Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bucket Seats to Factory Sliders *New from Brey-Krause Auto* (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136924)

BizzMan 09-19-2019 04:11 PM

Bucket Seats to Factory Sliders *New from Brey-Krause Auto*
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

Brey-Krause just used my 2016 BRZ as a platform to develop some new goodies for our cars. Aftermarket side mounts for bucket seats that utilize the factory sliders are done and will be available to purchase in a couple weeks. I have the Sparco QRT mounted up and it's a dream setup. It lets you mount the seat nice and low, because all that nonsense meat is gone with the factory seat. Below are some points their developing engineer wanted me to mention, so take a look and let me know what questions you have!

-includes provisions to attach the factory 3 point seat belt receiver
-includes provisions to use bolt in 4/5/6 point harness lap belts
-includes provisions to use clip in 4/5/6 point harness lap belts
-includes mount points for our sub strap mount (R-9258 or 9259 depending on seat width)
-more slider travel than aftermarket slides
-stock sliders are strong enough to mount belts above (unlike aftermarket sliders), so belts stay properly located to the seat regardless of seat position
-stock sliders don’t get noisy over time like aftermarket sliders do

Brey-Krause has been making these parts for Porsche, BMW, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc for a long time and their quality is excellent.

A harness bar and fire extinguisher mount are almost done being developed, so I'll make a separate post when they're done testing.

Dr. BRZ 09-19-2019 09:36 PM

I like that idea!

kpheez 09-23-2019 07:10 PM

:party0030:

scotto79 09-25-2019 11:30 AM

Very nice, so whats the price look like for these?

Either way, it will save $150 or so per side for floor mounts.

Akuma13 10-08-2019 05:33 PM

in for these for sure!!

bmacfrs 10-08-2019 07:37 PM

When?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Foxystyle 10-12-2019 02:27 PM

Interested, but the question is when?

Pat 10-22-2020 12:42 PM

I had BK gear in my Boxster many years ago and loved it. I will be buying a QRT seat soon for my BRZ and am trying to figure out what I should do about mounts, sliders, hardware, etc. Originally I was planning on VAC mounts and Sparco sliders, but this may be a better option.
I am 6'3" and often feel like I don't have enough thigh support. Can you share with me how much thigh support there is with your setup?
I want to retain OEM seat belt functionality. Do I just buy the BK mount an nothing else? I know seat installations can be a PITA and want to make this as simple, elegant, and functional as possible. As of now there will not be a harness used.
Do you have any other words of wisdom for me?
TIA

Pat 10-22-2020 02:45 PM

Also, you used part number 1487, not 1486, right?

TRAKRAVN 10-22-2020 06:26 PM

I have the harness bar and it’s a great product.

Summerwolf 10-25-2020 07:10 PM

Is there a link on where to purchase these?

norcalpb 10-26-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3378363)
Is there a link on where to purchase these?

https://www.bkauto.com/category_s/43...show=10&page=2

Pat 10-26-2020 03:45 PM

https://www.bkauto.com/category_s/82.htm

Pat 10-27-2020 06:56 PM

FYI, Lee from Brey-Krause sent me an email saying, "All you will need is the R-1487 to complete your install. Everything you need is included."

Pat 10-29-2020 04:58 PM

Did you reuse your OEM sliders? The word on the street is they are a PITA to remove from the OEM seat. I'd like to learn more about that. If it really is that difficult, might it be best to buy new OEM sliders?

redlined600 11-06-2020 02:23 PM

Good stuff!

These are far less than I thought they might be so good news there.
However, Looking at the pictures it looks as though the set might be as low as it can go in the mount before contacting the mechanism. I wonder if this is low enough.

timurrrr 11-06-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat (Post 3379401)
Did you reuse your OEM sliders? The word on the street is they are a PITA to remove from the OEM seat. I'd like to learn more about that. If it really is that difficult, might it be best to buy new OEM sliders?

+1, more info and pics would be great.

I've been considering to make DIY lowering mounts for stock seats.
Would really appreciate if someone could take pics of the bottom of the seat with the sliders removed, as well as measure the diameters of the mounting holes, as well as distances between them.
So far I was too lazy to pull my seat out just to understand feasibility :)

Pat 11-06-2020 07:46 PM

I spoke with the original poster about this, as well as Brey-Krause. They were both very helpful. I plan on doing this in the next couple months and will document the process for you.

Pat 01-14-2021 11:17 AM

A friend and I installed one-piece seats in our BRZs recently. I have a Sparco QRT-R and he has an OMP (WRC?). We both used OEM sliders on these Brey-Krause mounts. These mounts are a fantastic option for people that want to retain the OEM slider. The whole system works really well together.
I started to document the whole process, but after getting part of the way through realized it just isn't necessary. The job just isn't that difficult. The first time through the process we spent about six hours on it. The second time it probably took less than two. Some people have really struggled removing the OEM slider from the OEM seat. I can see how this would be if you didn't have the following tools:
swivel adapter for 12 mm socket
12 mm offset wrench
12 mm ratcheting wrench
E-torx for seat removal (pre-2017 models only)
But if you're reasonably competent with a wrench (unsure if we qualify as that), and you have these tools, you should be able to get the job done. There are other tools necessary, but these are the lesser-common tools I recommend.
Here is a sampling of the pictures I took. I believe these should help anyone struggling to get the job done, as these are the places we struggled until finding the right tool for the job.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12340

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12339

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12338

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12337

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12336

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12335

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12334

Westen86 01-14-2021 05:39 PM

I can vouch for the seat bolts being a PITA. I used a T10 and they rounded like lead. Had to drill them out, reverse tap. I replaced them with 15 or 17mm hardened bolts. Socket just fits in the rail.

redlined600 01-16-2021 12:28 PM

Can you please post an image of how low the seat can go in relation to the slider mounting points. I'm still concerned they won't allow the seat to go low enough.

ka-t_240 01-16-2021 10:30 PM

Are you seated lower than stock with these?

abemo 01-17-2021 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlined600 (Post 3400148)
Can you please post an image of how low the seat can go in relation to the slider mounting points. I'm still concerned they won't allow the seat to go low enough.

Here is a picture of my OMP WRC on these mounts. I don't think I can get it lower in the rear than the middle slot without it interfering with the OEM slider and allowing the seat to lock in place. I can go one slot lower in the front but like the recline I currently have.



Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-t_240 (Post 3400262)
Are you seated lower than stock with these?

I'm probably a little lower than stock but not much. Pat was able to get lower than I was with his sparco seat. So it will probably depend on the shape of your seat and how much clearance you have to allow the slider bar to lock the seats in place.

Pat 01-24-2021 12:36 PM

We worked on our seats more yesterday. I wanted more headroom and for my Sparco QRT-R and more rearward tilt than the original installation. I am 6'3" and my seat was originally mounted on the middle of five holes in the rear and second from the top in the front. I was hoping to drop the rear instead of raise the front, but unfortunately there wasn't enough room under the rear of the seat to mount it any lower than the middle hole. Therefore, my only option for more rearward tilt was to raise the front. I wasn't excited about that, as I was also hoping to sit lower in the car, and raising the front didn't exactly help with that. But I raised the front one hole anyway. I ended up with the front of my seat being mounted as high as possible. With this arrangement the seat has as much rearward lean as possible, which still isn't all that much in my opinion. I'll spend more time in it soon to have a better idea of how it feels, but I think this will be a good setting in the long run. Here are some pictures of the seat in it's current state. You can see there is very little room underneath to make any changes. Surprisingly, I feel like I am lower in the car after raising the front one hole. I suspect this is due to the angle of my torso being less upright. I suspect I have about 1/2 inch more headroom than the OEM seat with this configuration.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12348

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12347

Pat 01-24-2021 12:49 PM

Getting the OEM seat belt receptacle to work was another challenge. Abe bought a variety of extensions (both hard and soft) to experiment with. We thought taking the shorter passenger's side receptacle and moving it to the driver's side with an extension would work best. But after removing the passenger's seat we realized the electronic connections we different than the driver's side. So we abandoned that idea.
The best combination we found was to keep the original driver's side receptacle and just clip in the shortest soft extension we could find. It actually works quite well, with a couple exceptions. You need to hold it up out of the way when sitting down so you don't sit on it. Also, the lap belt doesn't sit quite as low across your hips as the OEM belt. The difference is not large, but it is noticeable. I don't consider it significantly less safe than the OEM belt positioning, but it is a little different. I'm going to live with it a little while and see what I think of it. As it is now, one of the benefits is that the hard plastic receptacle sits above where your hips contact the seat, so you don't feel the hard plastic at all.
I have considered shortening the metal "arm" of the OEM belt receptacle in an effort to lower the belt on my lap. However, if I were to do that, the receptacle the belt connects to would then be lower, potentially pinching between my hips and the side of the seat. Also, it would like hit the plastic trim piece of the seat that the receptacle passes through. If I lower/shorten it even more the receptacle could live in that hole in the seat, which would make fastening the belt a little cumbersome. However, I think that would be ideal if I could make it work without the receptacle falling down between the seat and transmission tunnel. I don't really think it would fall down there if the receptacle lived in the seat hole, but it is a consideration. I'm just going to live with it as is for now and decide on that in the future.
Here's what it looks like now:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12349

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12350

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12351

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12352

Hope that helps!

Vracer111 01-24-2021 01:41 PM

Looks nice Pat! I will say one thing that IMMENSELY help with taller drivers (6'2" here) in the FR-S/BRZ/86 is the 949 Racing 50mm steering spacer - you will not believe how much better and ideal it is to have the seat, pedals, shifter and steering wheel all at the PERFECT distances for your body. Stock steering wheel adjustment is very lacking and never able to be close enough, was always a compromise between feet or hands being perfect distance. I could never drive a stock steering column adjustment one again after having the 949 steering spacer. These cars stock are designed for short Japanese people... uncomfortable for 6'+ Americans with longer legs and arms...

Pat 01-24-2021 07:56 PM

Abe had problems with his OMP WRC-R rocking and twisting. It just didn't feel as solid as my QRT-R. We thought it might be because the slider lever was barely touching the underside of the seat, shown here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12353

He felt the seat was already higher than what he wanted, and therefore was hesitant to use the next higher hole in the side mount, but we couldn't figure out what else might be causing the problem. As the seat was already in it's highest position in front, we had to raise it in the rear. Not only does that put the driver's head closer to the headliner, but it adds more forward lean, neither of which was appealing to him. So we raised the seat to this position:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12354

Fortunately, the seat felt much more sold, and the rocking was eliminated. Unfortunately, he now sits higher than in the OEM seat, and leans forward more than he would like. Hopefully he'll chime in here after a couple weeks of usage to see what he things of the positioning.
Also, I thought you guys might appreciate seeing what the headroom is like with the WRC-R and Brey Krause mount in this setting:

(Again, I'm 6'3")
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12356

I'm unsure how tall Abe is.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=12355

redlined600 01-26-2021 01:35 PM

Thanks so much for posting these, it was extremely helpful! The bottom of the OMP seats is just not advantageous for these kind of mounts. My current seat is nearly right on the floor, and I like sitting low so these just aren't going to work for me. Unfortunate, as it looks like a very nice product.

Pat 01-26-2021 01:43 PM

A little clarification: the bottom of this (WRC-R) OMP seat is not a good match for the Brey-Krause mounts if you want to sit lower than stock and retain the OEM slider.
Glad to hear it was helpful.

yEEt42069 11-07-2021 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat (Post 3402410)
A little clarification: the bottom of this (WRC-R) OMP seat is not a good match for the Brey-Krause mounts if you want to sit lower than stock and retain the OEM slider.
Glad to hear it was helpful.


I'm considering picking up a Sparco QRT-R with these mounts and I need about 1 inch more headroom at the very least. Do you think these mounts would give me the headroom I need?

Pat 11-07-2021 09:30 AM

If I remember correctly this combination got me about 1 inch more headroom than the stock seat. It's not a big difference but it's noticeable.

Jstyle 11-23-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat (Post 3479386)
If I remember correctly this combination got me about 1 inch more headroom than the stock seat. It's not a big difference but it's noticeable.

This is a huge help, thank you!

I put an order in for Sparco EVO L QRT so I'm going to give this a try in the coming months.

Which seat belt extension did you end up going with? Any other thoughts or mods you did since then?

Pat 11-23-2021 11:21 AM

I don't remember what the seat belt extension was. But hopefully Abe will chime in here with more info.
No, I don't have any other thoughts or mods.

Pat 11-23-2021 12:56 PM

Abe just told me they are no longer available on Amazon. Search for Seat Belt Extender Pros E4 Safety Certified Regular 7 inch Seat Belt Extender (7/8" wide Type A Metal Tongue)

ka-t_240 08-09-2023 12:53 PM

Has anyone used these on the passenger side? I have the driver completed, was going to order for the passenger, but see on OG racing it say may not work with FRS? Anyone know the difference?

I was going to just order a seat form a junk yard to get all the parts from vs taking my stock one apart.

Kelse92 09-18-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-t_240 (Post 3589269)
Has anyone used these on the passenger side? I have the driver completed, was going to order for the passenger, but see on OG racing it say may not work with FRS? Anyone know the difference?

I was going to just order a seat form a junk yard to get all the parts from vs taking my stock one apart.

I'm late to the party in just now stumbling upon this, so you've probably already figured it out at this point, but figured I'd chime in anyway in case it helps someone else out in the future.

The fitment issue with the seat on the passenger side is that the passenger side stock slide grab arm has an added upper grab-point that is different from the driver side which only has the lower bar, you just have to cut the upper portion of the arm off.

It's hard to explain, but I found a photo of the underside of driver and passenger stock seats and put a red square around the difference/part to cut off. I also vaguely recall cutting part of the raising/lowering mechanism, but in the end it was minimal modification unless you ever plan on putting the stock seats back in.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...720&fit=bounds

ka-t_240 09-19-2023 02:47 PM

So for my passenger side, I bought a FRS seat from the junk yard so I could keep my factory seat in tact.
  • We had to cut out the rear passenger "escape" stuff that links to the release on the side of the seat. I think it was just having to drill out some rivets to get it off the slider.
  • I did not have to cut or modify the extra pull handle for the seat slider. If you want, it could be done easily.
  • I then cut off the air bag harness and wired the resister in line so it was nice and kept the factory connector style.
  • Removed the factory seat belt receptacle and transfer that to the mounts.
  • Removed all the factory wiring/boxes, and opened up the seat base and removed the occupancy sensor and placed that under the Sparaco cushions. So the occupancy sensor still works.


Lastly, I reassembled the seat, and sold it to someone for a simulator setup.

e1_griego 09-19-2023 02:55 PM

I have a set of these and just wondering how 'wiggly' everyone's mounts are. The slop is in the factory slider, I imagine, as I felt another set in the STX grid a couple weeks ago that had some slop. I, too, bought a junkyard seat to pirate the rails from.

Curious any remedies to tighten these up. I ended up going back to a factory seat, actually.

ka-t_240 09-20-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1_griego (Post 3592921)
I have a set of these and just wondering how 'wiggly' everyone's mounts are. The slop is in the factory slider, I imagine, as I felt another set in the STX grid a couple weeks ago that had some slop. I, too, bought a junkyard seat to pirate the rails from.

Curious any remedies to tighten these up. I ended up going back to a factory seat, actually.

What do you mean by "wiggly"? like flex in the seat?

Also - what seat do you have?

e1_griego 09-20-2023 10:30 AM

There is slop in the rails. Makes the seat move.

Maybe it's just my junkyard rails but another seat I tried at Nats did the same.

I have a QRT-R.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.