Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OEM Piston Weight - Re-Balance? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141808)

HotLavaJoe 08-07-2020 08:16 PM

OEM Piston Weight - Re-Balance?
 
Hi all,


I'm planning on rebuilding my 2013 FRS engine soon with all OEM parts except for pistons. I want to go with 13.5:1 compression and 87mm diameter to get a tiny bit more NA power with E85.


My question is: When I get aftermarket pistons that are a different weight from OEM (I cant find OEM piston weight info anywhere) will I have to re-balance the engine in any way?


Thanks,


Joe

Grady 08-08-2020 10:59 AM

No.

Steveiam 08-09-2020 02:46 PM

Why not swap out for stronger rods while everything's apart?

Jdmjunkie 08-09-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveiam (Post 3356299)
Why not swap out for stronger rods while everything's apart?

Not to mention lighter for maximum revs and NA goodness!

Turdinator 08-10-2020 02:00 AM

Lighter rods don't seem to be a thing for the FA20

PulsarBeeerz 08-10-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveiam (Post 3356299)
Why not swap out for stronger rods while everything's apart?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie (Post 3356393)
Not to mention lighter for maximum revs and NA goodness!


No need for stronger rods when NA and apart from one fella with custom Ti con rods the OEMs are plenty light.



If anything maybe make sure the current or new OEM rods are all of equal weight and balanced since the new pistons will be.

86TOYO2k17 08-10-2020 12:34 PM

Get some head work done while the heads are off. oversized valves, springs, port/polish etc... maybe even a cam. Rev her out to 7800 with the 13.5 compression, and get an ace 150 header for that top end. Maybe toss in some ITBs. you could Probably have The highest WHP non stroked NA FA20.

PulsarBeeerz 08-10-2020 12:45 PM

Just throw $15k at it. NBD

Jdmjunkie 08-10-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3356563)
Just throw $15k at it. NBD

It is only money. :iono:

NoHaveMSG 08-10-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie (Post 3356393)
Not to mention lighter for maximum revs and NA goodness!

That way the rocker arms come out at higher velocity :party0030:

86TOYO2k17 08-10-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3356563)
Just throw $15k at it. NBD

Why stop at $15k? Mortgage interest rates are at historic lows.

RayRay88 08-11-2020 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3356553)
Get some head work done while the heads are off. oversized valves, springs, port/polish etc... maybe even a cam. Rev her out to 7800 with the 13.5 compression, and get an ace 150 header for that top end. Maybe toss in some ITBs. you could Probably have The highest WHP non stroked NA FA20.

Probably not worth it unless you can address oiling issues. All that money just to watch a bearing spin before your first oil change.

PulsarBeeerz 08-11-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayRay88 (Post 3356783)
Probably not worth it unless you can address oiling issues. All that money just to watch a bearing spin before your first oil change.


Yup the only ones that seem to have it figured out are Element Tuning and after you add up all the stuff mentioned, you are well over $15k... Smarter to wait for the KMiata K24 swap in reality.

Turdinator 08-11-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotLavaJoe (Post 3355821)
Hi all,


I'm planning on rebuilding my 2013 FRS engine soon with all OEM parts except for pistons. I want to go with 13.5:1 compression and 87mm diameter to get a tiny bit more NA power with E85.


My question is: When I get aftermarket pistons that are a different weight from OEM (I cant find OEM piston weight info anywhere) will I have to re-balance the engine in any way?


Thanks,


Joe

If you are rebuilding it to gain performance, why not spend a little extra and get it fully balanced regardless?

86TOYO2k17 08-12-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3356932)
Yup the only ones that seem to have it figured out are Element Tuning and after you add up all the stuff mentioned, you are well over $15k... Smarter to wait for the KMiata K24 swap in reality.

Element Tuning Pro Comp 13.5:1 NA Engine Build with Big Valve Heads $7363

PulsarBeeerz 08-12-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3357217)
Element Tuning Pro Comp 13.5:1 NA Engine Build with Big Valve Heads $7363

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3356553)
Get some head work done while the heads are off. oversized valves, springs, port/polish etc... maybe even a cam. Rev her out to 7800 with the 13.5 compression, and get an ace 150 header for that top end. Maybe toss in some ITBs. you could Probably have The highest WHP non stroked NA FA20.


$7362 - Element Tuning Pro Comp 13.5:1 NA Engine Build with Big Valve Heads
$1,495.00 - Ace 150 header
$2900 - Greddy ITB
$1250 - Piper Cams
$1645 - EcuTek w/t Flex fuel
$600 - Any oil cooler..


Total $15K+

NoHaveMSG 08-12-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3357217)
Element Tuning Pro Comp 13.5:1 NA Engine Build with Big Valve Heads $7363

I believe it was @86_IT who called ET about a big valve NA build using stock pistons. They told him it is not worth it NA. I'd imagine the NA pro comp build is if you are trying to maximize everything within a rule set.

Stock K24 with swap header and intake manifold with a tune is making 220-230whp.

86TOYO2k17 08-12-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3357227)
$7362 - Element Tuning Pro Comp 13.5:1 NA Engine Build with Big Valve Heads
$1,495.00 - Ace 150 header
$2900 - Greddy ITB
$1250 - Piper Cams
$1645 - EcuTek w/t Flex fuel
$600 - Any oil cooler..


Total $15K+

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3356602)
Why stop at $15k? Mortgage interest rates are at historic lows.

:bonk::cheers:

I'd never do it, but it would be cool to see someone else do if they wanted max effort NA FA20 build.

86TOYO2k17 08-12-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3357239)
I believe it was @86_IT who called ET about a big valve NA build using stock pistons. They told him it is not worth it NA. I'd imagine the NA pro comp build is if you are trying to maximize everything within a rule set.

Stock K24 with swap header and intake manifold with a tune is making 220-230whp.

worth it is very subjective. to me touching an FA engine without boost is a waste of time. but to others it might be exactly what they want.

bang for buck or more effective methods of achieving something aren't always what motivates someone to do it.

Sometimes doing something unique no one has done, or everyone says is not possible, not worth it, bad idea etc... is just the very reason someone might want to do it.

Sometimes the journey is more fun than the final destination.

NoHaveMSG 08-12-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3357247)
worth it is very subjective. to me touching an FA engine without boost is a waste of time. but to others it might be exactly what they want.

bang for buck or more effective methods of achieving something aren't always what motivates someone to do it.

Sometimes doing something unique no one has done, or everyone says is not possible, not worth it, bad idea etc... is just the very reason someone might want to do it.

Sometimes the journey is more fun than the final destination.

Oh I agree. When I finish remodeling and selling my last rental I will be calling Pure and plunking down the 6k for harness and motec ecu for my K swap. I could easily sell the car as is and buy something that fits what I want more closely, but this car is mine :burnrubber: Plus if I wreak the car on track I can just buy a salvage title one and reuse those parts. Can't say I would be in the same position if I went out and bought an Elise or 4C.

PulsarBeeerz 08-12-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3357250)
Oh I agree. When I finish remodeling and selling my last rental I will be calling Pure and plunking down the 6k for harness and motec ecu for my K swap. I could easily sell the car as is and buy something that fits what I want more closely, but this car is mine :burnrubber: Plus if I wreak the car on track I can just buy a salvage title one and reuse those parts. Can't say I would be in the same position if I went out and bought an Elise or 4C.


Might want to wait until KMiata finished their kit. They plan to use a Halltech PNP kit $1800 and mate the K24 to the OEM transmission not that the S2000 transmission is that expensive used... In theory engine management alone $4k could be saved and dumped into a built K20 head. :thumbup:

NoHaveMSG 08-12-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3357281)
Might want to wait until KMiata finished their kit. They plan to use a Halltech PNP kit $1800 and mate the K24 to the OEM transmission not that the S2000 transmission is that expensive used... In theory engine management alone $4k could be saved and dumped into a built K20 head. :thumbup:


I wouldn’t want to use our stock trans. It’s too flimsy and too far forward. I’d likely go E46 6 speed with the KMiata adapter. Will the Halltech retain full capability like the motec setup?

PulsarBeeerz 08-12-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3357286)
I wouldn’t want to use our stock trans. It’s too flimsy and too far forward. I’d likely go E46 6 speed with the KMiata adapter. Will the Halltech retain full capability like the motec setup?

No idea man. We'll have to wait and see.

prandelia 09-29-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3357239)
I believe it was @86_IT who called ET about a big valve NA build using stock pistons. They told him it is not worth it NA. I'd imagine the NA pro comp build is if you are trying to maximize everything within a rule set.

Stock K24 with swap header and intake manifold with a tune is making 220-230whp.

I spoke to Element about this same type of NA build, using either stock or JE pistons at stock 12.5:1 CR. They said the same thing, unless you want to build a motor for a ruleset. For me it's more about reliability, since my class's hp/wt ratio won't change. I just wanted a motor with the better oiling, upgraded bearings, valve springs, rods, rocker lockers, etc. etc.

I'm kinda purist with this car. At first I set out to prove it can be a front running car in GLTC, which at 200whp, I did. But the problem is you don't have the luxury of being able to make 215-225hp without a big money build, so then you can't detune to have a flat power curves, which is what all the K-swap miatas I race with have.

That said, I still really don't want to K-swap, simply because that's literally what everybody else is doing. But for guys who want big NA power (or FI), with a MUCH easier motor to work on, that you can buy from salvage yard for $700, it's hard to argue with the K24 swap, fo sho!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.