Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Built Turbo K24 Swap? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125252)

Calmwhiteguy 02-09-2018 03:46 AM

Built Turbo K24 Swap?
 
Hey folks
I'm ready for a lot more power and I've been looking at a lot of articles and a lot of discussions on FA20 FI and engine swaps.

I have opinions about the 1, 1.5, and 2j platforms as well as LSomethings however one of my performance gurus recommended an engine I haven't really thought much of which is a k24.

The reason he mentioned this engine is because stock engine and turbo can get me a reliable and consistant 400+WHP. If I splurge the extra $4,500 we could dump in a total engine rebuild and aim closer to 800+ WHP. This seems like the most affordable and long term durable option from the research I've done (I've never owned a honda or payed really any attention to what they put in their cars).

The reason why I like the idea is
A) Reliable (as much as 450+WHP can be)
B) "Economical"
C) Very close to FA20 weight
D) Unique

I couldn't really find much of ANYTHING about built k24's going into the ft86 chassis does anyone have any opinions about such a venture? I've seen a youtube series that was last updated on wiring a year ago and someone below posted their white 86 with a k series swap but not a ton of seriously useful info aside from k swap the world
Or am I really that crazy for considering something except a giant v8 power plant or JDM 2jz?

EAGLE5 02-09-2018 05:45 AM

I suggest lighting a bunch of money on fire.

Summerwolf 02-09-2018 06:37 AM

An ls will get you more power for less money and be more reliable for the same amount of work.

Sportsguy83 02-09-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3041385)

I couldn't really find much of ANYTHING about built k24's going into the ft86 chassis does anyone have any opinions about such a venture? I've seen a youtube series that was last updated on wiring a year ago and someone below posted their white 86 with a k series swap but not a ton of seriously useful info aside from k swap the world
Or am I really that crazy for considering something except a giant v8 power plant or JDM 2jz?


The cost of swapping an engine (any engine) into an 86 is just about the same. The only part where the cost changes is, how much money you spend on the motor/trans. and what ECU solution you use. This is the reason why an LS is almost always the answer for "cheapest" of all swaps. Plenty of aftermarket support, you can still go to any GM dealer and find any part needed and it's a simple motor to upgrade and work with while giving you a start at 300-400+ HP. Prime Motoring is doing a K24 swap in their 86.

The main thing to keep in mind on this swap right now is that there is no CANBUS translation on it for an 86 swap. That means right now there is no system that will support working your AC, ABS, traction control, power steering, among others. Now, Pure Automotive is doing a F20 (S2K motor) swap and they would provide a CANBUS solution for that swap which may or may not be similar to the coding needed for the K24 swap.

Edit: Pure is providing a K24 CANBUS solution (see below)

Pure Automotive 02-09-2018 09:31 AM

We have both F20C and K20/24 CAN solutions in process. Just need to test them out before they are released as we never sell anything that doesn't 100% work.

8RZ 02-09-2018 09:38 AM

I'd much rather dump that money into fully-building up the FA and boosting it.

Sportsguy83 02-09-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3041432)
I'd much rather dump that money into fully-building up the FA and boosting it.

A fully built FA20 may still throw an arm rocker through the valve cover, may still get a P0016/18 code whose fixing may require up to replacing the ECU (among other sensitive annoyances of the FA20), while also still needing to beef up the transmission, which cheapest is swapping a CD009 from a 350Z in place at a cost of around $4k.....


After adding up building the motor, turbo kit with all supporting mods, upgrading trans, you're already in swap money territory where you'll get a more reliable, proven and known motor and transmission that will hold strong for years to come.

Calmwhiteguy 02-09-2018 02:11 PM

Thats my concern. Im not engine biased and really couldnt care less about what is put in necessarily.
The FA20 and its transmission have proven to be pretty weak.
I have friends in the community who have gotten properly tuned well innstalled FI who yell at me saying the FA20 is reliable and to "do more research" but it always comes back that in my WHP goal range many FA20's have blown RIP.

At that point theyre giving me 6-8k for install and supporting mods no built motor. So what add 4k for a built motor and you just spent 12k on a FA20 capping out at 500~WHP on e85 everything maxed.
How is that worthwhile?
Spend 12,000-15,000 and suddenly I have a turbo k24 at 450WHP 92 octane... build the engine and swap the turbo forn something bigger down the road and from other builds I could be around 800-900WHP if I felt like it.

It seems like you would be crazy to build an fa20 like that.
These quotes are if I didnt to a shred of work myself. Obviously things get a lot cheaper if I do my own labor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Automotive (Post 3041429)
We have both F20C and K20/24 CAN solutions in process. Just need to test them out before they are released as we never sell anything that doesn't 100% work.

Do you guys have an ETA

EAGLE5 02-09-2018 03:56 PM

A custom engine install is like a custom anything. You're going to end up spending loads of time and money on troubleshooting, and things you expected to work will either not work or will work inconsistently. Don't blaze a new trail with an engine unless you know how to do the work yourself or the money just doesn't matter to you.

I'd personally like an EV FR-S. A Spark EV would make a great swap.

Irace86.2.0 02-09-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3041385)
Hey folks
I'm ready for a lot more power and I've been looking at a lot of articles and a lot of discussions on FA20 FI and engine swaps.

I have opinions about the 1, 1.5, and 2j platforms as well as LSomethings however one of my performance gurus recommended an engine I haven't really thought much of which is a k24.

The reason he mentioned this engine is because stock engine and turbo can get me a reliable and consistant 400+WHP. If I splurge the extra $4,500 we could dump in a total engine rebuild and aim closer to 800+ WHP. This seems like the most affordable and long term durable option from the research I've done (I've never owned a honda or payed really any attention to what they put in their cars).

The reason why I like the idea is
A) Reliable (as much as 450+WHP can be)
B) "Economical"
C) Very close to FA20 weight
D) Unique

I couldn't really find much of ANYTHING about built k24's going into the ft86 chassis does anyone have any opinions about such a venture? I've seen a youtube series that was last updated on wiring a year ago and someone below posted their white 86 with a k series swap but not a ton of seriously useful info aside from k swap the world
Or am I really that crazy for considering something except a giant v8 power plant or JDM 2jz?

This kinda depends on your goals. If you goals are to regularly autocross, track, drift or do any other high intensity racing with your car then a swap makes sense. If your goals are to have the power for often doing rolling races on the highway against the occasional Mustang or Vet then maybe all you need is a built FA20. If you want 450whp+ for spirited driving on the mountains or the occasional highway onramp pull or to beat that Mustang that revs on you that one time then it is your car, but 450whp+ is overkill.

If you want 800hp then I'm guessing you're more of the highway racer type. Honestly, do what you want; it is your car, but just know that a 460hp GT can be had new at $35k and the used models with 435hp can be had for under $25-30k. Here are some supercharged units that are like new for under $40k making 700+hp:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...478413497.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...487429323.html

Summerwolf 02-09-2018 05:15 PM

A 450 hp+ ls wouldn't cost anywhere near 12-15k and would weigh less than a boosted honda motor. It would also be infinitely more reliable.

Calmwhiteguy 02-10-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3041727)
A 450 hp+ ls wouldn't cost anywhere near 12-15k and would weigh less than a boosted honda motor. It would also be infinitely more reliable.

Yeah LS is still on the table it's just pretty heavy. Im still 50/50 on the k24 vs LS its just on paper if I didnt do any of the work (absolutely no time to do it and ive got a racing company who does a phenomenal job in Momroe WA) the K24 ends up being cheaper.
They've got a k24 s2000 with 1008whp as their drift car so they're got plenty experience with it.

Summerwolf 02-10-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3042049)
Yeah LS is still on the table it's just pretty heavy. Im still 50/50 on the k24 vs LS its just on paper if I didnt do any of the work (absolutely no time to do it and ive got a racing company who does a phenomenal job in Momroe WA) the K24 ends up being cheaper.
They've got a k24 s2000 with 1008whp as their drift car so they're got plenty experience with it.

Heavy? What is your source.

ST185RC 02-10-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3041385)

The reason why I like the idea is
A) Reliable (as much as 450+WHP can be)
B) "Economical"
C) Very close to FA20 weight
D) Unique


A) No
B) No
C) So?
D) see pic https://pics.me.me/just-because-your...l-19585701.png

People who have their 1000+ HP k24s in a Honda 2000 (I love F&F) have deep pockets. They literally show you the end result and not the failure or the sleepless nights or let you know the unsurmountable time of all the individuals puto together to get the car together for a few drift events.

From the post, it seems you think this is a quick and easy route. It's not. How much do you think a turbo strapped to a k24 would reasonably weigh? I'm thinking it's pretty damn near an ls1.

I don't think you appreciate the amount of resources that goes into making a Hondacura engine run 500 or so HP at the crank.

EAGLE5 02-10-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3041701)
This kinda depends on your goals. If you goals are to regularly autocross, track, drift or do any other high intensity racing with your car then a swap makes sense. If your goals are to have the power for often doing rolling races on the highway against the occasional Mustang or Vet then maybe all you need is a built FA20. If you want 450whp+ for spirited driving on the mountains or the occasional highway onramp pull or to beat that Mustang that revs on you that one time then it is your car, but 450whp+ is overkill.

If you want 800hp then I'm guessing you're more of the highway racer type. Honestly, do what you want; it is your car, but just know that a 460hp GT can be had new at $35k and the used models with 435hp can be had for under $25-30k. Here are some supercharged units that are like new for under $40k making 700+hp:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...478413497.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...487429323.html

Interesting that there are two Bay Area recent Mustangs for sale supercharged with such low miles.

Calmwhiteguy 02-10-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST185RC (Post 3042072)
A) No
B) No
C) So?
D) snowflake pic?

People who have their 1000+ HP k24s in a Honda 2000 (I love F&F) have deep pockets

I don't think you appreciate the amount of resources that goes into making a Hondacura engine run 500 or so HP at the crank.

Clearly I said I am willing to do an expensive swap and have quotes from multiple shops, part lists, designs for mounts for multiple engines, etc etc. Lets imagine money is no issue and go from there on why I shouldnt do a k24 swap. Because the only reason I can find from anyone about why is bias

There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO many high HP K swapped builds out there
It would just be unique to the 86 platform.

Again I still have LS clearly on the table.. I just see k24 as a very reasonable option and what you wrote doesnt give me any legitimate information to dissuade me at all

K24 weighs 30lbs more than fa20 with tranny and the GTX3076R gen 2 adds 30. Still a little lighter than an LS on paper

Summerwolf 02-10-2018 09:06 PM

Ls1 with m6 = 495 according to a detailed thread on ls1tech.

K series with trans = 403 off a thread on k20a.org

I doubt a full turbo kit is only 30 lbs. Point being, if money is no issue why wouldn't you swap to a motor that would be more reliable, torquier, easier to work on and simpler over all.

If being unique is the key there have already been honda swaps... if access to a tuner / shop that specializes in something is a big factor it sounds like you've already made your choice. Start a build thread and bust out that wallet.

Irace86.2.0 02-11-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3042073)
Interesting that there are two Bay Area recent Mustangs for sale supercharged with such low miles.

Im not surprised. Mustangs are everywhere. These guys probably bought the GT and threw on a SC then had their fun then decided to sell before needing to smog or they want the next toy.

EAGLE5 02-11-2018 01:40 PM

With price as no object, I'd still choose an LS for reliability, torque, drivability, and the fact that so many people have done them, most of the problems have been solved. I'd choose a K24 just to be different, but no other reason.

ST185RC 02-11-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3042183)
Clearly I said I am willing to do an expensive swap and have quotes from multiple shops, part lists, designs for mounts for multiple engines, etc etc. Lets imagine money is no issue and go from there on why I shouldnt do a k24 swap. Because the only reason I can find from anyone about why is bias

There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO many high HP K swapped builds out there
It would just be unique to the 86 platform.

Again I still have LS clearly on the table.. I just see k24 as a very reasonable option and what you wrote doesnt give me any legitimate information to dissuade me at all

K24 weighs 30lbs more than fa20 with tranny and the GTX3076R gen 2 adds 30. Still a little lighter than an LS on paper

Lol 30lbs? Maybe for the turbo itself. Did you forget the added intercooler, piping?

I'm skeptical about the quotes you got. But hey, your money.

Calmwhiteguy 02-12-2018 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST185RC (Post 3042416)
Lol 30lbs? Maybe for the turbo itself. Did you forget the added intercooler, piping?

I'm skeptical about the quotes you got. But hey, your money.

The turbo itself weighs 30.

I like the thoughts and input no doubt. It's interesting to see that the 86club forums are very LS heavy. I never doubted it being a phenominal engine and very popular as of late for swapping - I'm just curious about why the K24 is an extremely popular engine as being cheaper, very light, still has high torque and HP possibilities (for a lot cheaper than a 2j), and is reportedly very reliable.

I'll keep it all in mind.

Pure Automotive 02-12-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwhiteguy (Post 3041618)


Do you guys have an ETA

4-6 weeks. We test stuff multiple times before we try to release it to the public and we have another test car coming in very soon hopefully.

86Tony 02-12-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Automotive (Post 3042758)
4-6 weeks. We test stuff multiple times before we try to release it to the public and we have another test car coming in very soon hopefully.

Hella good news cant wait!!!!

EAGLE5 02-12-2018 02:55 PM

The best laid plans of mice and men.

Jaden 02-12-2018 03:10 PM

the best...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3042958)
The best laid plans of mice and men.

The best laid posts of douche and troll...

Jaden

EAGLE5 02-12-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 3042964)
The best laid posts of douche and troll...

Jaden

Love you too, man.

DIY 02-12-2018 10:13 PM

I'm probably going to put a k24 in mine, runner up choice is a Jap spec ej207 but the K24 will cost a lot less.

Sportsguy83 02-13-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 3043246)
I'm probably going to put a k24 in mine, runner up choice is a Jap spec ej207 but the K24 will cost a lot less.

One of the main reasons to swap the FA20 is for a more reliable/can take more power reliably engine. Scratch the EJ out of the choices :thumbsup:

toast 02-13-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 3043372)
One of the main reasons to swap the FA20 is for a more reliable/can take more power reliably engine. Scratch the EJ out of the choices :thumbsup:

The ej207 is the good one, not the glass ringland BS we get here.

Sportsguy83 02-13-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toast (Post 3043432)
The ej207 is the good one, not the glass ringland BS we get here.

I've read some good and some not so good on it, but definitely better than what we get here. :w00t:

DIY 02-13-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 3043372)
One of the main reasons to swap the FA20 is for a more reliable/can take more power reliably engine. Scratch the EJ out of the choices :thumbsup:

The 2.0L Jap spec EJ207 is the best motor Subaru has ever made IMO.

Sportsguy83 02-13-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIY (Post 3043654)
The 2.0L Jap spec EJ207 is the best motor Subaru has ever made IMO.



I don’t doubt it, but it’s still a Subaru motor ...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.