Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need advice... changing oil filter (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125014)

redwine 01-29-2018 01:17 PM

Need advice... changing oil filter
 
Hello,

I am thinking to do a mid-interval EO & Oil Filter change myself.
Have some question regarding the oil filter....

The Svc Manual state "Use an oil filter wrench with a size of 80 mm (3.15 in"),
Is the tooling in the link the correct size for my Brz ?
I suppose it will work on any Oil Filter that is compatible with Brz right, or at least most oil filter brand ?

https://www.lazada.sg/sunshine-903-a...7376c303yVEgKk


Also,
if you dont have a torque meter,
the Manual state "3/4 turn".
That means upon "finger tight" (filter lip touching the base),
you turn another 270deg right ?


Thanks

8RZ 01-29-2018 01:46 PM

It all depends on which filter was used. The one in the link looks like it will fit the OEM filter and possibly 80% of all the filters out there.

I didn't need any tools when removing mine, it came off with a little elbow grease. I have only screwed them on until hand tight. Just check for leaks after you crank it up.

Grady 01-29-2018 02:31 PM

3/4 turn after touching is correct of you do not have torque wrench. This filter is easy to access so a wrench for removal should not be needed if installed and lubricated corect. Instead of oil use Dow Corning DC4 or equivalent to lubricate gasket when installing. Will make removal a lot easier.

bcj 01-29-2018 03:24 PM

You don't need a specific wrench. The filter is on top and fairly easy to access.
I use a strap wrench since I already had one. Hand tighten only.
Check each time that the gasket hasn't stuck onto the block and clean the surface.

The FuMoto quick drain oil pan plug replacement comes in handy to get the old oil out.
This should be torqued to spec, but that's only once and you won't strip the plug hole later.

asdf 01-29-2018 03:39 PM

The location of the filter makes it nice and easy, as mentioned. When removing, a strap wrench or one of these makes it a snap if hand-twist is not sufficient.
https://contentinfo.autozonepro.com/...25320/image/3/

Tighten according to specifications in manual, check for leaks after installation.

reeves 01-29-2018 04:49 PM

If you can't remove it by hand, just wait til the engine/filter is cold.. it'll twist off alot easier. If you can't remove it by hand when it's cold, then it was over-tightened when it was previously put on.

And yes, tighten it 3/4 turn once the filter touches the base is correct.

FirstWinter 01-29-2018 08:37 PM

I use this oil filter tool with a ratchet to remove. For tightening I use hand tight + a little bit more.

humfrz 01-29-2018 08:39 PM

Bubba says just to stick a screwdriver in it and turn ......:thumbup:

(however, Bubba's hands are so greasy, he can't get a grip on them ..... because he don't use none of those sissy blue shop gloves)


humfrz

redwine 01-30-2018 08:14 AM

Appreciate all the responses. :thanks:

You guys must have strong hand.
The only torque meter i have only goes up to 50 lbf-inc.
(the manual torque setting is 14Nm / 124 Ibf-inc)

Yes, i like the location of the oil filter :laughabove:
Wouldnt bother if its beside the engine sump.
(Dont have Jack Stand & my head cant clear the bottom gap)

I intend to DIY every alternate EO change (by oil pump).
So the wrench will be helpful.


Rgds

8RZ 01-30-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwine (Post 3036058)
You guys must have strong hand.

Well, I don't like to brag... lol.

Having a pump will eliminate the need to even jack up the car and crawl under (although with the Fumoto valve it makes it very easy and quick), I've been thinking about buying one too.

finch1750 01-30-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3036061)
Well, I don't like to brag... lol.

Having a pump will eliminate the need to even jack up the car and crawl under (although with the Fumoto valve it makes it very easy and quick), I've been thinking about buying one too.


Fumoto plus ramps (I use Cusco Jack Assists ramps). No tools required

Tcoat 01-30-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwine (Post 3036058)

I intend to DIY every alternate EO change (by oil pump).
So the wrench will be helpful.


Rgds

Was never a fan of the idea of pumping oil out. You don't get the same flushing effect and it can leave heavier bits and the worst sludge behind. Not that you should have heavier bits nor sludge but just in case...

FirstWinter 01-30-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3036204)
I use Cusco Jack Assists ramps

Baller over here I see. I use wood planks from the hardware store. Endless customization with it as well for whatever you need. Don't think my car would make it up most ramps anyways because it's lowered.

humfrz 01-30-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3036061)
Well, I don't like to brag... lol.

Does that come from years of milking cows by hand ...... or masturbation ......??

:D


humfrz

humfrz 01-30-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3036222)
Was never a fan of the idea of pumping oil out. You don't get the same flushing effect and it can leave heavier bits and the worst sludge behind. Not that you should have heavier bits nor sludge but just in case...

I agree ...... the only time oil should be pumped out, is when one is getting it out of the ground .........:popcorn:


humfrz

8RZ 01-30-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3036324)
Does that come from years of milking cows by hand ...... or masturbation ......??

:D


humfrz

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160618185223

finch1750 01-30-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstWinter (Post 3036322)
Baller over here I see. I use wood planks from the hardware store. Endless customization with it as well for whatever you need. Don't think my car would make it up most ramps anyways because it's lowered.



I was 2-2.5" dropped at one point. The cusco ramps are super low pro


https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pVWNKg2vAtk/hqdefault.jpg

humfrz 01-30-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3036330)

This is a test to see if you have ever milked a cow .....:)

* what are "cow kickers" and why are they used ..??

* what do you do with a cow's tail when you're milking a cow, why ... ??

If you don't know the answers to these questions, your grip strength must come from masturbation ...... :iono:

:D


humfrz

8RZ 01-30-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3036338)
This is a test to see if you have ever milked a cow .....:)

* what are "cow kickers" and why are they used ..??

* what do you do with a cow's tail when you're milking a cow, why ... ??

If you don't know the answers to these questions, your grip strength must come from masturbation ...... :iono:

:D


humfrz

They lock the hind legs so you don't get a hoof in your face lol.

And you tuck the tail under your knee while milking.

Capt Spaulding 01-30-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3036324)
Does that come from years of milking cows by hand ...... or masturbation ......??

:D


humfrz

Wasn't it Mae West who said, "sex is like bridge. If you have a lousy partner you better have a good hand."

humfrz 01-30-2018 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding (Post 3036427)
Wasn't it Mae West who said, "sex is like bridge. If you have a lousy partner you better have a good hand."

Ahhhh ........YES! ........ my old flame ........ :wub:

Not really ........ I ain't THAT old!

:D


humfrz

humfrz 01-30-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3036341)
They lock the hind legs so you don't get a hoof in your face lol.

And you tuck the tail under your knee while milking.

Yaaaaa............ ol 8RZ has milked some cows in his time ........ :w00t:


humfrz


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.