Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Engine Stalled, Rough Idle And Knocking Noise On Startup (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142364)

Slade 09-13-2020 03:36 PM

Engine Stalled, Rough Idle And Knocking Noise On Startup
 
Hi everyone,

I am going to give as much info as possible. I have a 2014 Subaru BRZ A/T with 87k miles. Mods are Skunk2 Catless EL headers, Stage 2+ OFT tune, Greddy SP Elite Axleback headers. The headers and tune were done literally a week before this happened. It was driving fine all week until this happened: I was driving on Friday, I had to do a 2 point turn, when I came to a complete stop to do the turn, the engine stalled. I turned the car off but it would not turn back on it would try but wouldn't turn over, got a boost from my moms car and my friends car and nothing. Took the battery and alternator out, got them tested at two different parts stores, they both were good, nothing was wrong with them. Although Pep Boys told me the battery was low on charge. I put them back in the car and tried to turn it on. It struggled to start but finally turned over. It sounds super super rough though. Here is the video of when it started after I put the alternator and battery back in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8O4XW4CBA



A lot of the guys on Facebook groups are telling me my engine is done. I dont know how I didn't do anything to warrant a failed engine. Honestly since the pandemic started I haven't even been driving much. Thanks in advance for any and all help. I am literally praying my engine isn't finished.

Gloonge 09-13-2020 03:40 PM

Definitely sound like a trash motor. Pull the dip stick and check for glitter or water.

You hit a puddle recently? Or forget to change your oil for 20k miles?

Also, with the rpms fluctuating and all that noise if it were anything external you would be hard pressed to miss it on a quick visual inspection.

the new guy 09-13-2020 03:55 PM

Definitely sounds like it’s knocking, hate to see that for you. My 65k 2014 motor did the same seemingly out of no where. I paid a dealer a diag fee who wanted to tear it down to confirm failure but at that point I knew to replace.

Here’s what I did to replace it:

Search for an engine on car-part.com

You’ll want to find:
An engine from the same model year/transmission
An engine with no cracks, tested, warranty, and ideally provides a core refund plus the cost of picking up the core included.

When my 2014 started knocking (non recall related) I paid about $2500 for the motor and another $2000 having a local performance shop do the engine swap.

p1l0t 09-13-2020 04:19 PM

That almost sounds like it could be something on the accessory belt. I wouldn't run it anymore though until you figure it out in case it is internal. I don't see any CEL though..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Slade 09-13-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the new guy (Post 3366905)
Definitely sounds like it’s knocking, hate to see that for you. My 65k 2014 motor did the same seemingly out of no where. I paid a dealer a diag fee who wanted to tear it down to confirm failure but at that point I knew to replace.

Here’s what I did to replace it:

Search for an engine on car-part.com

You’ll want to find:
An engine from the same model year/transmission
An engine with no cracks, tested, warranty, and ideally provides a core refund plus the cost of picking up the core included.

When my 2014 started knocking (non recall related) I paid about $2500 for the motor and another $2000 having a local performance shop do the engine swap.

Yikes really hope thats not the case

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3366908)
That almost sounds like it could be something on the accessory belt. I wouldn't run it anymore though until you figure it out in case it is internal. I don't see any CEL though..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah so I have no CEL, I used my OFT tablet to read the ECU and there are no codes there either. I started it again after I made this thread the the knocking went away significantly but its still there. There was a lot of squeaking coming from the belt though. You can see it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxGnYk42jA8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloonge (Post 3366901)
Definitely sound like a trash motor. Pull the dip stick and check for glitter or water.

You hit a puddle recently? Or forget to change your oil for 20k miles?

Also, with the rpms fluctuating and all that noise if it were anything external you would be hard pressed to miss it on a quick visual inspection.

No and no, after that video I took I did do an oil change just to see if there were any metal pieces in the used oil, I had none which I am happy to say. I am bringing it to a shop tomorrow, lets see what happens.

humfrz 09-13-2020 07:36 PM

Sounds to me like a Ford Model T running.


I'll go with something to do with the belt theory.

I suggest you take the belt off and fire it up for a moment to see if the sound is still there.

I hope it's minor.

Slade 09-13-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3366945)
Sounds to me like a Ford Model T running.


I'll go with something to do with the belt theory.

I suggest you take the belt off and fire it up for a moment to see if the sound is still there.

I hope it's minor.

Praying, its minor, I'm on a Facebook BRZ/86/FRS group and everyone is say the motor is finished.

Slade 09-14-2020 03:59 PM

Hey everyone, I brought the car to a shop today, they told me the engine is blown and I need to get a new one. Super bummed, but thank you all for your help I really appreciate it. Not sure what Im going to do now

Slade 09-14-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3366983)
It is in the belt accessory's. You can see the tensioner bouncing erratically in your video. Engine sounds to rev cleanly. Pull belt then start it.

Shop told me the motors done though

NoHaveMSG 09-14-2020 07:56 PM

Doesn’t sound like rod knock.

This is rod knock.

https://youtu.be/Y5IFdDXJ2YY

alphasaur 09-14-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3366983)
It is in the belt accessory's. You can see the tensioner bouncing erratically in your video. Engine sounds to rev cleanly. Pull belt then start it.

I thought the same. The tensioner moves in sync with the knocking.

humfrz 09-14-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367156)
Shop told me the motors done though

So, as many have suggested, pull the belt and start it up to see if the noise stops - what do you have to loooooooooose?

And you may have the price of a new engine to gain - :)

Slade 09-14-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3367231)
So, as many have suggested, pull the belt and start it up to see if the noise stops - what do you have to loooooooooose?

And you may have the price of a new engine to gain - :)

You're right. I will try it, can I just get some help, when I took out the alternator I removed the belt from the pulley on the alternator, but I am not sure how to remove the belt completely. Also when the belt is removed, if the noise stops does that mean it was a bad belt?

Slade 09-14-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3367224)
Pull the belt off then start it again then you will know for yourself.

Dumb question, but if I pull the belt off and the noise goes away, does that mean my problem was just a bad belt? No bad rods in the motor?

humfrz 09-14-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367235)
You're right. I will try it, can I just get some help, when I took out the alternator I removed the belt from the pulley on the alternator, but I am not sure how to remove the belt completely. Also when the belt is removed, if the noise stops does that mean it was a bad belt?

The crank pulley is what is driving the belt. All you have to do is to loosen the belt enough so it doesn't go around, you don't have to take it all the way off.

If the noise stops when the belt is not moving that usually means that something that the belt is driving has a bad bearing and that part needs to be fixed or replaced.

I would start off suspecting the tensioner pully.

Slade 09-14-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3367227)
Doesn’t sound like rod knock.

This is rod knock.

https://youtu.be/Y5IFdDXJ2YY

Oh man you're giving me hope. Not gonna lie I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

Slade 09-14-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3367238)
The crank pulley is what is driving the belt. All you have to do is to loosen the belt enough so it doesn't go around, you don't have to take it all the way off.

If the noise stops when the belt is not moving that usually means that something that the belt is driving has a bad bearing and that part needs to be fixed or replaced.

I would start off suspecting the tensioner pully.

Thanks you for this. I will take my car back from the shop its at tomorrow. One more question (Sorry if I am annoying you) should I have the car towed to my house or can I drive it? The shop is literally walking distance from my house so by car its like a 3 minute drive.

humfrz 09-14-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367240)
Thanks you for this. I will take my car back from the shop its at tomorrow. One more question (Sorry if I am annoying you) should I have the car towed to my house or can I drive it? The shop is literally walking distance from my house so by car its like a 3 minute drive.

No, you aren't annoying me - ;)

Well, I'd ask the shop if they would loosen up the belt, just to satisfy your curiosity. If they won't do that, I'd ask them if it would be OK for you to loosen up the belt while it's at their shop.

If not, I'd just drive it home and check it out.

Slade 09-15-2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3367257)
Was you planning on having the shop replace the engine?

I was at first, They told me they can find me one tomorrow and do the work, but then I decided if I have to get a new engine I might as well go through Subaru and have the dealer do it, even though it will be more expensive. But now it seems like I may not even need a new engine. Praying to Jesus that is the case.

Also I love your username, believe it or not it’s always been a dream to see both of our characters have a crossover one day. Solid Snake vs Slade/Deathstroke. I feel like they are pretty similar. Of course that would never happen

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3367272)
No, you aren't annoying me - ;)

Well, I'd ask the shop if they would loosen up the belt, just to satisfy your curiosity. If they won't do that, I'd ask them if it would be OK for you to loosen up the belt while it's at their shop.

If not, I'd just drive it home and check it out.

Thanks, I think I’ll just drive it home and loosen it myself. If that doesn’t fix the problem I’d rather go through Subaru to get this replacement done. I also found a DIY on the belt replacement here, it’s pretty much the same thing as when I removed the alternator except you are taking the belt off all the pulleys. I’m sure you knew that obviously but I was happy to see it’s relatively simple.

kev0 09-15-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367298)
I was at first, They told me they can find me one tomorrow and do the work, but then I decided if I have to get a new engine I might as well go through Subaru and have the dealer do it, even though it will be more expensive. But now it seems like I may not even need a new engine. Praying to Jesus that is the case.

Also I love your username, believe it or not it’s always been a dream to see both of our characters have a crossover one day. Solid Snake vs Slade/Deathstroke. I feel like they are pretty similar. Of course that would never happen



Thanks, I think I’ll just drive it home and loosen it myself. If that doesn’t fix the problem I’d rather go through Subaru to get this replacement done. I also found a DIY on the belt replacement here, it’s pretty much the same thing as when I removed the alternator except you are taking the belt off all the pulleys. I’m sure you knew that obviously but I was happy to see it’s relatively simple.


Highly suggest not getting a replacement engine, new or used, through the dealership. Just take your time to find one on the internet, even if you have to drive a rental for the meantime. Dealer prices are absolutely bonkers. I'm talking about 13k for a new engine. That's how much a new block costs last time I've seen their pricing list.

Slade 09-15-2020 12:30 PM

Here is the engine running without the belt

https://youtu.be/wNi_gqNm6wo

humfrz 09-15-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367389)
Here is the engine running without the belt

OK, so much for the easy fix - :(

It sounds to me like a valve tappet is really lose, almost like the shim has escaped from underneath the bucket, although I don't know how that would be possible. Maybe something else in the valve train is whacked out. - :iono:

Tcoat 09-15-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3367389)
Here is the engine running without the belt

https://youtu.be/wNi_gqNm6wo

Doesn't sound pretty but I am not convinced that is a whole engine replacement song either. It will of course need to be opened up to see what is what.
I personally would have a hard time jumping to "blown engine" based solely upon that sound.

NoHaveMSG 09-15-2020 02:03 PM

Easiest for sure tell without dissembling the engine is have a used oil analysis done. They will be able to pick up the bearing material in the oil if that is what is going on, but that sounds pretty eff'd.

Tokay444 09-15-2020 02:19 PM

Gotta love the ol’, “my engine sounds like shit/knocks/ticks/etc.” threads, yet they keep starting it and running it, for what I don’t know. Like, maybe it’ll go away if they rev it long enough? Just fix itself?

Tokay444 09-15-2020 10:12 PM

Wasn’t what I was getting at, at all, but ok.

WildCard600 09-15-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3367602)
Wasn’t what I was getting at, at all, but ok.

[David Freiburger] I guess it fixed itself. It is self healing... [/David Freiburger]

Slade 09-16-2020 12:02 AM

Thanks everyone for all the help. I have an appointment this Tuesday at the dealer, they will look at it. I'll fill you guys in.

Tokay444 09-16-2020 09:40 AM

Maybe try starting it some more in the meantime.

humfrz 09-16-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3367719)
Maybe try starting it some more in the meantime.

I believe he was trying to start it again to see if the sound was still there after he removed the belt, as several of us suggested.

:iono:

Tokay444 09-17-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3367761)
I believe he was trying to start it again to see if the sound was still there after he removed the belt, as several of us suggested.

:iono:

And that's why you need to be very selective about which forum you come to for automotive diagnostics advice, and even more selective about which advice you take.

TommyW 09-17-2020 10:32 AM

Mine with rods knocking and bearings shot

https://youtu.be/zbd4DzAlW4c

Tokay444 09-18-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3368240)
So your advice is take it to a garage and let them start it?
Then if they are a good garage they will cut the belt and start it again?

Then again they may just replace the engine without even diagnosing it or fix a minor problem and charge for an engine replacement. People in the forums do not have any financial motive.

There are plenty of diagnostic techniques that don't involve starting a blown engine.

Gloonge 09-18-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3368263)
There are plenty of diagnostic techniques that don't involve starting a blown engine.

Yea. They could have cut the oil filter with some shears. If you got glitter you got a problem

humfrz 09-18-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3368263)
There are plenty of diagnostic techniques that don't involve starting a blown engine.

What would you suggest?

:iono:

Slade 09-24-2020 11:53 AM

Hey so I had the car at the dealership for most of the week. It is certainly a bad engine. Subaru of America sent me the following message:

Dear Mr. Robin :

I have thoroughly discussed with the retailer. At this time, given the situation and the fact that we have no maintenance records, we would not be in a position to assist out of goodwill from a manufacturer's prospective.
To give you some context, I can only help by providing assistance towards a new engine (upward to $10000). The retailer may be able to find a new engine for $6000 or so but that comes with other questions that can increase that cost, ultimately. Even with the best POTENTIAL help I can provide, you are basically back to square one financially.

Whereas I cannot provide assistance towards the repair, I would be happy to provide an incentive towards a new car of $500.
--------

At this point I am not sure what to do. I can cut my losses, sell the car as is and just get into something else. Or I can see what an independent shop would charge me for a new engine and installation. The service advisor says I can get a used engine thats for $8000 and that we wouldn't even trust the integrity of the engine. It needs a short block, it needs heads etc etc.

I think I'll cut my losses and just get out of this thing. They couldn't even tell me what the exact problem was. Just a lot of we think, we think, we think. What do you guys say? Open to advice. Thanks.

NoHaveMSG 09-24-2020 12:05 PM

If you own it free and clear and can be without it sell it private party. Some DIY'er will engine swap it or replace the engine. You will probably get a lot more then 500 bucks that way. @Opie

Gloonge 09-24-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 3370066)
Hey so I had the car at the dealership for most of the week. It is certainly a bad engine. Subaru of America sent me the following message:



Dear Mr. Robin :



I have thoroughly discussed with the retailer. At this time, given the situation and the fact that we have no maintenance records, we would not be in a position to assist out of goodwill from a manufacturer's prospective.

To give you some context, I can only help by providing assistance towards a new engine (upward to $10000). The retailer may be able to find a new engine for $6000 or so but that comes with other questions that can increase that cost, ultimately. Even with the best POTENTIAL help I can provide, you are basically back to square one financially.



Whereas I cannot provide assistance towards the repair, I would be happy to provide an incentive towards a new car of $500.

--------



At this point I am not sure what to do. I can cut my losses, sell the car as is and just get into something else. Or I can see what an independent shop would charge me for a new engine and installation. The service advisor says I can get a used engine thats for $8000 and that we wouldn't even trust the integrity of the engine. It needs a short block, it needs heads etc etc.



I think I'll cut my losses and just get out of this thing. They couldn't even tell me what the exact problem was. Just a lot of we think, we think, we think. What do you guys say? Open to advice. Thanks.

The guy below has good advice, you can likely get a few thousand if the rest of the car is in good shape from a private sale.

But you can also find a low mileage engine for 3k and have it installed for another $1000 I'm sure.

Slade 09-24-2020 12:25 PM

Thanks for the responses, maybe its immature but I feel like selling it just because I am not happy with how Subaru treated me and do not want anything to do with them. Wah wah wah wah I know, Im a baby.

Theres a known Subaru performance shop a little bit under an hour from me, I called them, they told me they can rebuild mine for about 5k to rebuilt it though they would need to take it apart first to see everything that is needed which would cost about 2k alone, they can get me a used motor for about 4k and labor would be 2k. They actually have one in the shop that they are currently working on, that customer is at 6k so far.

This sucks, this was my first car, I bought it and made the payments without any financial support from my parents. I just paid it off not too long ago and now I have nothing to show for it. But it is what it is. I have a friend who just lost her uncle to Covid-19, so when I look at it like that, I don't have it all that bad. Thank you all for the advice and all who helped me when I first started this thread.

Opie 09-24-2020 12:36 PM

Buy a used engine from a reputable re-seller with a warranty. Buy some beer, invite your friends and swap the motor, problem solved.

Or I'll give you 1k for it as is...AT and I'd have to get it shipped to FL...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.