![]() |
Knocking noise !
My car has a knocking noise around 3K RPM. Does anyone what kind of problem this knocking noise is? I’m thinking maybe injector problem.
https://youtu.be/JDvFN2OHlI0 https://youtube.com/watch?feature=yo...&v=JDvFN2OHlI0 |
Maybe i'm wrong and can't hear well from my phone, but seems normal valve train noise to me
|
Sounds like shit just like all of them. Did you just get this car?
|
Yep, that's totally normal for this motor. Porsches sound clattery as hell on startup/idle too. It's common for flat engines and boxer motors to sound rough.
|
I don't hear anything abnormal and I'm at home listening on headphones. Certainly there's no knock, maybe just the tick of the injectors.
|
I'm not hearing anything abnormal as well.
|
I do hear the strange resonance that I hear in other knock videos but not the actual knocking.
|
Thanks for all the replies . Here is little background of my ownership experience. I own this car since 2013, had experienced rod bearing failure few months ago, Toyota dealer replaced the short block under warranty. The car was driving very smooth after new short block for awhile, then I realized chattering sound in idle and small knocking sound at 3K RPM after I did the valve spring recall . I always thinking small chattering noise is normal for all these years until I had a rod bearing failure.
|
How many miles has it been driven since the valve spring recall?
|
Quote:
I got my early 2013 used at 83k miles and was really paranoid about the way it resonates just before 3k. To me it sounds like early stages of rod knock. I eventually took it to a dealer and they said it sounded normal (I suspect they would have said that regardless) so then I went to a salesman and asked if we could crank up a brand new one. This one seemed to resonate right before 3k too but not as bad. So about 6 months into ownership I finally accepted that these engines just sound like shit and nothing is going wrong and then boom I spin the #3 rod bearing. I replace the short block and was expecting it to sound better. Nope, still sounds like shit. Still sounds like it wants to spin a rod bearing. I’ve got about 11k miles since the rebuild with no issues. I’m starting to think the resonation is in the transmission like a bearing starting to go. I’ve already replaced the TOB with the new version. The resonation seems to change slightly (gets worse) with a little pressure on the clutch. Do you have a manual? |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=-BSAMj1NGWM
I updated another video , you can clearly hear there’s tapping noise. Is it bearing failure ? |
Quote:
Whether the sound you are hearing is a precursor to a rod knock or a chatty valve lifter or a loud HPFP or just the sound like an old Yugoslavian diesel tractor, there isn't much you can do about it unless you tear apart the engine. I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer, have a tech take another listen and note his/her comments. If they say it "normal", just drive the machine. humfrz |
I just listened to it with headphones and to my hear something doesn't sound right. Is this with a cold start up? You might want to take a video outside to remove that echo from where your parked.
There is some rattling that shouldn't be there to my ear. The ideal video for sound would be for someone else to hold the phone recording over the engine with the hood up and engine warm, then rev it up like you did. This will allow us to hear if anything is actually sounding strange because the echo makes it hard to hear. |
Sounds normal to me. These engines make a lot of chatter
|
Quote:
This is for sure NOT rod knock. Sounds like typical valve train chatter to me. When you stick an iPhone mic right into the engine bay it’s going to sound really dramatic. I can grab a recording of mine for a 1:1 comparison. |
but that does sound a bit louder than usual..
does it get worse rising the rpm? |
Quote:
|
Sounds totally normal to me.
I spent the first 3000 miles on my new car freaking out about every rattle, buzz, resonance, clatter. 8500 miles in the cacophony has all blended together. I even took it into the dealership because I was so concerned, they told me it was the fuel pump(??) but it was otherwise normal. I'm no more certain what the result of the sound is but either valve clatter or direct injectors appears to be the general forum consensus. For me the exact clatter kicks in a few minutes after starting up the car. Prior to then it hums pretty quietly. |
Quote:
|
AVCS really takes so few to activate, even if it s cold
it only takes long the first and second crank after a reflash or reset even with -2 Celsius my car activates avcs in less than 8 seconds, if it s not reflashed short time before what it activates lately and probably what OwlDance hear is just the 100% DI after the initial 50/50 and 100% PI |
Every new used twin owner should read this thread. My new to me 2017 PP sounds just like OP. Lifter tick(ish) at idle and "rod knock" at 3000 rpm +. Was paranoid as hell until finding this thread. Seems I just need louder exhaust.
|
@snk828 I can definitely hear it faintly when you hold it at 2.5k rpm.
Check throwout bearing. IMO there should be a general "throwout bearing rattling while hot" thread, I've probably read 10 of these threads in the last week. Here's what mine sounded like before putting a new one in last week: https://streamable.com/0ka17 |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.