Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) — General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Chance of a Turbo Version in Next 2 Years? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147398)

Lelandjt 10-30-2021 03:32 PM

Chance of a Turbo Version in Next 2 Years?
 
What do you think the odds are that a turbo version will be released by 2024? I want a twin enough that I'd be willing to wait until then but I don't really think it's a realistic possibility, so I'm close to giving up and crossing a twin off my list. I don't want to do aftermarket FI. In May I'll meet with the E-conversion mechanic but he doesn't sound optimistic that he can do what I want.

LanceLane174 10-30-2021 03:33 PM

Zero

tenderization 10-30-2021 04:01 PM

If you want a turbo you're not the target audience for this car, plain and simple

Jucostud 10-30-2021 04:14 PM

Zero percent... But the good news is it'll be easy to add one. I definitely see myself adding an EFR turbo to this car some time in its life, but probably not until it's paid off.

weederr33 10-30-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477209)
What do you think the odds are that a turbo version will be released by 2024? I want a twin enough that I'd be willing to wait until then but I don't really think it's a realistic possibility, so I'm close to giving up and crossing a twin off my list. I don't want to do aftermarket FI. In May I'll meet with the E-conversion mechanic but he doesn't sound optimistic that he can do what I want.

This car is not for you then.

TommyW 10-30-2021 04:50 PM

If your priority is straight line speed then you probably just wat to go buy a Mustang or something. This car does not need a turbo for it's intended purpose and price point. I'd rather see a 300hp MR2 for 40-45k in a couple of years

sato 10-30-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477209)
What do you think the odds are that a turbo version will be released by 2024? I want a twin enough that I'd be willing to wait until then but I don't really think it's a realistic possibility, so I'm close to giving up and crossing a twin off my list. I don't want to do aftermarket FI. In May I'll meet with the E-conversion mechanic but he doesn't sound optimistic that he can do what I want.

The idea spanned a whole generation and didn't materialize. Don't think it will this gen either. So, if you want turbo, this ain't the route. You'll be missing out though.

Goingnowherefast 10-30-2021 05:31 PM

Zero. Let's please put this to rest haha

PulsarBeeerz 10-30-2021 05:31 PM

Give up and get a Z.

Jucostud 10-30-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3477223)
If your priority is straight line speed then you probably just wat to go buy a Mustang or something. This car does not need a turbo for it's intended purpose and price point. I'd rather see a 300hp MR2 for 40-45k in a couple of years

Toyota is working with Porsche for the MR2, so good luck on that $40-45k price range.

TommyW 10-30-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jucostud (Post 3477263)
Toyota is working with Porsche for the MR2, so good luck on that $40-45k price range.

so what happens with the Supra? I seriously doubt Porsche would have any interest in a Toyota marriage plus Toyota is plenty capable on their own.

EAGLE5 10-30-2021 07:32 PM

If you want a turbo, get a Supra. Toyota already makes the car you want.

mazeroni 10-30-2021 08:26 PM

Is this a meme? Sounds like a meme. Or are we going to keep doing this for the next 10 years with this gen as well?

Sapphireho 10-30-2021 08:31 PM

Tada told me turbo by 2023.

Jucostud 10-30-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyW (Post 3477265)
so what happens with the Supra? I seriously doubt Porsche would have any interest in a Toyota marriage plus Toyota is plenty capable on their own.

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-mr2-...p-from-porsche

TommyW 10-30-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jucostud (Post 3477286)

Operative word is Rumor

timurrrr 10-30-2021 10:55 PM

Here's an article from carbuzz from about a month before 2022 BRZ was officially revealed:
https://carbuzz.com/news/official-20...rz-coming-soon

Quote:

Recent reports have revealed that the new BRZ is most likely to make use of Toyota's TNGA architecture due to its ability to underpin rear-wheel-drive powertrains. Subaru is expected to supply the powertrain for Toyota cars as it has in the past, which will be the turbocharged 2.4-liter that powers cars such as the Outback, Ascent, and Legacy.
That's exactly what 2022 BRZ is: TNGA + turbo engine from the Ascent.

Raven86Project 10-30-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jucostud (Post 3477286)


https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/ho...eport-in-2021/


debunked

Tcoat 10-31-2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven86Project (Post 3477302)

This has been a clickbait slow news filler for 12 years so really never was bunked so didn't need debunking.

Tcoat 10-31-2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3477296)
Here's an article from carbuzz from about a month before 2022 BRZ was officially revealed:
https://carbuzz.com/news/official-20...rz-coming-soon



That's exactly what 2022 BRZ is: TNGA + turbo engine from the Ascent.

The engine is highly modified from the turbo version used in the Ascent. All that is the same is the basic design and the block.
The platform is an upgraded version of the first gen dedicated one and has fuck all to do with the TNGA.
There was not a single accurate fact in that Carbuzz "article"

timurrrr 10-31-2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3477306)
The engine is highly modified from the turbo version used in the Ascent. All that is the same is the basic design and the block.
The platform is an upgraded version of the first gen dedicated one and has fuck all to do with the TNGA.
There was not a single accurate fact in that Carbuzz "article"

Did I forget to to use a <sarcasm> tag?

Ultramaroon 10-31-2021 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3477282)
Tada told me turbo by 2023.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3CvtrS0aW...shappening.png

LanceLane174 10-31-2021 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jucostud (Post 3477263)
Toyota is working with Porsche for the MR2, so good luck on that $40-45k price range.

Rumors

nikitopo 10-31-2021 03:08 AM

:popcorn:

Lelandjt 10-31-2021 07:56 AM

Yeah, I figured it's hopeless. For the sea level dwellers saying this car isn't about straight line speed or someone who needs more power is not the right buyer for this car, ask yourself: Would you buy this if it had 160hp at the crank? Cuz that's what it has where I live at 9,600ft. Just not enough for a 3000lb sports car in 2022.
I'll consider the Supra (kinda heavy) if I can get a body kit that massively changes the looks, but I could never drive it stock. I've never seen a body kit that tones down a car's appearance so I don't know if that exists. Also lacking cargo area.
Z (kinda heavy) is a potential alternative but I wish it had the cargo area the twins have with their seats folded.
I'm gonna hold out hope that the e-conversion garage can figure out a way to build a twin the way I'd want for under $60k.

There's just no other chassis/body style like the twins so it's a shame they're only offered with one engine. With all the cars available on the market how is there no light, small 2+2 with a pass through trunk and turbo?

Lelandjt 10-31-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanceLane174 (Post 3477328)
Rumors

And an odd rumor at that because it would directly compete with the base model 718, being close in price but at a slight discount when options are considered. Also, why does the largest car maker in the world keep having to bring in partners to build interesting cars? You're embarrassing yourself Toyota. It's obvious all your people can design are appliances aimed at the lowest common denominator. I don't want to hear about cost considerations and profit margins because A: This company can afford to have one or two low profit models. B: This is the company that made the LFA.

Yoshoobaroo 10-31-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477353)
I don't want to hear about cost considerations and profit margins because A: This company can afford to have one or two low profit models. B: This is the company that made the LFA.

Yup.

slimfit 10-31-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477353)
This is the company that made the LFA.

Yeah, but didn’t they take a MASSIVE loss and zero profit bringing that to the public. They’re probably still shook from that and never want a repeat. Granted it’s a better bet bringing smaller affordable sports cars than one off super cars.

Yoshoobaroo 10-31-2021 09:04 AM

Chance of a Turbo Version in Next 2 Years?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slimfit (Post 3477363)
Yeah, but didn’t they take a MASSIVE loss and zero profit bringing that to the public. They’re probably still shook from that and never want a repeat. Granted it’s a better bet bringing smaller affordable sports cars than one off super cars.


VW made way more of a loss on each Veyron, but they didn’t back down from making interesting cars. They made 500 LFAs vs 450 Veyrons. It’s rumored that Toyota lost 500.000 usd on each lfa, VW lost 6.24 million per Veyron. So Toyota lost 250 million, VW lost 2.8 Billion. VW still makes the Chiron now, and a host of crazy sports and super cars accross their brands.

It makes Toyota look limp wristed in comparison, especially since VW had been hot on their heels as #2.

wbradley 10-31-2021 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:0

Tcoat 10-31-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3477313)
Did I forget to to use a <sarcasm> tag?

Oh dude if that was supposed to be sarcasm you failed miserably!

Make it over the top so that there is no mistaking it.

alphasaur 10-31-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477352)
Yeah, I figured it's hopeless. For the sea level dwellers saying this car isn't about straight line speed or someone who needs more power is not the right buyer for this car, ask yourself: Would you buy this if it had 160hp at the crank? Cuz that's what it has where I live at 9,600ft. Just not enough for a 3000lb sports car in 2022.
I'll consider the Supra (kinda heavy) if I can get a body kit that massively changes the looks, but I could never drive it stock. I've never seen a body kit that tones down a car's appearance so I don't know if that exists. Also lacking cargo area.
Z (kinda heavy) is a potential alternative but I wish it had the cargo area the twins have with their seats folded.
I'm gonna hold out hope that the e-conversion garage can figure out a way to build a twin the way I'd want for under $60k.

There's just no other chassis/body style like the twins so it's a shame they're only offered with one engine. With all the cars available on the market how is there no light, small 2+2 with a pass through trunk and turbo?

If you're willing to do an e-conversion, why not just spend the 5k on something like a JRSC which is a pretty easy install all things considered?

LanceLane174 10-31-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3477380)
VW made way more of a loss on each Veyron, but they didn’t back down from making interesting cars. They made 500 LFAs vs 450 Veyrons. It’s rumored that Toyota lost 500.000 usd on each lfa, VW lost 6.24 million per Veyron. So Toyota lost 250 million, VW lost 2.8 Billion. VW still makes the Chiron now, and a host of crazy sports and super cars accross their brands.

It makes Toyota look limp wristed in comparison, especially since VW had been hot on their heels as #2.

2 words. Stock holders.

If you continue to lose money but continue a project then they will fire you. This project probobly breaks even when you include Subaru. If you add turbo then you will lose money and steal customers from the Supra and WRX. It makes no sense and will never happen.

It's a tired argument. Asked and answered by both companies. Move on.

bcj 10-31-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477352)
With all the cars available on the market how is there no light, small 2+2 with a pass through trunk and turbo?

Still torqued off that there has been no 2 door wagon.
Gonna hold my breath ...

weederr33 10-31-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3477352)
Yeah, I figured it's hopeless. For the sea level dwellers saying this car isn't about straight line speed or someone who needs more power is not the right buyer for this car, ask yourself: Would you buy this if it had 160hp at the crank? Cuz that's what it has where I live at 9,600ft. Just not enough for a 3000lb sports car in 2022.

I didn't know altitude made the car heavier too

PulsarBeeerz 10-31-2021 02:08 PM

Why is no one making a car just-for-me!

Oh it would be 60K nvm.

Yoshoobaroo 10-31-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LanceLane174 (Post 3477421)
2 words. Stock holders.

If you continue to lose money but continue a project then they will fire you. This project probobly breaks even when you include Subaru. If you add turbo then you will lose money and steal customers from the Supra and WRX. It makes no sense and will never happen.

It's a tired argument. Asked and answered by both companies. Move on.


Got it. VW must not have stockholders.

LanceLane174 10-31-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3477461)
Got it. VW must not have stockholders.

Only since the late 2000s and not completely. It is mostly privately held by the family. So the structure is very complicated and not as simple as answering to stock holders in a board room.

Lelandjt 10-31-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3477457)
I didn't know altitude made the car heavier too

Remind me how much the new twins weight full of fluids (including gas). Does it round to 3000lbs?

Lelandjt 10-31-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3477459)
Why is no one making a car just-for-me!

Oh it would be 60K nvm.

I'm just surprised there isn't a bigger market for a car just like the twins but with more power. I guess most of these buyers must be content with no rear seats at all / less cargo capacity and a bit more weight because if you eliminate those gripes there are plenty of options.

In fact, I think we can all agree ("we" includes Subaru & Toyota) that there is a plenty big enough market for more powerful twins and the only reason they aren't made is to avoid stepping on the toes of other models they make.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.