Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Refined Exhaust Note (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140129)

EvolutionRevolution 05-01-2020 10:03 PM

Refined Exhaust Note
 
I want my exhaust to be refined aggression.:thumbup:

I have a professional job and can't be RACECAR-ING-IT all the time, and that's not what I'm after regardless..

Current exhaust mods:

*HKS EL header, coated
*AVO over pipe, coated
*stock FP
*Invidia Q300 dual cat back

Basically want a setup that has some bite when I get on it, but doesn't drone or sound obnoxious at low RPMs. Current set up sounds a little bland to me. Quiet enough but bland. Want a sound that's a little more exotic..

My thought is maybe a UEL header would give me the little bit of ompf I'm after?

Any suggestions at all? What say you lads?

THANKS.

PulsarBeeerz 05-01-2020 11:23 PM

Dump the oem front pipe for a larger aftermarket catted or uncatted front pipe. Should be all you need.

weederr33 05-01-2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvolutionRevolution (Post 3326273)
I want my exhaust to be refined aggression.:thumbup:

I have a professional job and can't be RACECAR-ING-IT all the time, and that's not what I'm after regardless..

Current exhaust mods:

*HKS EL header, coated
*AVO over pipe, coated
*stock FP
*Invidia Q300 dual cat back

Basically want a setup that has some bite when I get on it, but doesn't drone or sound obnoxious at low RPMs. Current set up sounds a little bland to me. Quiet enough but bland. Want a sound that's a little more exotic..

My thought is maybe a UEL header would give me the little bit of ompf I'm after at WOT?

Any suggestions at all? What say you lads?

THANKS.

When I put the TRD axelback on, the HKS header sounded very good. Although I had their R-Spec frontpipe too...

NWFRS 05-01-2020 11:35 PM

Do a stealthy V-12 swap while no one is looking.

HaXx 05-01-2020 11:43 PM

trade someone for their invidia N1. the minute you mess with your front pipe youre going be a straight up rattle tin can.

or sell me the hks EL and buy a UEL

EvolutionRevolution 05-02-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaXx (Post 3326316)
trade someone for their invidia N1. the minute you mess with your front pipe youre going be a straight up rattle tin can.

or sell me the hks EL and buy a UEL

I feel like the N1 is a little too loud and droney for my taste

PM'd ya about the header tho :thumbup:

mrg666 05-02-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvolutionRevolution (Post 3326373)
I feel like the N1 is a little too loud and droney for my taste

PM'd ya about the header tho :thumbup:

Try HKS HiPower Spec-L instead of N1 for similar type but lower sound. Plus it is very light. There are youtube videos.

Ernest72 05-03-2020 09:52 AM

Just wait the Q300 will get louder over time, mine did. A little raspier too when on it. Not sure I love it with Windows open, windows closed cabin sounds good. Jdl uel catless header, jdl catted and resonated FP, stock overpipe.

DarkPira7e 05-03-2020 11:29 AM

I think the best refined aggression is factory exhaust with a catless header.

NoHaveMSG 05-03-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3326727)
I think the best refined aggression is factory exhaust with a catless header.

I actually think the opposite. I think my car sounded best with just a cat back and no other exhaust mods. I have a stock cat back, catless header, and front pipe with high flow cat now. It sounds like absolute garbage.

Yoshoobaroo 05-03-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3326728)
I actually think the opposite. I think my car sounded best with just a cat back and no other exhaust mods. I have a stock cat back, catless header, and front pipe with high flow cat now. It sounds like absolute garbage.


Agreed. I went:

Stock
Catless header only
Catless header + catted front pipe
Catback only

I’m never going back. Only stock and catback only sounded good.

DarkPira7e 05-03-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3326728)
I actually think the opposite. I think my car sounded best with just a cat back and no other exhaust mods. I have a stock cat back, catless header, and front pipe with high flow cat now. It sounds like absolute garbage.

That's why sound is subjective, and these threads never have a conclusion until OP comes to their own conclusion :) but it's fun to discuss anyway. Even with my turbo I had the stock catback and everyone that heard the car couldn't believe how refined it sounds.

NoHaveMSG 05-03-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3326734)
That's why sound is subjective, and these threads never have a conclusion until OP comes to their own conclusion :) but it's fun to discuss anyway. Even with my turbo I had the stock catback and everyone that heard the car couldn't believe how refined it sounds.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it is subjective but I hate that really raspy noise. In all my in car videos the noise is actually tolerable, but the video takes the harshness out of hit. My car is really raspy, it sounds like a Honda civic modded after the first fast and the furious movie.

mav1178 05-03-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3326727)
I think the best refined aggression is factory exhaust with a catless header.

I did that once, Tomei header w/ stock everything else.

There was some really annoying rattle sounds coming from the stock exhaust under load on the freeway.

gpvecchi 05-03-2020 03:17 PM

A friend said that on his BRZ the key was to keep stock midpipe, if using a catless header. Any other combo he tried sounded ugly...

DarkPira7e 05-03-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 3326748)
I did that once, Tomei header w/ stock everything else.

There was some really annoying rattle sounds coming from the stock exhaust under load on the freeway.

Strange, mine was nice. Maybe because I put on a 300 mile stock 2017 exhaust to replace my nasty 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQWZELvrCY (Inside)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIlEz3V4rag (outside)

mav1178 05-03-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3326776)
Strange, mine was nice.

This is the problem with small sample sizes, there's no right or wrong answer. When piecing together exhaust systems piece by piece, you get too many different outcomes...

mav1178 05-03-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3326774)
A friend said that on his BRZ the key was to keep stock midpipe, if using a catless header. Any other combo he tried sounded ugly...

or some type of header system where the header/OP/front pipe was the same maker, and the catalytic converter + resonator are large units on the front pipe.

This way, you can run whatever exhaust you want.

jflogerzi 05-04-2020 12:24 AM

I think you should look at a JDL resonated FP or HKS dual resonated. Should pair well with your current setup and give you a bit more volume without getting to loud

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

kevaughan 05-05-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest72 (Post 3326709)
Just wait the Q300 will get louder over time, mine did. A little raspier too when on it. Not sure I love it with Windows open, windows closed cabin sounds good. Jdl uel catless header, jdl catted and resonated FP, stock overpipe.

My Q300 did the same thing! It's definitely louder and I would dare to say almost it's as loud as the R400 Gemini when I had it.

Ernest72 05-05-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevaughan (Post 3327343)
My Q300 did the same thing! It's definitely louder and I would dare to say almost it's as loud as the R400 Gemini when I had it.

I know. Not that happy about it. Luckily I tuned out the cold start, otherwise waking the neighbors at 6:30am would not be good. I am not a young punk so I don’t want something ridiculous. Hopefully it stays where, it is. If it gets much louder I might have to do something. I would love to have someone repack it for me. Have not found who would do that at a reasonable cost.

CSG Mike 05-05-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3326727)
I think the best refined aggression is factory exhaust with a catless header.

Have you ever heard how that sounds from outside? It rattles like an old civic with distasteful mods.

It's actually bad enough that folks in CA get pulled over for it.

DarkPira7e 05-05-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3327404)
Have you ever heard how that sounds from outside? It rattles like an old civic with distasteful mods.

It's actually bad enough that folks in CA get pulled over for it.

I swear to goodness mine didn't sound that bad. Maybe it helped that the header was CNT rather than expensive well thought out runner design, and UEL

ItsReiko 05-05-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3327404)
Have you ever heard how that sounds from outside? It rattles like an old civic with distasteful mods.

It's actually bad enough that folks in CA get pulled over for it.

Why does that happen? Starting to worry me because I just ordered a Tomei catless header.

Yoshoobaroo 05-05-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsReiko (Post 3327622)
Why does that happen? Starting to worry me because I just ordered a Tomei catless header.


No primary cat and much thinner metal on the header pipes.

I can confirm, even my stock exhaust + JDL header, which uses thicker steel than most aftermarket headers, was raspy from the outside.

CSG Mike 05-05-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsReiko (Post 3327622)
Why does that happen? Starting to worry me because I just ordered a Tomei catless header.

longer exhaust sound waves that the stock muffler wasn't designed to muffle, because the stock cat handles that. These longer waves then introduce vibration, which manifests as a nasty rattle.

Specifically, the sound is that of any old car with a very rattly or tinny exhaust.

The CSG Touring86 will eliminate this problem while maintaining a mature exhaust note.

ItsReiko 05-05-2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo (Post 3327633)
No primary cat and much thinner metal on the header pipes.

I can confirm, even my stock exhaust + JDL header, which uses thicker steel than most aftermarket headers, was raspy from the outside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3327638)
longer exhaust sound waves that the stock muffler wasn't designed to muffle, because the stock cat handles that. These longer waves then introduce vibration, which manifests as a nasty rattle.

Specifically, the sound is that of any old car with a very rattly or tinny exhaust.

The CSG Touring86 will eliminate this problem while maintaining a mature exhaust note.

Am I right to assume that this rasp/rattle you guys are speaking of with an aftermarket catless header only happens if you are still on the stock catback? Or it will sound like that in general when you get a catless header? :mad0259:

I'm planning to install the Tomei EL header paired to a Perrin 2.5in resonated catback.

CSG Mike 05-05-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsReiko (Post 3327641)
Am I right to assume that this rasp/rattle you guys are speaking of with an aftermarket catless header only happens if you are still on the stock catback? Or it will sound like that in general when you get a catless header? :mad0259:

I'm planning to install the Tomei EL header paired to a Perrin 2.5in resonated catback.

We're referring to the stock catback. The Perrin won't rattle.

mistople 05-06-2020 12:22 AM

EL header + stock FP + Perrin 2.5" resonated

ItsReiko 05-06-2020 01:24 AM

@mistople catless? Any pops on this setup? ;D

mistople 05-06-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsReiko (Post 3327681)
@mistople catless? Any pops on this setup? ;D

I run the Ace A350 which is catless. The stock FP obviously retains the stock cat. No pops or weirdness. Sounds very racecar :party0030:

weederr33 05-06-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3327797)
I run the Ace A350 which is catless. The stock FP obviously retains the stock cat. No pops or weirdness. Sounds very racecar :party0030:

I can attest to this claim. The ACE headers give it a very good sound

ItsReiko 05-06-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3327797)
I run the Ace A350 which is catless. The stock FP obviously retains the stock cat. No pops or weirdness. Sounds very racecar :party0030:

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3327882)
I can attest to this claim. The ACE headers give it a very good sound

It's unfortunate that I can purchase two Tomei headers and still have $400 left over for the price of an Ace :cry:

jflogerzi 05-07-2020 12:40 AM

Look at JDL 4-2-1 EL cheaper than ace

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

HaXx 05-07-2020 12:49 AM

Dont worry too much about what brand header you get. 80% of the gains are coming just from the fact that you ditched the cat in the header

Breadman 05-07-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3327797)
I run the Ace A350 which is catless. The stock FP obviously retains the stock cat. No pops or weirdness. Sounds very racecar :party0030:


i have ace with a tomie 60s and it sounds like the tinmans asshole over 4k. also some times i get some small pops of crackles if im really on it and lift

NoHaveMSG 05-07-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3328099)
i have ace with a tomie 60s and it sounds like the tinmans asshole over 4k. also some times i get some small pops of crackles if im really on it and lift

Tomei 60S, enough said.

weederr33 05-07-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3328099)
i have ace with a tomie 60s and it sounds like the tinmans asshole over 4k. also some times i get some small pops of crackles if im really on it and lift

Uh.... now I'm curious what the tinman's asshole sounds like :confused0068:

mistople 05-07-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breadman (Post 3328099)
i have ace with a tomie 60s and it sounds like the tinmans asshole over 4k. also some times i get some small pops of crackles if im really on it and lift

Not surprised. Those are a totally different style of catback.

Breadman 05-07-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3328229)
Uh.... now I'm curious what the tinman's asshole sounds like :confused0068:

https://youtu.be/RP3iWyDxrZ4?t=315


ill be putting in a 2.5" high flow front pipe this weekend so it's gonna sound worse


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.