Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   K24, let's do this. TheVTEC86 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135887)

ShibusaTouge 07-18-2019 09:40 PM

K24, let's do this. TheVTEC86
 
So after owning my first FRS, I've always been craving another, so back in March, I bought a fully built turbo FRS. Made great numbers, built engine, is300 dif, etc.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...67&oe=5DBEDFB5

I run the mountains almost every day and proceeded to beat the hell out my car for about 2 months until it blew up

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f2&oe=5DB4B033

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ba&oe=5DA95532

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...68&oe=5DA870F3

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=5DA83AF8

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...49&oe=5DBBD9D5

One night I was driving home from a meet-up with my buddies, merging into the highway at about 50% throttle and i heard a massive knock, white smoke, and the car shut down. I limped it home and then to the shop where I sold the engine and trans

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b9&oe=5DEAB5E4

Now this is where I had to decide to follow this dream I've had since I bought my first FRS 3 years ago, or to abandon this car and put a stock engine in and sell it.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...1e&oe=5DB7E707

So I decided to put a K24 in this thing and make it what I've always wanted and I've since ripped everything out, going in completely blind.

I've been in talks with Pure Automotive, Hondata, Kseriesparts, Element Tuning, and a few other companies to help sort everything out as much as we know.

So far I have
  • S2000 AP1 transmission
  • K24A2 from an '06 TSX
  • RSX Type S PRB
  • Kseriesparts Tucked Wiring Harness
  • Kpro4 ECU
  • Custom driveshaft (IS300 dif to S2000 trans)

The next things on the list and figuring out the gas pedal (may have to switch to drive by cable) and slowly piecing the engine back together. I want to get this just running and driving and build a "super K" while it's running (9200 RPM, 270whp, cams, big TB, everything).

Note:
  • I don't have to deal with emmissions
  • This car WILL be street legal
  • I'm not keeping any CANBUS accessories


Current state: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...50&oe=5DD094FD

Ebush 07-19-2019 12:36 AM

Are you going to try and keep the rsx intake manifold? I’ve been wondering if this will fit. I’d like to swap my 86 this winter with a simple and cheap k24 setup.

MrSkubi 07-19-2019 02:14 AM

I'm glad you've decided to start this thread :) Subscribed !

pgranberg11 07-19-2019 11:21 AM

subbed. nice man. good luck. i may be going to the kswap route myself. I'm waiting until Pure Automotive has everything ready and I can just buy it all from them and drop it in.

Icecreamtruk 07-19-2019 12:52 PM

Subbed, possibly my route in the future as well.

eastendraceshop 07-19-2019 12:58 PM

Woot woot! Can't wait to see the build progress! :thumbup:

-Sam

Evil Rocky 07-19-2019 01:20 PM

Excited for this!

Swift 07-19-2019 01:42 PM

I will be watching...

ShibusaTouge 07-19-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebush (Post 3238593)
Are you going to try and keep the rsx intake manifold? I’ve been wondering if this will fit. I’d like to swap my 86 this winter with a simple and cheap k24 setup.

Kmiata and Pure make pretty much anything you'll need. I'll be using the Skunk2 intake from Kmiata

Irace86.2.0 07-20-2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebush (Post 3238593)
Are you going to try and keep the rsx intake manifold? I’ve been wondering if this will fit. I’d like to swap my 86 this winter with a simple and cheap k24 setup.

Three hard words to put in the same sentence.

Ebush 07-20-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3239108)
Three hard words to put in the same sentence.

This swap can be done very cheap without the use of the pure harness. Just depends on how useful you are in the garage, and how many oem features you want to keep.

Irace86.2.0 07-20-2019 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebush (Post 3239111)
This swap can be done very cheap without the use of the pure harness. Just depends on how useful you are in the garage, and how many oem features you want to keep.

I suppose if someone found a cheap k24 then were able to fab a cheap header to oem catback then found an k24 to 86 manual trans adapter and built their own mounts and their own oil pan and then did their own harness and bought a cheap stand alone and got a basic tune and didn't get too crazy with accessories then maybe for under $5k, and maybe they sell their stock engine for a few k, so then it isn't more than a few thousand.

I love how these stories always start.

Ebush 07-20-2019 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3239119)
I suppose if someone found a cheap k24 then were able to fab a cheap header to oem catback then found an k24 to 86 manual trans adapter and built their own mounts and their own oil pan and then did their own harness and bought a cheap stand alone and got a basic tune and didn't get too crazy with accessories then maybe for under $5k, and maybe they sell their stock engine for a few k, so then it isn't more than a few thousand.

I love how these stories always start.

It’s a much better story than paying a shop 30k to swap a stock engine in. $7500 is enough for pure mounts, a trans adapter, kpro, rywire basic harness, kmiata intake, locally made driveshaft, modified s2000 header, custom oil pan and misc parts. I’m not here to argue, just saying that it can be done for cheap, has been done for cheap, and will be done for cheap. Obviously if you want a motec and pure harness the price nearly doubles. I’m sure their quality is good, and if I was made of money I’d buy their full swap kit.

It’s not a weekend project if you go the cheap route, but if you’ve done other custom swaps in the past it looks to be a fairly straight forward swap. I’ll find out later this year when I have more time.

ShibusaTouge 07-20-2019 07:31 AM

The only difficult part about this swap so far is the gas pedal and power steering.

Irace86.2.0 07-20-2019 09:24 AM

@Ebush

Ok $7500 is your cheap. Good to know.

vijay.dy06 07-20-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge (Post 3239144)
The only difficult part about this swap so far is the gas pedal and power steering.

You can use an 04 ish WRX dbc gas pedal. Just need to fab up a bracket for it. Easy to do with an angle grinder and drill.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...52ec1bcdc8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1e0b0fa535.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ShibusaTouge 07-20-2019 04:04 PM

First video is up!

https://youtu.be/DZOy2VMYbIM

ShibusaTouge 07-20-2019 10:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOy...ature=youtu.be

video is up!

Irace86.2.0 07-21-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge (Post 3239379)

I think this is what you wanted...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOy2VMYbIM[/ame]

ShibusaTouge 07-22-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3239649)
I think this is what you wanted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOy2VMYbIM

Haha thank you!

ShibusaTouge 07-24-2019 10:05 AM

Why I chose the k24 over the 2JZ or LS!

https://youtu.be/Ffxa3onVJ0E

Swift 07-24-2019 03:29 PM

Swap out to electric power steering/rack. Some guys use the S2000 system?

ShibusaTouge 07-28-2019 08:59 PM

https://youtu.be/LbEjWLas_OU

Engine work has begun!

wparsons 07-29-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift (Post 3240683)
Swap out to electric power steering/rack. Some guys use the S2000 system?


The stock power steering is already electric... the motor is just on the column instead of in the rack.

ermax 07-29-2019 10:50 PM

That thing is a mess. Should have thrown some degreaser at it before cracking it open.

Swift 07-30-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3242167)
The stock power steering is already electric... the motor is just on the column instead of in the rack.


Yes, my apologies. Would you get more room swapping to someone else's design??

ermax 07-30-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift (Post 3242699)
Yes, my apologies. Would you get more room swapping to someone else's design??

The OEM rack is very compact. The assist motor is mounted to the column right behind the gauge cluster inside the cockpit. They specifically went with this layout to allow them to put the motor as low and far back as possible. Other Subarus do not use this layout.

wparsons 07-30-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift (Post 3242699)
Yes, my apologies. Would you get more room swapping to someone else's design??


If anything you'd probably lose space going to a different rack.

ShibusaTouge 08-10-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3242765)
The OEM rack is very compact. The assist motor is mounted to the column right behind the gauge cluster inside the cockpit. They specifically went with this layout to allow them to put the motor as low and far back as possible. Other Subarus do not use this layout.

Thing i have to worry about is wiring it to my Kseriesparts tucked K harness

ermax 08-10-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge (Post 3246538)
Thing i have to worry about is wiring it to my Kseriesparts tucked K harness



I just read in another thread that as long as it has 12v it will have basic functionality. The assist will not change with speed though.

ShibusaTouge 08-10-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3246539)
I just read in another thread that as long as it has 12v it will have basic functionality. The assist will not change with speed though.

Can you link that? that'd be great if I could keep it. My wheel is locked and I have to figure out I'm going to unlock it without getting rid of the rack.

ermax 08-10-2019 08:20 PM

K24, let's do this. TheVTEC86
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShibusaTouge (Post 3246544)
Can you link that? that'd be great if I could keep it. My wheel is locked and I have to figure out I'm going to unlock it without getting rid of the rack.



I have no idea what it takes to get speed into it. I’m guessing it communicates to ver canbus for that.

When you say your wheel is locked I assume you are talking about the column lock. That should be easy to defeat by simply removing the lock physically.

I made a DIY for replacing the EPS coupler. You can look at that to get an idea of what is involved removing the column. It’s not that bad at all.


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606

ShibusaTouge 08-12-2019 04:54 PM

We got the engine apart!

https://youtu.be/vvr_0-s_I0k

ShibusaTouge 08-12-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3246549)
I have no idea what it takes to get speed into it. I’m guessing it communicates to ver canbus for that.

When you say your wheel is locked I assume you are talking about the column lock. That should be easy to defeat by simply removing the lock physically.

I made a DIY for replacing the EPS coupler. You can look at that to get an idea of what is involved removing the column. It’s not that bad at all.


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606

Contacted AEM today and they said they should be able to run some CAN accessories on the column to allow me to keep everything.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.