Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The all-new 2022 Ford Maverick (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145637)

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 07:32 AM

Ford brings back the Maverick...
 
Well sort of. I had no idea this was a thing until this morning.

What the heck Ford! First you turned the Thunderbird into a luxury yacht. Then there's the more recent EV SUV called the Mustang, now you finally bring back the Maverick, but its a subcompact pickup!

Someone want to explain to me how that makes sense?

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/7J...-rendering.jpg

Tcoat 11-19-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385137)


Someone want to explain to me how that makes sense?

Saves money on new badge/name copyright fees?

x808drifter 11-19-2020 07:49 AM

Seems legit.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_%2710%29.jpg

Tcoat 11-19-2020 07:52 AM

HMMMM so far all clickbait site rumour and speculation as far as I can see but if this comes to reality I will take my Ecoboost, AWD version in red please.
I have been waiting a long long time for something smaller in a pickup to show up again. None of the current "small" pickups are really all that small. I know they will never get as small as my old 74 Datsun one was but this would do.


https://www.motor1.com/features/4375...ford-maverick/

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x808drifter (Post 3385144)
Seems legit.

The Maverick was a great compact car in its day, at least in my opinion. Particularly in the 2-door Grabber trim with some HP under the hood.

https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/ch10...?1571254271000

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3385145)
HMMMM so far all clickbait site rumour and speculation as far as I can see but if this comes to reality I will take my Ecoboost, AWD version in red please.

I definitely like the idea of it, and I'm with you, I might actually buy one, but the use of the Maverick name is just wrong.

Maybe they should call it the Shetland and put it in the Mustang lineup.

Tcoat 11-19-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385146)
The Maverick was a great compact car in its day, at least in my opinion. Particularly in the 2-door Grabber trim with some HP under the hood.

They started making the Maverick in 1969 when my father worked at the Ford plant. I was 10 years old and they had the kids Christmas party at the plant so we got a tour and each was given a model of a Maverick. Mine was the orange just like that picture. Wasn't a Grabber though. Both my sisters got gold ones. I still have them packed away someplace.
I owned a base 4 door for a bit and drove a Grabber a few times. believe me they were not the same car no matter what the badges said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385148)
I definitely like the idea of it, and I'm with you, I might actually buy one, but the use of the Maverick name is just wrong.

Maybe they should call it the Shetland and put it in the Mustang lineup.


Change the F150 to Clydesdale!

ls1ac 11-19-2020 09:11 AM

I was kind of hoping for a come back of the Subaru Brat. Had a wreck for a while but never got it running right.

wbradley 11-19-2020 09:13 AM

Whenever I see Maverick I think of this ridiculous story from when I was a kid. I recall mentioning it a few years ago but it's still worth sharing.

My uncle who was completing law school around '70-'71 was driving a green Maverick with flower stickers on the hood. While driving down the DVP at the bridge (assuming it was Bloor St) something fell off the overpass and hit the roof of his car. It appeared to have been a raw brisket, which somehow must have fallen out of a truck!

Sasquachulator 11-19-2020 12:26 PM

WE HAVE TO SUV ALL THE THINGS!!!

Spuds 11-19-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3385145)
HMMMM so far all clickbait site rumour and speculation as far as I can see but if this comes to reality I will take my Ecoboost, AWD version in red please.
I have been waiting a long long time for something smaller in a pickup to show up again. None of the current "small" pickups are really all that small. I know they will never get as small as my old 74 Datsun one was but this would do.


https://www.motor1.com/features/4375...ford-maverick/

I was behind a new Ford Ranger the other day... Didn't those use to be small trucks? Now it's the same size as a F150 by my reckoning.

Tcoat 11-19-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3385307)
I was behind a new Ford Ranger the other day... Didn't those use to be small trucks? Now it's the same size as a F150 by my reckoning.

They were smallish truck. Yes they are now about the size that the F150 used to be.
When I say small trucks I mean small.
Like barely bigger than the Twins. I know those days are long gone but they can do something to make a smaller pickup.


https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/e9...f1fb7ef7b4.jpg

bcj 11-19-2020 01:22 PM

Having a 3 foot by 3.5 foot bed doesn't put cattle in the paddock .

Jordanwolf 11-19-2020 01:26 PM

This abomination is just a ford explorer with no hatch.

Please lock thread admin, I am feeling sick from all these truck/crossover threads.

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordanwolf (Post 3385331)
This abomination is just a ford explorer with no hatch..

What the US really needs is a UTE (bring back the Ranchero and the El Camino please)

Jordanwolf 11-19-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385360)
What the US really needs is a UTE (bring back the Ranchero and the El Camino please)

You're pushing your luck on that one. If such things were to be revived, better expect it to come in a kind of crossover package as opposed to a actual useful car with a bed vehicle. Basically anything now a days that doesn't have 4 doors is seen a niche and unreliable/impractical.

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Tcoat not sure its as small as either of us would want.

Pics here with it parked with a Ford Ranger. Using my massive photoshop/paint skills here's it cropped from the same photo showing them aligned at the nose.

It is smaller but not by as much as I was expecting. Still worth a look at when it hits the dealerships though.

Dadhawk 11-19-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordanwolf (Post 3385363)
You're pushing your luck on that one. .

Yea, I know, but a guy can dream. The last time GM thought about it in the US we ended up with the SSR (shutter) and the left-hand drive Holden conversions are too damn expensive.

Tcoat 11-19-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385365)
@Tcoat not sure its as small as either of us would want.

Pics here with it parked with a Ford Ranger. Using my massive photoshop/paint skills here's it cropped from the same photo showing them aligned at the nose.

It is smaller but not by as much as I was expecting. Still worth a look at when it hits the dealerships though.

Ya that is not nearly as small as I had hoped.

Jordanwolf 11-19-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385365)
@Tcoat not sure its as small as either of us would want.

Pics here with it parked with a Ford Ranger. Using my massive photoshop/paint skills here's it cropped from the same photo showing them aligned at the nose.

It is smaller but not by as much as I was expecting. Still worth a look at when it hits the dealerships though.

I can get on board with a Ranger honestly. For a truck, they look good, they aren't full-size, but their price is a little more than I'd want new. Definitely a candidate in the future for me off the used market when I'm looking for that camping vehicle, unless EV trucks start rapidly improving and actually releasing.

Jordanwolf 11-19-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385367)
Yea, I know, but a guy can dream. The last time GM thought about it in the US we ended up with the SSR (shutter) and the left-hand drive Holden conversions are too damn expensive.

I think once EV power trains get sorted by the GM/Honda collaboration, the adaption of multiple body styles could be very real for the America's, but based on the American market demand we still might be dreaming.

soundman98 11-20-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385360)
What the US really needs is a UTE (bring back the Ranchero and the El Camino please)

this is what i don't understand.. had they used 'ranchero', a few purists would bicker about the lost meaning, but no one would really complain much.

but maverick is/was a CAR...

i've been following the maverick development on/off for the past year or three since some of the design stuff leaked early on.

i haven't been impressed enough with anything i've seen of the development to really pay too much care to it.

as jordan said, it's an suv with the back cut off...

Dadhawk 11-21-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3385906)
as jordan said, it's an suv with the back cut off...

And in that way it's close to a Ranchero, but no way is this a Maverick. I could have even gotten behind them using Maverick as a name for the MustangEV or even for a 2/4 door EV sedan/coupe. That would have made more sense.

gravitylover 11-21-2020 09:07 AM

I want something the size of my old Luv or Courier again. The 6 1/2 foot bed on the Luv was a bit short but the 7 foot on the Courier was perfect for everything I needed and would be again now. It's too bad it will never happen...

soundman98 11-21-2020 09:56 AM

yep. the trend in truck is the beds are getting shorter.

which is a serious issue for anyone that uses it like a truck. i couldn't use a shorter than 6ft bed..

Tcoat 11-21-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3386011)
yep. the trend in truck is the beds are getting shorter.

which is a serious issue for anyone that uses it like a truck. i couldn't use a shorter than 6ft bed..

The boxes are getting shorter because the cabs are getting bigger. The bulk of pickups are now driven as the family car with the seating to suit. Many don't care how big the box is because they will never ever fill it if they even use it at all.
If I am in the market for a pickup I wouldn't mind a small two door cab with some old school jump seats behind them but those probably are not even legal anymore.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/...b5dffb3435.jpg

What I would really want is this but I know that will never be seen again

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TTkAA...arG/s-l300.jpg

jflogerzi 11-21-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385360)
What the US really needs is a UTE (bring back the Ranchero and the El Camino please)

Hyundai might be your ticket with the Santa Cruz

Summerwolf 11-21-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3385360)
What the US really needs is a UTE (bring back the Ranchero and the El Camino please)

I'll take an HSV Maloo, please.

Summerwolf 11-21-2020 12:23 PM

Those new rangers are garbage btw. I have two kids in carseats. I was almost excited about a smaller four cylinder turbo truck seeing as I used to drive 120 miles a day. Went and checked one out... you can't fit a car seat in the back. The back seats on a crew cab ranger was barely bigger than the brz. Interior felt cramped AF and they have a giant price tag. Wound up buying a sierra all terrain crew cab for less. Like a top tier full size truck for less. Wtf.

Dadhawk 11-21-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3386044)
I'll take an HSV Maloo, please.

Exactly what I had in mind.

Dadhawk 11-21-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3386038)
Hyundai might be your ticket with the Santa Cruz

Didn't even know that was a (coming) thing. Looks promising.

https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-imag...500/753594.jpg

FR-S2GT86 11-21-2020 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let Mazda build the Ford Courier for them again.

Attachment 195004

soundman98 11-21-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3386023)
The boxes are getting shorter because the cabs are getting bigger. The bulk of pickups are now driven as the family car with the seating to suit. Many don't care how big the box is because they will never ever fill it if they even use it at all.
If I am in the market for a pickup I wouldn't mind a small two door cab with some old school jump seats behind them but those probably are not even legal anymore.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/...b5dffb3435.jpg

What I would really want is this but I know that will never be seen again

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TTkAA...arG/s-l300.jpg

yeah, 2011 rangers would be the last that had that configuration, AFAIK.

the newest tacoma access cabs have a more standard layout. all the press photos show the rear seats with the front seats slid and tilted forward. likely because if they admitted to how much space is there, they'd be useless.
https://cdn.static-carindigo.com/ima...1e17bc8229.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflogerzi (Post 3386038)
Hyundai might be your ticket with the Santa Cruz

i followed santa cruz development for the first 3 years. not likely. last i've heard, it will be based on a comfort-focused suv chassis, with heavy parts interchangeability with the santa fe. they did have the idea on the concept for a bed extension for larger loads, but i haven't heard or kept up with whether it will be making it to the production model. it's really only going to have a 4-5' bed max though. it's in direct competition with the ridgeline only, not the typical truck market.

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/CV4...uz-concept.jpg

Sasquachulator 11-21-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3386085)
Let Mazda build the Ford Courier for them again.

Attachment 195004

Ford Courier, built by Mazda, Badged as Subaru?

Stonehorsw 11-21-2020 08:33 PM

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36976/...riginal-dakota

Tcoat 11-22-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquachulator (Post 3386206)
Ford Courier, built by Mazda, Badged as Subaru?

I would be fine with that.

Or even better bring this back and keep it that size. Even give me the two more seats I want without adding cab length. (impossible I know but hey...)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/7a...4dfdd6deb3.jpg

Tcoat 11-22-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonehorsw (Post 3386238)

This would be fine.

https://i1.wp.com/moparinsiders.com/...68%2C432&ssl=1

LimitedSlip 11-22-2020 12:16 PM

The rear facing seats in the BRAT were designed to circumvent the "Chicken Tax", a stupid idea dating back to the Cold War that still screws up the importation of trucks into the U.S. today. :mad0260:

Stonehorsw 11-22-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3386356)

I think that those BIW type trucks meets most of the requirements (not the wishes). It is based on the Fiat 500x platform (same as Renegade), which is fine for the application.

This is my engineer side, but if i would buy one, I would fall to the wishes and go with a BOF truck like a Silverado or a SUV like Nissan Armada.

Tcoat 11-22-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonehorsw (Post 3386371)
I think that those BIW type trucks meets most of the requirements (not the wishes). It is based on the Fiat 500x platform (same as Renegade), which is fine for the application.

This is my engineer side, but if i would buy one, I would fall to the wishes and go with a BOF truck like a Silverado or a SUV like Nissan Armada.

I would not be using such as a truck much anyway so BOF doesn't matter. I just want tiny. Am afraid that I am all talk on this anyway since the can not make one small enough now that I would probably actually buy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.