Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Fuel Lines: OEM Hard lines into LS fuel rail (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125121)

Sportsguy83 02-02-2018 09:32 PM

Fuel Lines: OEM Hard lines into LS fuel rail
 
I was going to mimic what most have done and reuse the stock quick connect lines, into a Y and that into the LS fuel rail. The problem is I had to sell one of my stock quick disconnect fuel lines with the flex fuel kit (long story short, I had one of the very first FF kits before nice AN hard lines were a thing).

Anyone that has made something other than using the quick disconnect lines can share their ideas?

What is the size of the stock hard lines?

What is the size of the LS rail line?

What type of fitting should I use on the stock hard lines?

I picture in my mind using some type of line on the stock hard lines going into an AN6 female, this into a 6AN Y and form the Y, AN female into whatever the size of the LS fuel rail quick disconnect is....

Not going for the most expensive/ prettiest setup, but also going for something proven to work, not the cheapest either....

Sportsguy83 02-03-2018 08:09 PM

No one?

wutsaiu 02-05-2018 08:05 AM

Rubber fuel injection hose from hard lines.
I used 5/16" hoses to -6AN and then into -6AN Y

5/16" to -6AN
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220769n

-6AN Y
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220107b

spitfire481 02-05-2018 08:55 AM

I used these on my old VW hardline to convert to AN. Never had an issue and it was like that for years. it bites hard into the hardline and sealed perfect, I took it apart when I parted the car out.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...AaAlBIEALw_wcB

Sportsguy83 02-05-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfire481 (Post 3039297)
I used these on my old VW hardline to convert to AN. Never had an issue and it was like that for years. it bites hard into the hardline and sealed perfect, I took it apart when I parted the car out.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...AaAlBIEALw_wcB

Thank you!

wrxdriver2002 02-05-2018 10:07 PM

I used a combination of the fittings on this page:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1347_1429_1435

And these fittings, where I couldn’t use quick disconnects:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2736

I also repurposed the vent hard line for a return line and the other two hard lines as fuel feeds. From the dual Waldron 460’s in the radium hanger, it goes from 8an into two 6an via an aeromotive Y, Then each into hardline as a 6an. Each hardline feeds one fuel rail directly.

Sportsguy83 02-06-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxdriver2002 (Post 3039693)
I used a combination of the fittings on this page:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1347_1429_1435

And these fittings, where I couldn’t use quick disconnects:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2736

I also repurposed the vent hard line for a return line and the other two hard lines as fuel feeds. From the dual Waldron 460’s in the radium hanger, it goes from 8an into two 6an via an aeromotive Y, Then each into hardline as a 6an. Each hardline feeds one fuel rail directly.

Thank you!

Ashikabi 07-21-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxdriver2002 (Post 3039693)
I used a combination of the fittings on this page:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1347_1429_1435

And these fittings, where I couldn’t use quick disconnects:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2736

I also repurposed the vent hard line for a return line and the other two hard lines as fuel feeds. From the dual Waldron 460’s in the radium hanger, it goes from 8an into two 6an via an aeromotive Y, Then each into hardline as a 6an. Each hardline feeds one fuel rail directly.

I was curious about this exact thing. You're saying you used the port injector hardline for one fuel rail and the direct inject hardline for the other rail correct?

wrxdriver2002 07-21-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikabi (Post 3112970)
I was curious about this exact thing. You're saying you used the port injector hardline for one fuel rail and the direct inject hardline for the other rail correct?

Yes and I used the vent line for return

Out of the oem fuel pump hanger, they Go to a Y, so it was really easy to do this without hardly any modification.

Ashikabi 07-21-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxdriver2002 (Post 3112973)
Yes and I used the vent line for return

Out of the oem fuel pump hanger, they Go to a Y, so it was really easy to do this without hardly any modification.

I wasn't planning on using a return system so that won't be an issue for me. Did you just leave your evap canister open then?

Sportsguy83 10-08-2018 06:16 PM

For the fuel hard lines I ended up using: Russell Push-On EFI Fittings 644123 (click image)

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...l.jpg?rep=True

wooly35 10-08-2018 06:46 PM

I did away with the hard lines and ran two stainless steel braided lines for the fuel and the return. I tried reusing the stock hard lines and ended up having leaks.

Merc 03-15-2019 01:27 AM

Little off subject but I've got my fuel lines y'd into one and fuel pump controller bypassed. Tried draining the old fuel from the tank with the pump but it stopped after about 7 gallons. I had a just filled tank when the fa20 engine blew a year ago so that about half a tank. I know the tank has a bit of a saddle shape but it should have some system to get the fuel from the other side. Am I missing something?

Ashikabi 03-15-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 3196241)
Little off subject but I've got my fuel lines y'd into one and fuel pump controller bypassed. Tried draining the old fuel from the tank with the pump but it stopped after about 7 gallons. I had a just filled tank when the fa20 engine blew a year ago so that about half a tank. I know the tank has a bit of a saddle shape but it should have some system to get the fuel from the other side. Am I missing something?

There is a cross over pickup somewhere. I just read about it a few weeks ago. Hopefully you can find it here in the Engine Swaps area or the poster may chime in

Merc 03-15-2019 12:04 PM

Saw something about it being a venturi set up. I'm wondering if the fuel was so old it somehow clogged it. I'm probably going to have to pop it open and take a look. Just figured I'd check see if anyone had dealt with something similar. Thanks

Sportsguy83 03-16-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 3196375)
Saw something about it being a venturi set up. I'm wondering if the fuel was so old it somehow clogged it. I'm probably going to have to pop it open and take a look. Just figured I'd check see if anyone had dealt with something similar. Thanks

The system is constantly pulling fuel from the passenger side (that side does not have a pump) into the driver's side where there is a pump. I don't know the electrical details of the non-pump side. It's possible there are other electronics involved in the passenger side in order to pull fuel from that side, so it's possible you only drained the fuel that was already on the fuel pump side.

Merc 03-16-2019 04:27 PM

Update went back next day and tested again and was able to pump a few more gallons (only had two 5 gallon containers). The first night approximately 7 gallons till the pump audibly and visually was running almost dry with little surges. Second night about 2-3 gallons pumped out no issue. It seems the system may be slow to pull from the other side because of obstruction or simply how slowly it pulls naturally. Fuel was 91 over a year old as a reference. I'm hoping it was something that worked itself out by use. Going to drain last couple gallons tonight maybe add in some stabilizer or cleaner. I suppose I could experiment and add it back in and test see if I have the same issue.

Merc 03-18-2019 05:41 AM

Update to my experiment which probably won't really help anybody ever besides neurotic people like myself. After refilling and testing again I got the same results as the first time. I was able to pump approximately 7 gallons fairly quickly and then the pump started to run a little dry with surges of fuel. Conclusion the venturi system is too slow if you need to pump fuel into your engine at a rate of say 2 gallons per minute but should be ok below that.
Disclaimer this is in no way an actual scientific experiment and a variance of 2-3 beers should be added to all calculations, or maybe subtracted.

Ashikabi 03-18-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 3197182)
Update to my experiment which probably won't really help anybody ever besides neurotic people like myself. After refilling and testing again I got the same results as the first time. I was able to pump approximately 7 gallons fairly quickly and then the pump started to run a little dry with surges of fuel. Conclusion the venturi system is too slow if you need to pump fuel into your engine at a rate of say 2 gallons per minute but should be ok below that.
Disclaimer this is in no way an actual scientific experiment and a variance of 2-3 beers should be added to all calculations, or maybe subtracted.

2 gallons a minute seems pretty steep. We can probably manage to stay below that

solidsnake11 06-26-2020 12:44 AM

Just for info the venturi works off the fuel returning to the tank or in our case the fuel that the regulator bypasses to hold 58lbs. So if you unhook the fuel line and pump fuel in a jug the regulator isn't bypassing any fuel so the venturi will not work. The only transferring that is happening is from gravity siphon.

I'm trying to figure out a cheap 485 install. I thought about getting a small pump and putting in the passenger side to pump to the factory pump basket. This would bypass the veturi jet pump and definitely fill up the factory basket.

Also part of the bypassed fuel is squirted in where the versus door goes I would assume to help hold the fuel in the basket


Funny thing if your running out of fuel going around the track you could use a higher flow pump to keep more fuel in the factory basket. Kind of backwards of normal thinking.

Ashikabi 06-28-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3344296)
Just for info the venturi works off the fuel returning to the tank or in our case the fuel that the regulator bypasses to hold 58lbs. So if you unhook the fuel line and pump fuel in a jug the regulator isn't bypassing any fuel so the venturi will not work. The only transferring that is happening is from gravity siphon.

I'm trying to figure out a cheap 485 install. I thought about getting a small pump and putting in the passenger side to pump to the factory pump basket. This would bypass the veturi jet pump and definitely fill up the factory basket.

Also part of the bypassed fuel is squirted in where the versus door goes I would assume to help hold the fuel in the basket


Funny thing if your running out of fuel going around the track you could use a higher flow pump to keep more fuel in the factory basket. Kind of backwards of normal thinking.

A very small pump would keep the basket full because it doesn't have to maintain any pressure

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

solidsnake11 06-29-2020 12:11 PM

Only problem the pump would have to be able to run dry for an extended time.

Ashikabi 06-29-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3345082)
Only problem the pump would have to be able to run dry for an extended time.

Does such a thing exist?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.