Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Help me find the best process and products for waxing a black BRZ Ts (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135835)

zac8 07-16-2019 10:09 PM

Help me find the best process and products for waxing a black BRZ Ts
 
Any opinions or methods are welcome. its been a year since i've had my tS and I figured i should give it a fresh wax. Should I use specific black paint wax? Specific black rim wax? Any steps other than the usual wash down before I wax it? Should I use a sealant before waxing? Any specific items for applying the wax?

Sorry if this is already a thread. I have never waxed a car before so I really have no idea what i'm doing with this.

Thanks in advance :)

soundman98 07-16-2019 11:02 PM

i suggest locating a local automotive detailer. or watch a lot of how-to video's on autogeek, or any of the other dozens of youtube channels. car detailing can be a fun way to make your car pretty and is a nice hobby.

generally, the process that i take is:

wash, dry(just like normal), clay bar(to remove contaminants, and level the paint surface), then generally a polish(to remove swirls and scratches), then the wax.

there's a trillion different products, techniques and extra processes, but this is the methods i use because it's the fewest steps with the best results.

the most important thing to remember is that unlike other products, cost of the product does not equate to how nice it is, or how long it will last. the $20 carnuba wax at autozone is going to last just as long as the $300 specialty carnuba wax that smells better from autogeek.

different waxes have different components that can help highlight specific colors, or in your case, help black paint hide blemishes longer. what you're paying for is the specific package of components. some use oddball expensive stuff, some use common stuff.

i generally use wolfgang products for no particular reason other than i like them. my coworker uses a lot of chemical guy's. i don't feel my selection is any better than his, it's all just a preference.

Mr.ac 07-17-2019 01:32 AM

If you don't know YouTube it.
Simple as that.

It is a physical labor job. If you don't like that kind of work pay someone to do it. FYI it's not cheap.

JIM THEO 07-17-2019 02:37 AM

I choose Gtechniq Crystal Serum + EXO cause it's the only ceramic coating that lasts 3-5 years if applied by yourself or 7-10 years if applied by a professional, it's cost is reasonable and quite easy to work with!

Windycitystig 07-17-2019 11:34 AM

Watch the Junkman YouTube videos. It’s more about technique and process than products.

MJones_RB 07-17-2019 02:14 PM

http://i66.tinypic.com/2niceo3.gif

DandoX 07-17-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zac8 (Post 3237770)
Any opinions or methods are welcome. its been a year since i've had my tS and I figured i should give it a fresh wax. Should I use specific black paint wax? Specific black rim wax? Any steps other than the usual wash down before I wax it? Should I use a sealant before waxing? Any specific items for applying the wax?

Sorry if this is already a thread. I have never waxed a car before so I really have no idea what i'm doing with this.

Thanks in advance :)


I've been using McGuire's quick spray wax, and my '13 looks great still. I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs. Whats great about this stuff is it is easy to apply: spray rub in, then rub it around with a dry cloth and your golden with a great coat of wax. Also gives my asphalt color an amazing shine and works great with black as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G175...gateway&sr=8-9
^trust me this stuff is super easy, you can do the whole car in 30 mins and the wax will feel as good if not better than it was when brand new at the dealer.


also to mention

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4NC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

^This isn't just wax but it offers a pretty solid protection and finish but you gotta do it once every week or two.


*Edit: you want to wash and dry the car before waxing, the waxing process takes less than 30 mins, but you get a thick layer comparable to expensive wax jobs.

wolffbite 07-17-2019 06:16 PM

This topic is always a can of worms... good luck!

Here is what I personally use on my DGM paint:
(1) Coat of Jescar Powerlock Plus paint sealant
(2) Coats of Collinite 845 insulator wax
Top coat of P&S beadmaker after every wash.

Yes I am a fan of Obsessed garage lol... It might be overkill but I love the results and it has been an excellent combo for me. Collinite would work well by itself as a single coat and one bottle should last you many years. It is also very easy to apply and remove with lots of examples on youtube.

Youtube is a great resource for how-to's but keep in mind that many of the larger channels around detailing will be pushing their own product lines, so their opinions will usually be biased towards trying to get you to buy their stuff or products they shill from their sponsors. One that immediately comes to mind is chemical guys... I use their VRP for my tires and plastics but that's about it. They are probably the most obnoxious about pushing their premium priced but average performing products.

Here are my results from an intensive detail I posted back in March after owning the car for about 2 years (~40,000KM):

Full wash with high pH soap (2 bucket method on paint, 1 separate bucket for wheels)
Claybar
Iron-X decontamination
1-step polishing
1 Coat Jescar Powerlock+
2 Coats Collinite 845 wax
CarPro Flyby Forte to windshield
Full interior clean/detail
Switch back to summer wheels/tires

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=11698
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=11697
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/pict...ictureid=11699

Was it really worth all of that effort and 25+ hours of work? To me absolutely yes... but most people think that is crazy. Without going to this extreme, after proper preparation a single coat of wax can be applied in about 30 minutes and should work just fine for the average person.

soundman98 07-17-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3237992)
I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs.

ironically, i usually get comments about how clean it is only after i haven't washed it for weeks and driven through rain storms.

soundman98 07-17-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3238078)
Youtube is a great resource for how-to's but keep in mind that many of the larger channels around detailing will be pushing their own product lines, so their opinions will usually be biased towards trying to get you to buy their stuff or products they shill from their sponsors. One that immediately comes to mind is chemical guys... I use their VRP for my tires and plastics but that's about it. They are probably the most obnoxious about pushing their premium priced but average performing products.

exactly the point i was trying to make, but you made it better ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3238078)
Was it really worth all of that effort and 25+ hours of work? To me absolutely yes... but most people think that is crazy.

whew! that makes my full week, 4hrs/day detail job sound less crazy!

humfrz 07-18-2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones_RB (Post 3237978)

:slap: now, THAT is just waaaaaaay too simple - :D


humfrz

humfrz 07-18-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3238078)
This topic is always a can of worms... good luck!

I see a smudge on your garage floor - I think you should get on that - :eyebulge:

(nice shine on your car - :thumbsup:)


humfrz

Decep 07-18-2019 12:24 AM

sealant/wax is basically the same, though wax GENERALLY implies carnauba (natural) and sealant implies synthetic. but this isn't consistent across marketeers. so no, you dont apply a sealant and then a wax

I dont see a reason to use carnauba based wax these days but some still swear by them. For a daily driver just use a simple, easy to apply synthetic sealant like Meguiars Ultimate. It lasts half a year and shines up as good as anything else.

black paint doesn't require special wax or anything, but buy some NICE soft microfiber towels so you don't add swirls and mar your paint. dont cheap out on this step. also use the "2 bucket" system to minimize rubbing dirt into the paint when washing.

Decep 07-18-2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3237992)
I've been using McGuire's quick spray wax, and my '13 looks great still. I've had guys who have the current year twin remake how my car looks newer than theirs. Whats great about this stuff is it is easy to apply: spray rub in, then rub it around with a dry cloth and your golden with a great coat of wax. Also gives my asphalt color an amazing shine and works great with black as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G175...gateway&sr=8-9
^trust me this stuff is super easy, you can do the whole car in 30 mins and the wax will feel as good if not better than it was when brand new at the dealer.


also to mention

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4NC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

^This isn't just wax but it offers a pretty solid protection and finish but you gotta do it once every week or two.


*Edit: you want to wash and dry the car before waxing, the waxing process takes less than 30 mins, but you get a thick layer comparable to expensive wax jobs.

that quick spray wax is freakin awesome. it lasts for months. great to use in between "real" waxing.

wolffbite 07-18-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3238158)
I see a smudge on your garage floor - I think you should get on that - :eyebulge:

(nice shine on your car - :thumbsup:)


humfrz

Thanks!

It is my parent's garage... I'll blame any lack of cleaning of my dad :D

Tcoat 07-18-2019 02:02 PM

Black?


I have found that with black cars the easiest way is to take it in and have it painted some easy to maintain colour such as orange or yellow.

humfrz 07-18-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolffbite (Post 3238356)
Thanks!

It is my parent's garage... I'll blame any lack of cleaning of my dad :D

OK, well, that somewhat explains why you spend 25+ hours "waxing" your car.

In the words of my mother-in-law, who raised nine kids "It may be your parents fault for why you are that way, but it is your fault if you stay that way".

:D


humfrz

RToyo86 07-27-2019 12:10 PM

I would suggest a decontamination wash.

- Wash the car with a paint safe all purpose cleaner, No dish soap here. It will help remove as much wax off the paint before you go to the next step.(a lot of soaps have waxes in them)

- A chemical decontamination. Not required but it will make claying the car faster. Car pro iron-x is what I use. It smells horrible but works great. Apply, let sit and aggetate then rinse off thoroughly.

- Clay bar. Mother's clay bar 2.0 is good stuff. You can drop it, rinse and reuse unlike normal clay which is garbage if it touches the ground.


At that point pick your wax/sealant/ceramic and have at er'
Optimum gloss coat is probably one of the better DIY ceramic coatings out there. It should last around 2 years. As far as paint correction I have some experience. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my current setup for cleaning and protection.
I use a bunch of Optimum products. They're easy to use, save you time and works great when you pair their products together.

I tried a couple different combos for protection;
- Opti-seal
- Optimum spray wax as a topper

Currently I just use;
- Opti-coat hyper-seal
- Opti-coat no rinse for soap which has glossifiers in the formula.


The spray wax has a satisfying feeling like you're actually applying some wax to the paint. Both sealants takes minutes to apply to the entire car. Wipe on and it bonds without any buffing off. 8oz if opti-seal should last 50-60 cars. I'll never wax again.
This stuff is great since it's a pure sealant with no fillers, so you can also use it in interior panels and glass.

hyper-seal which is an advanced formula with Sio2 mixed in. Paint feels slick and junk doesn't stick to the paint. I use it as a dry aid, every few washes. This stuff lasts up to 6 months on one application.


Photo of the car 1 year 35,000km and a winter later.
This was after a clay bar, and first application of hyper-seal.
https://i.imgur.com/aVWo6uo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BJCfef3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BeNHiQe.jpg

86geek 07-28-2019 06:39 PM

Get your car ceramic coated with Opticoat or Cquartz and call it a day.

eastendraceshop 08-08-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3237992)
I've been using McGuire's quick spray wax, and my '13 looks great still.

+1

Meguairs "Ultimate Quik Wax" has worked well for me! They also have a "Gold Class Quik Wax" that is made specifically for black cars. 83k miles and 4 years later and below is what the paint looks like. I usually apply it after every wash, and wash weekly!

-Sam

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=5DDC9DAA


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.