Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) — General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Highway speeds, RPM/noise (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147245)

tiger1964 10-17-2021 03:33 PM

Highway speeds, RPM/noise
 
Curious about the BRZ/86 at highway speeds, particularly the RPMs at 55mph, 65mph, etc. I am wondering if too high, too “frenetic” for touring/cruising (of course, if interested in going faster, perhaps rpms/noise become, ahem, less important).

Disclaimers/introduction: looking for a new spousemobile in the summer of 2023, and the Toyobarus top my wife’s list. As we currently operate three 2-seater convertibles, this time she wants something with at least a modicum of storage in terms of a back seat and/or trunk. She insists on a manual transmission, she’s never owned anything else; something lightweight, nimble, fun to drive, preferably RWD, etc. Sedans/CUV’s are off the list completely (not counting the Dodge Omni her father bought her to go to collage, she’s had 1986 & 1989 VW GTI’s, a 1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R, a 2005 Acura RSX-S, and for the past seven years she took over my 2007 Honda S2000). So, fun-to-drive is very, very important, but this is not to be a track-day car, etc., and will likely see some traveling, rather a small GT as in Grand Touring; both of her last two cars have been Honda products and geared such that highway driving does seem, again, “frenetic”.

So, anyone driving one currently able to post RPM’s at given highway speeds in top gear?

Kona61 10-17-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 3473832)
Curious about the BRZ/86 at highway speeds, particularly the RPMs at 55mph, 65mph, etc. I am wondering if too high, too “frenetic” for touring/cruising (of course, if interested in going faster, perhaps rpms/noise become, ahem, less important).

Disclaimers/introduction: looking for a new spousemobile in the summer of 2023, and the Toyobarus top my wife’s list. As we currently operate three 2-seater convertibles, this time she wants something with at least a modicum of storage in terms of a back seat and/or trunk. She insists on a manual transmission, she’s never owned anything else; something lightweight, nimble, fun to drive, preferably RWD, etc. Sedans/CUV’s are off the list completely (not counting the Dodge Omni her father bought her to go to collage, she’s had 1986 & 1989 VW GTI’s, a 1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R, a 2005 Acura RSX-S, and for the past seven years she took over my 2007 Honda S2000). So, fun-to-drive is very, very important, but this is not to be a track-day car, etc., and will likely see some traveling, rather a small GT as in Grand Touring; both of her last two cars have been Honda products and geared such that highway driving does seem, again, “frenetic”.

So, anyone driving one currently able to post RPM’s at given highway speeds in top gear?

If she can manage a S2000 it will be nothing lol.



I believe around that speed would be turning 2700-3000 rpm? Gearing and final drive is the same as early last gen models so you could look that up.

CaptainFenderbaum 10-17-2021 04:57 PM

My quick calculation (based on published 4.1 final drive ration and .77 6th gear ratio) has the engine spinning at ~3k at 70mph.

With those ratios, I suspect that the engine will be smooth enough to allow for decent cruising at Eastern US highway speeds. If you start cruising at Texas highway speeds the sounds from wind, tires, and engine (both real and fake) might become tiring after a while.

Unless the wife like to go real fast I think she'll find the brz to be a comfortable cruiser, especially if she's coming from an s2000.

timurrrr 10-17-2021 05:30 PM

If you can find 2013–2016 FR-S/BRZ on Turo, just rent it and hear for yourself.

Frost 10-17-2021 06:05 PM

Given I drove from Toronto to Cape Breton and back in a S2000 which sat at 4200-4400 RPM in a SOFT TOP all the way there, I'd say the BRZ will be a HECKUVA improvement lol...

soundman98 10-17-2021 06:25 PM

you're looking for the newest gen 2 model, which is going to be a different/larger motor, and a different exhaust system, so all we can give you is gen 1 experience, as no one outside of reviewers have their hands on them...

my '14 spins somewhere around 3k-3.5k on the highway in 6th. fully-stock exhaust, it doesn't really resonate/drone until laying into it--at which point, i'm downshifting to 4th to pass anyways, and really not until 3.5-4k at normal gas pedal applications.

but i'm one of those weirdo's that like the stock exhaust sound.

tiger1964 10-18-2021 10:50 AM

Thanks for the input. Since 1995, I've always joined the online owners' group before getting a car, it's invaluable. Although this is the first time I've done it two YEARS in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3473852)
If she can manage a S2000 it will be nothing lol.

Yeah, she can manage it -- although how she handles a manual trans in 5" stiletto heels I do not understand; I could not do it, could you? :iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainFenderbaum (Post 3473853)
My quick calculation (based on published 4.1 final drive ration and .77 6th gear ratio) has the engine spinning at ~3k at 70mph.

That sounds like a huge difference than 3K at 55mph! I'll take that. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainFenderbaum (Post 3473853)
Unless the wife like to go real fast I think she'll find the brz to be a comfortable cruiser, especially if she's coming from an s2000.

True, she does say that my Boxster seems far more comfortable than the S2000 on trips; I think the ride is similar, but the noise/rpms are vastly different.

No, she is not an aggressive driver, but all these years she has enjoyed nimble cars (she still misses the modded Datsun 510 I drove when we were dating, she really liked driving that!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3473866)
If you can find 2013–2016 FR-S/BRZ on Turo, just rent it and hear for yourself.

Next door neighbor drives a 1st generation 86, perhaps I should ask to check it out. And no gearing changes for 2nd gen? Cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 3473868)
Given I drove from Toronto to Cape Breton and back in a S2000 which sat at 4200-4400 RPM in a SOFT TOP all the way there, I'd say the BRZ will be a HECKUVA improvement lol...

I can imagine. Literally. In our case, round trip from Maryland to Charleston SC and the only rational route is Interstate... hour after hour at 4K, I presume the car can handle that, no problem, but not enjoyable.

timurrrr 10-18-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 3473996)
Next door neighbor drives a 1st generation 86, perhaps I should ask to check it out. And no gearing changes for 2nd gen? Cool.

The manual 2022 gearing is the same as manual 2013–2016. In the US, the 2017–2020 manual had a shorter FD.

Baldeagle 10-18-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainFenderbaum (Post 3473853)
My quick calculation (based on published 4.1 final drive ration and .77 6th gear ratio) has the engine spinning at ~3k at 70mph.

With those ratios, I suspect that the engine will be smooth enough to allow for decent cruising at Eastern US highway speeds. If you start cruising at Texas highway speeds the sounds from wind, tires, and engine (both real and fake) might become tiring after a while.

Unless the wife like to go real fast I think she'll find the brz to be a comfortable cruiser, especially if she's coming from an s2000.

I agree with your math. With 215/40-18 tires, a .77:1 6th gear ratio and a 4.10 final drive, I calculate 2,560 rpm at 60 mph, 2,987 rpm at 70 mph and 3,413 rpm at 80 mph.

Rossman 10-20-2021 10:49 PM

I have done a lot of highway driving in my '17 BRZ and cruising at 120km/h the car is fine, not noisy at all. Prob depends what you are used to, though.

timurrrr 10-21-2021 06:20 PM

On the stock '17 with the 4.3 FD, the engine sound was getting a bit annoying at 80+ mph in 6th gear (3600+ rpm) when I was driving for a few hours to/from a not-so-local racetrack.

Note that the 4.1 FD will drop the revs by ~170 rpm at that speed.

tiger1964 10-21-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle (Post 3474122)
I agree with your math. With 215/40-18 tires, a .77:1 6th gear ratio and a 4.10 final drive, I calculate 2,560 rpm at 60 mph, 2,987 rpm at 70 mph and 3,413 rpm at 80 mph.

I think we can certainly handle that. And, yeah, Not all engines are equally "at ease" at a particular rpm... I recall my first experience with a Mazda rotary, looking down at the tach and only then realizing the rpm's (a friend's brand new RX-4, so that was a while back).

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3475020)
On the stock '17 with the 4.3 FD, the engine sound was getting a bit annoying at 80+ mph in 6th gear (3600+ rpm) when I was driving for a few hours to/from a not-so-local racetrack.

Thanks for the input. That said, if we're deciding to do 80mph, we're (a) in a hurry, or (b) driving that fast for the enjoyment of it -- and less concerned about the engine being intrusive! :w00t:

timurrrr 10-21-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 3475028)
Thanks for the input. That said, if we're deciding to do 80mph, we're (a) in a hurry, or (b) driving that fast for the enjoyment of it -- and less concerned about the engine being intrusive! :w00t:

The speed limit on that highway is 70 mph, and people were still passing me as I drove ~80 :bellyroll:

Lelandjt 10-23-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle (Post 3474122)
I agree with your math. With 215/40-18 tires, a .77:1 6th gear ratio and a 4.10 final drive, I calculate 2,560 rpm at 60 mph, 2,987 rpm at 70 mph and 3,413 rpm at 80 mph.

This feels like too much revs for western highway cruising. That was my biggest complaint about my STi. It really deters you from cruising above 70mph. For my next car I want something that feels not only quick but also fast and feels like it's cruising effortlessly and efficiently at 75-80. I think my dream car just doesn't exist so I'm left deciding between buying something I won't be totally happy with or just sticking with my Mazda 3 that gets the job done but is thoroughly unenjoyable. I'm leaning more and more toward the later and once a year renting something fun at a track day.

Kona61 10-24-2021 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3475454)
This feels like too much revs for western highway cruising. That was my biggest complaint about my STi. It really deters you from cruising above 70mph. For my next car I want something that feels not only quick but also fast and feels like it's cruising effortlessly and efficiently at 75-80. I think my dream car just doesn't exist so I'm left deciding between buying something I won't be totally happy with or just sticking with my Mazda 3 that gets the job done but is thoroughly unenjoyable. I'm leaning more and more toward the later and once a year renting something fun at a track day.

Honestly, V8 American sports car fulfill those requirements.

Sport-Tech 10-24-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3475566)
Honestly, V8 American sports car fulfill those requirements.

Or maybe the new Z. Especially if you go with the new 9 speed auto, should have a very low rpm cruising gear.

Kona61 10-24-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport-Tech (Post 3475586)
Or maybe the new Z. Especially if you go with the new 9 speed auto, should have a very low rpm cruising gear.

Very true. Even the manual is pretty tame in those RPM-wise.

tiger1964 10-25-2021 10:03 AM

Fortunately, on the East coast, distances are different and travel times as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3475566)
Honestly, V8 American sports car fulfill those requirements.

Very true in my limited experience. But at that point, might as well get a Silverado or some kind of SUV.

Yoshoobaroo 10-25-2021 10:10 AM

Highway speeds, RPM/noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3475566)
Honestly, V8 American sports car fulfill those requirements.

So does a used BMW 340i / 440i. The B58 engine is a tune away from ~400whp.

Kona61 10-25-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3475756)
So does a used BMW 340i / 440i. The B58 engine is a tune away from ~400whp.

I know, I’ve got 2 B58s haha. I’ll tell you though, definitely getting rid of both before the warranty ends.

Kona61 10-25-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 3475753)
Fortunately, on the East coast, distances are different and travel times as well.



Very true in my limited experience. But at that point, might as well get a Silverado or some kind of SUV.

How so? The new ones are quite something. Much more engaging and fun to drive than anything German right now.

Lelandjt 10-26-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3475566)
Honestly, V8 American sports car fulfill those requirements.

Yes, but a bit heavier than I want and at my altitude I'd rather have turbo V6. A 400z engine in a BRZ body that still weighs under 3000lbs and gets 35mpg when cruising is what I want. I'm currently looking into an e-BRZ conversion. I'll also look at the 400z and Mustang 350.
Or just continuing to drive my 2012 Mazda 3 hatch Skyactiv that fits 2 bikes inside, gets 45-60mpg, and is boring to drive.

Lelandjt 10-26-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport-Tech (Post 3475586)
Or maybe the new Z. Especially if you go with the new 9 speed auto, should have a very low rpm cruising gear.

If it weighed a couple hundred pounds less, used the ZF 8HP tranny, and had the BRZ's cargo space with seats flipped down it would be my dream car. I'd pay $80k for that.

Lelandjt 10-26-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3475803)
I know, I’ve got 2 B58s haha. I’ll tell you though, definitely getting rid of both before the warranty ends.

This is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to add a Beemer to my list. The M2 is tempting though...

Baldeagle 10-26-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt (Post 3475965)
Yes, but a bit heavier than I want and at my altitude I'd rather have turbo V6. A 400z engine in a BRZ body that still weighs under 3000lbs and gets 35mpg when cruising is what I want. I'm currently looking into an e-BRZ conversion. I'll also look at the 400z and Mustang 350.
Or just continuing to drive my 2012 Mazda 3 hatch Skyactiv that fits 2 bikes inside, gets 45-60mpg, and is boring to drive.

While not as powerful as a 400Z or Mustang, a GTI is precise, peppy and fun. Like your Mazda, it can also carry bikes. As I’m sure you know, the GTI is still one of the few cars that offers a 6MT. With its 6MT, the GTI cranks about 1,850 - 1,900 rpm at 60 mph. 85 mph is less than 2,800 rpm. Oddly, the R is geared shorter and not as relaxed at highway speeds. If you are forced to make compromises and low highway rpm is a priority, a GTI might be worth considering. And depending on how much you value a new car warranty, for another $2,500, you can upgrade the clutch, add a Stage 2 tune and have a genuinely fast car.

tiger1964 10-26-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle (Post 3475978)
a GTI is precise, peppy and fun. Like your Mazda, it can also carry bikes. As I’m sure you know, the GTI is still one of the few cars that offers a 6MT. With its 6MT, the GTI cranks about 1,850 - 1,900 rpm at 60 mph. 85 mph is less than 2,800 rpm.

Those highway RPM’s do sound livable, and the GTI would check a lot of boxes; particularly small-ish, fun to drive and can carry stuff (like bikes!)

We’ve had two GTI’s BITD, 1986 and 1989, plus I had a modded Rabbit well before that. Very useful and got great MPG’s, but…

…and YMMV…

...we had horrible reliability issues, mostly engine management, that could and did leave us stranded (like 200 miles from home in a nearly new car, on the side of the road, in the days before cell phones). So, unlikely even this many years later, to reward VW with my dollars again (or Chrysler but that’s another story) when there are other options. Sadly, 2-door “sporty” hatchbacks are thin on the ground, so the Toyobaru seems to top the wish list unless something new pops up in the next 20 months or so.

Pete 10-26-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1964 (Post 3475991)
Those highway RPM’s do sound livable, and the GTI would check a lot of boxes; particularly small-ish, fun to drive and can carry stuff (like bikes!)

We’ve had two GTI’s BITD, 1986 and 1989, plus I had a modded Rabbit well before that. Very useful and got great MPG’s, but…

…and YMMV…

...we had horrible reliability issues, mostly engine management, that could and did leave us stranded (like 200 miles from home in a nearly new car, on the side of the road, in the days before cell phones). So, unlikely even this many years later, to reward VW with my dollars again (or Chrysler but that’s another story) when there are other options. Sadly, 2-door “sporty” hatchbacks are thin on the ground, so the Toyobaru seems to top the wish list unless something new pops up in the next 20 months or so.

I literally just sold my 2015 GTI because the sunroof started leaking water into the cabin. I discovered that there is a full on class action lawsuit about the "panoramic" sunroofs in VWs because they leak water for no reason other than parking it in the sun and if you repair them (expensive) they will just start leaking water again before too long. This problem was not covered by my Carmax warranty. I didn't even want a sunroof.

The car was a competent handler and quick enough to not feel slow, but FWD was rarely fun to drive. I think the best selling point was that the interior is really very good, comfortable, good for road trips or commuting...as long as the roof isn't pissing hot water on to your wife.

I actually feel pretty lucky that the new BRZ is coming out right now when I need a car anyway.

tiger1964 10-26-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 3476002)
The car was a competent handler and quick enough to not feel slow, but FWD was rarely fun to drive. I think the best selling point was that the interior is really very good, comfortable, good for road trips or commuting...as long as the roof isn't pissing hot water on to your wife.

OUCH! Literally!

That reminds me, I presume the new BRZ won't have a sunroof? This will be the first time since early 1986 that my wife's car won't have a sunroof (or, be a convertible). (sorry, that's :offtopic:)

timurrrr 10-26-2021 11:40 AM

Have you looked at C6 Z06?

bcj 10-26-2021 11:41 AM

No sunroof. Not on the option list. Extra weight too far above CG.
One of the reasons I got mine. No holes in the roof. It rains in Seattle.

Lightweight car. It's going to be noisy. A number of people have added Dynamat to be quieter.

Full BRZ interior disassembly for sound deadening - lots of pics, every panel off

tiger1964 10-26-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timurrrr (Post 3476011)
Have you looked at C6 Z06?

I checked into a Corvette before ordering my Boxster. 5" wider and it's difficult enough to back the Porsche into the garage (narrow doors). I'd need therapy after a session trying to get the big Chevy in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcj (Post 3476012)

I was wondering about that. With our choices of cars over the years, not expecting Lincoln-level quiet, but Dynamat might be worthwhile, and not too many additional pounds.

Kona61 10-26-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 3476002)
I literally just sold my 2015 GTI because the sunroof started leaking water into the cabin. I discovered that there is a full on class action lawsuit about the "panoramic" sunroofs in VWs because they leak water for no reason other than parking it in the sun and if you repair them (expensive) they will just start leaking water again before too long. This problem was not covered by my Carmax warranty. I didn't even want a sunroof.

The car was a competent handler and quick enough to not feel slow, but FWD was rarely fun to drive. I think the best selling point was that the interior is really very good, comfortable, good for road trips or commuting...as long as the roof isn't pissing hot water on to your wife.

I actually feel pretty lucky that the new BRZ is coming out right now when I need a car anyway.


See I had a MK7 Golf with no sunroof. Very competent daily driver. Better than any car I've ever owned for commuting and was a blast on the Tail of the Dragon when I lived in Chattanooga. I never had any real issues with it besides it once threw a CEL for the passenger seat weight sensor but it never came back.

Blighty 10-26-2021 09:13 PM

Sunroofs are shit all around IMO.

Open top or nothing.

wtn928 10-30-2021 12:22 AM

Check this video at 3:17.
https://youtu.be/VRS-LU-gmz8

96 kmph at 2500 rpm—> 3125 rpm at 75 mph

Kona61 10-30-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtn928 (Post 3477064)
Check this video at 3:17.
https://youtu.be/VRS-LU-gmz8

96 kpm at 2500 rpm—> 3125 rpm at 75 mph

I can live with that...

tiger1964 10-30-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona61 (Post 3477075)
I can live with that...

Me too.:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.