Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   replacing the crank pulley on automatic (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129192)

mrg666 07-24-2018 07:34 PM

replacing the crank pulley on automatic
 
I will be replacing my crank pulley with fluidampr in a couple of days. My FRS is an AT and I read that I will do the replacement with transmission in Drive position. Do I need to do this Neutral instead? I bought the Company 23 crank pulley tool

humfrz 07-24-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 3113974)
I will be replacing my crank pulley with fluidampr in a couple of days. My FRS is an AT and I read that I will do the replacement with transmission in Drive position. Do I need to do this Neutral instead? I bought the Company 23 crank pulley tool

I don't see where it would make any difference. - :iono:


humfrz

new2subaru 07-24-2018 09:31 PM

I made a tool much the same as in the pic but cruder.

I left it in park, inserted the tool at an angle towards the floor. Then I stack wood bits under the handle until it was wedged good and tight. I then got out the breaker bar, pipe extension and gave it a quick jerk to break it free.
Rinse and repeat to install it and torqued it to spec.

Then I reversed the procedure a few K later cause I bought garbage pulleys. Live and learn. :bonk:

sid94 07-24-2018 09:50 PM

If you got the tool you should be fine in any gear


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86TOYO2k17 07-24-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 3113974)
I will be replacing my crank pulley with fluidampr in a couple of days. My FRS is an AT and I read that I will do the replacement with transmission in Drive position. Do I need to do this Neutral instead? I bought the Company 23 crank pulley tool

I’m about to do the same fluidampr in my AT. I got a slightly diff tool but I think used the same. Anyways not sure but I read there is like a clip or someway to lock in the crank from moving to get pulley off. Not sure exactly. Should do a quick write up for me after you finish :cheers:

mrg666 07-25-2018 03:50 AM

Okay, thanks for the feedback so far. My main concern is avoiding damaging transmission or engine. I will let you know.

Lantanafrs2 07-25-2018 06:43 AM

Put the breaker bar against the ground and flick the key. Just make sure you have it the right way.

ermax 07-25-2018 09:49 AM

I'm spoiled with a MT so I simply throw it in 6th with the ebrake. No tool needed. :)

Not sure you've read the torque specs for putting it back on but it's 15ft-lbs and then an additional 90deg. Make sure you oil the threads and head/washer before torquing it. You will also notice the bolt has hash marks every 90 which is handy.

ermax 07-25-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3114142)
Put the breaker bar against the ground and flick the key. Just make sure you have it the right way.

I've used this method and it works well but I never suggest it to others due to the part I bolded. It's too easy for someone to not place the breaker in the right position and have it swing around smashing into crap.

ermax 07-25-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 3114135)
Okay, thanks for the feedback so far. My main concern is avoiding damaging transmission or engine. I will let you know.

Think about it this way. The car has 200hp and doesn't harm the tranny. No way will you be able to harm it with your arms and a breaker. Throw it in neutral with the brake set if you're really concerned. This will also allow you to freely rotate the pulley to whatever position works best for your tool.

Trueweltall 07-25-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3114179)
I'm spoiled with a MT so I simply throw it in 6th with the ebrake. No tool needed. :)

I had to buy a tool, I couldn't get it to "break" the bolt since the car was moving several inches when I would try to apply torque to the bolt. Now I own a Company23 crank pulley tool I only used once. :bellyroll:

ermax 07-25-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trueweltall (Post 3114193)
I had to buy a tool, I couldn't get it to "break" the bolt since the car was moving several inches when I would try to apply torque to the bolt. Now I own a Company23 crank pulley tool I only used once. :bellyroll:

The key is 6th gear.. not just any gear. The other trick is to put the breaker on the bolt with the handle as far to the right side of the engine bay as possible. Then put the car in 6th with the break off and then roll the car forward. This will plant the breaker all the way to the right and take up some of the slack. Now pull the brake. When you pull the bar it will only move about 10deg before all the drivetrain slack (mounts, gears and clutch disk springs) is taken up leaving plenty of room to break the bolt loose.

The biggest key though is 6th gear. It takes way too much movement of the crank to take up all the slack when in lower gears.

mrg666 08-12-2018 03:41 PM

I have been driving with the Fluidampr since several days. The engine is running smoother at every rpm, even at idle. There is definitely less vibraton when engine revving up to 6-7k rpm. Very happy with the result.

AT definitely needs a tool to hold the pulley. I bought Company 23 pulley tool with FA20DIT Intake/Exhaust pin kit. The OEM pulley has large holes and the crank pulley pin kit works when removing the stock but these do not fit in the small holes on Fluidampr for holding it during installation of the new pulley. That is why Intake/Exhaust pin kit is necessary. It was a very easy installation with two important things to consider.

After the bolt is out, wiggle out the stock pulley very gently to make sure oil pump cover and the thin black o ring are left in place. If those are displaced, place them back very precisely. Once the stock pulley is out, apply oil to bolt head and thread, insert the new pulley after aligning the pin on the pump cover with the hole on pulley. Make sure the new pulley is sitting flush and secure, insert and tighten the bolt to 94 lb-ft torque. Install the belt again. Done!

Ultramaroon 08-12-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3114180)
I've used this method and it works well but I never suggest it to others due to the part I bolded. It's too easy for someone to not place the breaker in the right position and have it swing around smashing into crap.

If one is dumb enough to try it without thinking about it then one will eventually do something else that is equally stupid. Might as well get the lesson over with quickly. :D

mrg666 08-12-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3120768)
If one is dumb enough to try it without thinking about it then one will eventually do something else that is equally stupid. Might as well get the lesson over with quickly. :D

Well, tool is still needed to tighten the bolt to specified torque with AT. It took less than 30 seconds to loosen the bolt using the crank pulley tool.

Everybody, don't use the starter method, especially if you have the push button! :bonk:

Ultramaroon 08-12-2018 06:15 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1H79J7Y2WL.jpg

humfrz 08-12-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3120768)
If one is dumb enough to try it without thinking about it then one will eventually do something else that is equally stupid. Might as well get the lesson over with quickly. :D

:lol:


Ultramaroon has spoke the truth - :thumbsup:



humfrz

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-12-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3120781)

:lol: If someone were to try that I'd tell them to buy a power probe, it has more uses than just engaging starters.

Lantanafrs2 08-12-2018 08:23 PM

It took me one flick of the key to get the pulley screw loosened. I did it to install a lightweight pulley which was a mistake btw.

mrg666 08-12-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3120815)
It took me one flick of the key to get the pulley screw loosened. I did it to install a lightweight pulley which was a mistake btw.

Mistake? In installation or in the pulley itself?

Ultramaroon 08-12-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3120792)
:lol: If someone were to try that I'd tell them to buy a power probe, it has more uses than just engaging starters.

Well, mine's 30 years old. I have multimeters older than that. :thumbsup:


https://i.imgur.com/Mkxf9sRl.jpg

churchx 08-12-2018 11:11 PM

I wonder if other tools cannot be reused for that :)
https://www.scienceabc.com/wp-conten...elete-meme.jpg

Lantanafrs2 08-13-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 3120823)
Mistake? In installation or in the pulley itself?

It was a mistake to replace the stock pulley imo.

nikitopo 08-13-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3120957)
It was a mistake to replace the stock pulley imo.

Why? Did you have any issue?

Lantanafrs2 08-13-2018 03:31 PM

According to Toyota it contributed to a failed crank bearing but they still warranteed it. Who knows? Either way I'm done with pulleys.

mrg666 08-13-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3121068)
According to Toyota it contributed to a failed crank bearing but they still warranteed it. Who knows? Either way I'm done with pulleys.

That is extremely nice of them.

nikitopo 08-13-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3121068)
According to Toyota it contributed to a failed crank bearing but they still warranteed it. Who knows? Either way I'm done with pulleys.

I saw that you were using ofh and e85? In general, for high load applications such as superchargers or e85 it might be better to use the original pulley set or the fluidampr. An alternative is to use new strengthened connecting rod bearings, but this can be done only if someone builds the engine.

humfrz 08-13-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikitopo (Post 3121082)
I saw that you were using ofh and e85? In general, for high load applications such as superchargers or e85 it might be better to use the original pulley set or the fluidampr. An alternative is to use new strengthened connecting rod bearings, but this can be done only if someone builds the engine.

:popcorn:

nikitopo 08-13-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3121091)
:popcorn:

There were some owners in Japan having issues even with the stock crank pulley, but they had turbo or supercharged cars. It looks to exist a correlation with high load applications. In such cases they even suggest to use the Fluidampr pulley. I had mentioned it before.

mrg666 08-13-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3121091)
:popcorn:

I will go drive with my smooth engine instead of getting into another light-pulley fight here. Everybody does whatever they want to their cars. Don't eat too much popcorn before dinner!

nikitopo 08-13-2018 04:59 PM

Fight on what? Get a bit serious ... No-one said you did anything wrong.


And by the way, here is the old post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=24

Lantanafrs2 08-13-2018 05:51 PM

I was on 93 with header and tune when the motor failed. Spit a rocker at first. Rest of motor was inspected and bearing problem discovered. Toyota was fantastic! I doubt bearings are insufficient for e85 use. Not that much of a load increase.

Lantanafrs2 08-13-2018 05:57 PM

Toyota did me a solid. If it were another brand I'd be fucked.

Lantanafrs2 08-13-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikitopo (Post 3121096)
There were some owners in Japan having issues even with the stock crank pulley, but they had turbo or supercharged cars. It looks to exist a correlation with high load applications. In such cases they even suggest to use the Fluidampr pulley. I had mentioned it before.

Reverse the vacuum on these motors (f.i.) and all bets are off.

mrg666 08-13-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3121134)
Reverse the vacuum on these motors (f.i.) and all bets are off.

Do you know Edelbrock has powertrain warranty and there is not anybody that I know claimed warranty yet. Jackson Racing tracked their cars several seasons already (they won the championship actually two years ago)? There are proper ways of going FI and there are other ways.

ermax 08-14-2018 06:20 AM

Load on bearings doesn’t increase when power output increases. Load on bearings increases when starved of oil. Bearings are only there to create the perfect clearance for the oil to create a “bearing”. As long as the oil temps are in range and pressure is good then the bearings never make contact. But throw in a bunch of vibration from something being out of balance and you will potentially wear bearings. I personally would rather stick to a dampened pulley and go with a flywheel to reduce rotating mass. There is more to be had in the flywheel anyways.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.