Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   rear seats removal (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126667)

stlgrym3 04-04-2018 07:40 PM

rear seats removal
 
has anyone removed the rear seats to save weight? is it simple to do?

norcalpb 04-04-2018 07:43 PM

Very simple. Take out the seat bottoms by taking out the bolts holding them, and pull down and away to take them out.

The seat backs have a bolt behind its fabric cover in the trunk I believe. Remove the bolts from the 2 folding latches and it’ll come right off

stlgrym3 04-04-2018 07:50 PM

how much weight that'll save? is it worth the trouble?

re-animator 04-04-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgrym3 (Post 3068120)
how much weight that'll save? is it worth the trouble?

keep in mind its also considerably louder if you have a loud exhaust

Spuds 04-04-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgrym3 (Post 3068120)
how much weight that'll save? is it worth the trouble?

~30lb if you remove everything. Brackets, seatbelts, the works. There's a weight saving thread somewhere on here...

Also, it is significantly louder in the cabin afterwards. And remember to reinstall all bolts.

new2subaru 04-04-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3068127)
~30lb if you remove everything. Brackets, seatbelts, the works. There's a weight saving thread somewhere on here...

Also, it is significantly louder in the cabin afterwards. And remember to reinstall all bolts.

Significant is an understatement... I removed the entire rear and the noise was fairly extreme. It was hard to have a conversation. I'm a bit hard of hearing though. All the power to those that can handle it. It is kinda cool. :D

I put mine back in. I removed it for the experience and would have left it out if it was tolerable, for me.

ETA; Here's a good thread to help you along

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511

stlgrym3 04-04-2018 09:00 PM

glad i asked, i can't handle the extra noise either, oh well, that's that.

Spuds 04-04-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2subaru (Post 3068131)
Significant is an understatement... I removed the entire rear and the noise was fairly extreme. It was hard to have a conversation. I'm a bit hard of hearing though. All the power to those that can handle it. It is kinda cool. :D

I put mine back in. I removed it for the experience and would have left it out if it was tolerable, for me.

ETA; Here's a good thread to help you along

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53511

It's actually not too bad if you put the seat cushions back in using the front bolt only (+7lb). I also found it helps if you tape the side cards down.

Working on a more permanent, lighter solution that I think is kinda cool. Hopefully it helps with the road noise.

new2subaru 04-04-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuds (Post 3068149)
It's actually not too bad if you put the seat cushions back in using the front bolt only (+7lb). I also found it helps if you tape the side cards down.

Working on a more permanent, lighter solution that I think is kinda cool. Hopefully it helps with the road noise.

I can see that. There's not much between you and the road with the rear seats removed. I was just doing some testing to see if I could handle a stripped out car.

Sapphireho 04-04-2018 11:18 PM

I purchased the Shrader Performance rear seat delete when my car was 1 day old. Best mod.

j3rf 04-04-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3068199)
I purchased the Shrader Performance rear seat delete when my car was 1 day old. Best mod.

I looked at that quite a few times, but not sure I like how it looks much.

why? 04-05-2018 06:19 AM

even something as simple as a piece of cardboard over the seat opening helps to quiet the interior. I don't think it is too bad, I can still hold a conversation over bluetooth, the person on the other side just hears some extra noise.

Also the bolts holding the seatbelts on are a pain.

guybo 04-05-2018 09:40 AM

I gutted everything (except spare and cardboard floor) from the front seats back. I am not positive about weight savings, I did not do before and after but it had to be 50 lbs. There's a thread on here that details how much everything weighs. If I take out my spare and cardboard floor (bearing in mind I have modified a lot of stuff- some heavier, some lighter) my car weighs in around 2700 lbs.

Noise? Hell yeah LOL. The rain is louder, tire and road noise louder and every rock that hits the undercarriage sounds like I ran over an IED. Oh well.

Sapphireho 04-05-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3rf (Post 3068202)
I looked at that quite a few times, but not sure I like how it looks much.

I love the look, looks like it came that way.

j3rf 04-07-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3068310)
I love the look, looks like it came that way.

I do like how it looks without the seats, but I think the delete could look better. Some day I'd like to get around to making my own in my own vision.

Sapphireho 04-07-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3rf (Post 3069178)
I do like how it looks without the seats, but I think the delete could look better. Some day I'd like to get around to making my own in my own vision.

Several guys have on this board.

Spuds 04-07-2018 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, since we are on that topic... Here's my work in progress. Making this is hours and hours of fun, and I think I'm about $150+ in at this point. Same thing can be done for less than $100 if you are careful.

Edit:. By 'at this point' I mean I have pretty much everything I need to finish, just not done yet.

SuperTom 04-07-2018 10:26 AM

Here's My writeup for an inexpensive version. Pillow in place of the seat bottoms will drown out the sound without adding much weight.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=121565&page=2


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.