily driving my 86 for the better part of a year and decided it was time for a daily. So I did the most responsible thing and doubled down on this platform

Yes. :popcorn:

villainous_frx 05-18-2023 08:58 PM

Picked up the car today. Landed at noon, went to the bank for a draft, Service Ontario to transfer the title, and off we went.

Initial impressions:
-the exhaust set up isn't as bad as I worried, though the front pipe needs a cat.
-Flex Z on full soft are tolerable, still going to swap to stock suspension
-Perrin motor mounts need to go (have TRD waiting for me at the end)

https://i.imgur.com/gz8344Z.jpg

NoHaveMSG 05-19-2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villainous_frx (Post 3581296)
-Flex Z on full soft are tolerable, still going to swap to stock suspension

They would be a lot better if you raised it up, though I know you don't plan to keep them lol. I ran flex Z's for a while. The PO was running them too low.

villainous_frx 05-19-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3581384)
They would be a lot better if you raised it up, though I know you don't plan to keep them lol. I ran flex Z's for a while. The PO was running them too low.

I'll keep that in mind. These have been on the car since 2019ish, so they're definitely tired. Will look great as cash in my pocket and in someone else's garage :cheers:

villainous_frx 05-20-2023 11:19 AM

Made it to Indiana to see my buddies who all just graduated. The last hurrah before everyone has to adult. Drove through a massive storm that is now hitting Ontario.

Blizzaks (or whatever is on the car) were honestly great while driving, at a stand still I was accidentally doing burnouts off the line.

Motor mounts are definitely annoying and I'll have noodle arms by the end of this trip, so those are absolutely being changed for the TRD units waiting for me in YYC. The catback hangs low (standard GReddy stuff), so I'll probably switch that out as well for more clearance. The sound is pretty good though.

Random differences between the Toyota and Subaru I've noticed: the dials on the gauge cluster are different. The red backlight, which is honestly nicer. The car beeps and honks when you lock it, which I like.

Overall, a solid little car on the highway getting ~33mpg.

https://i.imgur.com/SrmS0f2.jpg

Clipdat 05-21-2023 03:58 AM

Can you expand more on what you mean by the current motor mounts being "annoying"? Too much NVH?

Oh and keep the Greddy (I ran it for a while on my first twin), it's a nice exhaust. But do what I did and get some slightly shorter polyurethane exhaust hangers to raise it up slightly and get the tips closer to the cutouts.

villainous_frx 05-21-2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3581548)
Can you expand more on what you mean by the current motor mounts being "annoying"? Too much NVH?

Oh and keep the Greddy (I ran it for a while on my first twin), it's a nice exhaust. But do what I did and get some slightly shorter polyurethane exhaust hangers to raise it up slightly and get the tips closer to the cutouts.

They're Perrin motor mounts, at idle with the AC on the car sounds like it's about to blast off into orbit. Even with a raised idle to 1200 rpm, same issue but not as extreme. While going down the highway, it's a nice massage that leaves you with 'jello arms' and everything rattles.

I had a set on my other car and they're great on the race track. That's it. A set of TRD mounts are waiting for me in Calgary that will be swapped on next weekend.

The exhaust drones with this set up pretty badly on the highway (catless uel, single resonated front pipe, catback). First thing will be to swap to a stock front pipe. Good tip on the hangers, I believe these are still the stock units. Thankfully the ride height doesn't cause the low exhaust to be a super big issue, I hardly have to do trig like in the 86

Since this car is going to be my daily, I'm leaning towards reverting to fully stock with just the header for sound. We'll see how I feel once I start messing with the exhaust. Thankfully these cars are lego and I have many parts to pick and choose from.

villainous_frx 05-21-2023 10:37 PM

https://i.imgur.com/NfvDpSW.jpg

Made it back to Canada today, about 2700 km on the dash under my ownership. My opinion still stands, however I have grown to hate the exhaust. It drones down the highway.

That said, a nice tail wind through North Dakota net me 37 mpg @ 75 mph the better part of a tank.

RedReplicant 05-21-2023 10:38 PM

Lmao, my Hyperblue had those Perrin mounts too, they can die in a fire as far as I am concerned.

Clipdat 05-21-2023 11:12 PM

Haha, sounds like those mounts are pretty extreme. Good to know.

Hopefully putting the stock frontpipe on kills the drone! It might.

Were the stock wheels always on the car as it sits now, or did seller remove a set of aftermarket wheels? Always kinda kills me how the ugly stock wheels look even worse somehow when the car is lowered and they get even more sunken in.

villainous_frx 05-21-2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3581665)
Were the stock wheels always on the car as it sits now, or did seller remove a set of aftermarket wheels? Always kinda kills me how the ugly stock wheels look even worse somehow when the car is lowered and they get even more sunken in.

These were used as winters, previously the car sat with some gold 17x9 wheels during the summer.

I'll be reverting to stock suspension with Japan option 17x7.5 +48 STI wheels. Seen here on my other car (also lowered) while I waited for fresh 200tws to be mounted. Stock photo? of them on a stock suspension car.

https://i.imgur.com/k9KJDth.jpg
https://speedhunters-wp-production.s...058_0RS0_1.jpg

Clipdat 05-21-2023 11:19 PM

Very nice OEM option. Pleasant design.

autoracer86 05-22-2023 03:15 AM

Nothing says oem plus like trd/STi parts. I found their motor and transmission mounts to be great with no added nvh. I’m sure you will like the motor mounts when you get them

villainous_frx 05-22-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoracer86 (Post 3581677)
Nothing says oem plus like trd/STi parts. I found their motor and transmission mounts to be great with no added nvh. I’m sure you will like the motor mounts when you get them

Heck yeah! I have had a set on my other car for a while now, they're honestly the best. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=206

villainous_frx 05-22-2023 09:30 PM

Arrived in AB this afternoon. About 3400 km on the clock. Tomorrow I'll get to work removing the exhaust and motor mounts. Suspension is going to stay for now, as my other car will be in the shop for an alignment. The BRZ will be jumping right into daily duty until that is back and I can get the BRZ for an alignment:P

https://i.imgur.com/jUMRY7w.jpg

Clipdat 05-22-2023 11:59 PM

Congrats!

Edit: I really like the OEM BRZ spoiler too. Best OEM spoiler, imo! (TRD also nice, tho...) :D

villainous_frx 05-25-2023 11:25 PM

Stock catback has been installed, stock front pipe and motor mounts this weekend. Noise on cold start and driving around has been reduced to nearly nothing. Now the cabin noise is all coming from the motor mounts.

Other car is still in alignment jail, so I'm not touching the suspension yet. Also installed the first piece of the JDM black Toyota trim + STI JP gurney flap. The fit and finish is kinda ~meh~, but it adds a nice accent. Car will be detailed this weekend, as well as the reverse lockout being swapped for an AliExpress special.

https://i.imgur.com/jc4lOVN.png

https://i.imgur.com/8N6v0El.jpg

villainous_frx 06-03-2023 07:00 PM

Car is "done" for out of province inspection this coming week and should pass without issue. Overall wasn't that awful, mounts swapped easier than my other car. The overpipe to front pipe bolts were total trash so that took 2 hours to get out... new front pipe went on in under 15 minutes.

+TRD motor mounts
+OEM suspension
+OEM front pipe
-Perrin motor mounts
-Tein Flex Z
-Invidia catless resonated front pipe

Once inspection is done, I'll be installing the JDM side markers, some wide angle mirrors, and a reverse camera.

https://i.imgur.com/TbL6uwb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n4CeoLY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bi55xus.jpg

villainous_frx 06-05-2023 02:15 AM

Washed her off and snapped a photo :thumbup:

Methinks the car needs an STI lip kit.
https://i.imgur.com/TXFjVzT.jpg

Clipdat 06-05-2023 02:33 AM

At least at stock ride height you won't scrape the front lip if you install one! :)

Clipdat 06-05-2023 01:33 PM

What kind of tires on the STi wheels? Looks to be a relatively tame all-season type tread. I predict high MPGs with those! :)

RToyo86 06-05-2023 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583109)
What kind of tires on the STi wheels? Looks to be a relatively tame all-season type tread. I predict high MPGs with those! :)

More like roasting some tires getting smiles per gallon.

Clipdat 06-05-2023 04:01 PM

villainous doesn't seem like the burnout type to me!

villainous_frx 06-05-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583060)
At least at stock ride height you won't scrape the front lip if you install one! :)

Definitely a pro to me. I'd still remove it in the winter to avoid chunks of ice destroying it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583109)
What kind of tires on the STi wheels? Looks to be a relatively tame all-season type tread. I predict high MPGs with those! :)

Kumho ECSTA PA51 in 225/45/17. 500tw I think? Got them for a pretty decent price ($150/tire after tax + install + shipping), and they're to drive to work on. Trying to keep noise down and fuel economy up with this car. 200tws on the orange car will suffice for stickies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583133)
villainous doesn't seem like the burnout type to me!

Honestly tires are too expensive for this! LOL.

Clipdat 06-05-2023 10:22 PM

I get it. :w00t:

villainous_frx 06-06-2023 12:38 AM

A bunch of parts sold, got the paperwork for the Out of Province Inspection, and have shop time booked on Wednesday for the OOPI. I'd like to sell the OFT that came with the car, however I'm keeping the OFT tune for the inspection because it works. However once inspection is behind me, I'll be tuning with Wayno and logging on my way to Edmonton for the Driven show. Used Steve99 for my other car, figured why not see what else is offered.

Clipdat 06-06-2023 01:57 AM

Sold the Greddy catback too?

villainous_frx 06-06-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583195)
Sold the Greddy catback too?

It is up for sale, as I am really enjoying the stock catback volume (lack thereof) and the aesthetic of the JDM tips.

RToyo86 06-06-2023 08:46 PM

Silently hooning as I like to say

villainous_frx 06-06-2023 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3583266)
Silently hooning as I like to say

No fun allowed!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...66/Z7HeRxU.png

Clipdat 06-07-2023 01:42 AM

Stealth mode.

villainous_frx 06-08-2023 01:13 AM

Car did not 'pass' inspection. I won't say fail, because they didn't like silly things. Side marker bulbs were both burnt out, they didn't like the rear rotors even though they were within OEM spec, and they didnt like an "oil leak"... which was undercoating. All 3 resolved: new side marker bulbs, the brand new rotors off my other car, and I threw a new oring in the cam solenoid/oil control valve +gasket maker on the outside to seal it.

No mention on the slight exhaust leak between front and mid pipe, passenger side control arm that had a slipping eccentric resulting in some active camber, or a sagging under tray that seems to have lost a clip between my driveway -> their shop -> back to my driveway.
Take two tomorrow.

Clipdat 06-08-2023 01:33 AM

Who is doing the inspection? Is it a private shop or a government entity?

villainous_frx 06-08-2023 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3583376)
Who is doing the inspection? Is it a private shop or a government entity?

Private shop using the Alberta Out of Province Inspection Manual. By law the inspecting shop has to reinspect the 'fault' items (and ONLY the fault items) free of charge if all the 'faults' have been fixed within 2 weeks. You are free to perform the repairs yourself, at the inspecting shop, or at another shop.

Won't be going back to these guys for other work, since when they called me saying they'd finished up they said "we can order parts to start the repairs now" without telling me what they weren't happy with. Though the convenience of them being just 5 minute walking distance to my work is tough to beat.

villainous_frx 06-10-2023 01:10 AM

Car passed inspection and officially registered in Alberta today. Now it's time for the other car, but more on that later.

First order of business after getting plated was to swap on JDM clear side markers (84912CA130, 84912CA120). With those came new side marker brackets + rivets (1x 57707CA130, 1x 57707CA140, 4x 9059020035). The car needs an alignment pretty badly, over 55 kmh it's got super bad wandering down the road. Also removed the OFT +tune and Tactrix flashed a tune from Wayno.

https://i.imgur.com/1XYSdRs.jpg

villainous_frx 06-15-2023 11:07 PM

For now, the car is "done". Alignment has been performed specs as follows(DF,PF,DR,PR):
-2.1F .03/ -2.1F -.04
-1.5R .04/-1.5 -.05


The next major work will be an oil change... lol.

Clipdat 06-16-2023 03:24 AM

Similar camber to mine. What oil will you be using for the change?

villainous_frx 06-18-2023 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 3584218)
Similar camber to mine. What oil will you be using for the change?

Some full synth 5w30 Mobil1 from Wally World because it was the cheapest on sale between all the box stores. Otherwise I'd be doing some of Kirkland's finest 5w30.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.